Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night 09:24 - Oct 3 with 2227 viewsBrixtonBlue

Didn't know it was a musical and they're normally something I'd avoid... but OMG... it is absolutely incredible.

I didn't even realise it was the play just filmed, rather than a regular movie. But once I got over that I was blown away.

Firstly, I'm shocked that I'd never heard of Alexander Hamilton, particularly as I have an A-Level in History, but it was a fascinating story. What made it great, though, was the music/lyrics. Kind of like a cross between Eminem and Plan B, it wasn't anything like how I understand musicals. How on earth the cast remember so many quickfire lyrics, along with the dance moves and acting, plus with a few of them playing several roles, was just mindboggling.

We were utterly hooked for the entire 2 hrs 40 mins and by the end the missus had tears streaming down her face and even I had a solitary tear trickling down my left cheek. And I never cry at stuff.

It's also very funny in places too. And very very cleverly done with all the set changes, moving stage, interplaying words and music, much of it at 100mph. Breathtaking.

I found out afterwards the lead actor also wrote the whole thing. Genius. Pure and simple.

I would recommend Hamilton to everyone and would love to see it in a theatre now if it's that incredible on TV. I'm not surprised it's sold out and tickets go for more than £100. Worth every penny I'd say.

If you don't have Disney+ then find another way to get it. A must see.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 09:29 - Oct 3 with 1259 viewsBarneycurley

Tricked lol

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 09:35 - Oct 3 with 1243 viewsBrixtonBlue

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 09:29 - Oct 3 by Barneycurley

Tricked lol

Why is that funny?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 09:46 - Oct 3 with 1228 viewsBlueBadger

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 09:35 - Oct 3 by BrixtonBlue

Why is that funny?

Perhaps it's a slang term for a willy or something?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 09:49 - Oct 3 with 1222 viewsPhilTWTD

Were you told it was a play about motor racing?
I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 09:53 - Oct 3 with 1206 viewsBarneycurley

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 09:49 - Oct 3 by PhilTWTD

Woke Motor racing - he went all in after that

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 09:54 - Oct 3 with 1202 viewsGeoffSentence

Highlights reel of some ot Town's goals from th 1970s

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:14 - Oct 3 with 1164 viewsmanchego

I'm curious about claims of "hip hop - rap musical".
I've had to play a load of those songs for singers at my place and I've seen nothing resembling a rap.
A load of fairly standard show songs certainly
The beats / rhythms are pretty standard as well. ( judging by the tunes I have had to play )

How much rapping / hip hop is there ?
I could listen to the whole thing I suppose but I'm not inclined to.
I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:17 - Oct 3 with 1153 viewsHerbivore

I cannot abide musicals. My partner is more tolerant of them and she watched half and didn't like it so I think I'm going to give it a hard pass.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:24 - Oct 3 with 1140 viewsBlueBadger

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 09:53 - Oct 3 by Barneycurley

Woke Motor racing - he went all in after that

Are you sure you wouldn't be happier helping Paz defend a bigoted billionaire sociopath in the other thread rather than this one?
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 11:35]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:30 - Oct 3 with 1118 viewsBarneycurley

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:24 - Oct 3 by BlueBadger

Are you sure you wouldn't be happier helping Paz defend a bigoted billionaire sociopath in the other thread rather than this one?
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 11:35]

You're busy!

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:33 - Oct 3 with 1115 viewsBlueBadger

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:30 - Oct 3 by Barneycurley

You're busy!

He needs someone to tag in for him, now he's run away crying because for some reason people are finding it difficult to have any sympathies for Trumpy-wumpy.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 10:35]

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:37 - Oct 3 with 1100 viewsBarneycurley

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:33 - Oct 3 by BlueBadger

He needs someone to tag in for him, now he's run away crying because for some reason people are finding it difficult to have any sympathies for Trumpy-wumpy.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 10:35]

Id love to help the poor soul out but there's no sympathy from me either

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:41 - Oct 3 with 1097 viewsvapour_trail

Dollers, this is an absolute classic:

Firstly, I'm shocked that I'd never heard of Alexander Hamilton, particularly as I have an A-Level in History

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:42 - Oct 3 with 1082 viewsBrixtonBlue

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:17 - Oct 3 by Herbivore

I cannot abide musicals. My partner is more tolerant of them and she watched half and didn't like it so I think I'm going to give it a hard pass.

