Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WFH till the Spring then 20:35 - Nov 23 with 1278 viewsDubtractor

No real surprise, but a tiny bit depressing nevertheless.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

WFH till the Spring then on 20:52 - Nov 23 with 1229 viewsmonytowbray

What don't you enjoy about it? I love it personally, freelancing though so I have the freedom to do whatever I like.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

WFH till the Spring then on 21:00 - Nov 23 with 1224 viewsDubtractor

WFH till the Spring then on 20:52 - Nov 23 by monytowbray

What don't you enjoy about it? I love it personally, freelancing though so I have the freedom to do whatever I like.

There are a few good elements, but being cooped up at home all day, no normal interaction with other humans, wall to wall Teams calls, death by fooking relentless e-mail.........

As an example, tomorrow I have Teams video calls from 8:30 through till 5pm, with just a 30 minute window at lunch time. If I was in the office half of these meetings wouldn't be happening - and those that did wouldn't involve staring at people through a sodding screen.

I'd be fine with doing it a couple of days a week, but I'm pretty fed up with it being the default setting.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 21:04]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

WFH till the Spring then on 21:06 - Nov 23 with 1199 viewsSpruceMoose

WFH till the Spring then on 21:00 - Nov 23 by Dubtractor

There are a few good elements, but being cooped up at home all day, no normal interaction with other humans, wall to wall Teams calls, death by fooking relentless e-mail.........

As an example, tomorrow I have Teams video calls from 8:30 through till 5pm, with just a 30 minute window at lunch time. If I was in the office half of these meetings wouldn't be happening - and those that did wouldn't involve staring at people through a sodding screen.

I'd be fine with doing it a couple of days a week, but I'm pretty fed up with it being the default setting.

Whoever set that up needs a slap.

Absurd.

WFH has really exposed how little several middle managers at my work actually do. Like you say, to compensate for that, and to appear to be doing something, anything, they fall back on pointless meeting after pointless meeting.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 21:08]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

WFH till the Spring then on 21:23 - Nov 23 with 1157 viewsSarge

And hopefully long after that too. If bosses somehow forget how eminently doable working from home is and mandate a return to the office then I’ll go find myself a new career. I get so much more done around the house in addition to work, can prepare way better meals and not have to get up at stupid o’clock to sit in traffic all morning.

Love it, love it all.

Edit: although fortunately I’m left alone to my own devices with nobody to report to and no worthless Teams meetings so that does help quite a bit. I have a picture of me staring into a camera looking attentive that I just use as a background and turn my camera and mic off if the meeting is that tedious.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 21:30]
WFH till the Spring then on 21:25 - Nov 23 with 1142 viewsSpruceMoose

WFH till the Spring then on 21:23 - Nov 23 by Sarge

And hopefully long after that too. If bosses somehow forget how eminently doable working from home is and mandate a return to the office then I’ll go find myself a new career. I get so much more done around the house in addition to work, can prepare way better meals and not have to get up at stupid o’clock to sit in traffic all morning.

Love it, love it all.

Edit: although fortunately I’m left alone to my own devices with nobody to report to and no worthless Teams meetings so that does help quite a bit. I have a picture of me staring into a camera looking attentive that I just use as a background and turn my camera and mic off if the meeting is that tedious.

I've enjoyed WFH too. But I can appreciate that the WFH experience must vary widely from job to job, employer to employer and circumstance to circumstance.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

WFH till the Spring then on 21:26 - Nov 23 with 1143 viewsAce_High1

WFH till the Spring then on 21:23 - Nov 23 by Sarge

Love it, love it all.

Does not work for everyone.

As an employer I can identify it works for some and maybe on a flexible basis for others but some have really got fatigued with it now and are now less productive than they otherwise would be.

Also as Dubbers says it is good for people's mental health to get up and out the house for work sometimes and to see colleagues in person for meetings/discussions.
WFH till the Spring then on 21:28 - Nov 23 with 1131 viewsmonytowbray

WFH till the Spring then on 21:00 - Nov 23 by Dubtractor

Most meetings are pointless face to face, even worse on a screen.

I guess I'm lucky I only work 2-3 days a week and most my clients are pretty chill in terms of communications.

I'd recommend using the downtime between screens to do chores, have a bath, have a joint, have a beer. Sit around in your pants all day. That can help break it up a bit.

I think the next evolution of WFH is everyone chooses their own hours. I don't really have set times, I just work when my brain is functioning and tend to mix intense hours of flat out concentration/productivity with dicking around on here and singing to my cats. Some days I start work at 10am, others 3pm. Sometimes I'm done by 2pm, other days I've been known to suddenly have a eureka moment at 2am and work until 4am.

That freedom is a privilege all humans deserve IMO, this 9-5 five days a week is toxic, I don't understand people who actually want to work. Like, why? If I won the lottery tomorrow I'd never work again unless it was a project I was keen on, but I meet people who say they'd carry on at their current job full time. It might sound judgemental but bloody hell, imagine not having any hobbies or interests to take up 40 hours a week?!

TWTD never forgets…

WFH till the Spring then on 21:31 - Nov 23 with 1108 viewsAce_High1

WFH till the Spring then on 21:28 - Nov 23 by monytowbray

I guess I'm lucky I only work 2-3 days a week and most my clients are pretty chill in terms of communications.

