Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Met Office 12:36 - Feb 17 with 3226 viewsNewcyBlue

Are getting £1.2bn of funding for a new super computer and to run it for 10 years.

They’re looking at said computer being located in places such as Iceland and Norway.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51504002

They’re expecting this to improve the localised forecasting rather than increase the accurate forecasting beyond 5 days.

As a seafarer, I send weather observations in to the Met Office. These are then used to build up the weather forecast and climate patterns. There are also buoys all the over the world that transmit data back.

Quite fabulous really.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

The Met Office on 12:43 - Feb 17 with 2546 viewsfooters

Bit sexist that they're only using buoys to transmit the data. Sure guorls could do just a good a job.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The Met Office on 12:46 - Feb 17 with 2529 viewsjeera

"As a seafarer, I send weather observations in to the Met Office."

"Spitting a bit at the moment.

Get back to you if it gets heavier".

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The Met Office on 12:47 - Feb 17 with 2522 viewsWeWereZombies

The Met Office on 12:43 - Feb 17 by footers

Bit sexist that they're only using buoys to transmit the data. Sure guorls could do just a good a job.

Your prejudice against buoys seems a bit Suffolkist, if you ask me. Anyway, if anyone wants to post something controversial then the next two hours is the time to do it as Phil and Gav will be busy putting together their pitch to offload the Osborne 1.0

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The Met Office on 12:51 - Feb 17 with 2508 viewshomer_123

Non-bounaries?
[Post edited 17 Feb 2020 12:51]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The Met Office on 12:51 - Feb 17 with 2508 viewsNewcyBlue

The Met Office on 12:46 - Feb 17 by jeera

"As a seafarer, I send weather observations in to the Met Office."

"Spitting a bit at the moment.

Get back to you if it gets heavier".

You’ve read my reports then?!

We used to have to manually code the reports

https://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/WMOCodes/WMO306_vI1/Publications/2014update/3

But now we have a computer program that codes them so we can just email them off. Modern technology. Marvellous.

The Met Office on 12:51 - Feb 17 with 2501 viewsfooters

The Met Office on 12:51 - Feb 17 by homer_123

Non-bounaries?
[Post edited 17 Feb 2020 12:51]

Nah, they're all at sea...

The Met Office on 13:00 - Feb 17 with 2462 viewsjeera

The Met Office on 12:51 - Feb 17 by NewcyBlue

https://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/WMOCodes/WMO306_vI1/Publications/2014update/3

But now we have a computer program that codes them so we can just email them off. Modern technology. Marvellous.

That would all need some serious patience explaining that to me.

Is that a system that's evolved over time or something that's been specifically written in more modern times?

The Met Office on 13:06 - Feb 17 with 2445 viewsLord_Lucan

Over the years of fishing I have noticed that for example the French forecasts are spot on, if they say it will rain until Thursday it will in fact rain until Thursday however UK forecasts are a bit hit and miss and I have put this down to the fact that we are an island and weather changes easier. Is this correct or are we just rubbish?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

The Met Office on 13:07 - Feb 17 with 2440 viewsBrixtonBlue

Why is this "quite fabulous" but in another thread you're saying public funding for space exploration is "incredible"?

Not after a row, genuinely interested in why one bit of modern technology is a good thing and another isn't.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

The Met Office on 13:28 - Feb 17 with 2398 viewsjeera

The Met Office on 13:07 - Feb 17 by BrixtonBlue

Why is this "quite fabulous" but in another thread you're saying public funding for space exploration is "incredible"?

Not after a row, genuinely interested in why one bit of modern technology is a good thing and another isn't.

Far from my place to speak on his behalf but the weather can cost lives.

It can also affect livelihoods, directly.

They're completely different things.

The Met Office on 13:30 - Feb 17 with 2392 viewsjeera

The Met Office on 13:06 - Feb 17 by Lord_Lucan

Over the years of fishing I have noticed that for example the French forecasts are spot on, if they say it will rain until Thursday it will in fact rain until Thursday however UK forecasts are a bit hit and miss and I have put this down to the fact that we are an island and weather changes easier. Is this correct or are we just rubbish?

Whilst on the markets Lucers I would check the weather obsessively.

And although, as you say, the forecasts could often be a bit hit and miss and had to be seen as a guide rather than 100% accurate, there was one old boy who always got the forecasts right. He listened to the shipping forecasts though and swore by them.

I guess when there's more at stake.

The Met Office on 13:36 - Feb 17 with 2376 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Met Office on 13:28 - Feb 17 by jeera

It can, but isn't the weather reporting already fairly accurate? Do we really need to spend £1.2bn to improve it a bit? I've no idea, genuine question.

