Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Safe Standing 17:15 - May 18 with 1726 viewsStrimmer

Town are looking into it according to EADT https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/ipswich-town-consider-portman-road-saf

Fantastic, obviously (although I wouldn't be surprised if any of our glass-half-empty friends around here might disagree) but is this even currently legal? Or would it installed with a view to a future rule change?

Poll: Was it a punch?

Safe Standing on 17:16 - May 18 with 1711 viewsSitfcB

Yeah it was in the season ticket brochure.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Safe Standing on 17:33 - May 18 with 1594 viewsHighgateBlue

People are entitled to disagree with the idea of allowing standing at football matches without being accused of pessimism. Something is not safe merely because it has the word "safe" in its new-fangled name. There is scope for legitimate disagreement on this, as on most issues...
Safe Standing on 17:51 - May 18 with 1502 viewssouthnorfolkblue

I would imagine that it will be railed seating so the seats can be dropped into place. My understanding is that terraces are permitted at League 1 and below. I think that the Championship has allowed standing areas if clubs have committed to install seats in the future, although no doubt I will be corrected if that’s wrong.

Poll: Our final position

Safe Standing on 17:52 - May 18 with 1500 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yes, it's legal. The law requires that clubs in the top 2 divisions provide a seat for each spectator. There is no law about fans having to sit on them; rather that's an issue at club level. In L1 and L2 the law doesn't apply.

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/the-legalities-of-standing/#:~:text=In%20England%20an

So in L1 the club could rip the seats out altogether if they wanted, but obviously they will want to align to PL/championship regs due to the hope of promotion. 'Safe standing' would allow us to be future proof, as a seat is incorporated even if it's rarely/never used. It's a nonsensical law in that regard; why not just change the law to allow barriers only?

I think it's a good idea and would be fully supportive.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Safe Standing on 17:54 - May 18 with 1486 viewsFunge

This is a very good idea.

Most of the NSL stands anyway; this way you don't scrape your shins raw every time we score/ some prick referee disallows goals vs Wycombe.
Safe Standing on 17:55 - May 18 with 1478 viewsBryanPlug

Safe Standing on 17:33 - May 18 by HighgateBlue

People are entitled to disagree with the idea of allowing standing at football matches without being accused of pessimism. Something is not safe merely because it has the word "safe" in its new-fangled name. There is scope for legitimate disagreement on this, as on most issues...

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Safe Standing on 17:57 - May 18 with 1459 viewsHighgateBlue

Safe Standing on 17:55 - May 18 by BryanPlug

It's a little bit more complicated than that, otherwise it would have been lawful for years. Personally I can see the arguments either way and don't have a strong stance one way or the other, but I do think there's scope for a legitimate difference of opinion.
Safe Standing on 17:58 - May 18 with 1452 viewsTractorWood

Equally it's much safer and clearer for people in safe standing sections where people are just going to stand anyway like say the North Stand or the vast majority of away areas.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

Safe Standing on 18:01 - May 18 with 1405 viewsBryanPlug

Safe Standing on 17:57 - May 18 by HighgateBlue

It's a little bit more complicated than that, otherwise it would have been lawful for years. Personally I can see the arguments either way and don't have a strong stance one way or the other, but I do think there's scope for a legitimate difference of opinion.

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Safe Standing on 18:06 - May 18 with 1384 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

No downside to this at all.

Get it done.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Safe Standing on 18:07 - May 18 with 1381 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The main problem with standing back in the day was the cages that fans were kept in.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Safe Standing on 18:21 - May 18 with 1314 viewsSwansea_Blue

Safe Standing on 17:58 - May 18 by TractorWood

Equally it's much safer and clearer for people in safe standing sections where people are just going to stand anyway like say the North Stand or the vast majority of away areas.

It has to be safer than now. No risk of going over the seat in front of you for a start (which does happen from time to time). I quite like the idea of something to lean on too!

Now if only they came with beer holders so you could have a civilised pint rather than queuing up for 20 minutes during the 15 minute half time. Too many idiots getting absolutely hammered for that ever to happen though.

Safe Standing on 18:22 - May 18 with 1291 viewsSwansea_Blue

Safe Standing on 18:07 - May 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

The main problem with standing back in the day was the cages that fans were kept in.

And the occasional bars. You could get the feck squeezed out of you if there was a bit of a surge. And we're not talking Hillsborough levels of crowding - just normal crowds were bad enough at times.

Safe Standing on 18:24 - May 18 with 1271 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Safe Standing on 18:22 - May 18 by Swansea_Blue

And the occasional bars. You could get the feck squeezed out of you if there was a bit of a surge. And we're not talking Hillsborough levels of crowding - just normal crowds were bad enough at times.

Yes, but the modern system is a lot better.

Safe Standing on 18:47 - May 18 with 1176 viewsStrimmer

Safe Standing on 17:52 - May 18 by Swansea_Blue

Yes, it's legal. The law requires that clubs in the top 2 divisions provide a seat for each spectator. There is no law about fans having to sit on them; rather that's an issue at club level. In L1 and L2 the law doesn't apply.

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/the-legalities-of-standing/#:~:text=In%20England%20an

So in L1 the club could rip the seats out altogether if they wanted, but obviously they will want to align to PL/championship regs due to the hope of promotion. 'Safe standing' would allow us to be future proof, as a seat is incorporated even if it's rarely/never used. It's a nonsensical law in that regard; why not just change the law to allow barriers only?

Of course, thanks. I'll be honest, I forgot we were in League one briefly there. Spent all year looking at banks of terraces at away grounds on the iFollow and still didn't click lol

Poll: Was it a punch?

Safe Standing on 20:20 - May 18 with 1008 viewsTractorgirlforever

Safe Standing on 17:54 - May 18 by Funge

This is a very good idea.

Most of the NSL stands anyway; this way you don't scrape your shins raw every time we score/ some prick referee disallows goals vs Wycombe.

I ended up with broken ribs at burton albion when we scored!.. supporters behind me pushed forward and i was against the railing and was pushed into it, very painful ,but we scored...and won the game!. .it would have been concerning if it was a child stood where i was tho.
Safe Standing on 20:36 - May 18 with 971 viewsDanny_G

Safe Standing on 17:52 - May 18 by Swansea_Blue

I’m afraid that’s not quite true. Once you’ve been in the top two divisions for three seasons, you are required to be permanently all-seated. You can’t go back, even if the will is there.

That’s not to say we can’t install rail seating, but - with the law as it is - we can’t designate it as a standing area, even in League One. Hence the subtle difference between what Shrewsbury and, say, Spurs have done. Both have rail seating, but only Shrewsbury can legally call it a standing area; Spurs have to maintain the fiction that everyone there is required to sit down.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024