Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages 22:31 - Feb 1 with 4940 viewsBluedanW

McCarthy said in this interview that he couldn't believe the wages being demanded by some of the players he was hoping to get in on loan. He says the market at Championship level has become over inflated. Evans has created a structure of wages which would be upset if we started to bring in players on more money.

With the current wages and transfer fees we are offering we surely cannot stay In this level of football. It seems to.me without Any new investment we cannot expect to stay in this division. We have to accept the inevitable that if we keep to the financial model we are currently at we are heading for a journey further down the football pyramid. I fear league one could even one day become too expensive to compete in

[Post edited 1 Feb 2018 22:33]
McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 22:38 - Feb 1 with 4878 viewsBent_double

I guess we might as well throw in the towel now then and request relegation straight to L2 for next season.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 22:39 - Feb 1 with 4877 viewsGarv

Our wages are about average/below average for the division aren't they? If we continue to make adequate free transfers and loans and pay the same sort of wages I don't see why we can't stay in the league.

Things can get worse though, I grant you.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 22:46 - Feb 1 with 4863 viewsBluedanW

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 22:39 - Feb 1 by Garv

Our wages are about average/below average for the division aren't they? If we continue to make adequate free transfers and loans and pay the same sort of wages I don't see why we can't stay in the league.

Things can get worse though, I grant you.

I'm one of McCarthys biggest outers but I have to give it to him that he has brought in some good players on free transfers/ great deals. Garner & Wagner brilliant signings. We cannot expect to keep bringing in diamonds like them for next to nothing. Eventually the lower wages will cause us issues in the long run. If similar teams to us like sheff Wednesday who have been out of the top flight for many years are offering much larger salaries they will turn players heads. I agree throwing shed loads of money at players isn't the answer either but there must be a happy medium which I believe we are still way below.
McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 23:04 - Feb 1 with 4808 viewsArnieM

Under Evans, Ipswich Town is now being run as a League Two outfit in all but name.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 23:28 - Feb 1 with 4763 viewsCoastalblue

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 22:46 - Feb 1 by BluedanW

I'm one of McCarthys biggest outers but I have to give it to him that he has brought in some good players on free transfers/ great deals. Garner & Wagner brilliant signings. We cannot expect to keep bringing in diamonds like them for next to nothing. Eventually the lower wages will cause us issues in the long run. If similar teams to us like sheff Wednesday who have been out of the top flight for many years are offering much larger salaries they will turn players heads. I agree throwing shed loads of money at players isn't the answer either but there must be a happy medium which I believe we are still way below.

I think it maybe shows the difference that investing albeit modest fees makes though. If you go looking for a player in our wage bracket but you have up to £0.5M in your back pocket if you need it then that most open up a whole wealth of options that are just not there if you're looking purely at freebies.

That extra choice might mean being able to get a better fit for the team rather than someone you hope will fit.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 23:42 - Feb 1 with 4735 viewsfloridablue

I'm guessing it will not be to far in the future before the 'American way' salary caps are introduced. Also end of season MLS rules release each players season earnings for anyone to view.
McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 01:02 - Feb 2 with 4710 viewsGuthrum

You say we surely can't stay at this level, but I don't entirely agree. I think, with shrewd acquisitions, careful management and maybe not being utterly battered with injuries every season, we could well stay at this level.

Town do not have the squad cohesion/fall from grace problems which beset some of the former big boys who have plummeted past us on the way to League One. Neither do we have the underdog mentality of some teams just coming up to the Champ. Ipswich are not addicted to ruinous spending, nor do we have extremely costly players on the books. We know this division probably better than anybody. There are few illusions.

I can see us staying here a lot longer than many expect - it's just we'd stand very little chance of getting promoted (at least without a big slice of good fortune).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 01:19 - Feb 2 with 4693 viewsIllinoisblue

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 01:02 - Feb 2 by Guthrum

You say we surely can't stay at this level, but I don't entirely agree. I think, with shrewd acquisitions, careful management and maybe not being utterly battered with injuries every season, we could well stay at this level.

