Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The price of the Championship 16:57 - Jan 4 with 4219 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

A piece on here earlier confirmed that Birmingham spent twice what they earned last season on wages alone and in doing so finished well below us, finishing 19th.

Stoke have just spent £19m on Afobe and Woods to make their deals permanent. That's £9.5m each for a good striker at this level that hasn't been able to step up and a good midfielder that has never had the chance to.

Evans is largely responsible for our demise but when you consider stuff like this I can understand his approach. How much would it really cost us to buy proven players that could turn us into a proper force at this level? £50m for 5 or 6 top Championship players I would imagine.

We'd then be up against three teams with £100m to spend from a recent relegation, some with about £50m to spend from one the year before and half a dozen clubs either throwing the same sort of money at it and clubs that already have players of the quality of Afobe on their books.

At best you'd probably have a 1 in 4 chance of promotion with 3 clubs going up from any 12 serious contenders.

Evans has made many mistakes and most of us would be probably be happy now for the club to change hands, but who is seriously going to come into this club and buy it for £10m, £20m, £30m or whatever it goes for and then chuck in £40m or £50m for us to just have a one in four chance of promotion if everything else goes right.

Every season that we fail, another three teams potentially get twice that to strengthen in one season.

It's no wonder that Evans hasn't been prepared to risk it and to be honest I don't blame him. He bought a football club thinking he could make a profit, gave the money to the wrong managers and now the division is too rich for him, but the reality would be that even if we do go down and come back up, we are very likely to be resigned to nothing more than a Bolton, Rotherham, Burton, Doncaster rather than the clubs we think we are now on a par with.

How depressing the reality now is.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

The price of the Championship on 17:07 - Jan 4 with 4178 viewsArnieM

As I’ve said many times before . Sky money has made the game in
this Country a complete farce.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

The price of the Championship on 17:08 - Jan 4 with 4174 viewsIllinoisblue

the only thing that might save us is is the creation of a Premier League second tier, with a boatload of TV cash. But even then we'd be playing catch-up and unable to compete with the parachute clubs.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The price of the Championship on 17:11 - Jan 4 with 4155 viewsBent_double

The price of the Championship on 17:08 - Jan 4 by Illinoisblue

the only thing that might save us is is the creation of a Premier League second tier, with a boatload of TV cash. But even then we'd be playing catch-up and unable to compete with the parachute clubs.

That will be announced the minute we are relegated from this league. Just our luck...

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

The price of the Championship on 17:13 - Jan 4 with 4144 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Or the creation of a European Super League so the big 6 can clear off, the Premier League can be split into two leagues and we end up doing alright for ourselves again, only for the likes of Oxford and Luton to be utterly screwed instead.

It's just ruined now already. It's a case of how much mess can be cleaned out of the carpet but most of it will never come out.

I can't wait for a European Super League where Arsenal fans get to suffer being in the bottom three every season, never challenging for anything.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

The price of the Championship on 17:14 - Jan 4 with 4143 viewsblue62

Totally agree.

It still bugs me that teams get the parachute payments. It just gives them an unfair advantage over all the other teams in the league, especially those promoted from League 1.

If they had their house in order, their players would be on contracts that make allowances for relegation.
The price of the Championship on 17:21 - Jan 4 with 4092 viewsDurovigutum

It's worse than that.

The problem is wages and not just purchasing power. It means there's no inability to build a team without being robbed by those with money.

If we had the 1976 team now, just like Leicester or Southampton we would be robbed blind. Leicester couldn't stop Kante or Mahrez from leaving.

Any half decent youth player is hoovered up by the mega clubs. Even with a European super league that will still happen.

The solution will never happen because the big boys will veto it and the FA think the status quo is good for the national team.

No matter what you think of the PM, someone being paid 4 times her annual salary in one week to kick a pig skin around a bit of grass is utterly insane.
The price of the Championship on 17:24 - Jan 4 with 4085 viewsthebooks

I get the sentiment that the world's gone mad, but it's hardly news that competing costs eyewatering amounts in the Championship: That's been the case since he bought the club and has obviously become more so over the last decade. There's never been a time he's invested large amounts. He's been proven naive and out of his depth: I have zero sympathy and I do blame him for this.

