Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some fans looking too lightly on firing a manager 08:20 - Sep 15 with 743 viewsBlueySwede

We are in the middle of September. Six league games into the season, after a massive overhaul of players. Talking about firing Cook at this stage is just premature.
If we are still not showing signs of improving (including a few wins) after 14-15 games, then ok, the owners will do something.
Sacking Cook now? That could be very risky with several players having stated the main reason they have signed for us was the oppurtunity to work with Cook (and a few of them haven´t got on the pitch yet, or just barely).
Can´t say that I´m not worried or sure that all will work out for Cook, but I am so tired of the short sightedness of some fans. At least do not hit the panic button just yet.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2021 8:21]
Some fans looking to lightly on firing a manager on 08:22 - Sep 15 with 721 viewshype313

He'll be given 3 games when Morsy and Celina are in, if then nothings changed or improved at that point, then that's when decisions will be made.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2021 8:22]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Some fans looking too lightly on firing a manager on 08:23 - Sep 15 with 699 viewsBlueBadger

If we wait till 14-15 games and THIS is still going on we'll be looking at getting in someone to keep us from relegation, not get us promoted.

End of September. That's as long as Keane should have had, that's as long as Hurst should have had.

I think that's more than generous towards a manager with 4 wins in 24.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Some fans looking too lightly on firing a manager on 08:26 - Sep 15 with 653 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

6 months into Cook's tenure.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Some fans looking too lightly on firing a manager on 08:30 - Sep 15 with 627 viewshomer_123

This whole 'I only signed because of Cook'.

If this is them 'playing for Cook' then by heck I wish we hadn't signed them.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Some fans looking too lightly on firing a manager on 08:32 - Sep 15 with 617 viewsHerbivore

If we carry on as we have been then after 14 or 15 games we'll have 6 or 7 points on the board and have zero chance of going up this season. Can we justify writing off another season because we want to give a failing manager a chance?

Cook has pedigree at this level and to some extent the level above. He clearly has had something about him as a manager. But he hasn't show it here at all. He's had 25 games in charge and has won just 4 of them, that's a win rate below 20% in the third tier.

Not only is that a shocking win rate at this level, when you look at the opposition we've faced during that run it's been many of the lesser lights at this level that we've failed to get results against. Our run in last season was almost exclusively against bottom half opposition and this year we've already played all three promoted sides and three sides who finished bottom half last season. His record has been shocking.

That there is legitimate talk about how much more time Cook should be given is a measure of just how poor he's been here. When he came here everyone was optimistic about our chances and we all felt he was a very good appointment for this level. That he's not only wiped out that optimism but also has many of us wondering whether he has anything about him to turn it around is a mark of what a car crash his tenure has been thus far. And it's not easy to come back from this kind of thing, he talks about a lack of winning mentality, he's a manager with a win % below 20% in over half a season in the third tier. Does he still have that winning mentality?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Some fans looking too lightly on firing a manager on 08:33 - Sep 15 with 598 viewsbraveblue

Well said
Some fans looking too lightly on firing a manager on 08:35 - Sep 15 with 581 viewsjayessess

I think it's difficult to talk about "risk" when you're 22nd in the league. It's virtually impossible for Ipswich-sized clubs to get relegated from this division without a major financial meltdown, but the likeliest route to that happening is if we get stuck in this tail-spin we're in now and do nothing to address it.

Ultimately, I think people have very unrealistic ideas about how most managerial reigns go. There are outliers where everything is a struggle for a while, but generally speaking good managers come in, have a positive impact and from the outset improve the players, coaching and tactics. Entirely new teams do sometimes take time to settle, but good coaches have ways of mitigating this and ultimately producing coherent, if not spectacular, teams.

If these things aren't happening after 2 dozen games, then the likeliest outcome is that they won't ever. That's not to say we won't be unusual and that we aren't obliged to play out Cook's reign until it's genuinely untenable. Things might suddenly click or the individual quality might just overcome the team's flaws. But the percentage bet here is that things will continue to go south.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024