Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Team to start against Bolton 16:23 - Sep 10 with 8529 viewschristiand

Based on who is currently available, what would be your formation and starting XI for the match against Bolton next Saturday?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Team to start against Bolton on 16:26 - Sep 10 with 8514 viewsgt81

Bart

Spence - Connolly - Iorfa - Knudsen

Rowe - Adeyemi - Downes - Celina

Waghorn - McGoldrick
Team to start against Bolton on 16:32 - Sep 10 with 8491 viewsjas0999

Team to start against Bolton on 16:26 - Sep 10 by gt81

Bart

Spence - Connolly - Iorfa - Knudsen

Rowe - Adeyemi - Downes - Celina

Waghorn - McGoldrick

Garner for Waghorn, but otherwise decent considering the players we have.
Team to start against Bolton on 16:40 - Sep 10 with 8483 viewsLuk38644

I think it will be - 442

Bart
Connoly Iorfa Spence Knudsen (Assuming Chambers isn't fit)
Ward Skuse Adeyemi Celina
Garner McG

I would like it to be - 4231

Bart
Spence Iorfa Knudsen Kenlock
Skuse Adeyemi
Rowe McGoldrick Celina
Garner
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 16:40]
Team to start against Bolton on 16:58 - Sep 10 with 8445 viewschristiand

Team to start against Bolton on 16:40 - Sep 10 by Luk38644

I think it will be - 442

Bart
Connoly Iorfa Spence Knudsen (Assuming Chambers isn't fit)
Ward Skuse Adeyemi Celina
Garner McG

I would like it to be - 4231

Bart
Skuse Adeyemi
Rowe McGoldrick Celina
Garner
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 16:40]

For all the injuries we currently have, MM does have options. I just hope he now decides to play players in their rightful position. Forget about Waghorn and Sears on the flanks.

4-4-2

Bart
Connolly, Spence, Iorfa, Knudsen
Celina, Downes, Adeyemi, Rowe (I know he won't drop Skuse, but think these two centrally would offer us more)
McGoldrick and Garner

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Team to start against Bolton on 19:27 - Sep 10 with 8279 viewsGarv

Bart
Spence><Iorfa Knudsen Kenlock
Adeyemi Downes
Rowe McGoldrick Celina
Garner

We're at home. Have a go, but no Waghorn/Sears out wide, to start with anyway.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Team to start against Bolton on 22:38 - Sep 10 with 8139 viewsDinnernotTea

Bolton are bottom on -9 GD. Anything other than going for their throats from off isn't acceptable.

Bart
Ward Downes Skuse Celina
McG
Garner

McG withdrawn from Garner to let him do what he wants but that will only work if we give it to him early and Downes/Ward/Celina bomb on to support.

We won't go for their throat, it will a warning shot on the Friday of "I don't care where they are in the league, they have some real good players. TC said 4 of them should be at Madrid/Barca by now. You know there's no easy games. We have injuries." Etc.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Team to start against Bolton on 23:08 - Sep 10 with 8114 viewsLuk38644

Team to start against Bolton on 19:27 - Sep 10 by Garv

Bart
Spence><Iorfa Knudsen Kenlock
Adeyemi Downes
Rowe McGoldrick Celina
Garner

We're at home. Have a go, but no Waghorn/Sears out wide, to start with anyway.

I'd go with that but probably start Skuse with Adeyemi going box-to-box.

Think we need to nail down a system/formation, find the right personnel to fit it and go from there. We can't keep shoehorning hard-working strikers into wide positions, it doesn't work in the long run.
Team to start against Bolton on 02:56 - Sep 11 with 8047 viewsharlingblue

Bart
Connelly, Spence, Knudsen, Kenlock

Rowe, Adeyemi, Downes, Celina

Garner, McGoldrick

This is a team geared to attack from the onset against a team lacking in form. Skuse could get the nod to play instead of Adeyemi, but Celina must start, he could be our 'Tom Lawrence' of this season. Spence and Knudsen although normally full backs, have shown a good understanding as centre backs, and should maintain that position until we have a return from injury and fitness of Chambers, Smith and Webster.
Login to get fewer ads

Team to start against Bolton on 08:12 - Sep 11 with 7967 viewsHerbivore

I think we need to play three in the middle of the park, most sides play three in the middle and it's one of the biggest reasons we often lose the midfield battle. I'd go with:

Bart

Connolly
Spence
Iorfa
Knudsen

Ward
Skuse
Downes

Waghorn
McGoldrick
Celina

Harsh on Garner but I'd like to see him come on against tired legs and I think this side has the legs and ability to not need to have him as a target man. Adeyemi to also come off the bench to give fresh legs in the kid field. I do think that overall with Huws out the midfield is tougher to balance, he's a natural in the left hand channel in a midfield three and none of our other options are and for me a midfield three is the way forward if we want to player a better brand of football with more emphasis on possession. There are very few possession based sides playing 4-4-2.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Team to start against Bolton on 08:41 - Sep 11 with 7941 viewsNo9

Team to start against Bolton on 23:08 - Sep 10 by Luk38644

I'd go with that but probably start Skuse with Adeyemi going box-to-box.

Think we need to nail down a system/formation, find the right personnel to fit it and go from there. We can't keep shoehorning hard-working strikers into wide positions, it doesn't work in the long run.