He's not been paticularly interested in competing for a long time, just surviving until he can sell up. In that respect, I guess he has been in a way successful, mainly due to employing Mick McCarthy. But he's really messed that up.

As for who will buy us and pump in money? Like anyone other club, it'll be someone with money or a reputation to launder.
The price of the Championship on 17:30 - Jan 4 with 4049 viewsIllinoisblue

The price of the Championship on 17:11 - Jan 4 by Bent_double

That will be announced the minute we are relegated from this league. Just our luck...

sadly and depressingly true!

62 - 78 - 81

Login to get fewer ads

The price of the Championship on 18:46 - Jan 4 with 3948 viewsFtnfwest

The annoying thing as well is that some clubs seem to have been more stringent with wages compared to income but in actual fact it’s just because they’ve received parachute payments as part of that income
The price of the Championship on 19:01 - Jan 4 with 3901 viewsgt81

Indeed. I'm not so much bothered by the amount Evans puts in but the way it's been squandered year after year on short term loans and freebies, quick fixes that have brought no benefit to club or Evan's wallet.

This isn't necessarily Evans' fault per se but the lack of any kind of structure for longer term team-building has been the most disastrous failing IMO.

I think Brighton's outlay on players in the 3 years to their promotion, was something like £28m, a fraction of what Evan's spent in the decade he's owned the club.
The price of the Championship on 22:36 - Jan 4 with 3674 viewsFtnfwest

The price of the Championship on 19:01 - Jan 4 by gt81

Indeed. I'm not so much bothered by the amount Evans puts in but the way it's been squandered year after year on short term loans and freebies, quick fixes that have brought no benefit to club or Evan's wallet.

This isn't necessarily Evans' fault per se but the lack of any kind of structure for longer term team-building has been the most disastrous failing IMO.

I think Brighton's outlay on players in the 3 years to their promotion, was something like £28m, a fraction of what Evan's spent in the decade he's owned the club.

I agree except he’s only spent about £18m in fees over 11 years that’s the problem, plus a few premier loans which I realise aren’t cheap. Of course at the same time he’s recouped about £40m
The price of the Championship on 22:49 - Jan 4 with 3631 viewsRadlett_blue

The price of the Championship on 19:01 - Jan 4 by gt81

Yes, although Brighton did lose huge sums in their ultimately successful attempt to get into the PL.
The biggest problem in trying to buy tour way out of the Championship is that almost all the better players are already in the PL & out of reach so a few clubs are furiously out-bidding each other for above average Championship players, such as Martyn Waghorn

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The price of the Championship on 23:13 - Jan 4 with 3560 viewsjjblue84

So why exactly does he own a football club that he clearly can’t afford...??
The price of the Championship on 23:26 - Jan 4 with 3530 viewsBrightonEye

The price of the Championship on 22:49 - Jan 4 by Radlett_blue

Yes, although Brighton did lose huge sums in their ultimately successful attempt to get into the PL.
The biggest problem in trying to buy tour way out of the Championship is that almost all the better players are already in the PL & out of reach so a few clubs are furiously out-bidding each other for above average Championship players, such as Martyn Waghorn

Brighton's losses over their last three Championship years came in just under the EFL FFP aggregate limit of £39 million. The club made a profit in their first Premier League season of around £13m.

Although Tony Bloom's total investment in the club over his 9-year tenure is around £318m, that included £125m for the Amex and £30m for the new training ground. (All as interest-free loans, which will be converted into equity if not repaid by 2023.)

The obvious difference between Bloom and Evans is that the former - a lifelong fan and third-generation director of the club is obviously more prepared to risk money than would an outsider interested only in the bottom line.

But make no mistake: Brighton fans fully appreciate just how extraordinarily lucky they are for their club to be in this position.

A final note of comfort to Town fans? In 1997, Brighton were 11 points adrift at the bottom of League 2, with just a few games remaining - but somehow survived relegation on the very last day.

All is not lost: it can be done!
The price of the Championship on 02:46 - Jan 5 with 3414 viewsMrTown

I don’t think you have to constantly pay inflated prices. But with a structure like ours to build squads for a manager take a hell of a lot longer than other teams in the championship. New managers at your Stoke, Derby, Boro will be able to assemble squads in a transfer window or two because they will pay inflated prices.

