Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It seems incredible to me.... 17:04 - Dec 30 with 5587 viewsbobbyramsey

....that not too many years ago we were playing and/or beating the likes of Spurs, Liverpool, Man Utd etc.....

Makes me feckin' weep.....
It seems incredible to me.... on 17:07 - Dec 30 with 5557 viewsHerbivore

Depends on what you mean by not many years. It's 18 years since we beat Liverpool and Spurs, it's over 20 years since we beat United.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

It seems incredible to me.... on 17:11 - Dec 30 with 5542 viewsbobbyramsey

It seems incredible to me.... on 17:07 - Dec 30 by Herbivore

Depends on what you mean by not many years. It's 18 years since we beat Liverpool and Spurs, it's over 20 years since we beat United.

I'm probably older than some, to me that's fairly recent history lol
It seems incredible to me.... on 17:13 - Dec 30 with 5531 viewsHerbivore

It seems incredible to me.... on 17:11 - Dec 30 by bobbyramsey

I'm probably older than some, to me that's fairly recent history lol

You could be an adult and not have seen us beat any of those sides in your lifetime, it's a long way back really.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

It seems incredible to me.... on 17:22 - Dec 30 with 5515 viewslongtimefan

The stark reality is that in the last 30 years we’ve only had one year in the top league where we were competitive, 2000-01 season. The other years in the top division in that timespan were spent trying to avoid relegation, 16th position being our highest!
[Post edited 30 Dec 2018 17:23]
It seems incredible to me.... on 17:26 - Dec 30 with 5492 viewsgrimboy

Who’s fault is it ?
Sheepshanks,and Burley?
Or just poor management in general of the club.
It seems incredible to me.... on 17:31 - Dec 30 with 5469 viewsbobbyramsey

It seems incredible to me.... on 17:13 - Dec 30 by Herbivore

You could be an adult and not have seen us beat any of those sides in your lifetime, it's a long way back really.

S'pose you're right, my selective memory again
It seems incredible to me.... on 17:41 - Dec 30 with 5436 viewsIllinoisblue

It seems incredible to me.... on 17:22 - Dec 30 by longtimefan

The stark reality is that in the last 30 years we’ve only had one year in the top league where we were competitive, 2000-01 season. The other years in the top division in that timespan were spent trying to avoid relegation, 16th position being our highest!
[Post edited 30 Dec 2018 17:23]

and how many seasons have we had in the top flight in our entire existence? 30 at most I would guess. Probably a few less than that actually.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

It seems incredible to me.... on 17:56 - Dec 30 with 5400 viewsPJH

It seems incredible to me.... on 17:41 - Dec 30 by Illinoisblue

and how many seasons have we had in the top flight in our entire existence? 30 at most I would guess. Probably a few less than that actually.

1961-1964(3)
1968-1986(19)-THANK YOU SBR.
1992-1995(3)
2000-2002(2)

Some of them were pretty good though.
Login to get fewer ads

It seems incredible to me.... on 18:04 - Dec 30 with 5370 viewsFtnfwest

It seems incredible to me.... on 17:56 - Dec 30 by PJH

1961-1964(3)
1992-1995(3)
2000-2002(2)

You’ve probably seen the lot PJ, the first I remember vaguely was 73-74, not sure whether the current malaise is worse for us or the younger folk, but I do feel sorry for them and admire them if they stick at it. I’ll still be going if we’re in the conference to be honest.
It seems incredible to me.... on 18:09 - Dec 30 with 5348 viewsPecker

I get the same pleasure out of beating any side.
It seems incredible to me.... on 18:10 - Dec 30 with 5342 viewsPJH

It seems incredible to me.... on 18:04 - Dec 30 by Ftnfwest

You’ve probably seen the lot PJ, the first I remember vaguely was 73-74, not sure whether the current malaise is worse for us or the younger folk, but I do feel sorry for them and admire them if they stick at it. I’ll still be going if we’re in the conference to be honest.

Yes, saw all those.

Certainly from about 1973 until 1985 I assumed that ITFC would be in the top division "for ever".

First time round (61/62) was a bit special too.

What you and I have seen cannot be taken away from us so I think that we should be grateful for that.
It seems incredible to me.... on 18:11 - Dec 30 with 5340 viewstampa_bay

It seems incredible to me.... on 17:56 - Dec 30 by PJH

1961-1964(3)
1992-1995(3)
2000-2002(2)

Being born in the late 60’s has really skewed my perception of our size and importance. Spending your formative years with your home town club being one of the best in Europe was great but has meant a lifetime of disappointment ever since.
It seems incredible to me.... on 18:19 - Dec 30 with 5322 viewsPJH

It seems incredible to me.... on 18:11 - Dec 30 by tampa_bay

Being born in the late 60’s has really skewed my perception of our size and importance. Spending your formative years with your home town club being one of the best in Europe was great but has meant a lifetime of disappointment ever since.

