Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... 22:09 - Mar 4 with 6850 viewsITFC_Forever

.... but last night was an epiphany to me in that it made me realise, in all its raw awfulness, exactly what we have become.

And today I have felt bereft, bereaved, like someone close to me has gone.

I know life is about more than football and ITFC, but to those of us who have spent far, far more time and money than is good for them, missed various other things I could have been doing to go to games, and effectively planned my life around each season’s fixture list.... I now feel empty.

And the worst of it is, I don’t think we have reached the bottom yet.

ME can’t or won’t put any more money in.... and in the context of the football industry (as bat-sh*t mental as it is), that’s not good news.
I know a guy who works at the club, I won’t say in what capacity as it’s not fair on him and he said it simply.... “there is no money”.

Quite where we go from here, God knows. Lambert will be gone soon enough, but where we go from there I don’t know.... or don’t want to contemplate.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 22:26]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 22:13 - Mar 4 with 5195 viewsReuser_is_God

Last night was the lowest I’ve been following us &, as you & many others today have said, we’re not even at rock bottom yet.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 22:21 - Mar 4 with 5101 viewsFtnfwest

Right I’ve calmed down now. Took ftnfwest jnr as he’s back home on a reading week from uni. He’s always been a town fan despite attending other clubs games as well, mainly Luton, with his mates (we’re in north Herts). Don’t know if that distracted me a bit last night but I went in with paper thin confidence for the match and within 5 minutes felt myself almost not caring, a bit like the players in front of me. Garbutt gets (mostly not from us thank god) 28k a week ffs. Went downstairs from sir bob upper for a beer at half time and almost said to son shall we go home it was that bad. Glad I stayed, just, as the players who came on improved things a bit but overall it’s desperate atm. Evans and his funding level should be irrelevant in this division. It will only become an issue again if we ever get promoted. His managerial choices will be though and the tragedy so far has not been his change of tack to go for a young coach , but his choice of hurst. I like many welcomed it, but tbh had never heard of the bloke and it ended in tears with the result that Marcus won’t do it again and we’re back to the old lags again.
My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 22:40 - Mar 4 with 4965 viewsmonty_radio

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 22:21 - Mar 4 by Ftnfwest

Right I’ve calmed down now. Took ftnfwest jnr as he’s back home on a reading week from uni. He’s always been a town fan despite attending other clubs games as well, mainly Luton, with his mates (we’re in north Herts). Don’t know if that distracted me a bit last night but I went in with paper thin confidence for the match and within 5 minutes felt myself almost not caring, a bit like the players in front of me. Garbutt gets (mostly not from us thank god) 28k a week ffs. Went downstairs from sir bob upper for a beer at half time and almost said to son shall we go home it was that bad. Glad I stayed, just, as the players who came on improved things a bit but overall it’s desperate atm. Evans and his funding level should be irrelevant in this division. It will only become an issue again if we ever get promoted. His managerial choices will be though and the tragedy so far has not been his change of tack to go for a young coach , but his choice of hurst. I like many welcomed it, but tbh had never heard of the bloke and it ended in tears with the result that Marcus won’t do it again and we’re back to the old lags again.

Hitchin or Letchworth? Lived in Royston for 30 yrs, but Luton was never near enough unless the Town were there. Saw them lose embarrassingly in a pre-season there in the year that eventually led to Mick.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 22:47 - Mar 4 with 4916 viewsFtnfwest

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 22:40 - Mar 4 by monty_radio

Hitchin or Letchworth? Lived in Royston for 30 yrs, but Luton was never near enough unless the Town were there. Saw them lose embarrassingly in a pre-season there in the year that eventually led to Mick.

