Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thanks Martyn Waghorn 11:27 - Aug 8 with 1581 viewsGarv

Seems he's outgrown us unfortunately, but I'd wish him well and thank him for his efforts in a Town shirt. He filled a void left by Murphy a year previous and became the new talisman.

From the outside he looks to have been a big part of the dressing room and never appeared to have been unhappy both on or off the pitch, which as a fan is great to see. Clearly a popular player and you can see why.

We'll miss his delivery in particular I think, but if by selling it means we can bring in three or four, maybe five, it's a no brainer. In a way it will be nice not to have to rely on one man to pull a rabbit out of the hat, hopefully now we'll have a team that contributes from every position. Obviously time will tell and expectation I feel should still be low/realistic.

#ANewEra.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Thanks Martyn Waghorn on 11:35 - Aug 8 with 1546 viewsWestSussexBlue

I don’t recall a player that for me made such an impression in just one season for Town.
Great player last season.
Cheers Waggy.
Thanks Martyn Waghorn on 11:56 - Aug 8 with 1503 viewsSlambo

I agree, but a bit harsh to say Waggy's outgrown us..?! If Hurst wanted to I reckon he could've kept Waggy by improving his deal. Reckon Waggy would've been happy with that. I'd describe it more as both parties simply growing apart...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Thanks Martyn Waghorn on 12:01 - Aug 8 with 1477 viewsclive_baker

It's one of those that just makes sense all round really. Derby have cash to spend and they're getting a very, very good player in Waghorn. There aren't many better in a town shirt over the past few years at least. Waghorn is getting a big payday and a better chance of Premier League football, and who can blame him. And we're getting a decent fee that allows us to sign 3 or 4 players and bolster the squad and shape it how Hurst sees fit. What I like about Waghorn is you get the impression, from the outside at least, that if ME said 'no thanks Derby, he's going nowhere', he would've been cool with it and got his head down for us. He's a good pro and a really, genuinely, very good footballer.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Thanks Martyn Waghorn on 12:03 - Aug 8 with 1464 viewsSwansea_Blue

Outgrown us? That's why Tabby stayed so long then!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Thanks Martyn Waghorn on 12:16 - Aug 8 with 1429 viewsHipsterectomy

It's more of a worry, as you suggested, that he built up such a rapport with plays such as Chambers, Sears etc then has gone. Not even counting his on the pitch efforts.

And I'll miss his gaming celebrations

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Thanks Martyn Waghorn on 12:19 - Aug 8 with 1412 viewsWickets

Thanks Martyn Waghorn on 11:56 - Aug 8 by Slambo

I agree, but a bit harsh to say Waggy's outgrown us..?! If Hurst wanted to I reckon he could've kept Waggy by improving his deal. Reckon Waggy would've been happy with that. I'd describe it more as both parties simply growing apart...

Well fair enough but we do get the OP. point.
Thanks Martyn Waghorn on 13:03 - Aug 8 with 1350 viewsMonkeysChuff

Outgrown us? What a load of cobblers.
Thanks Martyn Waghorn on 13:08 - Aug 8 with 1325 viewsfloridaboy

Thanks Martyn Waghorn on 13:03 - Aug 8 by MonkeysChuff

Agree. So assume it wasn't the huge wage rise he got then.

Not convinced he can replicate last seasons form, especially as he is not guaranteed a starting place. Up against an awful lot of competition
Login to get fewer ads

Thanks Martyn Waghorn on 13:10 - Aug 8 with 1310 viewsArnieM

Remains to be seen how regularly he plays on their team of highly paid ( underachieving?) “all stars”!

Good luck Waggy and thank you for s great season last year for us.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Thanks Martyn Waghorn on 13:13 - Aug 8 with 1267 viewsGarv

Thanks Martyn Waghorn on 13:03 - Aug 8 by MonkeysChuff

Outgrown in the sense that he's gone to a club who will pay him more and, clearly in the player's view, have a better chance of promotion.

He was our best player after all.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Thanks Martyn Waghorn on 13:17 - Aug 8 with 1255 viewsBluedandy

Well if all goes to plan the players signed with this cash injection will help Town outgrow Derby .... we should gratefully recognise Martyn's role in that process.

Let's also hope Martyn makes a point of publicly thanking Ipswich Town for reigniting a career that was in danger of dying in a football cul de sac.
Thanks Martyn Waghorn on 13:21 - Aug 8 with 1222 viewsBluefish

We should probably keep calling him a snake

On a serious note, infirst watch him (in a town shirt) away to Barnsley and he impressed me within minutes, he wasn't even in an attacking position. He got the ball near right back and held it up superbly, he held his man off until he could lay it off and start an attack. You could see straight away he had something different. He went on to score the winner and has impressed ever since.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024