Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week 08:03 - Mar 5 with 1169 viewsDarth_Koont

Would be interesting if he has identified a specific team weakness.

My amateur opinion would say that it’s a lack of tempo. Doesn’t mean we have to play at a million miles an hour all game – we can slow it down and pass it around just to slow the game and any pressure/momentum from the opposition. But when we attack we need to put the defence on the back foot a lot more and we haven’t done that by playing the ball around in front of them or tying ourselves up in triangles tight to the touchline.

Second place would be our habit/Lambert’s tactic of leaving the central attacker isolated with the other forwards staying wide and our central midfielders too deep. But hopefully with Norwood and Parrott both key players in recent weeks that won’t even be an issue.

Pronouns: He/Him

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:28 - Mar 5 with 1092 viewsOsborneOneNil

Yeah I reckon we’ll have a higher intensity to our game, better tempo, more front foot.
I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:32 - Mar 5 with 1071 viewsCheltenham_Blue

On Tape? I doubt it.

Cook got rid of his VHS player in 2004. Its all digital now. Get with the times grandad.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:42 - Mar 5 with 1003 viewsdavblue

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:28 - Mar 5 by OsborneOneNil

Yeah I reckon we’ll have a higher intensity to our game, better tempo, more front foot.

Think we might be a bit looser, less robotic going forward.
I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:43 - Mar 5 with 1002 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

From listening to the Blue Monday pod with Pompey and Wigan fans, his way of playing seems similar to what Lambert was trying earlier in the season.

...the difference hopefully will be that the players are better coached and instructed and will be able to execute the plan properly.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:44 - Mar 5 with 988 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:32 - Mar 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

On Tape? I doubt it.

Cook got rid of his VHS player in 2004. Its all digital now. Get with the times grandad.

My thought entirely ... "on tape"? And MM was described as a dinosaur!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:48 - Mar 5 with 967 viewsDarth_Koont

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:43 - Mar 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

From listening to the Blue Monday pod with Pompey and Wigan fans, his way of playing seems similar to what Lambert was trying earlier in the season.

...the difference hopefully will be that the players are better coached and instructed and will be able to execute the plan properly.

Serious question: what was Lambert trying to do earlier in the season?

Not saying it didn’t happen but I can’t remember anything in particular and that’s probably just me shutting down my brain in protest.

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:51 - Mar 5 with 949 viewsKeno

The main weakness has been identified and rectified

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:55 - Mar 5 with 927 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:48 - Mar 5 by Darth_Koont

Not saying it didn’t happen but I can’t remember anything in particular and that’s probably just me shutting down my brain in protest.

Fair question, but I was meaning passing it out from the back and passing through the thirds.

Although with PL it didn't get through the thirds.

Also similar formations.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:56 - Mar 5 with 905 viewsDarth_Koont

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:44 - Mar 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

My thought entirely ... "on tape"? And MM was described as a dinosaur!

It’s an expression, you ant-fückers! 😀

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:56 - Mar 5 with 908 viewsSteve_M

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:48 - Mar 5 by Darth_Koont

First six weeks, it was a fairly fluid 4-3-3/4-5-1. Dozzell had a lot of space and Bishop, Edwards and Nolan were all in good form. We got a lot of players on the box and created chances. A bit too much playing it out from the back - watching Nsiala, Wilson and Holy tapping it around wasn't good for the nerves.

October, became a bit more staid but still ok against weaker teams. Lincoln was probably more telling in that we attacked so slowly. And then we kept trying to do the same thing, only even more slowly, without players getting into the penalty area and much goal threat.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 09:00 - Mar 5 with 880 viewsDarth_Koont

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:55 - Mar 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

Fair question, but I was meaning passing it out from the back and passing through the thirds.

Although with PL it didn't get through the thirds.

Also similar formations.

Ah OK. Yes, I associated that more with slowing the tempo down.

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 09:31 - Mar 5 with 794 viewsDarth_Koont

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 08:56 - Mar 5 by Steve_M

First six weeks, it was a fairly fluid 4-3-3/4-5-1. Dozzell had a lot of space and Bishop, Edwards and Nolan were all in good form. We got a lot of players on the box and created chances. A bit too much playing it out from the back - watching Nsiala, Wilson and Holy tapping it around wasn't good for the nerves.

October, became a bit more staid but still ok against weaker teams. Lincoln was probably more telling in that we attacked so slowly. And then we kept trying to do the same thing, only even more slowly, without players getting into the penalty area and much goal threat.

Hopefully boosting confidence will help players here and maybe why we started seasons well under Lambert and then just tailed off. I think low tempo is often down to just becoming a fraction more hesitant and unsure, then the problem snowballs.

That was the best thing about the Webster interview for me. When he said that Cook is an excellent man-manager. At the level we and our players are at, that ability seems a massive shortcut in getting us towards where we need to be.

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 10:03 - Mar 5 with 702 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Things that we need to improve.

In possession: more tempo, especially in counter-attacking; taking on and committing opponents, seeking the one v one opportunities; shooting from around the box; getting the central midfielders and RB further up the pitch; GK distribution; Bennets needs to markedly increase the number of stepovers per possession, and never entertain the thought of passing the ball.

Out of possession: higher pressing, but only as a team unit; playing a higher line; Dozy's tackling; tighter marking, especially in midfield.

General: learn to be streetwise in certain situations; playing the ref (argh!); improve the confidence levels of certain players, but also the team as a whole.
I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 10:08 - Mar 5 with 676 viewsSteve_M

I expect Cook has watched a lot of our games on tape over the past week on 09:31 - Mar 5 by Darth_Koont

Hopefully boosting confidence will help players here and maybe why we started seasons well under Lambert and then just tailed off. I think low tempo is often down to just becoming a fraction more hesitant and unsure, then the problem snowballs.

That was the best thing about the Webster interview for me. When he said that Cook is an excellent man-manager. At the level we and our players are at, that ability seems a massive shortcut in getting us towards where we need to be.

Yes, agreed on the man management point. Lambert's initial enthusiasm clearly didn't last long and we've underachieved as a team for long periods of time even since relegation (Nov-Dec 2019, Feb & Mar 20, Nov-Jan this season) even allowing for injuries weakening the squad - Edwards, Bishop, Norwood in particular.

I still think Evans waited too long and wasted this season, a change in November or December and we would probably still have a decent chance of automatic promotion.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024