Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich bird watch latest 08:39 - May 4 with 1833 viewsDubtractor

Just had a bloody heron land on my lawn whilst I was eating my breakfast.

They are a bit big when put in a garden setting! My cats weren't too sure what to do about it either, weighed it up and decided it was prob out of their league.

I'll have to keep an eye on my fish stocks now though........

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Ipswich bird watch latest on 08:44 - May 4 with 1821 viewsartsbossbeard

You're best off scaring it off next time it lands otherwise your fish stocks will be breakfast, lunch & dinner.

They do look a bit sh1t but pick up one of those plastic herons from a garden centre. They're extremely territorial creatures but keen to avoid conflict with other herons.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Ipswich bird watch latest on 09:03 - May 4 with 1789 viewsPinewoodblue

Ipswich bird watch latest on 08:44 - May 4 by artsbossbeard

You're best off scaring it off next time it lands otherwise your fish stocks will be breakfast, lunch & dinner.

They do look a bit sh1t but pick up one of those plastic herons from a garden centre. They're extremely territorial creatures but keen to avoid conflict with other herons.

Considering they tend to nest in close proximity to others it is strange how they can be territorial.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Ipswich bird watch latest on 09:09 - May 4 with 1771 viewsartsbossbeard

Ipswich bird watch latest on 09:03 - May 4 by Pinewoodblue

Considering they tend to nest in close proximity to others it is strange how they can be territorial.

They feed singularly and will have preferred lakes/ponds/streams that they will defend but then nest together.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Ipswich bird watch latest on 09:14 - May 4 with 1764 viewsGeoffSentence

Ipswich bird watch latest on 09:03 - May 4 by Pinewoodblue

Different birds display differing territorial behaviour. The one we are most familiar with is that exhibited by some garden birds like blackbirds where they have a defended feeding territory with the nest at the heart of it.

Some other birds, like gannets have a tiny territory, just around the nest itself. similarly starlings and rooks have a small defended territory around the nest, and a larger non-defended feeding territory.

Herons on the other hand nest socially, so have a small nest territory and also hold defended feeding territories.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Ipswich bird watch latest on 09:45 - May 4 with 1736 viewsmrshallisfit

There is a Green Heron I want to see. But unfortunately it is in Pembrokeshire.
Ipswich bird watch latest on 10:36 - May 4 with 1703 viewsTractorWood

Was running up the Cam last week and there was one resting on a lock about 20 feet away. As you say, they are impressive in size.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Ipswich bird watch latest on 10:38 - May 4 with 1702 viewsLord_Lucan

This is actually relatively correct although it isn't foolproof, the only foolproof way is to shoot the fecker but bury it quickly as they are protected - and get up early because they always sh1t the bed

Another way is to surround the perimeter of the pond with two laps of fishing line about 18" from the water, one about 10" high and one about 18". Herons won't land on the pond, they will always walk up to it and when they feel the line it will spook them and they will fly off.

Edit; That was meant for Dubs
[Post edited 4 May 2018 10:49]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ipswich bird watch latest on 10:39 - May 4 with 1701 viewsGeoffSentence

Ipswich bird watch latest on 10:36 - May 4 by TractorWood

Was running up the Cam last week and there was one resting on a lock about 20 feet away. As you say, they are impressive in size.

When taking off close by they really do seem massive, they have a wacking great wingspan.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich bird watch latest on 10:42 - May 4 with 1697 viewsBluebell

I regularly walk at Blenheim Palace and there are dozens nesting there on an island in the middle of the big lake. Very impressive to see them flying round.

We have to keep a net on our pond because herons have cleared out the fish in previous years.

We have been advised to buy one of those imitation thingies but the net seems to work.
Ipswich bird watch latest on 10:48 - May 4 with 1687 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich bird watch latest on 10:42 - May 4 by Bluebell

I regularly walk at Blenheim Palace and there are dozens nesting there on an island in the middle of the big lake. Very impressive to see them flying round.

We have to keep a net on our pond because herons have cleared out the fish in previous years.

We have been advised to buy one of those imitation thingies but the net seems to work.

What's the point of a pond with a net over it?

Try my fishing line tip.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ipswich bird watch latest on 12:49 - May 4 with 1633 viewsDubtractor

I may try one of the plastic herons. Mrs Dub will be delighted with it.......

Don't want to make the pond too inaccessible as my cats, plus loads of birds, use it as a drinking spot.

I'll hold off on shooting the heron for now.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024