LGC. With Luton, there’s a real story of hitting rock bottom for years and then coming back. Mind you they may have found their level now. We’ve been losing embarrassingly to small teams with or without MM for years! Remember a 3-0 pre season hammering at Stevenage during Jewell’s time I think
My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 22:52 - Mar 4 with 4879 viewsmonty_radio

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 22:47 - Mar 4 by Ftnfwest

LGC. With Luton, there’s a real story of hitting rock bottom for years and then coming back. Mind you they may have found their level now. We’ve been losing embarrassingly to small teams with or without MM for years! Remember a 3-0 pre season hammering at Stevenage during Jewell’s time I think

Has the ground improved at all?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 22:59 - Mar 4 with 4861 viewsRadlett_blue

The problem in the 3rd tier isn't the amount of money that Evans is putting in. It's down to an incompetent manager who is unable to organise or motivate a squad who with even a minimum of management should be in the top 4 in this league. I never understood all the love for Lambert when he arrived - a washed up manager who had some success over 5 years ago, rather like Jewell.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 23:22 - Mar 4 with 4778 viewsBluefish

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 22:13 - Mar 4 by Reuser_is_God

Last night was the lowest I’ve been following us &, as you & many others today have said, we’re not even at rock bottom yet.

The lowest will always be singing songs against our team in harmony with norwich. Highly unlikely anything will beat that ever

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 23:27 - Mar 4 with 4755 viewsMach_foreignBlue

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 22:13 - Mar 4 by Reuser_is_God

Worse for me was only 1-5 to Norwich and that day when our defence made me realise that there was no escape for us, that was 2-3 to Bristol City.
Login to get fewer ads

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 00:11 - Mar 5 with 4643 viewseddiespearitt03

The ironic theme with "some" football managers is an overdose of self importance and arrogance. How we always seem to find these inflated ego,s managing our club is a mystery.

We just can,t find the right man to motivate a unit of men into warriors on the pitch. Couple that with a lack of ability and the recent results backs that up. Ultimately though, it is the lack of real leadership and anonymity from Marcus Evans that seals this football clubs fate. As we have now reverted to relegation form there is little noise coming from Evans or O,Neil.
My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 03:12 - Mar 5 with 4537 viewsBlueBadger

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 00:11 - Mar 5 by eddiespearitt03

The ironic theme with "some" football managers is an overdose of self importance and arrogance. How we always seem to find these inflated ego,s managing our club is a mystery.

We just can,t find the right man to motivate a unit of men into warriors on the pitch. Couple that with a lack of ability and the recent results backs that up. Ultimately though, it is the lack of real leadership and anonymity from Marcus Evans that seals this football clubs fate. As we have now reverted to relegation form there is little noise coming from Evans or O,Neil.

We had a man who could motivate average players into warriors. People wanted him sacked because he said a bad word at a football match.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 05:44 - Mar 5 with 4432 viewsbrogansnose

Thats where I am. I've been able to dress up the stark reality of our situation with the tenous hope of new managers , players, optimism built on alcohol fueled chatting cobblers with mates but now we are laid bare. Peterborough really did it for me and I'm now empty and it is paining me to watch and witness our demise. Not sure what I'm going to do bext season, probably renew but pick and chose games and , Bristol apart, doubt I'll do any more games this season. Am I wrong to renew and give Evans money ? Not go to games and 'cheer' this lot on ? Yeah, more than likely, thing is right now, I don't think I give a toss anymore.
My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 06:37 - Mar 5 with 4329 viewsITFC_Forever

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 03:12 - Mar 5 by BlueBadger

We had a man who could motivate average players into warriors. People wanted him sacked because he said a bad word at a football match.

No they didn’t and no he wasn’t.

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 07:29 - Mar 5 with 4222 viewsBlueAllOver

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 22:59 - Mar 4 by Radlett_blue

The problem in the 3rd tier isn't the amount of money that Evans is putting in. It's down to an incompetent manager who is unable to organise or motivate a squad who with even a minimum of management should be in the top 4 in this league. I never understood all the love for Lambert when he arrived - a washed up manager who had some success over 5 years ago, rather like Jewell.