Town do not have the squad cohesion/fall from grace problems which beset some of the former big boys who have plummeted past us on the way to League One. Neither do we have the underdog mentality of some teams just coming up to the Champ. Ipswich are not addicted to ruinous spending, nor do we have extremely costly players on the books. We know this division probably better than anybody. There are few illusions.

I can see us staying here a lot longer than many expect - it's just we'd stand very little chance of getting promoted (at least without a big slice of good fortune).

one man's fall from grace is another man's bloated parachute payment. Largely though I agree with you; we have just enough about us to stay up, yet not nearly enough about us to get up. We're going to be in Division 2 for a long time...

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 07:25 - Feb 2 with 4526 viewsKeaneish

Hypocrisy given how much MM reportedly takes home.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 07:54 - Feb 2 with 4473 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 07:25 - Feb 2 by Keaneish

Of course, Evans only pays him that much as he makes a profit on tax from it

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 07:59 - Feb 2 with 4452 viewsSuperfrans

How much is he paid then?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 08:13 - Feb 2 with 4428 viewsSWGF

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 01:02 - Feb 2 by Guthrum

"we could well stay at this level"

Which number is that in the five point plan?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 10:09 - Feb 2 with 4311 viewsGuthrum

Even if McCarthy was on as much as £1m per year (which I don't think he is, without bonuses, given the size of our wage budget and the number of people on it), that's only £20k per week. Is it not reasonable that the Manager should be on a higher salary than the players under him?

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 10:09 - Feb 2 with 4309 viewsGuthrum

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 08:13 - Feb 2 by SWGF

"we could well stay at this level"

Which number is that in the five point plan?

Point 6 - reality bites.

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 10:13 - Feb 2 with 4303 viewsSWGF

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 10:09 - Feb 2 by Guthrum

Point 6 - reality bites.

#cleggout

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 10:14 - Feb 2 with 4301 viewsGuthrum

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 01:19 - Feb 2 by Illinoisblue

one man's fall from grace is another man's bloated parachute payment. Largely though I agree with you; we have just enough about us to stay up, yet not nearly enough about us to get up. We're going to be in Division 2 for a long time...

As we've seen quite a few times now, parachute payments on their own are not enough, needing to be coupled with wise spending, good squad management and cohesive team building.

I was talking about the apparent crushing effect on morale from being relegated out of the Prem, then finding life in the Championship is a real struggle, too. Too much belief in the PL myth of superiority, if you like.

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 10:28 - Feb 2 with 4280 viewsKeaneish

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 07:59 - Feb 2 by Superfrans

How much is he paid then?

Gives you a rough idea, doesn't it? This is consistent with other reports around the time he signed.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/stepping-back-into-ireland-job-could-cos

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 10:31 - Feb 2 with 4273 viewsKeaneish

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 10:09 - Feb 2 by Guthrum

Even if McCarthy was on as much as £1m per year (which I don't think he is, without bonuses, given the size of our wage budget and the number of people on it), that's only £20k per week. Is it not reasonable that the Manager should be on a higher salary than the players under him?

No its not, i've always thought it bizarre that players earn more than the management but we won't have anyone in our squad pushing any where near that figure. Is MM on £20k a week? Who knows. A lot of money given the context of our paltry budget if he is.

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 11:30 - Feb 2 with 4221 viewsGuthrum

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 10:31 - Feb 2 by Keaneish

No its not, i've always thought it bizarre that players earn more than the management but we won't have anyone in our squad pushing any where near that figure. Is MM on £20k a week? Who knows. A lot of money given the context of our paltry budget if he is.

Looking at the size of our wage budget (which includes playing and coaching staff), which for 2016-17 was £17.78m. That's got to be split between the 37 senior players, the Manager and his Assistant plus all the other coaches and back-room staff (I'm not sure whether the Youths, the Academy, admin and service people are included in that figure).

That number will also include bonuses such as winning and goals.

There's not enough money there for McCarthy to be on too big a wedge.

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 17:44 - Feb 2 with 3973 viewsGeoffSentence

McCarthy's comments about mind boggling wages on 23:04 - Feb 1 by ArnieM

Under Evans, Ipswich Town is now being run as a League Two outfit in all but name.

In all but name and league position

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024