Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Style of play and set up 08:29 - Aug 19 with 1027 viewsitfcjoe

Feels like we've gone full circle back to this post in pre season.

Paul Hurst - Making his mark by itfcjoe 20 Jul 2018 8:27
I've been to all 3 pre season games at all the age levels this week (1st team v Crawley, U23s v Lowestoft and U18s v Sudbury) and it's really clear that Hurst has been getting his ideas over to each team - there have been huge similarities in all 3 games.

Back 4
Spence - Woolfenden - Chambers - Kenlock
Cotter - Marshall - Ndaba - Webber
Ronan - Henry - Vega - Clements

Full backs pushing on very high when we have the ball, acting as almost wingers when on the attack, Defensively being asked to defend 1 on 1 a lot and win battles. Ball to be passed out from the back

Defensive Midfield 1
Skuse
McGavin
Scott

Takes the ball of the back 4, and looks to begin play - key out ball is a diaganol to the full backs who are advanced and play begins from there. When we have the ball split the centre backs and drop into a back 3 so more ground is covered to ward of counter attacks.

Midfield 1
Dozzell
Crowe
El-Mizouni

More of a ball player, but a lot of responsibility to press as well. If Diagonal to full back isn't on then up to them to take ball of the deep lying player and try to create something and get playing. Recycling possession.

Attacking 3
Sears - Nydam - Ward
Folami - Lankester - Roberts
Foudil - Dobra - Hughes

Wide players have to cover a lot of ground and get up and down the pitch - stay very wide without the ball and try to take ball down the line on counters. When they have the full backs up supporting them seem to drift inside to try and get extra bodies int he middle whilst still linking up with the full back who is the one who tends to get the cross in. Central man presses the CBs and DMs hard, and gets beyond the striker often looking to score goals or get on the end of crosses in the box.

Striker 1
Waghorn
Drinan
Brown

A lot of back to goal play, and a lot of tireless running. Has to be able to break quickly and carry the ball, but also bring others into play when the game requires it. A position that a lot of half chances seem to fall to and needs to be a good finisher.

One of the main things I've noted though, is that the pressing is very high and very intense - all 3 games have seen us tail off in the second half as players seem to run out of puff.

We are playing more football, and getting more men forward than the previous manager - the midfielders are getting ahead of the striker and making late 3rd man runs which are hard to pick up. Dobra did this especially well last night.

I'm very impressed at how quickly the message seems to have been gotten across at all levels, and think the players have had a really physically tough pre season - the youths seem to be on similar fitness regimes to the first team which is very tough, but required.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Style of play and set up on 08:36 - Aug 19 with 966 viewstractorboy1978

3-5-2 at Spurs then.

In all seriousness, I hope we stick with this now and have faith. I know it's only a couple of friendlies but we looked far better drilled last night with the players knowing their roles.

EDIT - Ward played well but that pushed on full back role looked well suited to Garbutt to me.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2020 8:39]
Style of play and set up on 08:38 - Aug 19 with 950 viewsSwansea_Blue

Style of play and set up on 08:36 - Aug 19 by tractorboy1978

3-5-2 at Spurs then.

In all seriousness, I hope we stick with this now and have faith. I know it's only a couple of friendlies but we looked far better drilled last night with the players knowing their roles.

EDIT - Ward played well but that pushed on full back role looked well suited to Garbutt to me.

I was going to say don’t worry, it’ll soon change. We’ll stick with this for a while but as soon as we start losing a competitive match he’ll change it all up, probably by half time.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Style of play and set up on 08:42 - Aug 19 with 918 viewsitfcjoe

Style of play and set up on 08:36 - Aug 19 by tractorboy1978

3-5-2 at Spurs then.

Garbutt just doesn't defend well enough for it, you end up having to do a lot of 1v1 defending and that just wasn't his game

Style of play and set up on 09:02 - Aug 19 with 853 viewsBrianTablet

I think the issue with that system has always been that you need players comfortable on the ball, particularly defenders. It's all very well having a system that involves full-backs going forward, but if you're CBs (DMs) panic every time they have the ball, then it falls apart.
The CB/DM then ends up hoofing it long, where there is only the lone striker, who gets moaned at for being ineffective, the cry goes out for 2/3 up front, and the system gets put back in the cupboard.
In our case, only Skuse is brave enough to demand the ball, but he lacks the skill to use it well. Downs could be that player, if he can establish a Magilton role in the team.
I think the key to our success is to have at least one Mark Venus/Wayne Brown type defender. Woolfenden will help, as he looks good with the ball, but over the years with Smith, Chambers, Nsiala, etc, it's not surprising why it's failed.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Style of play and set up on 09:15 - Aug 19 with 802 viewsitfcjoe

Style of play and set up on 09:02 - Aug 19 by BrianTablet

I think the issue with that system has always been that you need players comfortable on the ball, particularly defenders. It's all very well having a system that involves full-backs going forward, but if you're CBs (DMs) panic every time they have the ball, then it falls apart.
The CB/DM then ends up hoofing it long, where there is only the lone striker, who gets moaned at for being ineffective, the cry goes out for 2/3 up front, and the system gets put back in the cupboard.
In our case, only Skuse is brave enough to demand the ball, but he lacks the skill to use it well. Downs could be that player, if he can establish a Magilton role in the team.
I think the key to our success is to have at least one Mark Venus/Wayne Brown type defender. Woolfenden will help, as he looks good with the ball, but over the years with Smith, Chambers, Nsiala, etc, it's not surprising why it's failed.

The defenders are good enough on the ball to pick a pass but depends on the movement of those ahead of them to give them options - expecting them to thread it through players to make low percentage passes is doomed to failure

Style of play and set up on 09:18 - Aug 19 with 776 viewsGarv

Style of play and set up on 09:15 - Aug 19 by itfcjoe

The defenders are good enough on the ball to pick a pass but depends on the movement of those ahead of them to give them options - expecting them to thread it through players to make low percentage passes is doomed to failure

We haven't seen movement at Portman Road since the Magilton days.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Style of play and set up on 09:37 - Aug 19 with 715 viewshomer_123

Style of play and set up on 09:15 - Aug 19 by itfcjoe

Wilson isn't good enough on the ball for this system at all Joe. An out and out honest pro CB - no nonsense defending (which I quite like by the way) but asking him to play with his feet is asking for trouble.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2020 11:00]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Style of play and set up on 11:02 - Aug 19 with 535 viewsBlueBadger

Style of play and set up on 09:18 - Aug 19 by Garv

We haven't seen movement at Portman Road since the Magilton days.

*citation needed*

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024