Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any historical kit “experts” out there?? 19:46 - May 7 with 4121 viewsDanTheBlue

Hello. I have a number of old jerseys, some quite rare but a couple have me baffled. I want to know if the first is a player issue shirt from the 1979 -80 season owing to the fact it has FA CUP winners under the badge. The second is a training top which could be a player issue one from the final it’s self... after an expert’s opinion!! Will try and uploads photos but I dunno how !!!
Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 19:48 - May 7 with 3835 viewsIllinoisblue

have you tried posting on the Historical Kits twitter feed? https://twitter.com/HistoricalKits?s=17

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 19:53 - May 7 with 3817 viewsDanTheBlue

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 19:48 - May 7 by Illinoisblue

have you tried posting on the Historical Kits twitter feed? https://twitter.com/HistoricalKits?s=17

I was not aware of these guys, thanks for your direction!
Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 19:53 - May 7 with 3821 viewsDanTheBlue

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 19:54 - May 7 with 3818 viewsDanTheBlue

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 20:22 - May 7 with 3732 viewsMisterBlue

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 19:54 - May 7 by DanTheBlue

Dan - nice memorabilia.
The hoody looks like those worn by the players as they emerged from the tunnel at Wembley in ‘78. The shirt could have been worn from ‘78-79 through to the end of ‘80-81. It should be polyester, with a bit of a shine/satin finish.
Presumably you’ve had these for a number of years and recently not purchased of eBay?
[Post edited 7 May 2019 20:22]
Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 20:22 - May 7 with 3729 viewsStadiumofdark

Nah, they're fake.... I'll give you a tenner for the pair ;-)
Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 20:39 - May 7 with 3670 viewsgainsboroughblue

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 20:22 - May 7 by MisterBlue

Dan - nice memorabilia.
The hoody looks like those worn by the players as they emerged from the tunnel at Wembley in ‘78. The shirt could have been worn from ‘78-79 through to the end of ‘80-81. It should be polyester, with a bit of a shine/satin finish.
Presumably you’ve had these for a number of years and recently not purchased of eBay?

First Town shirt I had. Great days.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 20:43 - May 7 with 3645 viewsgainsboroughblue

Looked at this page just now. Even though I was a regular attender at that point, I was sure Radio Orwell sponsored us for longer than one year.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Ipswich_Town/Ipswich_Town.htm

Login to get fewer ads

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 20:55 - May 7 with 3602 viewsBLUEBEAT

That’s great

I dreamt of owning one of those as a kid

The oversized trefoil logo is ace

EDIT- Roger Osborne’s number too - insane!
[Post edited 7 May 2019 21:01]

Poll: W or W

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 21:00 - May 7 with 3582 viewsDanTheBlue

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 20:22 - May 7 by MisterBlue

Dan - nice memorabilia.

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t watch the 78 final for a while so perfect excuse to watch it again! They’d given to me by a kind soul who knows I love old kits !!
Imagine if the training top was from the final! What a cool thing to own. Both shirts have 7 on them, assuming that was Osborne on the day? Deffo need to watch it again!
Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 21:10 - May 7 with 3540 viewsgainsboroughblue

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 21:00 - May 7 by DanTheBlue

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t watch the 78 final for a while so perfect excuse to watch it again! They’d given to me by a kind soul who knows I love old kits !!
Imagine if the training top was from the final! What a cool thing to own. Both shirts have 7 on them, assuming that was Osborne on the day? Deffo need to watch it again!

Yep. Osborne was 7.

Warky was 8 before inheriting the number he was most known for.

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 21:22 - May 7 with 3506 views66notout

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 20:43 - May 7 by gainsboroughblue

Looked at this page just now. Even though I was a regular attender at that point, I was sure Radio Orwell sponsored us for longer than one year.

Sponsored? They didn’t hand over a penny but provided the club with on-air advertising time. That’s how desperate the club were at the time.
Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 21:26 - May 7 with 3490 viewsBLUEBEAT

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 21:22 - May 7 by 66notout

Sponsored? They didn’t hand over a penny but provided the club with on-air advertising time. That’s how desperate the club were at the time.

Interesting.

