Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Proud of being a Town fan? 08:25 - Dec 11 with 929 viewsGeoffSentence

There was a time when being a Town fan was something to be proud of. Others would admire the way the club performed and they way it was run. I have been trying to recall when the last time that I could honestly say that I felt proud to be a Town fan. It's been a long time, probably some time just before Magilton was sacked by text whilst visiting his sick father.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Proud of being a Town fan? on 08:28 - Dec 11 with 915 viewsMetal_Hacker

I've had the exact same thought now for far too long. I honestly can't remember the last time I had something to be proud about supporting this football club

Problem being and like we all know , you can't change the football club you support and after investing the best part of 40+ years supporting this once great club it breaks my heart to see where we are today but more importantly where we're heading

Poll: If it were one or the other

Proud of being a Town fan? on 08:38 - Dec 11 with 882 viewsGeoffSentence

Proud of being a Town fan? on 08:28 - Dec 11 by Metal_Hacker

I've had the exact same thought now for far too long. I honestly can't remember the last time I had something to be proud about supporting this football club

Problem being and like we all know , you can't change the football club you support and after investing the best part of 40+ years supporting this once great club it breaks my heart to see where we are today but more importantly where we're heading

Yep, there used to be a lot to be proud of. On the pitch we were a small town club punching well above it's weight in both English and European football, playing good attacking football. Off the pitch our relatively meagre resources were always managed well, youngsters were developed, the links with the community were good. The board were fans and would mix with other fans. PR could generate a good atmosphere but the fans were well behaved. Anti-racism was probably ahead of the curve here too with 'Ipswich lives in racial harmony'.

All that took a bit of a knock with administration, but that was a combination of circumstances that led to it, all three relegated clubs were hit with it that year. But I think much of the spirit of Ipswich recovered in the first few years in the championship, fighting to get back up. But every year since ME took over a little bit of what made our club our club has been chipped away.

Proud of being a Town fan? on 08:51 - Dec 11 with 853 viewsUB9Blue

Proud of being a Town fan? on 08:38 - Dec 11 by GeoffSentence

Yep, there used to be a lot to be proud of. On the pitch we were a small town club punching well above it's weight in both English and European football, playing good attacking football. Off the pitch our relatively meagre resources were always managed well, youngsters were developed, the links with the community were good. The board were fans and would mix with other fans. PR could generate a good atmosphere but the fans were well behaved. Anti-racism was probably ahead of the curve here too with 'Ipswich lives in racial harmony'.

All that took a bit of a knock with administration, but that was a combination of circumstances that led to it, all three relegated clubs were hit with it that year. But I think much of the spirit of Ipswich recovered in the first few years in the championship, fighting to get back up. But every year since ME took over a little bit of what made our club our club has been chipped away.

Where I live in Middlesex I still get great comments about Town but usually from 50+ blokes who remember the Sir Bobby days. Most of the youngsters have never heard of us let alone know our history.
Proud of being a Town fan? on 08:58 - Dec 11 with 834 viewsthebooks

Proud of being a Town fan? on 08:38 - Dec 11 by GeoffSentence

It’d help if the club didn’t hold the fans in contempt.

I dunno. I just feel we are partly to blame, but not in the way our glorious owner thinks.

We’ve just accepted mediocrity for too long. Not only on the pitch, but in what the club means to the town. There’s been barely a whimper until Blue Action recently.
Proud of being a Town fan? on 09:01 - Dec 11 with 812 viewshaynes_toe1

I think you should always be proud of supporting your club. Regardless of what it's achieved or not, it's your club, your community, a part of you.
Proud of being a Town fan? on 09:37 - Dec 11 with 756 viewsMonkeyAlan

Back in the day. I loved being a Town fan. Wore my scarf with pride. It was great. I'm lucky. I remember the hey day of Bobby. I was only a kid, but it felt brilliant. Then through the Lyall years and Burley years, even BFJ was good. Since then, only briefly under MM. It's been a slow decline. Now it just feels like we have been swallowed up. It makes me wince everytime l hear us mentioned alongside the likes of Burton, Fleetwood and Accrington. Not only that, but losing regularly to the likes of them. Evans hang your head in shame.
Proud of being a Town fan? on 09:39 - Dec 11 with 751 viewsMookamoo

I remember back in the olden days we were never a sacking club. Its unfortunate football has become so toxic - perhaps coinciding with the Premier League. The fans have to take their share of the blame in turning us into what we see today.

The club does do a lot behind the scenes. I've been part of a few community projects that have had support and time/resources given, without the club making a song and dance about it.
Proud of being a Town fan? on 10:00 - Dec 11 with 714 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

It's now become more individual snippets of pride - mostly nothing to do with what is happening on the pitch.

The Billy Kee banner, for an example.
Login to get fewer ads

Proud of being a Town fan? on 10:01 - Dec 11 with 712 viewsSwailsey

Play-off season under Mick, Hunt's last minute winner against Charlton and Brentford boxing day for me.

That and the Billy Sharp applause.

*edit* And the Billy Kee banner.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2020 10:02]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Proud of being a Town fan? on 10:11 - Dec 11 with 693 viewsPJH

I will always be proud of our history and also proud of witnessing all of the 'big' ones.

There were occasions in 2017/18 and occasionally before when I was ashamed to be associated with some people that called themselves Town fans and I will never forget that.

We are no longer a significant football club in the eyes of most of the football world but the fact that we were once(and for quite a period of time)makes me happy.
Proud of being a Town fan? on 10:32 - Dec 11 with 669 viewsSouperJim

I know this won't go down well with some and is a bone of contention for obvious reasons, but the sea of noise and colour from the north stand in the face of relegation made me proud to be a Town fan. Nae normal.

I feel those who think this was "celebrating relegation" or saying we should have been booing and protesting instead, kind of miss the point. For me it was a show of utter defiance as fans, we will not go quietly into the night type stuff. Our hearts may be broken but we are still here shouting how much we love this football club, in spite of everything we've had to put up with.

That's not to say we shouldn't feel royally cheesed off at the moment however and be making our voices heard to this effect.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Proud of being a Town fan? on 10:35 - Dec 11 with 664 viewsKeno

going back about 20 years I had to attend the Brighton & Hove Albion end of season dinner, for which as my protest I worn my Ipswich tie.

Towards the end of the evening Dick Knight (the then Brighton Chairman and a man I hold in very regard) come to speak to me as. in his words' I noticed who you support and thats the club I'd like Brighton to become'

I doubt anyone would sa that now

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Proud of being a Town fan? on 10:42 - Dec 11 with 651 viewsWalkyWonderland

Probably 97-01. That was my era really. Despite multiple play-off failures we had a team and a manager to be proud of. Those 2 seasons with play-off victory then 5th place in the prem were the stuff dreams are made of. Never to be seen again. I have a lot of sympathy for those younger supporters who have known nothing but this long period of decline.
Proud of being a Town fan? on 11:16 - Dec 11 with 610 viewsGeoffSentence

Proud of being a Town fan? on 10:00 - Dec 11 by DropCliffsNotBombs

It's now become more individual snippets of pride - mostly nothing to do with what is happening on the pitch.

The Billy Kee banner, for an example.

Thanks for the reminder, the Billy Kee banner was something good. That the best thing from the last few years came from a group of supporters is a positive thing, but it is a shame the club itself rarely produces those moments any more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024