Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Derek Pringle's new book sounds good 14:21 - Nov 27 with 2564 viewsXYZ

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/nov/27/ian-botham-derek-pringle-memo

Gooch, Hardie, McEwan, Fletcher, East, East, Acfield, JK Lever, Nobby Philip, Foster

Essex and Ipswich in the late 70s and early 80s - great days indeed.
Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 14:32 - Nov 27 with 2549 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

Ray East is a character when fielding 3rd man to 3rd man, he borrowed a supporters bike and peddled from boundary to boundary.

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 14:45 - Nov 27 with 2533 viewsRadlett_blue

I'll read it but will wait for it to be priced at £1:99 on Kindle in a couple of years.
A girl I knew was at a party which Pringle also attended & was introduced to him, not having a clue that he was an England cricketer. When someone else joined the group, she introduced him as "Eric".
Pringle was not amused.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 14:49 - Nov 27 with 2533 viewsSteve_M

It does.

On the subject of Sports Books, so does The Lost Soul of Eamonn Magee, joint winner of the William Hill Sports Book award:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/nov/27/william-hill-sports-book-year-shar

More here:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/08/eamonn-magee-boxer-bullet-ira-sect

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 14:53 - Nov 27 with 2524 viewsSWGF

It's on the Christmas list, as is Simon Wilde's "Story of English Cricket".

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 14:56 - Nov 27 with 2520 viewsSwansea_Blue

That's my old man's Xmas present sorted, thanks. He'll love that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 14:58 - Nov 27 with 2521 viewsLord_Lucan

Spent many a day at Chelmsford in the sun with Ray East on the boundary joking about.

Brilliant times.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 15:39 - Nov 27 with 2493 viewshampstead_blue

I'm working through the audiobook right now.

He was a bit of a lad back in the day. I still can't picture him in a 2CV.......

I'm as big an Essex cricket fan as I am Town. He was a cracking player.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 17:15 - Nov 27 with 2427 viewsIllinoisblue

Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 14:49 - Nov 27 by Steve_M

It does.

On the subject of Sports Books, so does The Lost Soul of Eamonn Magee, joint winner of the William Hill Sports Book award:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/nov/27/william-hill-sports-book-year-shar

More here:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/08/eamonn-magee-boxer-bullet-ira-sect

blimey, quite the life he's had. Added that to the list.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 17:18 - Nov 27 with 2427 viewsVic

Just added this to my Christmas list.

And a little addendum- Ray East successfully ruined my burgeoning cricket career, when as naive spin bowler I was bowling in the nets at BSE. East comes over and asks me what I’m doing and I said, ‘bowling spin’. He said ‘Do it again’, which I did. Do you know what your doing? he then asked me. Not really I said. “If you keep doing that you’ll be very successful and in big demand; you’re bowling out of the back of your hand” was his comment. He then told me to take the bat and he bowled 3 balls against me, each one completely flummoxed me and He bowled me each time. Then he told me to bowl again - but of course now he told me what I was doing I couldn’t do it. And so ended my career. I was 12 yrs old at the time!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 00:53 - Nov 28 with 2339 viewsXYZ

Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 17:18 - Nov 27 by Vic

Just added this to my Christmas list.

And a little addendum- Ray East successfully ruined my burgeoning cricket career, when as naive spin bowler I was bowling in the nets at BSE. East comes over and asks me what I’m doing and I said, ‘bowling spin’. He said ‘Do it again’, which I did. Do you know what your doing? he then asked me. Not really I said. “If you keep doing that you’ll be very successful and in big demand; you’re bowling out of the back of your hand” was his comment. He then told me to take the bat and he bowled 3 balls against me, each one completely flummoxed me and He bowled me each time. Then he told me to bowl again - but of course now he told me what I was doing I couldn’t do it. And so ended my career. I was 12 yrs old at the time!

I was an offie and Acfield advised me to change my grip for my "drifter" when I was 15/16.

Many wickets followed, thanks to keepers who could stump and slips who could catch.

Happy days.
Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 01:11 - Nov 28 with 2335 viewsXYZ

Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 14:49 - Nov 27 by Steve_M

It does.

More here:

Wow. I'm not a boxing fan and had never heard of him.

I'm sure there's many more stories to come out of NI's past.

Let's hope its future is peaceful and reconciliatory.
Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 08:01 - Nov 28 with 2281 viewsSteve_M

Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 01:11 - Nov 28 by XYZ

Wow. I'm not a boxing fan and had never heard of him.

I'm sure there's many more stories to come out of NI's past.

Let's hope its future is peaceful and reconciliatory.

No, I'm not either. Had heard a little, probably when he had his leg smashed in, but never paid much attention.

Yep, agree completely on your last two points.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 10:59 - Nov 28 with 2245 viewsCoastalblue

One of my Dad's friends had a box at Chelmsford in the 80's and we used to go quite regularly for the Sunday League games.
The players would often join for a drink (or six) after the game, all were happy to mingle and good fun.
My overriding memories of Pribgle were just that he was huge, I remember him standing with his back to me in a blue blazer and it was like standing in front of a barn door.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 11:06 - Nov 28 with 2241 viewspatrickswell

Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 14:45 - Nov 27 by Radlett_blue

I'll read it but will wait for it to be priced at £1:99 on Kindle in a couple of years.
A girl I knew was at a party which Pringle also attended & was introduced to him, not having a clue that he was an England cricketer. When someone else joined the group, she introduced him as "Eric".
Pringle was not amused.

Presumably she was a fan of the Doctor Who he had written:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Awakening_(Doctor_Who)
Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 11:56 - Nov 28 with 2226 viewsIpswichKnight

Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 15:39 - Nov 27 by hampstead_blue

I'm working through the audiobook right now.

He was a bit of a lad back in the day. I still can't picture him in a 2CV.......

I'm as big an Essex cricket fan as I am Town. He was a cracking player.

Massively underated, his spell against Pakistan in the 92 World Cup should have knocked them out of the competition ( 8.2-5-8-3) , sadly for England it rained and game was abandoned and that point kept Pakistan in the competition.

Ray East was properly bonkers he once bowled using a Mr Punch glove puppet.
Derek Pringle's new book sounds good on 12:02 - Nov 28 with 2221 viewsRadlett_blue

For those of a marginally earlier vintage, this could be worth a look too.
I saw Robin Hobbs score a 44 minute century against the 1975 Australians.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobbsy-Life-Cricket-Rob-Kelly/dp/0956732178

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024