Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
606 last night 06:56 - Mar 11 with 1979 viewsPendejo

Was listening to Arsse v Manure on way home last night and when it finished 606 started I was just about to switch over to iPod when I heard some fella going on about the Brum pitch invader like it was the end of the world. He was going on about being afraid to take his 8 year old daughter to Brum matches because of this one game.

Some bell end called Chris Sutton chimed in saying he understood etc. etc.

Whilst undoubtedly the 2nd city derby was probably very fractious and some moron thought he'd improve it by attacking a player, it's hardly end of days stuff.

As someone who started going to football aged 8 in '77 predominantly in the North Stand and has regularly attended football since then I can't believe how some callers went into hyperbole.
One caller, a Chelsea fan, went on about when he first started going to football and a player called Jeremy [actually Geremi a quick Google tells me], so ages him as under 30 probably. he went on about... bad language! And then proceeded to say how the bad language from fans was more vicious than that of rugby fans.

What would these folks make of the days when the terraces and streets around the ground were regularly battle grounds?
Yet still my dad took me.
The Den 78?
QPR home 85?
Spurs, home 83 when they came down both ends of Portman Road, and a Spurs fan got his throat slashed in the West Stand.
Portsmouth home 87?

Or regularly in West Stand early 80s where strangers were quietly asked which bit of Ipswich they were from, when they couldn't name an estate or local village; fisticuffs followed.

It still occurs to me how safe and sanitized it is these days going to games compared to those days. I don't want a return but I also do not want hyperbole otherwise some know nothing moron will go on about ID cards again.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

606 last night on 07:25 - Mar 11 with 1892 viewschristiand

I listened to that too. It wasn't wholly about the incident with the pitch invader but the whole atmosphere for that particular match. The general aggression and animosity between the two rival sets of fans, which I can understand and could be viewed as 'off putting' due to the intimidation. At Ipswich, it's never like that (or I've never come across one like it!), I'm more than happy to take my family along, but in that second city derby the intensity seems to go up a few levels, there's general hatred. I quite understand where the caller was coming from, you just wouldn't want your young child caught up in all that nonsense prior, during and after the game. There are some real kn*bheads around that give little consideration to anyone, but themselves.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2019 7:30]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

606 last night on 10:18 - Mar 11 with 1713 viewsfactual_blue

We were at friends in the midlands, and I saw the game on TV. sky responsibly played the incident repeatedly while play was stopped, and it was pretty much the only topic during the half-time 'analysis' of the match, with the incident again replayed several times.

I don't who is the bigger moron - the attacker, or sky.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

606 last night on 10:20 - Mar 11 with 1708 viewschicoazul

Throat slashed??? This is a new one on me.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

606 last night on 10:23 - Mar 11 with 1694 viewsRadlett_blue

I think the reason the media are going overboard on this one is that it involved an assault (although a pretty mild one for which it's hard to see anyone being charged under normal circumstances) on a player & it happened like on Sky TV. I wonder if there will be the same calls for the Emirates to be closed, given that an equally moronic Arsenal fan ran onto the pitch & apparently made contact with Chris Smalling?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

606 last night on 10:47 - Mar 11 with 1645 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

606 last night on 12:39 - Mar 11 with 1590 viewsLord_Lucan

606 last night on 10:20 - Mar 11 by chicoazul

Throat slashed??? This is a new one on me.

Yes - although it was a bit of an ongoing feud and the bloke with slashed throat was indeed a Tottenham fan - but from Chantry.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

606 last night on 12:51 - Mar 11 with 1546 viewsLord_Lucan

606 last night on 10:47 - Mar 11 by BryanPlug

Point of order

Keane didn't end Haalands career, it's a myth. After that game he went on to play for Norway four days later.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Plus, and perhaps more.... on 12:55 - Mar 11 with 1534 viewsBloots

606 last night on 12:51 - Mar 11 by Lord_Lucan

Point of order

Keane didn't end Haalands career, it's a myth. After that game he went on to play for Norway four days later.

....relevant, it was an injury to his other leg that ended it.

Funny.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Login to get fewer ads

Plus, and perhaps more.... on 13:48 - Mar 11 with 1436 viewsBryanPlug

Plus, and perhaps more.... on 12:55 - Mar 11 by Bloots

....relevant, it was an injury to his other leg that ended it.

Funny.

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Plus, and perhaps more.... on 14:18 - Mar 11 with 1385 viewsLord_Lucan

Plus, and perhaps more.... on 13:48 - Mar 11 by BryanPlug

Haaland was himself a dirty player and even before the Keane game he couldn't play without strapping. I am no Keane apologist but Haaland is trying it on.

Plus, and perhaps more.... on 15:02 - Mar 11 with 1325 viewsRIPbobby

Plus, and perhaps more.... on 14:18 - Mar 11 by Lord_Lucan

Haaland was himself a dirty player and even before the Keane game he couldn't play without strapping. I am no Keane apologist but Haaland is trying it on.

People often forget what a dirty player Chris Kamara was, time has healed his character a great deal. Not a nice person on the Football pitch at all.
Plus, and perhaps more.... on 15:21 - Mar 11 with 1293 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Plus, and perhaps more.... on 13:48 - Mar 11 by BryanPlug

He and Man City were pursuing legal action against Keane until it was pointed out that on his own website, he had stated that he had been playing with strapping on his knee for a while and that Keane’s tackle did not cause his injury, at which point the legal action was dropped. Plus it was the other knee

Chancer

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024