Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To my shame.... 08:50 - Jan 5 with 3394 viewsitfcjoe

...I've never given blood before.

Decided to do it and it has taken months for an appointment but it is today.

Any advice re preparation and after - I'm not particularly squeamish (although does anyone like needles?) so not worried about that side of it - more just when should I eat around it, guessing important to keep fluid levels up(?) and will I be alright to play footy a few hours afer.

Any advice from regulars will be good!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

To my shame.... on 08:55 - Jan 5 with 3364 viewsBluefish

Well done. I've posted on here quite a few times to encourage others to do so. Doesn't matter when you start so long as you start.

They will give you fluids before but have a pint of juice before and make sure you have eaten. I would not recommend football after, by the next day you will be fine but you will get dizzy playing that night,having said that I have a few times but try not to.

Get the next one booked while you are there and it will soon become regular. The app is good for rescheduling if you need to.

Well done mate today you could save someone's life

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

To my shame.... on 08:55 - Jan 5 with 3364 viewsartsbossbeard

The Spinners can help

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

To my shame.... on 08:55 - Jan 5 with 3363 viewsSWGF

Done it about 25 times.

My tip: don't be such a wuss!

I'd suggest you're big enough to handle a pint of blood being taken without too much fuss.

Free crisps and orange squash. They'll even give you a sticker for Joe Jnr.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

To my shame.... on 08:57 - Jan 5 with 3352 viewsBluebell

Don't panic. You won't feel any different afterwards.

Just do as you normally do. They will give you a drink and a biscuit after and you will have to sit down for 10 minutes or so but then you shouldn't have any side effects.

I gave blood for many years reaching gold badge stage and never felt any different.

But I'm female.
To my shame.... on 08:57 - Jan 5 with 3349 viewswitchdoctor

you have to make an appointment these days?..I haven’t donated for a while but it used to be a walk in affair....can’t say that I ever had any ill effects afterwards...one time, one guy who was donating for the first time had a few pints to steady his nerves and as sent away for doing so ..😂well done for doing so Joe...👍
To my shame.... on 08:59 - Jan 5 with 3333 viewsBluebell

To my shame.... on 08:57 - Jan 5 by witchdoctor

you have to make an appointment these days?..I haven’t donated for a while but it used to be a walk in affair....can’t say that I ever had any ill effects afterwards...one time, one guy who was donating for the first time had a few pints to steady his nerves and as sent away for doing so ..😂well done for doing so Joe...👍

I used to get a card telling me when it was due but then I guess if it's the first time to you may need to make an appointment.
To my shame.... on 09:04 - Jan 5 with 3322 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

To my shame.... on 08:57 - Jan 5 by Bluebell

Don't panic. You won't feel any different afterwards.

Just do as you normally do. They will give you a drink and a biscuit after and you will have to sit down for 10 minutes or so but then you shouldn't have any side effects.

I gave blood for many years reaching gold badge stage and never felt any different.

But I'm female.

Did it affect your footie performance in the evenings after ?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

To my shame.... on 09:39 - Jan 5 with 3276 viewsBasuco

I gave my 52nd pint last week and you feel no different after a donation, you will be fine to play football after. If you need an operation the last thing you think of is "is there enough blood?" should you need a top up. So we should all just give it a go if medically possible, it might be you that needs that extra pint or two of blood, if everyone thinks "someone else will give it I am not" then hospitals will run out.
Login to get fewer ads

To my shame.... on 09:41 - Jan 5 with 3268 viewsBasuco

To my shame.... on 09:04 - Jan 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

Did it affect your footie performance in the evenings after ?

I used to do a hard training session on the cycle after donating in the past, there will be less red blood cells to carry oxygen so you will not be at full strength, they will say no but just carry on as normal and see how you feel. I was fine.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2018 9:43]
To my shame.... on 09:41 - Jan 5 with 3266 viewsBluefish

To my shame.... on 09:39 - Jan 5 by Basuco

I gave my 52nd pint last week and you feel no different after a donation, you will be fine to play football after. If you need an operation the last thing you think of is "is there enough blood?" should you need a top up. So we should all just give it a go if medically possible, it might be you that needs that extra pint or two of blood, if everyone thinks "someone else will give it I am not" then hospitals will run out.

I've given 23 and i feel no different afterwards but I do if i run around a football pitch. It can be done be isn't recommended. He will feel lighter headed than normal playing football

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

To my shame.... on 09:49 - Jan 5 with 3247 viewsITFC_Forever

I really should do as well, given what my brother has been through in his last 15 months, it would be the least I could do to give something back.

Unfortunately I am too old to donate stem-cells (they like the donors to be not much older than 30-ish), so giving blood would be the next best thing.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

To my shame.... on 09:56 - Jan 5 with 3230 viewsHeathlander

If you go out the same day for a few beers you get drunk really quick :)
To my shame.... on 10:41 - Jan 5 with 3198 viewsitfcjoe

To my shame.... on 08:55 - Jan 5 by SWGF

Done it about 25 times.

My tip: don't be such a wuss!

I'd suggest you're big enough to handle a pint of blood being taken without too much fuss.

Free crisps and orange squash. They'll even give you a sticker for Joe Jnr.

I'm not being a wuss, not overly worried about doing it - just wanted to make sure I was as prepared as can be and what expectations were for footy tonight etc....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

To my shame.... on 11:14 - Jan 5 with 3157 viewsSWGF

To my shame.... on 10:41 - Jan 5 by itfcjoe

I'm not being a wuss, not overly worried about doing it - just wanted to make sure I was as prepared as can be and what expectations were for footy tonight etc....

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

To my shame.... on 12:05 - Jan 5 with 3116 viewshampstead_blue

sink a beer or two after....you'll get really lightheaded. The cheapest rush for the money. Also, snack-up. The place I go in London does great snackage.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

To my shame.... on 12:14 - Jan 5 with 3093 viewsGeoffSentence

Make sure you don't take any drugs before hand, not even over the counter stuff like paracetamol.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

To my shame.... on 13:49 - Jan 5 with 3018 viewsBluespeed225

I hit 50 pints last month, it’s come on leaps and bounds since I started, painless, no bruising, up and out in an hour. Only thing was I donated at the church opposite Northgate, and though they give the Hall for free, their beliefs state no tea or coffee allowed on site!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024