I'd recommend using the downtime between screens to do chores, have a bath, have a joint, have a beer. Sit around in your pants all day. That can help break it up a bit.

I think the next evolution of WFH is everyone chooses their own hours. I don't really have set times, I just work when my brain is functioning and tend to mix intense hours of flat out concentration/productivity with dicking around on here and singing to my cats. Some days I start work at 10am, others 3pm. Sometimes I'm done by 2pm, other days I've been known to suddenly have a eureka moment at 2am and work until 4am.

That freedom is a privilege all humans deserve IMO, this 9-5 five days a week is toxic, I don't understand people who actually want to work. Like, why? If I won the lottery tomorrow I'd never work again unless it was a project I was keen on, but I meet people who say they'd carry on at their current job full time. It might sound judgemental but bloody hell, imagine not having any hobbies or interests to take up 40 hours a week?!

Maybe some enjoy the challenge of growing a career and achieving something?

Motivation comes from within, I work for me my objectives and I am lucky I now own my own company but when I started out I was always working towards this goal, which required time and effort to get to where I wanted to be.

Even in future I will still work, sure I may be a little more flexible as I am able to be, but will still dedicate some of the week to work.
Login to get fewer ads

WFH till the Spring then on 22:01 - Nov 23 with 1001 viewsmonytowbray

WFH till the Spring then on 21:31 - Nov 23 by Ace_High1

Maybe some enjoy the challenge of growing a career and achieving something?

Motivation comes from within, I work for me my objectives and I am lucky I now own my own company but when I started out I was always working towards this goal, which required time and effort to get to where I wanted to be.

Even in future I will still work, sure I may be a little more flexible as I am able to be, but will still dedicate some of the week to work.

The only thing people should aim to grow work wise is the freedom of not having a boss. Most of them are utter sociopaths anyway.

I'd still do stuff that is work skill set involved, but I'd be more likely to give my time up free for causes I support or on a skills trade basis. I certainly wouldn't do work I dislike for the sake of paying the bills anymore.

And I say this as a freelancer who spent 8 years chasing the the carrots within the employment system. There's always a glass ceiling if someone is your boss and even if you don't hit it you'll never get high enough to not shovel sh1t for someone else with less skill but on more money.

I worked out in one of my last jobs I was paid around a 1/3 of the income I generated for the rest to go to a board of shareholders who were mostly invisible suits in boardrooms making piss poor choice after piss poor choice until the company died. None of them skilled in the industry overly, just venture capitalists hoovering up marketing firms. And in another previous job I was paid to basically not get listened to but then blamed when results went south due to not being listened to. Also owned by shareholders hoovering up businesses.

Sorry but you can't pay me enough to put up with that crap now, I value my happiness too much.

On the flip, wouldn't want to be an employer either. I think we'd all be happier freelancing and naming our prices via unionising than allowing suits to tell us what we're worth.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 22:04]

TWTD never forgets…

WFH till the Spring then on 22:28 - Nov 23 with 938 viewsDubtractor

WFH till the Spring then on 22:01 - Nov 23 by monytowbray

The only thing people should aim to grow work wise is the freedom of not having a boss. Most of them are utter sociopaths anyway.

I'd still do stuff that is work skill set involved, but I'd be more likely to give my time up free for causes I support or on a skills trade basis. I certainly wouldn't do work I dislike for the sake of paying the bills anymore.

And I say this as a freelancer who spent 8 years chasing the the carrots within the employment system. There's always a glass ceiling if someone is your boss and even if you don't hit it you'll never get high enough to not shovel sh1t for someone else with less skill but on more money.

I worked out in one of my last jobs I was paid around a 1/3 of the income I generated for the rest to go to a board of shareholders who were mostly invisible suits in boardrooms making piss poor choice after piss poor choice until the company died. None of them skilled in the industry overly, just venture capitalists hoovering up marketing firms. And in another previous job I was paid to basically not get listened to but then blamed when results went south due to not being listened to. Also owned by shareholders hoovering up businesses.

Sorry but you can't pay me enough to put up with that crap now, I value my happiness too much.

On the flip, wouldn't want to be an employer either. I think we'd all be happier freelancing and naming our prices via unionising than allowing suits to tell us what we're worth.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 22:04]

TBH, I think you've probably got a bit of a skewed view of what work and a workplace can be.

WFH till the Spring then on 22:40 - Nov 23 with 914 viewsmonytowbray

WFH till the Spring then on 22:28 - Nov 23 by Dubtractor

TBH, I think you've probably got a bit of a skewed view of what work and a workplace can be.

I’ve had good jobs too, but man, this freelancing life is the dream.

TWTD never forgets…

WFH till the Spring then on 23:06 - Nov 23 with 876 viewswoiii

WFH till the Spring then on 21:28 - Nov 23 by monytowbray

This should definitely be the first page of your resume
WFH till the Spring then on 23:59 - Nov 23 with 804 viewsTrequartista

If that's the first day of Spring (March 20) that's not too far away. Would be quite apt if we got back to some normality on March 23 (1 year on from the first lockdown)

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

WFH till the Spring then on 01:19 - Nov 24 with 770 viewsmonytowbray

WFH till the Spring then on 23:06 - Nov 23 by woiii

This should definitely be the first page of your resume

Yeah, I’ll give it to myself and then give myself the job.

🤷‍♂️

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024