Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bitcoin idiot #2 13:24 - Jan 14 with 1216 viewsfactual_blue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55658942

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Bitcoin idiot #2 on 13:29 - Jan 14 with 1186 viewsTJS

Would that be giving everyone in Newport a few hundred in actual pounds or a 'few hundred' in bitcoins ?
Bitcoin idiot #2 on 13:48 - Jan 14 with 1138 viewsfactual_blue

Bitcoin idiot #2 on 13:29 - Jan 14 by TJS

Would that be giving everyone in Newport a few hundred in actual pounds or a 'few hundred' in bitcoins ?

I would imagine so.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Bitcoin idiot #2 on 13:51 - Jan 14 with 1127 viewssnudge27

He seems, also, to be ignoring the disconnect between the notional value of cryptocurrency, and what he might be able to sell it for in the marketplace.

Am I right in thinking that very few legitimate businesses will accept Bitcoin as a means of payment so, unless he's wanting to buy drugs, hookers, and hitmen, he's going to be bang out of luck?

Poll: Who is the best Lord?

Bitcoin idiot #2 on 13:56 - Jan 14 with 1105 viewsjeera

Bitcoin idiot #2 on 13:51 - Jan 14 by snudge27

He seems, also, to be ignoring the disconnect between the notional value of cryptocurrency, and what he might be able to sell it for in the marketplace.

Am I right in thinking that very few legitimate businesses will accept Bitcoin as a means of payment so, unless he's wanting to buy drugs, hookers, and hitmen, he's going to be bang out of luck?

"buy drugs, hookers, and hitmen."

I can't be the only one struggling to see a problem here.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Bitcoin idiot #2 on 13:58 - Jan 14 with 1098 viewshomer_123

Bitcoin idiot #2 on 13:56 - Jan 14 by jeera

Trade it for ingame GTA currency?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Bitcoin idiot #2 on 13:59 - Jan 14 with 1093 viewsjeera

Bitcoin idiot #2 on 13:58 - Jan 14 by homer_123

Trade it for ingame GTA currency?

You know, every time you people use these abbreviations, people like me have to look them up!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Bitcoin idiot #2 on 14:02 - Jan 14 with 1088 viewsbluelagos

Bitcoin idiot #2 on 13:56 - Jan 14 by jeera

You know what say "If you haven't snorted cocaine off the arse cheeks of a Brazilian crack whore..."

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Bitcoin idiot #2 on 14:05 - Jan 14 with 1083 viewsfooters

Bitcoin idiot #2 on 13:51 - Jan 14 by snudge27

Mainstream adoption has always been the problem with crypto as a whole. As we saw with Ripple recently, they had been touting that a Mexican bank would finally be adopting it as an inter-bank transfer model, thus disposing the need for clearing houses.

There are quite a few retail places (mainly in Scandinavia and Asia) that do accept a varity of cryptos though.

Incidentally, I was chatting with a friend of mine who is in the markets the other day. Someone he knows has $2.9bn in BTC that is in 'cold storage' ie not on the blockchain so can't be readily sold. He is entertaining clients face-to-face at a hotel in Malta. You must bring your lawyer and a minimum of $200k and you'll receive a flash drive with your off-chain BTC on. What a world we live in, eh.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Bitcoin idiot #2 on 14:19 - Jan 14 with 1041 viewsStokieBlue

Bitcoin idiot #2 on 14:05 - Jan 14 by footers

Mainstream adoption has always been the problem with crypto as a whole. As we saw with Ripple recently, they had been touting that a Mexican bank would finally be adopting it as an inter-bank transfer model, thus disposing the need for clearing houses.

There are quite a few retail places (mainly in Scandinavia and Asia) that do accept a varity of cryptos though.

Incidentally, I was chatting with a friend of mine who is in the markets the other day. Someone he knows has $2.9bn in BTC that is in 'cold storage' ie not on the blockchain so can't be readily sold. He is entertaining clients face-to-face at a hotel in Malta. You must bring your lawyer and a minimum of $200k and you'll receive a flash drive with your off-chain BTC on. What a world we live in, eh.

Bitcoin isn't even very good technology, it's totally unscalable in it's present form and there is a finite amount of available coins (about 25% are already thought to be lost). Things are being done to address scalability but not very quickly.

I also see that most UK banks (except HSBC) won't accept deposits from crypto exchanges so going to be tricky for some to get their money out as it stands. There are of course always ways I am sure.

It's a speculation instrument at the moment. Some would say a hedge against the real world markets but that's debatable. Given this some people will need to try and get their money out at some point.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Bitcoin idiot #2 on 14:43 - Jan 14 with 981 viewsNthQldITFC

Bitcoin idiot #2 on 13:59 - Jan 14 by jeera

You know, every time you people use these abbreviations, people like me have to look them up!

WTF - it's an extremely well-known TLA, FFS!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024