Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holland 88 - "Ipswich" Kit Question/Random fact 10:48 - Jul 22 with 2484 viewsSW_LondonBlue

I got this book for my birthday recently - The A to Z of Weird & Wonderful Football Shirts

Whilst reading through I discovered one of the greatest kits ever (Holland 1988) was actually a template named "Ipswich" Does anyone know why this was?

Here's an old catalogue on twitter someone posted a while back for reference. Maybe one to bring back in the future ...
Holland 88 - "Ipswich" Kit Question/Random fact on 10:51 - Jul 22 with 2439 viewshype313

That takes me back to Gullit's header and Van Basten's volley.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Holland 88 - "Ipswich" Kit Question/Random fact on 10:52 - Jul 22 with 2432 viewsWD19

Because we are the greatest football team the world has ever seen.

Against that it is logical that Adidas would leverage our name for their flagship kit.
Holland 88 - "Ipswich" Kit Question/Random fact on 10:56 - Jul 22 with 2402 viewsTrumptonBlue

Interesting* fact - the shirt was only worn five times, just in those Euros. In their next game, they were back in the solid orange shirt using the same template as our 86-89 kit.

I believe the template was named "Ipswich" in tribute to Graham Harbey.

* To me.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 11:00]
Holland 88 - "Ipswich" Kit Question/Random fact on 10:56 - Jul 22 with 2399 viewsMullet

Not sure why, but very frustrating we never had it. I've seen the Dutch, Russian, and I think it was Canadian versions at the National Football Museum and they all look great in the flesh.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Holland 88 - "Ipswich" Kit Question/Random fact on 11:02 - Jul 22 with 2374 viewsThe_Last_Baron

I've posted on here about this before.

It was going to be the new Ipswich design for the 1988/89 season. However Town and Adidas subsequently decided not to renew their deal which was up in 1988. I believe Town had agreed a deal with Admiral starting with the 88/89 season which fell through at a very late stage. So Town ended up sticking with Adidas for one more year on the same kit (apart from the Centenary season motif under the badge).

The following year Town signed with Umbro and we got the famous and much loved Tango kit and one of the great Town home shirts which we wore for three years.

As for the "Ipswich' design, it was used for many teams but none matched the beauty of the Dutch design. I remember being disappointed when they turned out for the 1990 World Cup with a more traditional design.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Holland 88 - "Ipswich" Kit Question/Random fact on 11:03 - Jul 22 with 2350 viewsbringonthetractor

We should try to get adidas to do a version of this for our away kit next season (love an orange away kit)!

edit: added 'try to'
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 11:06]

Evans out

Holland 88 - "Ipswich" Kit Question/Random fact on 11:05 - Jul 22 with 2320 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Holland 88 - "Ipswich" Kit Question/Random fact on 11:03 - Jul 22 by bringonthetractor

We should try to get adidas to do a version of this for our away kit next season (love an orange away kit)!

edit: added 'try to'
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 11:06]

Adidas deal is up next summer. I'm hoping for Macron, bespoke kits for all.

Holland 88 - "Ipswich" Kit Question/Random fact on 11:08 - Jul 22 with 2299 viewsbringonthetractor

Holland 88 - "Ipswich" Kit Question/Random fact on 11:05 - Jul 22 by The_Last_Baron

Adidas deal is up next summer. I'm hoping for Macron, bespoke kits for all.

oh yeah, oops! Guess we'll be going with someone else as the new owners put their stamp on things?

Evans out

Login to get fewer ads

Holland 88 - "Ipswich" Kit Question/Random fact on 11:15 - Jul 22 with 2270 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Holland 88 - "Ipswich" Kit Question/Random fact on 11:08 - Jul 22 by bringonthetractor

oh yeah, oops! Guess we'll be going with someone else as the new owners put their stamp on things?

I used to love Adidas but their kits are dull nowadays. The logo on kits is a poor shadow of the great Trefoil, the stripes no longer go the whole way down the arms and they clearly put little effort into Town's designs.

80s Adidas v 2020s Adidas is no contest. Trainers are still great though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024