Yes, I was born when we were in the Third Division so success in the Second Division in 1960/61 and then what followed the year after was all new to me so in that respect I saw the rise.
As I said before,it seemed for a large chunk of SBR's reign that we would always be a top division club.
It seems incredible to me.... on 18:22 - Dec 30 with 5312 viewsPecker

It seems incredible to me.... on 18:19 - Dec 30 by PJH

Yes, I was born when we were in the Third Division so success in the Second Division in 1960/61 and then what followed the year after was all new to me so in that respect I saw the rise.
As I said before,it seemed for a large chunk of SBR's reign that we would always be a top division club.

We haven't been in the 3rd tier of English football since I was born and it ain't going to happen in my lifetime.
It seems incredible to me.... on 18:24 - Dec 30 with 5305 viewsSomethingBlue

It seems incredible to me.... on 17:26 - Dec 30 by grimboy

Who’s fault is it ?
Sheepshanks,and Burley?

As a club we have done many things wrong in the past decade and a half. The unfortunate thing is that, each time, it's happened at a particularly key point in wider football history. We have been left well behind and, when you look at how luck and rank poor performance have conspired against us at once, it's hard not to think sometimes that we are cursed.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

It seems incredible to me.... on 18:25 - Dec 30 with 5294 viewstampa_bay

It seems incredible to me.... on 18:19 - Dec 30 by PJH

Bloody Pioneer Stand!
It seems incredible to me.... on 18:26 - Dec 30 with 5300 viewsRegencyBlue

It seems incredible to me.... on 17:26 - Dec 30 by grimboy

Who’s fault is it ?
Sheepshanks,and Burley?

Well Sheepshanks ego began writing cheques the club couldn’t afford, which was the beginning of the rot, but after 11 years of the Evans regime there really is no one else to blame!
It seems incredible to me.... on 18:34 - Dec 30 with 5269 viewsEastTownBlue

It seems incredible to me.... on 18:09 - Dec 30 by Pecker

Indeed. Winning has become such a rare occurrence these days.

But I doubt that is what you meant though.
It seems incredible to me.... on 19:15 - Dec 30 with 5173 viewspatrickswell

Agreed, especially in years like this one where they’ve been like hen’s teeth.
It seems incredible to me.... on 19:29 - Dec 30 with 5125 viewslongtimefan

It seems incredible to me.... on 18:25 - Dec 30 by tampa_bay

Bloody Pioneer Stand!

Yep. And to think we didn’t learn our lesson and went on to repeat it twice in the 2000s
It seems incredible to me.... on 20:08 - Dec 30 with 5042 viewsTouchofNouble

https://www.facebook.com/bbcsuffolk/photos/a.258320264182261/1197245883623023/?t

Bit more recent but can't believe this was only 3 years ago..
It seems incredible to me.... on 20:21 - Dec 30 with 4999 viewsAce_High1

The one that always makes me laugh is thinking back to Inter Milan. I know they are not great nowadays but in the 90's and 00's they were always a big and successful club and to think just 17 years ago we beat them seems unreal. Especially when they had in the squad Ronaldo and Vieri.

And now we cannot beat dross like Millwall, Rotherham etc.
It seems incredible to me.... on 20:40 - Dec 30 with 4963 viewsStNeotsBlue

I actually find this attitude quite sad and joyless, its akin to saying I enjoy every meal to the same level, surely some stick in the memory a little bit more than others? I enjoy every victory but the levels of enjoyment can vary widely.
It seems incredible to me.... on 23:10 - Dec 30 with 4796 viewspatrickswell

It seems incredible to me.... on 20:40 - Dec 30 by StNeotsBlue

I actually find this attitude quite sad and joyless, its akin to saying I enjoy every meal to the same level, surely some stick in the memory a little bit more than others? I enjoy every victory but the levels of enjoyment can vary widely.

All wins are to be savoured, but to take your point a little further, I have no time for posters who say they wouldn’t want to see Town in the Premier League nowadays, as we’d only be playing for 17th. I get what they mean, but in the 32 years I’ve followed the club, wins over Man Utd, Liverpool etc were very special even if they were few and far between. To see us against the best sides and potentially beating them again is what I hope for.

It’s the erosion of joy and the inability to beat anyone that has made this year so poor. Imagine being a little kid and following Town at the moment, what would be the point. In the mid-80s, my mates used to tell me that Town were rubbish, but even in 85-86, I could shut the Liverpool fans up. This side now is true rubbish, and unless it turns things around quick, it will struggle to engage new fans over and above “entertainment”.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024