Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was 10:29 - Feb 13 with 3381 viewsDubtractor

Thin skinned too.

First off the rotation period, where he refused to waver from it, despite criticism and poor results. In fact I'd suggest the criticism made him more determined about it and there was plenty of thin skinned reaction to the criticism.

Now the 5-3-2 formation. Even in games where is isn't working we stick with it all game, Tuesday being a prime example. And when we don't have players available to make it work, also see Tuesday, he has pretty much refused to alter it.

Why on earth did we persist with an unnecessary 3 centre backs all game?

I really struggle to understand it at all.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 10:31 - Feb 13 with 3356 viewsfooters

Maybe he'll see another formation to copy on MOTD and we'll change again next week.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 10:33 - Feb 13 with 3330 viewsBackToRussia

I honestly don't think he cares. He's on a huge, lucrative contract. This is likely to be his last job at this level, but he seems to have made his peace with it. Mick could barely seen to be considered a championship level manager as it dented his ego. Lambo seems to be cool with failing.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 10:39 - Feb 13 with 3302 viewsBloomBlue

To be fair all Managers are, Sir Alf and Sir Bob were both very stubborn. Detractors biggest moan about Sir Alf leading up to the 66 WC was he was stubborn and wouldn't change his ideas and they dismissed our chances of winning it because of his stubbornness, but as we know he shoved it down their throats by winning it.
Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 10:52 - Feb 13 with 3255 viewsDanTheMan

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 10:39 - Feb 13 by BloomBlue

To be fair all Managers are, Sir Alf and Sir Bob were both very stubborn. Detractors biggest moan about Sir Alf leading up to the 66 WC was he was stubborn and wouldn't change his ideas and they dismissed our chances of winning it because of his stubbornness, but as we know he shoved it down their throats by winning it.

This may be me misremembering what I've read, but didn't Alf in secret train a completely new system and not really "unveil" it until the WC to stop it being countered?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:02 - Feb 13 with 3203 viewsBloomBlue

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 10:52 - Feb 13 by DanTheMan

This may be me misremembering what I've read, but didn't Alf in secret train a completely new system and not really "unveil" it until the WC to stop it being countered?

He never really changed style but sometimes with injuries he had to tweak it.
But he had belief in his style but belief is seen as stubborn. Look at the whole Jimmy Greaves situation in the final, press/media/fans were demarding he pick Greaves for the final as he had recovered from the injury but Sir Alf stuck with Hurst press/media/fans were unhappy with that many talking about Sit Alf's stubborness but as history proved it won the WC for England
Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:07 - Feb 13 with 3186 viewsPecker

The best managers need to be a bit stubborn and believe in what they are trying to achieve. That is what can set you apart from the rest. The worst kind of managers are those that never admit when they get things wrong and change things accordingly. Unfortunately, we have the latter at Ipswich.
Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:09 - Feb 13 with 3162 viewsGarv

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 10:33 - Feb 13 by BackToRussia

I honestly don't think he cares. He's on a huge, lucrative contract. This is likely to be his last job at this level, but he seems to have made his peace with it. Mick could barely seen to be considered a championship level manager as it dented his ego. Lambo seems to be cool with failing.

That seems a really easy conclusion to arrive at, but one seemingly based on very little.

Why would he employ Butcher? Why invite Holland and Burley etc. to the club? Put money behind the bar? Pay for supporters' coaches?

You can say it's all PR, but if he didn't care why would he care about having good PR?

I don't think Mick didn't care, and not that I'd expect him to do these things, but I don't think he or any recent managers did, did they?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:15 - Feb 13 with 3122 viewsurbanblue

I'm not so sure it's stubborness ... more likely indecisiveness.
Login to get fewer ads

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:15 - Feb 13 with 3122 viewsHerbivore

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:09 - Feb 13 by Garv

That seems a really easy conclusion to arrive at, but one seemingly based on very little.

Why would he employ Butcher? Why invite Holland and Burley etc. to the club? Put money behind the bar? Pay for supporters' coaches?

You can say it's all PR, but if he didn't care why would he care about having good PR?

I don't think Mick didn't care, and not that I'd expect him to do these things, but I don't think he or any recent managers did, did they?

