Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? 12:58 - Feb 14 with 3383 viewshomer_123

The one constant throughout Magilton, Keane, Jewell, Mick, Hurst and Lambert is Evans.

Mick got us the closest to the Prem with Hurst then decimating what was a half decent Championship team.

As much as it clearly isn't working under Lambert - changing manager is only going to give us, at best, a potential short term lift.

It's hard to see what would happen if we did get promoted (be it Lambert or A N Other) - Evans has shown no indication or inclination to invest anything but the minimum.

The really depressing thing is that, this one single constant, Evans, isn't going anywhere soon.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:00 - Feb 14 with 1896 viewsReuser_is_God

In the short term, between now & May, there is no reason why a new manager would not do better than what PRP is currently doing.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:02 - Feb 14 with 1885 viewshomer_123

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:00 - Feb 14 by Reuser_is_God

In the short term, between now & May, there is no reason why a new manager would not do better than what PRP is currently doing.

I'm not disputing that RiG. But irrespective of that - there is no evidence to suggest Evans would then fund putting together a team capable to remaining in the Championship, let alone challenging.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:03 - Feb 14 with 1877 viewsIllinoisblue

Warnock would get us in the top six

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:06 - Feb 14 with 1859 viewshomer_123

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:03 - Feb 14 by Illinoisblue

Warnock would get us in the top six

That's not the point I'm making - see my reply to RiG.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:06 - Feb 14 with 1858 viewsSwansea_Blue

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:02 - Feb 14 by homer_123

I'm not disputing that RiG. But irrespective of that - there is no evidence to suggest Evans would then fund putting together a team capable to remaining in the Championship, let alone challenging.

You're both right. We'd have nothing to lose with a different manager. There's far more room for improvement in results than there is for a deterioration - so no risk at all in changing PL now (not that we will).

But yeah, longer term the fundamental problems will remain. So ultimately, does it really matter? We're unlikely to have the resources to consolidate in the Championship even with a good manager. But you never know - there's always that hope that we could strike it lucky and unerath a cracking manager from effectively nowhere.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:11 - Feb 14 with 1833 viewsTractorCam

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:02 - Feb 14 by homer_123

We need that short term lift. No point thinking about 'what if' in the championship if we won't even be there. Need to get there first.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:18 - Feb 14 with 1817 viewsSouperJim

When the January window opened with us on a 9 game winless run in the league and having crashed out of all 3 cup competitions, rather than give Lambert a bizarre new five year deal what Evans should have done is given him the boot and brought Warnock in.

Now we're firmly into episode 2 of the wheels coming off our season and there isn't enough time to do anything about it.

Imho it's daft to question Evans financial commitment, but Lamberts new deal is perhaps the biggest gaffe in a very long line of gaffes since Evans came in.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:18 - Feb 14 with 1816 viewsHerbivore

For now our aim is to get out of League 1 and the manager has been backed well for that task. We can worry about the Championship if/when we get there.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:25 - Feb 14 with 1798 viewsSteve_M

Perhaps in the short-term, the contrast between the Paul Lambert who arrived 15 months ago determined to improve the club and the tired, jaded man sniping at the press this morning is marked.

The only way we challenge properly for promotion this season is if the team are motivated and confident, I thought we had that back in January and then one bad performance and we're into a poor run again.

Clearly changing the manager isn't a panacea but at the moment Lambert looks like a deadweight on the team. Of course, he did at the end of December too and then 11 points from 15 improved things a lot. Can he do that again starting tomorrow?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:34 - Feb 14 with 1764 viewsr2d2

Warnock is the answer. He is good with crap players. And we have plenty of those.
A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:35 - Feb 14 with 1766 viewshomer_123

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:25 - Feb 14 by Steve_M

Perhaps in the short-term, the contrast between the Paul Lambert who arrived 15 months ago determined to improve the club and the tired, jaded man sniping at the press this morning is marked.

The only way we challenge properly for promotion this season is if the team are motivated and confident, I thought we had that back in January and then one bad performance and we're into a poor run again.

Clearly changing the manager isn't a panacea but at the moment Lambert looks like a deadweight on the team. Of course, he did at the end of December too and then 11 points from 15 improved things a lot. Can he do that again starting tomorrow?

His demeanor is indeed markedly different.

I don't doubt a change in the manager, in the short term, is possibly the only way we'll achieve promotion. Your description of him being a dead weight is apt. I suspect few us us now believe he can achieve promotion this season.

My wider point point still remains though - whether we stay in this division or gain promotion - the constant is Evans and there is little/ nothing to suggest his approach will change either way.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:37 - Feb 14 with 1746 viewsm14_blue

I think so, yes
A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:40 - Feb 14 with 1744 viewsHerbivore

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:25 - Feb 14 by Steve_M

In fairness to Lambert he's probably feeling a bit of worn out, he's not used to being in a job for this long anymore.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:44 - Feb 14 with 1727 viewsGarv

Is that not natural though, a change in persona? The more you're challenged the more defensive you'll be, like Mick was. You'd probably be worried if he accepted defeat and admitted the club was in the brown stuff.