I can't abide them either. Genuinely, you're missing out.

I'm utterly stunned anyone can watch half and not like it. Not just because it's utterly brilliant, but if you really don't like it why would you watch for more than an hour?

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:45 - Oct 3 with 1080 viewsBrixtonBlue

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:41 - Oct 3 by vapour_trail

Firstly, I'm shocked that I'd never heard of Alexander Hamilton, particularly as I have an A-Level in History

Why? I'm being totally upfront, it's astonishing I hadn't heard of him.

Then again I didn't study American history.

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:47 - Oct 3 with 1067 viewsBlueBadger

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:42 - Oct 3 by BrixtonBlue

I can't abide them either. Genuinely, you're missing out.

I'm utterly stunned anyone can watch half and not like it. Not just because it's utterly brilliant, but if you really don't like it why would you watch for more than an hour?

I'm in the same boat as you Dollers, can't stand 'em normally. Another one to check out is 'Hadestown'.

Written by alt-folkie Anais Mitchell, it's the story of Orpheus and Eurydice relocated to a vaguely depression-era US small town.

Currently, you can only find the soundtrack online, but it's well worth a listen, as is the original album that spawned it.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/4/22/18508067/hadestown-review-broadway-anais-m

[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 11:02]

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:49 - Oct 3 with 1064 viewsLankHenners

If you didn't know the story of Hamilton before watching the musical (which sucks), then you don't really know much more about it after watching it.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 11:14 - Oct 3 with 1011 viewsvapour_trail

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:45 - Oct 3 by BrixtonBlue

Why? I'm being totally upfront, it's astonishing I hadn't heard of him.

Then again I didn't study American history.

I too have an a level in history from the 1980s. There’ll be plenty more historical notable figures we’ve not come across though.

Glad you enjoyed it. I despise musicals so will be giving it a swerve. My missus is away with the girls this weekend, so I’m planning to put the Wu Tang docu I’ve been meaning to watch for ages on tonight.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 11:16 - Oct 3 with 1005 viewsSteve_M

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 10:41 - Oct 3 by vapour_trail

Well, that and about three years of hype about the musical too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 11:16 - Oct 3 with 1001 viewsPendejo

I thought the post was about a Scottish football team and their 3-2 defeat at Hibs last night.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 11:21 - Oct 3 with 988 viewsBlueBadger

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 11:14 - Oct 3 by vapour_trail

I too have an a level in history from the 1980s. There’ll be plenty more historical notable figures we’ve not come across though.

Glad you enjoyed it. I despise musicals so will be giving it a swerve. My missus is away with the girls this weekend, so I’m planning to put the Wu Tang docu I’ve been meaning to watch for ages on tonight.

Oooh, what's that on? That'll give me something to look forward to when I'm done slogging through this essay.

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 11:22 - Oct 3 with 986 viewsPendejo

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 11:14 - Oct 3 by vapour_trail

If she finds out you'd better protect yo neck or you'll be in the gravel pit
[Post edited 3 Oct 2020 11:22]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 11:22 - Oct 3 with 989 viewsJohnny_Boy

“I'm being totally upfront, it's astonishing I hadn't heard of him. Then again I didn't study American history.“

😂
I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 11:25 - Oct 3 with 978 viewsBrixtonBlue

Sounds like I'm a bit older than you as I did my A-Levels in the 90's. But regardless, I found it astonishing I hadn't even heard of such an important figure.

It's funny to me seeing you and Herbs both saying you hate musicals so will be swerving it, as I would've been the same as you had the missus not tricked me into watching it (by failing to mention it's a musical). She said it was supposed to be really good - so good our mate has been to see it 8 times in the theatre. So I thought, ok I'll give it a go. The missus also agreed to watch something I want to watch tonight, so once I said yes I was locked in!

I'm as stunned as anyone that I enjoyed it. I guess the lesson is to put ones prejudices to one side. I appreciate that probably won't be enough for you guys.

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 11:28 - Oct 3 with 966 viewsBrixtonBlue

I was tricked into watching Hamilton last night on 11:16 - Oct 3 by Steve_M

Well, that and about three years of hype about the musical too.

As someone with no interest in musicals, why would I notice any hype in them?

I was aware of the title, and that it was on in a theatre in the West End. That's it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024