But you know Skuse isn't ever going to be a - box to box player & Adeyemi has presently to show what he can do on a regular basis?
Team to start against Bolton on 10:10 - Sep 11 with 7878 viewsmuccletonjoe

Play celina but keep it tight and make sure we get 3points
Team to start against Bolton on 10:29 - Sep 11 with 7843 viewsgt81

Team to start against Bolton on 08:12 - Sep 11 by Herbivore

I think we need to play three in the middle of the park, most sides play three in the middle and it's one of the biggest reasons we often lose the midfield battle. I'd go with:

Bart

Connolly
Spence
Iorfa
Knudsen

Ward
Skuse
Downes

Waghorn
McGoldrick
Celina

Harsh on Garner but I'd like to see him come on against tired legs and I think this side has the legs and ability to not need to have him as a target man. Adeyemi to also come off the bench to give fresh legs in the kid field. I do think that overall with Huws out the midfield is tougher to balance, he's a natural in the left hand channel in a midfield three and none of our other options are and for me a midfield three is the way forward if we want to player a better brand of football with more emphasis on possession. There are very few possession based sides playing 4-4-2.

I was also tempted by a 4-3-3, given our weaknesses out wide, or even a 4-5-1, heaven forbid, but we must do something about that midfield.
Team to start against Bolton on 16:51 - Sep 11 with 7722 viewsNo9

Team to start against Bolton on 10:29 - Sep 11 by gt81

I was also tempted by a 4-3-3, given our weaknesses out wide, or even a 4-5-1, heaven forbid, but we must do something about that midfield.

Yes midfield problem must be resolved ASAP.
& against Bolton Town must go for a win
Team to start against Bolton on 17:03 - Sep 11 with 7704 viewsLuk38644

Team to start against Bolton on 08:41 - Sep 11 by No9

But you know Skuse isn't ever going to be a - box to box player & Adeyemi has presently to show what he can do on a regular basis?

I didn't word it correctly, I meant Adeyemi going box-to-box with Skuse doing his usual 'holding' job.
Team to start against Bolton on 18:35 - Sep 11 with 7655 viewsgt81

Team to start against Bolton on 17:03 - Sep 11 by Luk38644

I didn't word it correctly, I meant Adeyemi going box-to-box with Skuse doing his usual 'holding' job.

With respect, I'd rather not have a holding midfielder in a home game with Bolton.

We need to attack them and exploit their weakness.
Team to start against Bolton on 09:43 - Sep 12 with 7549 viewsPilgrimblue

Team to start against Bolton on 18:35 - Sep 11 by gt81

With respect, I'd rather not have a holding midfielder in a home game with Bolton.

ME too as in reality Skuse is only an extra defender.

With Downes and Adeyewi we've got two box to box so play Roxe and Celina out wide and then have TWO in attack as one doesn't work for me. Garner gets isolated and so little benefit from him winning headers as defence picked him off so easily at QPR.
Just imagine two wingers putting in dangerous crosses to two attackers!
Team to start against Bolton on 11:13 - Sep 12 with 7502 viewsLankHenners

It's perfectly possible to play attacking football with high(er) chance creation whilst still having a holding or more defensive minded midfielder playing.

There seems to be an odd school of thought from some on here who believe that the removal of one player will suddenly transform the whole team into fast-paced, fluid attacking outfit that will create lots of chances and score more goals. Might help a tad but there are far more factors than that.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2017 11:13]

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Team to start against Bolton on 11:25 - Sep 12 with 7487 viewsPilgrimblue

Team to start against Bolton on 11:13 - Sep 12 by LankHenners

It's perfectly possible to play attacking football with high(er) chance creation whilst still having a holding or more defensive minded midfielder playing.

There seems to be an odd school of thought from some on here who believe that the removal of one player will suddenly transform the whole team into fast-paced, fluid attacking outfit that will create lots of chances and score more goals. Might help a tad but there are far more factors than that.

Old School!! Having a laugh as if it was we'd have more fluid midfielders who can create. Never saw anyone as slow and negative as Skuse at PR before. Trouble is that he fits MM style so unless he gets injured he'll be on team sheet till end of season.
Team to start against Bolton on 11:55 - Sep 12 with 7464 viewsblue75

It's not the formation we've got the worry about, it's the attitude of the team. McCarthy will want to grind Bolton down bore them in to submission, we need to attack with short passes quick movement use the strike force we've got to best ability.

Poll: Should McCarthy be sacked after telling Ipswich fans where to go?

Team to start against Bolton on 12:56 - Sep 12 with 7420 viewsIpswichTownNL

About time we battered a team.

------------------------Bart--------------------------
Spence-----Iorfa----------Knudsen---Kenlock
---------------------Adeyemi----------------------
Ward------------------------------------Celina-----
---------------------McGoldrick---------------------
------Garner---------------------Waghorn--------

Dutch Tractor Boys! Follow on Twitter; @IpswichTownNL

Team to start against Bolton on 17:42 - Sep 12 with 7320 viewsgt81

Team to start against Bolton on 11:13 - Sep 12 by LankHenners

Yes it possible, but Skuse is no Championship version of Nemanja Matic or N'Golo Kante.

When Skuse plays we play to a philosophy, and that philosophy is to sit back, absorb pressure and hope we can score a couple on a direct counter. Sometimes it works, a la Barnsley and Millwall, most of the time it doesn't, a la Fulham, QPR and most of the last two seasons.

To change the philosophy, we must overcome our reliance on Skuse, who isn't going to be around forever.
Team to start against Bolton on 18:35 - Sep 12 with 7275 viewsNazemariner

A holding midfielder gives other players the freedom to attack.
Team to start against Bolton on 18:47 - Sep 12 with 7259 viewsNazemariner

If I was picking the team it would be the following;

4-3-3

Bart
Kenlock
Knudsen
Spence
Iorfa

Skuse
Adeyemi
Downes

Celina
Garner
Ward

I love McGoldrick, but I'm not sure if there is room in the team for both him and Celina.

However, I think MM will pick the following;

4-4-2

Bart
Knudsen
Spence
Iorfa
Connolly

Waghorn
Skuse
Downes
Ward

McGoldrick