Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wow that's a lot of football 09:33 - Aug 21 with 1826 viewsSomethingBlue

You'd hope it's a good time to play Wigan given the obvious. Even better if they lose a couple more players, still a lot of experience in their squad and some quality. Hope things do settle down there but maybe not for another few weeks.

Looking at that schedule really hammers home that judicious rotation *will* be needed this season and I don't want to hear too many moans if & when we make wholesale changes in the cups. Last season it seemed PL confused himself with the number of options he had in certain areas; our squad is big but this season, more than any, should be one where we can take advantage of that fact.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Wow that's a lot of football on 09:35 - Aug 21 with 1807 viewsDanTheMan

Rotating players is fine, I don't want a new system every other week though, which seemed to me to by our main issue. Half the time I couldn't even tell what we were trying to do.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Wow that's a lot of football on 09:39 - Aug 21 with 1757 viewsHerbivore

Wow that's a lot of football on 09:35 - Aug 21 by DanTheMan

Rotating players is fine, I don't want a new system every other week though, which seemed to me to by our main issue. Half the time I couldn't even tell what we were trying to do.

Absolutely this. A few changes each week is fine if people are rotating in and out of a relatively settled system and line up. However, Lambingo entailed picking both a system and a line up out of a hat.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Wow that's a lot of football on 09:44 - Aug 21 with 1725 viewsSomethingBlue

Wow that's a lot of football on 09:39 - Aug 21 by Herbivore

Absolutely this. A few changes each week is fine if people are rotating in and out of a relatively settled system and line up. However, Lambingo entailed picking both a system and a line up out of a hat.

You are both right — it's fine if the players coming in clearly know their jobs and are in tune with each other. If PL does learn from that, we should be strong contenders. Time will tell ...

Wow that's a lot of football on 09:45 - Aug 21 with 1709 viewsstopmoaning

It's likely the game won't go ahead vs Wigan though isn't it?
Wow that's a lot of football on 09:46 - Aug 21 with 1700 viewsHerbivore

Wow that's a lot of football on 09:45 - Aug 21 by stopmoaning

It's likely the game won't go ahead vs Wigan though isn't it?

How come?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Wow that's a lot of football on 09:48 - Aug 21 with 1686 viewsBloomBlue

Is there a chance Wigan won't even exist as a club? I've not been following their administration situation over the last couple of weeks but is there a chance they won't be able to fulfil all their figures this season so the EFL kick them out before the season starts rather than have another Bury situation and allow them to start the season with the potential of being kicked out after a few games?
Wow that's a lot of football on 09:48 - Aug 21 with 1692 viewsclive_baker

It's unavoidable and entirely appropriate to rotate personnel, but as you say we need a coherent system that everyone is aligned to. We can't expect 11 players to play 50+ games in 245 days. Nobody is capable of that. The question is can we get 30+ big games out of a core of c. 18 of them, and rotate appropriately. I think we can manage that in the midfield and forward areas without compromise, especially if Norwood can get back tio 100%. It's the defence that worries me, as the trio of Wilson, Nsiala, Donacien aren't in the same league as KVY, Woolfy, Chambo IMO.

I'm sure it doesn't need saying but we really do need to be single minded about the league, this year more than ever. If we're back in the Championship next season but we're out of every cup at the first round I'm sure we'll all take that.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Wow that's a lot of football on 09:51 - Aug 21 with 1677 viewsSomethingBlue

Wow that's a lot of football on 09:48 - Aug 21 by clive_baker

It's unavoidable and entirely appropriate to rotate personnel, but as you say we need a coherent system that everyone is aligned to. We can't expect 11 players to play 50+ games in 245 days. Nobody is capable of that. The question is can we get 30+ big games out of a core of c. 18 of them, and rotate appropriately. I think we can manage that in the midfield and forward areas without compromise, especially if Norwood can get back tio 100%. It's the defence that worries me, as the trio of Wilson, Nsiala, Donacien aren't in the same league as KVY, Woolfy, Chambo IMO.

I'm sure it doesn't need saying but we really do need to be single minded about the league, this year more than ever. If we're back in the Championship next season but we're out of every cup at the first round I'm sure we'll all take that.

Exactly this re your last line. I couldn't give half a sh6t about the cups. We need to get out of this division very quickly, it will get harder every single year and become a lottery if we don't.

Login to get fewer ads

Wow that's a lot of football on 09:54 - Aug 21 with 1656 viewsDanTheMan

Agreed, it's not like we've had any decent cup runs recently, what's another year. Screw 'em, it's much more important we get out of this league whilst we still have an advantage.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Wow that's a lot of football on 10:07 - Aug 21 with 1535 viewsITFC_Forever

And neither could the players.

Having rotation is fine, if all the squad are well-drilled in the system the team are playing.

As for Wigan, if a takeover isn't completed by 31st August, then it's very possible they may no longer be around by the time we are due to play them.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Wow that's a lot of football on 10:28 - Aug 21 with 1460 viewsrickw

Wow that's a lot of football on 10:07 - Aug 21 by ITFC_Forever

And neither could the players.

