Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
#HillsboroughLawNow 07:29 - Jan 6 with 4960 viewsbluelagos

Justice campaigners are relaunching their attempts to introduce a Hillsborough Law and are asking supporters to join them on Friday at 1pm in sharing the twitter hashtag #HillsboroughLawNow

There is also a FB steamed launch - see below.

https://www.facebook.com/events/472360640924941?acontext=%7B%22event_action_hist

Legislation was introduced in the last parliament but the election two years ago meant it fell and the current government is yet to reintroduce any new legislation. Without government support it won't pass into law.

The proposed legislation, drafted by lawyers for the Hillsborough families does one simple thing, it makes it a legal requirement for the police and other public servants to tell the truth at any inquests or public inquiry. Under the law as it stands, you can only commit perjury if you lie at a criminal trial.

By placing a "duty of candor" on the police, it will close a loop hole that meant those responsible for the police led cover up over Hillsborough were never successfully prosecuted. At present the police and other public servants can mislead an inquest/inquiry with impunity.

As well as tweeting #HillsboroughLawNow on Friday, you can show your support by simply emailing your MP and asking them to support any legislation as/when it comes forward.

https://members.parliament.uk/members/commons

Background: In April 1981 the two FA Cup semi finals were Man City v Ipswich and Spurs v Wolves. Spurs v Wolves was played at Hillsborough and a number of fans were seriously injured that day. It could easily have been us playing at Hillsborough in 1981. Eight years later it was Liverpool v Forrest.

Any younger fans and/or new posters wanting to know more about how the day unfolded, how I was threatened and my evidence changed by WM police officers and how a number of survivors mounted a legal fight for representation at the inquests can read more on the blog below.

http://ahillsboroughsurvivor.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-interview-with-wmscs.html?

[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 18:08]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

#HillsboroughLawNow on 08:52 - Jan 6 with 3659 viewsvanmunt

I will be honest and didn't know that you could blatantly obscure the truth (ie. lie) at a hearing. Anne the program really opened my eyes to the whole situation and I have nothing but the utmost respect for all those that have campaigned over these years.
#HillsboroughLawNow on 09:09 - Jan 6 with 3632 viewsle2blue

Thank you for posting. I saw Andy Burnham and Steve Rotheram's tweets, and to be honest, they didn't make clear to someone who isn't aware of what the Hillsborough Law is, what it is all about and what outcome they want to achieve, so this is super useful. Email sent to my MP.

Huge respect for all your (ongoing) efforts, along with the rest of the campaigners.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 9:10]
#HillsboroughLawNow on 09:10 - Jan 6 with 3618 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Started tweeting this now and I'll continue tweeting every morning from now on.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

#HillsboroughLawNow on 09:20 - Jan 6 with 3602 viewsSwansea_Blue

Well worth the support, although I'm highly cynical about this government worrying about the truth. But we certainly need this. I'm not on Twitbook, but those who are should show solidarity imo.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

#HillsboroughLawNow on 09:53 - Jan 6 with 3551 viewsbluelagos

#HillsboroughLawNow on 08:52 - Jan 6 by vanmunt

I will be honest and didn't know that you could blatantly obscure the truth (ie. lie) at a hearing. Anne the program really opened my eyes to the whole situation and I have nothing but the utmost respect for all those that have campaigned over these years.

Yeah so basically the crimes of "perverting the course of justice" and 'perjury" don't apply in inquests/inquries only criminal proceedings.

So the many police who lied underoath, changed statements, misled the Taylor inquiry were not committing offences. Their cover up was legal.

At Hillsborough there was a tactic called the 'Freeman tactic' which was to block the tunnel onto the pens when the central pens were full, so fans instead went to the sides. Had the police done this, no one would have died at Hillsborough.

When the police presented their evidence to the Taylor report, the Wain report, written by Bettison onitted all referneces to it, despite some SYP mentioning it in their statements.

He misled the inquiry, end of. He and others who misled a public inquiry remain above the law. Is why it needs changing.

#HillsboroughLawNow on 10:36 - Jan 6 with 3475 viewsMattinLondon

#HillsboroughLawNow on 08:52 - Jan 6 by vanmunt

I too was always under the impression that the police had an legal obligation to tell the truth at hearings. I know that morality and the law sometimes don’t go hand-in-hand but was shocked when I first become aware of it.

I’ve never written to an MP before but will do so for this.
#HillsboroughLawNow on 10:51 - Jan 6 with 3452 viewsIP12

Just a small reminder that this doesn't only apply to the 'Hillsborough Tragedy'. The series of inquiries into the 'Stephen Port case' (responsible for the death of 4 young men in East London) is alleged to show that the standard response of the police officers giving evidence to those official inquiries was 'No Comment'. This is all within the last year
#HillsboroughLawNow on 11:14 - Jan 6 with 3403 viewsbluelagos

#HillsboroughLawNow on 10:51 - Jan 6 by IP12

Just a small reminder that this doesn't only apply to the 'Hillsborough Tragedy'. The series of inquiries into the 'Stephen Port case' (responsible for the death of 4 young men in East London) is alleged to show that the standard response of the police officers giving evidence to those official inquiries was 'No Comment'. This is all within the last year

Great point. See below too.