Mick was focused on being competent at getting his team to perform. PR stunts seem to be all Lambert has in his locker.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:29 - Feb 13 with 3070 viewsGarv

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:15 - Feb 13 by Herbivore

Mick was focused on being competent at getting his team to perform. PR stunts seem to be all Lambert has in his locker.

Fine if you believe that, but it doesn't point towards a lack of care for the club and what it's aiming for, that was my point with the last comment.

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:30 - Feb 13 with 3061 viewsBackToRussia

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:15 - Feb 13 by Herbivore

This, basically. Lambo has tarted the training ground up rather than worrying what we use it for. Etc etc.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:32 - Feb 13 with 3049 viewsBackToRussia

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:29 - Feb 13 by Garv

Fine if you believe that, but it doesn't point towards a lack of care for the club and what it's aiming for, that was my point with the last comment.

If he really cared, would he manage the team like he does? He picks formations out of a hat, and doesn't even train the players on it. If you showed such basic preparation and diligence in your own job, I think it'd be fair to say, you don't care. This is the nuts and bolts of being a football manager, not swanning around with ex players and fans saying how great this club used to be and should be.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:36 - Feb 13 with 3040 viewsReuser_is_God

I don't think he is stubborn or bloody minded, he's just tactically inept.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:37 - Feb 13 with 3030 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I don't think he as stubborn as Mick was. I just don't don't think he is tactically sound.

Mick was a lot more thinner skinned than he liked to lead on.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:38 - Feb 13 with 3014 viewsBackToRussia

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:32 - Feb 13 by BackToRussia

If he really cared, would he manage the team like he does? He picks formations out of a hat, and doesn't even train the players on it. If you showed such basic preparation and diligence in your own job, I think it'd be fair to say, you don't care. This is the nuts and bolts of being a football manager, not swanning around with ex players and fans saying how great this club used to be and should be.

Honestly, I'm giving him more credit than I might do. He's either incompetent or feckless.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:39 - Feb 13 with 3010 viewsGarv

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:32 - Feb 13 by BackToRussia

How many days a week do you spend at the training ground?

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:41 - Feb 13 with 2991 viewsBackToRussia

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:39 - Feb 13 by Garv

How many days a week do you spend at the training ground?

Yeah, they really look well drilled on the pitch don't they. Those who have the odd convo with players have said that this was a complaint of theirs. The formation kept changing, but they weren't even preparing for it the week before. This is exactly how it seemed on match days.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:47 - Feb 13 with 2963 viewsHerbivore

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:29 - Feb 13 by Garv

He may well care, he's not remotely competent though.

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:57 - Feb 13 with 2931 viewsmonty_radio

Being "thin-skinned" seems regularly to go with the territory of being the old-time manager who does everything, beyond perhaps using some faithful lieutenant as a sounding board.

When you look at the management structures in the Premier (and even top Championship clubs) they get ever more nuanced and complicated. We, in contrast, have for long employed one general who last won a war when cavalry was all the rage.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 14:15 - Feb 13 with 2736 viewsGarv

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 11:47 - Feb 13 by Herbivore

He may well care, he's not remotely competent though.

Not the point of the conversation, but fine. It's quite clear you don't think think he's good enough.

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 14:16 - Feb 13 with 2733 viewsHerbivore

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 14:15 - Feb 13 by Garv

Not the point of the conversation, but fine. It's quite clear you don't think think he's good enough.

Well yeah, nobody thinks he's good enough at this point.

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 14:32 - Feb 13 with 2709 viewsOxford_Blue

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 10:33 - Feb 13 by BackToRussia

“Huge lucrative contract”

How do you know what he is being paid?

I doubt it is more than £250-300k a year. Pretty modest by the standards of football.
Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 14:35 - Feb 13 with 2696 viewsHerbivore

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 14:32 - Feb 13 by Oxford_Blue

“Huge lucrative contract”

How do you know what he is being paid?

I doubt it is more than £250-300k a year. Pretty modest by the standards of football.

You think he's on as little as £5k a week? I'd be surprised.

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 14:37 - Feb 13 with 2688 viewsfooters

Lambert is more stubborn and bloody minded than Mick was on 14:35 - Feb 13 by Herbivore

You think he's on as little as £5k a week? I'd be surprised.

MM was on close to a mil, wasn't he? Evans does show that he'll pay relative top dollar for a management team, provided they do the real legwork of running the club.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024