Having rotation is fine, if all the squad are well-drilled in the system the team are playing.

As for Wigan, if a takeover isn't completed by 31st August, then it's very possible they may no longer be around by the time we are due to play them.

From reading their forums they've now sold around £8m of players which covers the debt immediately owed, so they should exist but won't have much of a choice of players to pick from when the season starts (they're still expecting a couple more to leave)

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Wow that's a lot of football on 10:37 - Aug 21 with 1433 viewsHalf_Idiot

Wow that's a lot of football on 10:28 - Aug 21 by rickw

From reading their forums they've now sold around £8m of players which covers the debt immediately owed, so they should exist but won't have much of a choice of players to pick from when the season starts (they're still expecting a couple more to leave)

So it's likely they'll be in a similar position to Bolton were last season squad wise?

The last I've seen is the the owner has waived the debts owed to his companies by the club, this might make them a bit more appealing for any potential buyers.
Wow that's a lot of football on 11:05 - Aug 21 with 1395 viewsitfcjoe

I'm normally one that wants to take the cup a bit more seriously, especially last year when we were making massive changes and cancelling league games for internationals so we just had such a stop start campaign in the league I think it could have been better managed.

But this year, wouldn't bother me if we stuck the U23s in all the cups, or we just had a 'cup team' outside the main 18-20 players who should be involved week in-week out

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Wow that's a lot of football on 11:15 - Aug 21 with 1348 viewsBrixtonBlue

Wow that's a lot of football on 11:05 - Aug 21 by itfcjoe

I'm normally one that wants to take the cup a bit more seriously, especially last year when we were making massive changes and cancelling league games for internationals so we just had such a stop start campaign in the league I think it could have been better managed.

But this year, wouldn't bother me if we stuck the U23s in all the cups, or we just had a 'cup team' outside the main 18-20 players who should be involved week in-week out

Aren't there some rules about playing a certain amount of first teamers?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Wow that's a lot of football on 11:16 - Aug 21 with 1342 viewsrickw

Wow that's a lot of football on 10:37 - Aug 21 by Half_Idiot

So it's likely they'll be in a similar position to Bolton were last season squad wise?

The last I've seen is the the owner has waived the debts owed to his companies by the club, this might make them a bit more appealing for any potential buyers.

They might be stronger, Wiki is still showing them with 16 players - but as I said their fans are expecting a couple more to go from there, so I imagine they'll be able to cobble together an XI from from their last season's first team squad players who nobody wanted (including Joe Garner) but with just kids on the bench

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Wow that's a lot of football on 11:18 - Aug 21 with 1333 viewsitfcjoe

Wow that's a lot of football on 11:15 - Aug 21 by BrixtonBlue

Aren't there some rules about playing a certain amount of first teamers?

There are, but our squad is so big that we should be ok with it anyway - i.e. it's something like a certain number need to have played the last game, played the majority of games or 50 league appearances in career - we end up having so many players that are eligible that it almost doesn't come into our thinking

I wonder if they will be a bit more lenient this year as well bearing in mind we've literally lost 5 weeks off the start of the season?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Wow that's a lot of football on 11:22 - Aug 21 with 1312 viewsclive_baker

Wow that's a lot of football on 11:05 - Aug 21 by itfcjoe

Me too. I would never be an advocate of trying to lose. I want to win every game we play in, winning is habitual. It creates a feel good factor, players are at training 15 minutes early with smiles on their faces, the standard increases, fans & media are more positive etc, attendances are up, and that has a massive snowball effect. Last season I couldn't comprehend why we were so keen to disrupt our own flow by postponing games. We were our own worst enemy.

Rotation is different though, I'm more than happy for a midfield 3 of Nolan - Skuse - Dozzell in a cup game if the following league match our preference is Bishop - Downes - Huws for example. We still need to try and win every game, and have that healthy level of appetite to do so but I agree it's about prioritising the league and not compromising that at all.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Wow that's a lot of football on 11:26 - Aug 21 with 1280 viewsBrixtonBlue

Wow that's a lot of football on 11:22 - Aug 21 by clive_baker

Me too. I would never be an advocate of trying to lose. I want to win every game we play in, winning is habitual. It creates a feel good factor, players are at training 15 minutes early with smiles on their faces, the standard increases, fans & media are more positive etc, attendances are up, and that has a massive snowball effect. Last season I couldn't comprehend why we were so keen to disrupt our own flow by postponing games. We were our own worst enemy.

Rotation is different though, I'm more than happy for a midfield 3 of Nolan - Skuse - Dozzell in a cup game if the following league match our preference is Bishop - Downes - Huws for example. We still need to try and win every game, and have that healthy level of appetite to do so but I agree it's about prioritising the league and not compromising that at all.

Cup games should be an opportunity for fringe players to force their way into the first team.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Wow that's a lot of football on 12:24 - Aug 21 with 1159 viewsyesjohn99

Strongest 11 needs to start every league game. I like others, love the cups, but this season is all about promotion. Fringe and U23’s in the cups.

An absolutely huge season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024