Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England/Belgium should be a crap match 19:43 - Jun 25 with 4711 viewsScottCandage

Right now they're totally equal on points, goals scored and goals allowed. If this match is a draw, they have to go to the 7th tiebreaker, fair play (cards against). Belgium have 3 yellows, England 2. So England would win the group as it stands.

The reward for winning the Group? Being put into the bracket where they would have to face the winner of Brazil and Germany.

The punishment for coming in second in the Group? Being put into the bracket where they would have to face the winner of Mexico and Switzerland.

Disincentives abound! Look for LOTS of cards and perhaps a dodgy own goal or five.
England/Belgium should be a crap match on 19:51 - Jun 25 with 4689 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Wrong. The reward of winning is to play the second place out of Japan, Colombia and Senegal.

If we can then beat them we have already over-achieved on expectations and whether we lose to Brazil, Germany, Mexico, Serbia, Sweden or Switzerland will be neither here nor there. Of course, I am sure the players would prefer their day against Brazil or Germany (especially on their current form) and our press won't slate us for losing to either of them (while they probably will f we lose to Switzerland or Sweden at exactly the same stage).

Plus, both managers are likely to put out the second teams where players will want to prove their ability to displace those in possession of the shirt and their readiness to be first in line to come in.

I strongly disagree with your view.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 19:58 - Jun 25 with 4667 viewsScottCandage

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 19:51 - Jun 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

Wrong. The reward of winning is to play the second place out of Japan, Colombia and Senegal.

If we can then beat them we have already over-achieved on expectations and whether we lose to Brazil, Germany, Mexico, Serbia, Sweden or Switzerland will be neither here nor there. Of course, I am sure the players would prefer their day against Brazil or Germany (especially on their current form) and our press won't slate us for losing to either of them (while they probably will f we lose to Switzerland or Sweden at exactly the same stage).

Plus, both managers are likely to put out the second teams where players will want to prove their ability to displace those in possession of the shirt and their readiness to be first in line to come in.

Then I was very misinformed and I apologize.
England/Belgium should be a crap match on 20:01 - Jun 25 with 4660 viewsgordon

The finishing positions in the other groups are up for grabs though - I wouldn't be surprised if Serbia get something against Brazil and the Swiss top the group, for example.
England/Belgium should be a crap match on 20:02 - Jun 25 with 4655 viewsm14_blue

Yep, we shouldn't even be considering trying to engineer an easier route. We ground out a soporific 0-0 draw with slovakia in the group stages at the euros and were rewarded with the 'easy' draw against Iceland. If you want to do well in the World Cup you have to beat the good teams at some point.

Added to that, Brazil may still finish second and Germany may still win their group which would mean the exact reverse is true. Neither of them have looked particularly good anyway.

Let's just do our best to win every game and see where we end up. We're playing well and shouldn't be trying to avoid anyone, maybe the others should be worried about the possibility of coming up against England.

Although I'd much rather play Japan or Senegal than Colombia who were really, really excellent last night.
England/Belgium should be a crap match on 20:04 - Jun 25 with 4643 viewsgordon

Avoiding Colombia will be most important, wherever they finish in their group - I think our hypothetical quarter final opponent will be irrelevant if we get Colombia in the round of 16.
England/Belgium should be a crap match on 20:11 - Jun 25 with 4626 viewsNthsuffolkblue

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 20:04 - Jun 25 by gordon

Avoiding Colombia will be most important, wherever they finish in their group - I think our hypothetical quarter final opponent will be irrelevant if we get Colombia in the round of 16.

We can't avoid all of Japan, Colombia and Senegal though.

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 21:12 - Jun 25 with 4563 viewsbraveblue

Nonsense
England/Belgium should be a crap match on 21:50 - Jun 25 with 4515 viewsTrequartista

It's now a glorified friendly, but not necessarily a crap match.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Login to get fewer ads

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 22:06 - Jun 25 with 4497 viewsRadlett_blue

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 20:02 - Jun 25 by m14_blue

Yep, we shouldn't even be considering trying to engineer an easier route. We ground out a soporific 0-0 draw with slovakia in the group stages at the euros and were rewarded with the 'easy' draw against Iceland. If you want to do well in the World Cup you have to beat the good teams at some point.

Added to that, Brazil may still finish second and Germany may still win their group which would mean the exact reverse is true. Neither of them have looked particularly good anyway.

Let's just do our best to win every game and see where we end up. We're playing well and shouldn't be trying to avoid anyone, maybe the others should be worried about the possibility of coming up against England.

Although I'd much rather play Japan or Senegal than Colombia who were really, really excellent last night.

Martinez has already said he is going to rest plenty of players, especially those already on a yellow, who would miss the first k/o game if they picked up another yellow against England.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 22:21 - Jun 25 with 4474 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 20:11 - Jun 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

We can't avoid all of Japan, Colombia and Senegal though.

Nice to see England are tosh again now the excitement of a 6-1 win has died down

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 22:24 - Jun 25 with 4468 viewsNthsuffolkblue

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 22:21 - Jun 25 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Nice to see England are tosh again now the excitement of a 6-1 win has died down

I don't think my position on it has changed at all.

Very pleased to see England doing well and credit especially to Southgate. Would still be surprised if we progressed further than the quarter finals (although my original prediction was we would struggle to get through the group - which we may have done but for Kane's late goal vs Tunisia).