Totally this - Evans is at fault for employing and currently still employing Lambert but not for the budget in League 1 - Smokescreen for Lambert to hide behind and disguise the fact he is useless. You only need to look at Coventry to see money is not a big thing in League 1

Championship yes Evans was underfunding but not this year.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2020 7:46]
My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 07:44 - Mar 5 with 4168 viewsITFC_Forever

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 22:59 - Mar 4 by Radlett_blue

All very true, as others have said as well in other threads, money this season isn’t the issue ..... A lack of identity, strategy and structure as well as pure bad management are more the case.

But it is a lack of money that has led us to be in this division in the first place. (As well as all of the above).

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 09:05 - Mar 5 with 4044 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 03:12 - Mar 5 by BlueBadger

Well that is not really the reason though is it.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 09:57 - Mar 5 with 3977 viewsJimmy86

The same man who has been responsible for instilling the comfort zone culture the club currently finds itself in.... was never Didzy's biggest fan, but his comments on joining Sheff Utd were telling of the mentality Mick created amongst the players.... he had a fresh challenge, where he was joining a team that expected to go out and win, or certainly try to win every game.... hearing Mick say if he was offered a point now he'd take it and not get off the bus.... what mindset does that give the players, when that was being spouted by their boss.... that culture still exists today and any manager who has come in since has battled with that from the outset.

Hurst was ultimately a disaster and his man management wasnt up to it, but was he wrong to come in and try and shake things up a bit regarding the comfort zone the players had clearly enjoyed under Mick??
My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 10:00 - Mar 5 with 3955 viewsitfcjoe

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 09:57 - Mar 5 by Jimmy86

The same man who has been responsible for instilling the comfort zone culture the club currently finds itself in.... was never Didzy's biggest fan, but his comments on joining Sheff Utd were telling of the mentality Mick created amongst the players.... he had a fresh challenge, where he was joining a team that expected to go out and win, or certainly try to win every game.... hearing Mick say if he was offered a point now he'd take it and not get off the bus.... what mindset does that give the players, when that was being spouted by their boss.... that culture still exists today and any manager who has come in since has battled with that from the outset.

Hurst was ultimately a disaster and his man management wasnt up to it, but was he wrong to come in and try and shake things up a bit regarding the comfort zone the players had clearly enjoyed under Mick??

Yes he clearly was wrong, he took a team who had finished 12th in the Championship and began its journey to L1 also fans

That you even consider his approach as correct and Micks as wrong is mental

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 10:04 - Mar 5 with 3934 viewsFTP

Fair post. Understand. Exactly how so many have been made to feel. Sad times. Club is in free fall. I also can't see the way out.
My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 10:08 - Mar 5 with 3912 viewsJimmy86

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 10:00 - Mar 5 by itfcjoe

Yes he clearly was wrong, he took a team who had finished 12th in the Championship and began its journey to L1 also fans

That you even consider his approach as correct and Micks as wrong is mental

He went about things the wrong way admittedly and as I said his man management wasnt up to it, but he was always up against it coming in after Mick. Mick did do a good job with very little money, that is not disputed, however Mick was and is responsible for the weak mentality we have in this squad.

Hurst wasnt wrong when he said he wanted the players to be the best version of themselves they could possibly be.... he tried to give them a rocket after Exeter in the cup, yet another loss to a lower division team at the time and the players didn't like it and then downed tools.... the players are weak mentally and Mick had a big part to play in that, despite doing a good job on the whole
My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 10:13 - Mar 5 with 3884 viewsitfcjoe

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 10:08 - Mar 5 by Jimmy86

He went about things the wrong way admittedly and as I said his man management wasnt up to it, but he was always up against it coming in after Mick. Mick did do a good job with very little money, that is not disputed, however Mick was and is responsible for the weak mentality we have in this squad.