Were Fisons responsible, rather than Ferguson, for our much famed playing surface?

Long gone now, of course.
[Post edited 7 May 2019 22:35]

Poll: W or W

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 21:31 - May 7 with 3449 viewsITFC_Forever

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 20:43 - May 7 by gainsboroughblue

Nope, Radio Orwell was the last sponsor of the kit with the red stripe, the year we went down.

It then changed to the blue v-neck one with Fisons as the sponsors.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 22:06 - May 7 with 3408 viewsDanTheBlue

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 21:31 - May 7 by ITFC_Forever

Nope, Radio Orwell was the last sponsor of the kit with the red stripe, the year we went down.

It then changed to the blue v-neck one with Fisons as the sponsors.

These are some of the other ones I have !!!
Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 14:46 - May 8 with 3124 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 14:57 - May 8 with 3104 viewsSouperJim

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 21:00 - May 7 by DanTheBlue

Holy crap, someone gave you Roger Osborne's tracky top from the 78 cup final?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 15:08 - May 8 with 3083 viewsBryanPlug

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 15:15 - May 8 with 3066 viewsBluespeed225

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 19:53 - May 7 by DanTheBlue

Ok, here’s what I know, anoraks on! I own a couple of shirts from that era, Talbots 78’ and Warks 81’( home leg), and I think your shirt is a player issue, one, beacuse of the material, which was much like the old Adidas T shirts, and most importantly, the badge. It is not ‘perfect’, as in it has a small indent at the bottom next to the ‘Town FC’. My shirts both have this, as in they are not mass produced. The Adidas lettering is also not perfectly level on them. The track top I’m not certain about, but Talbots was available at the same time I got the shirt, I just couldn’t afford both! The badge on the 78’ shirt is massive! Let the TV world see who we were!
Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 20:28 - May 8 with 2948 viewsDanTheBlue

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 14:46 - May 8 by BryanPlug

A generous (non-town fan) relative!! I feel very lucky!!
Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 20:34 - May 8 with 2914 viewsDanTheBlue

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 15:08 - May 8 by BryanPlug

Thank you very much for the link. That’s clinched it for me. It’s the real deal ! I’ve emailed Roger at his current employer to see if he wants it back.
Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 20:36 - May 8 with 2910 viewsDanTheBlue

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 15:15 - May 8 by Bluespeed225

Ok, here’s what I know, anoraks on! I own a couple of shirts from that era, Talbots 78’ and Warks 81’( home leg), and I think your shirt is a player issue, one, beacuse of the material, which was much like the old Adidas T shirts, and most importantly, the badge. It is not ‘perfect’, as in it has a small indent at the bottom next to the ‘Town FC’. My shirts both have this, as in they are not mass produced. The Adidas lettering is also not perfectly level on them. The track top I’m not certain about, but Talbots was available at the same time I got the shirt, I just couldn’t afford both! The badge on the 78’ shirt is massive! Let the TV world see who we were!

Thank you so much for your input. I’m happy that mine is genuine from the final. I’ve emailed Roger at his current employer to see if he wants it back.
Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 21:52 - May 8 with 2825 viewsBluespeed225

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 20:36 - May 8 by DanTheBlue

Thank you so much for your input. I’m happy that mine is genuine from the final. I’ve emailed Roger at his current employer to see if he wants it back.

It’s not a Final shirt, as they had ‘Finalist’, not Winners on, and it looks collarless, which makes it a 78/9’ shirt, the collar only lasting one season. The track top looks correct, and as said, the large Adidas trefoil is correct.
Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 10:47 - May 9 with 2636 viewsitfcjoe

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 20:36 - May 8 by DanTheBlue

I assume you aren't looking to sell any of these?

If you don't get a reply from Roger if you give em a DM I'll be able to get in contact with him via one of his Sons.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 11:01 - May 9 with 2615 viewshector_clifford

Any historical kit “experts” out there?? on 15:15 - May 8 by Bluespeed225

I've got Brian talbots tracksuit top from the final. My wife brought it for me for christmas a few years ago.

Poll: Who is your favourite outfield Town player of the 1978 cup winning team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024