For a club like us it took MM 3/4 seasons, but we have to smart with frees and “bargain” deals. If you think Waghorn/Murphy/McGoldrick/Waghorn cost under £1m it shows what experienced managers can do. Mick was one, PH wasn’t but PL I feel will assemble an exciting attacking talented squad in good time.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

The price of the Championship on 04:17 - Jan 5 with 3387 viewsIllinoisblue

The price of the Championship on 23:26 - Jan 4 by BrightonEye

Brighton's losses over their last three Championship years came in just under the EFL FFP aggregate limit of £39 million. The club made a profit in their first Premier League season of around £13m.

Although Tony Bloom's total investment in the club over his 9-year tenure is around £318m, that included £125m for the Amex and £30m for the new training ground. (All as interest-free loans, which will be converted into equity if not repaid by 2023.)

The obvious difference between Bloom and Evans is that the former - a lifelong fan and third-generation director of the club is obviously more prepared to risk money than would an outsider interested only in the bottom line.

But make no mistake: Brighton fans fully appreciate just how extraordinarily lucky they are for their club to be in this position.

A final note of comfort to Town fans? In 1997, Brighton were 11 points adrift at the bottom of League 2, with just a few games remaining - but somehow survived relegation on the very last day.

Brighton are one of those clubs that are hard to dislike. Considering what you went through, losing the Goldstone, squatting at the Withdean... to where you are now. Must seem like a dream at times.

That said, still think your stadium looks weird.

62 - 78 - 81

The price of the Championship on 10:18 - Jan 5 with 3191 viewsRadlett_blue

The price of the Championship on 02:46 - Jan 5 by MrTown

I don’t think you have to constantly pay inflated prices. But with a structure like ours to build squads for a manager take a hell of a lot longer than other teams in the championship. New managers at your Stoke, Derby, Boro will be able to assemble squads in a transfer window or two because they will pay inflated prices.

For a club like us it took MM 3/4 seasons, but we have to smart with frees and “bargain” deals. If you think Waghorn/Murphy/McGoldrick/Waghorn cost under £1m it shows what experienced managers can do. Mick was one, PH wasn’t but PL I feel will assemble an exciting attacking talented squad in good time.

Yes, all of the above turned out to be above average Championship forwards & weren't expensive. Mick generally had a good eye for a player. However, once any of them showed how good they were, richer clubs started sniffing around, offering huge fees & wages so we couldn't keep them. That's why we were hugely unlikely to build a promotion winning squad on our relative budget. And that's partly why the fans got bored & wanted a change.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The price of the Championship on 10:25 - Jan 5 with 3169 viewsm14_blue

The price of the Championship on 23:26 - Jan 4 by BrightonEye

Good luck to you.

If ever a set of fans deserved an owner like Bloom it’s your lot after all your club went through.
The price of the Championship on 10:55 - Jan 5 with 3122 viewsstrikalite

The price of the Championship on 17:13 - Jan 4 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Or the creation of a European Super League so the big 6 can clear off, the Premier League can be split into two leagues and we end up doing alright for ourselves again, only for the likes of Oxford and Luton to be utterly screwed instead.

It's just ruined now already. It's a case of how much mess can be cleaned out of the carpet but most of it will never come out.

I can't wait for a European Super League where Arsenal fans get to suffer being in the bottom three every season, never challenging for anything.

Being saying this for a while now, they'll come a time where the top six will outgrow the rest of the Prem, Rangers and Celtic will be part of a breakaway with the top Euro sides, the only thing that may scupper this is if/when we're out of the EU, who knows....

Though once the big boys have gone where would that leave the other decent size Clubs I wonder, can see a two tier Prem North and South(similar to American football) where there would be a play-off between both Leagues possibly, would make sense....

It would be our only hope, two leagues of say 15 teams,right now we're drifting quickly away from even that sadly..
The price of the Championship on 11:06 - Jan 5 with 3095 viewsNo9

A second PL will only encourage another, unaffordable for most, division
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024