Also, it's not as if it's a straight choice between this weather computer and space exploration. You can have both.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

The Met Office on 13:38 - Feb 17 with 2367 viewsHARRY10

They are actually known as bouyos off the cost of Wales
The Met Office on 13:39 - Feb 17 with 2366 viewsjeera

The Met Office on 13:36 - Feb 17 by BrixtonBlue

It can, but isn't the weather reporting already fairly accurate? Do we really need to spend £1.2bn to improve it a bit? I've no idea, genuine question.

Also, it's not as if it's a straight choice between this weather computer and space exploration. You can have both.

Weather reporting isn't as accurate as it could be and technology is improving as well as weather pattern extremes changing.

I'm not sure I see the relevance to space exploration.

That is, if we assume funding isn't infinite.

A matter of priorities surely.

The Met Office on 13:41 - Feb 17 with 2361 viewsDanTheMan

The Met Office on 13:36 - Feb 17 by BrixtonBlue

There's an explanation as to why this is good on their website
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/what/technology/supercomputer

TL;DR - These computers help you predict the weather more accurately earlier. Doing this saves money long term.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

The Met Office on 13:42 - Feb 17 with 2360 viewstractorian

The Met Office on 12:51 - Feb 17 by NewcyBlue

Thst took me back. I spent my National Service, six months of it at Milkdenhall - 03578 I seem to remember - as a Meteoroligist. Then, it was 3 Group Bomber Command Headquarters, but I expect The RAF moved out long ago.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2020 13:48]
The Met Office on 13:45 - Feb 17 with 2339 viewsDarth_Koont

The Met Office on 13:28 - Feb 17 by jeera

You say that but I've seen Independence Day. I for one will welcome our alien overlords.

(If they're listening/reading)

Pronouns: He/Him

The Met Office on 14:39 - Feb 17 with 2251 viewsNewcyBlue

The Met Office on 13:07 - Feb 17 by BrixtonBlue

Because it’s incredible that spending that money would find something. I am not against spending that money at all.

I find science to be incredible.

I also find the art of meteorology to be quite fabulous.

You obviously mistook my “incredible” comment.

The Met Office on 14:46 - Feb 17 with 2237 viewsNewcyBlue

The Met Office on 13:06 - Feb 17 by Lord_Lucan

UK weather is fairly easy.

Predominant winds are South Westerlies.

West coast is wetter than east coast.

Watch for changes in the Jet Stream to ascertain for changes in what will happen to weather for us. The Azores high will also affect this.

Weather fronts move easterly across the Atlantic so can easily be spotted, and monitored.

The Met Office on 14:47 - Feb 17 with 2233 viewsNewcyBlue

The Met Office on 13:42 - Feb 17 by tractorian

Thst took me back. I spent my National Service, six months of it at Milkdenhall - 03578 I seem to remember - as a Meteoroligist. Then, it was 3 Group Bomber Command Headquarters, but I expect The RAF moved out long ago.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2020 13:48]

I love Met. I can study synoptic charts all day.

I’ve built Seb a weather station in the back garden.

The Met Office on 15:22 - Feb 17 with 2159 viewsRadlett_blue

i have heard some say that the BBC Shipping forecast is now a near irrelevance as most ships have better on board technology. wondering if as a mariner you would agree?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Met Office on 15:24 - Feb 17 with 2151 viewsfooters

The Met Office on 15:22 - Feb 17 by Radlett_blue

i have heard some say that the BBC Shipping forecast is now a near irrelevance as most ships have better on board technology. wondering if as a mariner you would agree?

Quite possible. But then you don't get to giggle at someone with a BBC accent saying 'dogger'.

The Met Office on 15:47 - Feb 17 with 2114 viewsWeWereZombies

The Met Office on 13:45 - Feb 17 by Darth_Koont

You say that but I've seen Independence Day. I for one will welcome our alien overlords.

(If they're listening/reading)

Already happened, mate - you've seen who is in the White House...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The Met Office on 15:47 - Feb 17 with 2114 viewsRadlett_blue

The Met Office on 15:24 - Feb 17 by footers

Quite possible. But then you don't get to giggle at someone with a BBC accent saying 'dogger'.

A friend of mine who has no interest in sailing regularly listens to the shipping forecast.
Mind you, he is a little odd.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Met Office on 17:30 - Feb 17 with 2020 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Met Office on 14:39 - Feb 17 by NewcyBlue

Because it’s incredible that spending that money would find something. I am not against spending that money at all.

I find science to be incredible.

I also find the art of meteorology to be quite fabulous.

You obviously mistook my “incredible” comment.

Fairy nuff. Apologies for my misreading.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024