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 22:52 - Jun 25 with 4436 viewsGogs

I was completely dismissive of England's chances prior to the first game. I thought we'd get 2 draws and a defeat out of the group stage. I'm now eating a large slice of humble pie on those assumptions. England are in good form, albeit having played 2 of the weakest sides in the tournament, should have nothing to fear from anyone in the tournament. I fully expect Southgate to rest 3 or 4 for Belgium, and they'll rest a load too, and i expect it'll end in a draw. Don't worry about which quarter of the draw we go into, it might be one with Brazil and Germany, or one with one of them, or neither of them depending on where they finish. I don't think they're spent forces by any means, but neither of them look great shakes this time around, Neymar bases his game on cheating and Germany do not seem as ruthlessly efficient as normal. I'm not saying England will beat either of them should we get that far, but it's no foregone conclusion either of them would turn England over either. Anyway for what it's worth, I make Spain the likeliest winners of the tournament
England/Belgium should be a crap match on 00:17 - Jun 26 with 4368 viewsBlueBadger

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 19:58 - Jun 25 by ScottCandage

This is a genuine first for TWTD.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 00:40 - Jun 26 with 4350 viewsjjblue84

At last we’ll be able to find out if we’re any good against half decent opposition !
England/Belgium should be a crap match on 02:08 - Jun 26 with 4322 viewsharlingblue

Why should it be a crap game?
It could be an exhibition game, played between two good footballing teams, that have already progressed to the knockout rounds. Hopefully with a good referee.
Not a game with players cheating, feigning injuries, or being aggressive thugs to some poor referees who are not man enough to say that is my decision. A strong referee will let VAR take the back seat, not centre stage.
England/Belgium should be a crap match on 08:34 - Jun 26 with 4192 viewspoppiesman

From what we have seen so far, if anything all other countries should be trying to avoid England, not the other way round!
England/Belgium should be a crap match on 08:41 - Jun 26 with 4179 viewsReuser_is_God

I think it will make the game even better.

2 teams who are good going forward anyway but they now have no pressure of it being a ‘must win’ game.

For me I’m not bothered where we finish in the group now we’ve qualified, all 3 sides we could play are beatable with Columbia probably the best one but I’d still back us against them.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 09:25 - Jun 26 with 4143 viewsfarkenhell

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 22:24 - Jun 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

Very pleased to see England doing well and credit especially to Southgate. Would still be surprised if we progressed further than the quarter finals (although my original prediction was we would struggle to get through the group - which we may have done but for Kane's late goal vs Tunisia).

Had we drawn against Tunisia, we would still be in a very strong position (i.e. 4 points against Tunisia's 1 point and with a vastly superior goal difference).
England/Belgium should be a crap match on 09:53 - Jun 26 with 4123 viewsrickw

We don't know how the other results will play out yet.
You can plot the remaining results to see our path on this website:
https://ultra.zone/2018-FIFA-World-Cup-Group-Stage#group=c

I can possibly see Brazil drawing with Serbia and finishing 2nd to avoid Germany, and we really don't know with group H, 3 teams can all finish in any position, but I think it would be good to avoid Colombia as they were very impressive against Poland.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 10:23 - Jun 26 with 4108 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 22:24 - Jun 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

Yeah, we probably would have struggled to get out of the group if we didn’t win the games we won

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 10:27 - Jun 26 with 4099 viewsmanchego

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 19:58 - Jun 25 by ScottCandage

please use sarcasm font when appropriate. thanks.
England/Belgium should be a crap match on 11:05 - Jun 26 with 4055 viewsSouperJim

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 22:52 - Jun 25 by Gogs

I was completely dismissive of England's chances prior to the first game. I thought we'd get 2 draws and a defeat out of the group stage. I'm now eating a large slice of humble pie on those assumptions. England are in good form, albeit having played 2 of the weakest sides in the tournament, should have nothing to fear from anyone in the tournament. I fully expect Southgate to rest 3 or 4 for Belgium, and they'll rest a load too, and i expect it'll end in a draw. Don't worry about which quarter of the draw we go into, it might be one with Brazil and Germany, or one with one of them, or neither of them depending on where they finish. I don't think they're spent forces by any means, but neither of them look great shakes this time around, Neymar bases his game on cheating and Germany do not seem as ruthlessly efficient as normal. I'm not saying England will beat either of them should we get that far, but it's no foregone conclusion either of them would turn England over either. Anyway for what it's worth, I make Spain the likeliest winners of the tournament

Just a small point, Tunisia are not one of the weakest sides in the tournament. They are currently ranked 21 by FIFA, just below Italy and Croatia and were seeded higher than Japan and Senegal who we are likely to meet one of in the next round. Tunisia are a tough opponent and our performance against them was impressive.

You can only beat the team put in front of you and our two performances so far have been very good. If we hit the same heights against Belgium we could really start to make the world sit up and take notice.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 11:34 - Jun 26 with 4030 viewsGogs

England/Belgium should be a crap match on 11:05 - Jun 26 by SouperJim

Just a small point, Tunisia are not one of the weakest sides in the tournament. They are currently ranked 21 by FIFA, just below Italy and Croatia and were seeded higher than Japan and Senegal who we are likely to meet one of in the next round. Tunisia are a tough opponent and our performance against them was impressive.

You can only beat the team put in front of you and our two performances so far have been very good. If we hit the same heights against Belgium we could really start to make the world sit up and take notice.

I get that, but I wasn’t really thinking in terms of rankings, I just thought Tunisia looked very ordinary in their two games so far, but there is obviously an element of England and Belgium making them look ordinary in that. I thought 4-1 or 5-1 would have been a fairer reflection of England’s game against them.
And the world is starting to take notice of England already, I still remember a fair bit of French and German from school, and checked their online newspapers after Sunday for an unbiased opinion, they were pretty fulsome in their praise.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024