Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Two seasons back, on Boxing Day 16:34 - Apr 13 with 795 viewsBobbychase

I was with my usual fairweather crowd who only tend to come to the Dec 26th game. One of them fancied a coffee so even though it was hammering it down, we went to the trendy-looking coffee van in the fanzone. Kick-off was approaching.

There were only two people ahead of us so we didn't expect to get too wet, but it took forever to get served. A long line formed behind us, and the rain got heavier.

In the coffee van were three people. Two were on their phones and chatting and seemingly oblivious to the growing line of customers, one was taking the money and making the drinks as well. One of the lads I was with lives and works in London and tends to expect speedier service. By the time we got to the front of the queue, by now freezing, wet and in danger of missing kick-off, steam was coming out of his ears.

I'm sure we all have multiple tales like this, from not being able to get a pint at half time, to the catering units constantly running out of hot food and, although I think this might be less of an issue these days, the apathetic staff in the club shop on a non-matchday.

I really hope the combination of Ashton and the new owners revamps the gameday experience. Yeah Suffolk is a bit of a sleepy place, but that's no excuse.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 16:45 - Apr 13 with 732 viewshype313

I agree, the matchday experience has been abject at best in recent times, I get that they tried to change things and look at putting things on eg Fanzone but it just all seemed half hearted and limp, pretty much sums up the Evans tenure.

There is a huge opportunity to tap into on gameday, something I'm sure Ashton will look to capitlise on.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 16:49 - Apr 13 with 717 viewsRegencyBlue

I don’t get the impression this guy takes many prisoners, on or off the pitch.

I think anyone at the club who thinks things are going to just carry on as before is in for a rude awakening!
Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 16:54 - Apr 13 with 690 viewsBobbychase

Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 16:45 - Apr 13 by hype313

I agree, the matchday experience has been abject at best in recent times, I get that they tried to change things and look at putting things on eg Fanzone but it just all seemed half hearted and limp, pretty much sums up the Evans tenure.

There is a huge opportunity to tap into on gameday, something I'm sure Ashton will look to capitlise on.

I think the fanzone is, in principle, a great idea. But it only works if you fill the space with enjoyable activities and decent catering.

Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 17:07 - Apr 13 with 645 viewsSteve_M

Indeed, the inability to maximise income from food and drink for what is a captive audience has just been incompetent.

Another example, when Muhren and Thijsen were signing copies of the Gamechangers book a few years back the bar in Churchmans (is that Legends?) was packed, but they closed at 6 and were desperate to kick everyone out. Another hour would have more than paid for itself.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 17:11 - Apr 13 with 629 viewshomer_123

Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 16:54 - Apr 13 by Bobbychase

I think the fanzone is, in principle, a great idea. But it only works if you fill the space with enjoyable activities and decent catering.

But to get fans to come, you've got to deliver on the pitch.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 17:14 - Apr 13 with 602 viewsFixed_It

Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 17:07 - Apr 13 by Steve_M

Indeed, the inability to maximise income from food and drink for what is a captive audience has just been incompetent.

Another example, when Muhren and Thijsen were signing copies of the Gamechangers book a few years back the bar in Churchmans (is that Legends?) was packed, but they closed at 6 and were desperate to kick everyone out. Another hour would have more than paid for itself.

Pre-pouring drinks, and even pre-paying, for half-time drinks like you do in the theatre. Double the revenue at least - and happy customers.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 17:23 - Apr 13 with 568 viewsSitfcB

The coffee van in the fanzone is nothing to do with the club though?

To be honest pre match you’re better off going to the stadium bars, hardly ever any queues and fully stocked!
[Post edited 13 Apr 2021 17:24]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 17:24 - Apr 13 with 559 viewsBobbychase

Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 17:07 - Apr 13 by Steve_M

And let's not forget the Easter Monday match from three seasons back when our own stewards tried to stop fans who had been on the pitch for that penalty competition getting back to their seats and Cole Skuse had to intervene.

It sometimes amazes me any of us return regularly.

Login to get fewer ads

Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 17:25 - Apr 13 with 556 viewsSteve_M

Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 17:14 - Apr 13 by Fixed_It

Pre-pouring drinks, and even pre-paying, for half-time drinks like you do in the theatre. Double the revenue at least - and happy customers.

Or maybe even contactless payments.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 17:26 - Apr 13 with 549 viewsFixed_It

Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 17:25 - Apr 13 by Steve_M

Maybe, just maybe, this pandemic will have taught them that such a thing exists!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 17:30 - Apr 13 with 520 viewsJakeITFC

Needing to change the barrel of the lager in the Upper North Stand bar at 3:45pm on the first day of the season a couple of years back a personal highlight.
Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 17:54 - Apr 13 with 444 viewshype313

Two seasons back, on Boxing Day on 17:25 - Apr 13 by Steve_M

I really wouldn't be surprised if the reason behind that was the cost for the PDQ machines.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024