People need to get over the idea of Lambert leaving this season, and probably in the summer too, unless things really go tits up. You can't have a long term plan and then change everything after one season where we didn't achieve everything we wanted. I hate this constant 'if we don't go up it's a failure' nonsense. There's a reason half our squad wasn't up to the Championship.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:45 - Feb 14 with 1725 viewsSwansea_Blue

Fragile aren't we? I thought we'd turned the corner after a cope of decent results, but it took nothing for any confidence from those to simply disappear. I can't understand it, unless something is seriously wrong behind the scenes.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:45 - Feb 14 with 1722 viewsRadlett_blue

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:35 - Feb 14 by homer_123

I don't doubt a change in the manager, in the short term, is possibly the only way we'll achieve promotion. Your description of him being a dead weight is apt. I suspect few us us now believe he can achieve promotion this season.

My wider point point still remains though - whether we stay in this division or gain promotion - the constant is Evans and there is little/ nothing to suggest his approach will change either way.

While I think Lambert is flailing around like a drowning man, it's too late to replace him for this season. However, if we are to have any chance of going up next season, I think he needs to go.
No ides whom we might get in. Sheffield United tried 5 managers in 5 years before they struck lucky with the unfashionable Chris Wilder.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:45 - Feb 14 with 1725 viewsSteve_M

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:35 - Feb 14 by homer_123

I would agree with the wider point but I do think that getting promoted this season is essential to our medium-term well-being as a club. We got lucky last Summer in not needing to see Downes, Dozzell or Wolfenden cheaply but the differential on the first two we would get from selling them in the Championship is significant. And as much as that money reduces Evans spending so will whatever pittance they go for if we don't go up this Summer.

Managed decline.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:50 - Feb 14 with 1710 viewshomer_123

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:45 - Feb 14 by Steve_M

I would agree with the wider point but I do think that getting promoted this season is essential to our medium-term well-being as a club. We got lucky last Summer in not needing to see Downes, Dozzell or Wolfenden cheaply but the differential on the first two we would get from selling them in the Championship is significant. And as much as that money reduces Evans spending so will whatever pittance they go for if we don't go up this Summer.

Managed decline.

Promotion is indeed essential this year - I'm not disputing that at all.

Failure equates to selling off our better players at a lower price as we are in League 1 - managed decline is bang on Steve.

Evans has given Lambert a 5 year deal - any 'get out' clause is going to based on whether he gets us promoted. If he doesn't I'm sure we can terminate the contract but by that point - it's too late.

Evans wasn't prepared to fund Lambert this January, even for loan deals, so is likely to put his hand in his pocket to pay Lambert off?

Evans decision making, again, puts us in the worst possible situation.

I see Lambert here until the end of the season - getting in the play offs and losing heavily. Lambert walks/ we terminate contract. Well sell off our decent players and continue our decline.

#sorryforthenegativity

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:53 - Feb 14 with 1695 viewshomer_123

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:18 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

For now our aim is to get out of League 1 and the manager has been backed well for that task. We can worry about the Championship if/when we get there.

Agreed - no saying otherwise.

I am struggling to see, short/ medium or long term how we are going to get promoted this season - let along worrying about the championship and beyond.

Evans has painted himself into the worst possible corner.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:54 - Feb 14 with 1694 viewsHerbivore

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:44 - Feb 14 by Garv

Is that not natural though, a change in persona? The more you're challenged the more defensive you'll be, like Mick was. You'd probably be worried if he accepted defeat and admitted the club was in the brown stuff.

People need to get over the idea of Lambert leaving this season, and probably in the summer too, unless things really go tits up. You can't have a long term plan and then change everything after one season where we didn't achieve everything we wanted. I hate this constant 'if we don't go up it's a failure' nonsense. There's a reason half our squad wasn't up to the Championship.

If we don't go up it IS a failure though. And there is no evidence of any long term strategy from Lambert. I don't know why you still defend him.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:55 - Feb 14 with 1680 viewshomer_123

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:45 - Feb 14 by Radlett_blue

While I think Lambert is flailing around like a drowning man, it's too late to replace him for this season. However, if we are to have any chance of going up next season, I think he needs to go.
No ides whom we might get in. Sheffield United tried 5 managers in 5 years before they struck lucky with the unfashionable Chris Wilder.

How annoying would it be to find Evans paying Lambert off (millions?) but refusing to back him in January?

That said, I think we had all hoped that we would be fairing far, far better under Lamber this season, with this squad.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:55 - Feb 14 with 1674 viewshomer_123

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:54 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

If we don't go up it IS a failure though. And there is no evidence of any long term strategy from Lambert. I don't know why you still defend him.

Or from Evans - which is the main point of my OP.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:02 - Feb 14 with 1654 viewsRadlett_blue

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:55 - Feb 14 by homer_123

How annoying would it be to find Evans paying Lambert off (millions?) but refusing to back him in January?

That said, I think we had all hoped that we would be fairing far, far better under Lamber this season, with this squad.

You would think that Evans put a break clause n the contract so that Lambert can be fired without a prohibitive pay off while we remain int he 3rd tier.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:08 - Feb 14 with 1640 viewshomer_123

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:02 - Feb 14 by Radlett_blue

You would think that Evans put a break clause n the contract so that Lambert can be fired without a prohibitive pay off while we remain int he 3rd tier.

I refer the good gentleman to:

Genuine and serious question. by homer_123 8 Feb 2020 22:45
Has Evan's ever got a decision right during his time as our owner?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:10 - Feb 14 with 1630 viewsGarv

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:54 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

Why?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024