Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote 12:16 - Sep 11 with 2379 viewsKeno

How is Nicola going to play that then??

Freedom for the Shetlands!!

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/shetland-votes-seek-independence-scotland
[Post edited 11 Sep 2020 12:17]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 12:19 - Sep 11 with 2358 viewshomer_123

Can we let Cornwall join them?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 12:23 - Sep 11 with 2341 viewseireblue

With jealousy and fear.

They may have an overwhelming majority and Shetland 3 Scotland 0 even in a pre-qualifier warm-up is going to be really embarrassing.
Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 12:24 - Sep 11 with 2336 viewsDarth_Koont

They've got a decent case for it. This is a decades-long movement too.

But I'd like to think an independent Scotland within the EU could be the best result for them.

Pronouns: He/Him

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 12:30 - Sep 11 with 2310 viewsKeno

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 12:24 - Sep 11 by Darth_Koont

They've got a decent case for it. This is a decades-long movement too.

But I'd like to think an independent Scotland within the EU could be the best result for them.

Am I right in thinking if they get independence from Scotland they retain a large proportion of the oil revenues?

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 12:33 - Sep 11 with 2289 viewsleitrimblue

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 12:30 - Sep 11 by Keno

Am I right in thinking if they get independence from Scotland they retain a large proportion of the oil revenues?

And get to keep all the ponies?
Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 12:34 - Sep 11 with 2286 viewsKeno

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 12:33 - Sep 11 by leitrimblue

And get to keep all the ponies?

and the sheepdogs

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 12:57 - Sep 11 with 2250 viewsWeWereZombies

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 12:30 - Sep 11 by Keno

Well, possibly, if they can then stay independent of Norway.

Seriously, this is a council vote and not the all Shetlanders. And it is just a vote to explore, i.e. their budget has been cut and they are putting an argument in place to either restore it or stop being cut further. Having met a few Shetlanders I think they know which side their bread is buttered on...but they would never let you into that secret.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 13:38 - Sep 11 with 2182 viewsMonkeyAlan

I wish Nicola Sturgeon would claim independence for herself from the rest of Britain. Do us all a favour.
Login to get fewer ads

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 13:41 - Sep 11 with 2175 viewshampstead_blue

it might even ruffle that hair of her's!

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 14:08 - Sep 11 with 2141 viewsKeno

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 12:57 - Sep 11 by WeWereZombies

Well, possibly, if they can then stay independent of Norway.

Seriously, this is a council vote and not the all Shetlanders. And it is just a vote to explore, i.e. their budget has been cut and they are putting an argument in place to either restore it or stop being cut further. Having met a few Shetlanders I think they know which side their bread is buttered on...but they would never let you into that secret.

I suspected there is a considerable amount of posturing going on but it could be interesting to see how it plays out

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 14:21 - Sep 11 with 2123 viewsDarth_Koont

I'm sure that's uppermost in some minds.

Should be an interesting debate and raise a few valuable questions. In theory, the sort of civic nationalism that Scotland is talking about within the framework of the EU should be a system to ensure that regions and communities are intact and empowered. But with a much more centralised population than in most countries that's still going to be a challenge.

I think the answer is to make them autonomous areas like Spain and Portugal do with their far-flung islands.

Pronouns: He/Him

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 14:44 - Sep 11 with 2085 viewsKeno

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 14:21 - Sep 11 by Darth_Koont

I'm sure that's uppermost in some minds.

Should be an interesting debate and raise a few valuable questions. In theory, the sort of civic nationalism that Scotland is talking about within the framework of the EU should be a system to ensure that regions and communities are intact and empowered. But with a much more centralised population than in most countries that's still going to be a challenge.

I think the answer is to make them autonomous areas like Spain and Portugal do with their far-flung islands.

There are two issues there.

The Shetlands could look for Crown Dependency status to put them on the same standing as the Channel Islands which give a large degree of self government and on that basis they could be separate from Scotland

The issue particularly Spain has, and other EU countries, is that they have regions who what varying degrees of separation which the central government what to restrict.

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 14:58 - Sep 11 with 2062 viewsGuthrum

Didn't even become part of Scotland until the 1470s. Belonged to Norway before that.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 15:04 - Sep 11 with 2048 viewsjaykay

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 13:38 - Sep 11 by MonkeyAlan

I wish Nicola Sturgeon would claim independence for herself from the rest of Britain. Do us all a favour.

she's a decent egg really

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 15:06 - Sep 11 with 2050 viewsKeno

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 14:58 - Sep 11 by Guthrum

Didn't even become part of Scotland until the 1470s. Belonged to Norway before that.

Lerwick is nearly 200 miles nearer Oslo than London (with London being 600 as the crow flies)

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 15:47 - Sep 11 with 2007 viewsMonkeyAlan

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 15:04 - Sep 11 by jaykay

she's a decent egg really

That's plagerisn!
Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 17:30 - Sep 11 with 1946 viewsRyorry

If you ever visit the Shetland Isles and want to get out alive, don't ever refer to them as "the Shetlands" Same goes for the Orkney Isles (or the County of Orkney) - *not* "the Orkneys"

Their riposte to Londoners used to be "and how's life in the Londons these days?"

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 21:36 - Sep 11 with 1830 viewsJ2BLUE

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 17:30 - Sep 11 by Ryorry

If you ever visit the Shetland Isles and want to get out alive, don't ever refer to them as "the Shetlands" Same goes for the Orkney Isles (or the County of Orkney) - *not* "the Orkneys"

Their riposte to Londoners used to be "and how's life in the Londons these days?"

Maybe they misunderstood the Shetlands...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 21:46 - Sep 11 with 1818 viewsRyorry

Hahaha!! Shetland Islands want to have independence from Scotland vote on 21:36 - Sep 11 by J2BLUE

Maybe they misunderstood the Shetlands...

Potential new chat-up line - "The Shetlands don't understand me"

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024