Hurst wasnt wrong when he said he wanted the players to be the best version of themselves they could possibly be.... he tried to give them a rocket after Exeter in the cup, yet another loss to a lower division team at the time and the players didn't like it and then downed tools.... the players are weak mentally and Mick had a big part to play in that, despite doing a good job on the whole

Players who are weak mentally don’t finish top half 4 out of 5 seasons, and in that other season easily battle away from a potential relegation fight

It’s just nonsense to blame Mick, that those who followed him have been poor man managers is not his fault

Same here (n/t) on 10:15 - Mar 5 with 3871 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 10:20 - Mar 5 with 3831 viewsJimmy86

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 10:13 - Mar 5 by itfcjoe

Players who are weak mentally don’t finish top half 4 out of 5 seasons, and in that other season easily battle away from a potential relegation fight

It’s just nonsense to blame Mick, that those who followed him have been poor man managers is not his fault

All I'm trying to say is that within the club there is a massive comfort zone culture, as I say again, Mick did a great job with limited resources, but what precedent did Mick set the players, with his "I'd take a point now if they offered me and would stay on the bus" that is such a defeatist, weak mentality, which could be why the players seemingly now struggle with any sort of expectancy levels or pressure, as there clearly never has been that.... when something has been expected of them they have folded like a pack of cards.... that's their problem and no one else's
My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 10:24 - Mar 5 with 3820 viewsitfcjoe

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 10:20 - Mar 5 by Jimmy86

All I'm trying to say is that within the club there is a massive comfort zone culture, as I say again, Mick did a great job with limited resources, but what precedent did Mick set the players, with his "I'd take a point now if they offered me and would stay on the bus" that is such a defeatist, weak mentality, which could be why the players seemingly now struggle with any sort of expectancy levels or pressure, as there clearly never has been that.... when something has been expected of them they have folded like a pack of cards.... that's their problem and no one else's

Going to tough away games and taking a point isn’t a weak mentality, it’s a manager setting out to his players what he wants and what he will set as a minimum standard.

The players struggle with mentality because the manager doesn’t and can’t motivate them - not because the previous, previous manager was able to get what he wanted out of them.

There has been two big overhauls since then, maybe it’s these players who don’t have the right mentality, or ability?

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 10:32 - Mar 5 with 3787 viewsJimmy86

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 10:24 - Mar 5 by itfcjoe

Going to tough away games and taking a point isn’t a weak mentality, it’s a manager setting out to his players what he wants and what he will set as a minimum standard.

The players struggle with mentality because the manager doesn’t and can’t motivate them - not because the previous, previous manager was able to get what he wanted out of them.

There has been two big overhauls since then, maybe it’s these players who don’t have the right mentality, or ability?

It's totally the players who dont have the right mentality, but that's a result of it all being too comfortable! Mate, I respect your opinion and pretty much everything you post is spot on, you know your stuff and are in the know etc.

I'm as pissed off as everyone is, I dont think it's all Lambert's fault though. The rotation clearly doesnt help and things are clearly not going well, dont know what the answer is. Things were never this bad under Mick, but his time had definitely run its course, it's what's happened since that has been the issue
My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 10:38 - Mar 5 with 3753 viewsitfcjoe

My tuppence worth....This is going to sound soft.... on 10:32 - Mar 5 by Jimmy86

It's totally the players who dont have the right mentality, but that's a result of it all being too comfortable! Mate, I respect your opinion and pretty much everything you post is spot on, you know your stuff and are in the know etc.

I'm as pissed off as everyone is, I dont think it's all Lambert's fault though. The rotation clearly doesnt help and things are clearly not going well, dont know what the answer is. Things were never this bad under Mick, but his time had definitely run its course, it's what's happened since that has been the issue

I don’t disagree with the last bit, a change was needed.

But when Lambert talks about struggling under expectations then that is on him - that is a part of management. I just don’t buy that it was too comfy under Mick, he did what he needed to do to create an environment to get the best out of what he had.

The current manager can’t keep making excuses for his own inadequacies, if the players are good enough then he has to get their heads right and the environment right. People said the same at Wolves when they got taken down into L1 but Jackett went in there and got 100 points - because he’s a good manager.

Fans need to stop looking for excuses and blaming things that are no longer relevant - that is part of a weak mentality.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024