Login to get fewer ads

#HillsboroughLawNow on 11:20 - Jan 6 with 3393 viewsMattinLondon

#HillsboroughLawNow on 11:14 - Jan 6 by bluelagos

Pardon my ignorance on this - can a police officer etc be charged with dishonesty in a public office (or something similar) if they found to have lied etc at an inquest?
#HillsboroughLawNow on 11:42 - Jan 6 with 3361 viewsbluelagos

#HillsboroughLawNow on 11:20 - Jan 6 by MattinLondon

Pardon my ignorance on this - can a police officer etc be charged with dishonesty in a public office (or something similar) if they found to have lied etc at an inquest?

Am not a lawyer sorry, so not up on such things.

I would imagine if today they'd get charged with misconduct and if serious enough could lose their jobs. Of course those who lied under oath at the inquests have now all been pensioned off so there is no such provision.

Duckenfield was actually suspended and charged with gross misconduct by the SYP as it happens.

He was then allowed to retire early, all those charges were dropped and his police pension was fully enhanced as he retired on medical grounds rather than ordinary resignation.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-inquests-david-

#HillsboroughLawNow on 16:56 - Jan 6 with 3101 viewsjeera

Thanks for posting again on this chap.

Determination and conviction of your experience on these matters has been key to educating many of us.

I just had an email pop through from Change.com (about another subject), which made me wonder if this is 'live' on there or any other petition sites.

I have an email open as I type to my MP and hope he receives enough to at least take notice.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

#HillsboroughLawNow on 18:06 - Jan 6 with 3053 viewsbluelagos

So those who use FB - there is a streamed event/launch tomorrow at 1pm. Details below.

https://www.facebook.com/events/472360640924941?acontext=%7B%22event_action_hist
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 18:15]

#HillsboroughLawNow on 18:54 - Jan 6 with 3010 viewscbower

#HillsboroughLawNow on 09:53 - Jan 6 by bluelagos

Yeah so basically the crimes of "perverting the course of justice" and 'perjury" don't apply in inquests/inquries only criminal proceedings.

So the many police who lied underoath, changed statements, misled the Taylor inquiry were not committing offences. Their cover up was legal.

At Hillsborough there was a tactic called the 'Freeman tactic' which was to block the tunnel onto the pens when the central pens were full, so fans instead went to the sides. Had the police done this, no one would have died at Hillsborough.

When the police presented their evidence to the Taylor report, the Wain report, written by Bettison onitted all referneces to it, despite some SYP mentioning it in their statements.

He misled the inquiry, end of. He and others who misled a public inquiry remain above the law. Is why it needs changing.

The pervading attitudes within the police at that time were a direct result of the political leadership of the preceding decade. Thatcher's rhetoric towards anyone who questioned her policy was played out in her attitude towards Unions and The NUM in particular and emboldened antagonistic tactics deployed by the police. Before that her massive downer on anything to do with Liverpool stemmed from the early 80s riots, Heysel, Liverpool City Council under Hatton and Liverpool's staunch opposition to her in general. Poll tax riots were further examples where the police were almost military like in their tactics. The city hated her and she did not hide her scorn for us (I am a scouser!). And furthermore, when I see her sidekick Bernard Ingham peddling his lies about fans at Hillsborogh, that makes my blood boil. Well done to you my man for standing your ground.

bluescouser

#HillsboroughLawNow on 20:47 - Jan 6 with 2942 viewsjaykay

#HillsboroughLawNow on 18:54 - Jan 6 by cbower

The pervading attitudes within the police at that time were a direct result of the political leadership of the preceding decade. Thatcher's rhetoric towards anyone who questioned her policy was played out in her attitude towards Unions and The NUM in particular and emboldened antagonistic tactics deployed by the police. Before that her massive downer on anything to do with Liverpool stemmed from the early 80s riots, Heysel, Liverpool City Council under Hatton and Liverpool's staunch opposition to her in general. Poll tax riots were further examples where the police were almost military like in their tactics. The city hated her and she did not hide her scorn for us (I am a scouser!). And furthermore, when I see her sidekick Bernard Ingham peddling his lies about fans at Hillsborogh, that makes my blood boil. Well done to you my man for standing your ground.

many believed all the crap ingham and the sun churned out the time of hillsborough.
even some on here didn't believe lagos ,when he gave his true version what he witnessed at the ground that day

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

#HillsboroughLawNow on 22:03 - Jan 6 with 2904 viewssoupytwist

My wife and I just watched the documentary on ITV about Anne Williams, having not watched the drama series. Much of it I already knew, thanks to your efforts but my wife was ignorant of much of it and found it a tough watch.

Interesting point about the ITV programme, producer and director credited was Iwan Roberts. Is that the ex-Norwich striker? Quite a career shift if so.

Edit to add - no it wasn't, there's someone with the same name who appears to be equally Welsh but has worked in TV for a number of years!
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 22:05]
#HillsboroughLawNow on 22:16 - Jan 6 with 2883 viewsbluelagos

#HillsboroughLawNow on 22:03 - Jan 6 by soupytwist

My wife and I just watched the documentary on ITV about Anne Williams, having not watched the drama series. Much of it I already knew, thanks to your efforts but my wife was ignorant of much of it and found it a tough watch.

Interesting point about the ITV programme, producer and director credited was Iwan Roberts. Is that the ex-Norwich striker? Quite a career shift if so.

Edit to add - no it wasn't, there's someone with the same name who appears to be equally Welsh but has worked in TV for a number of years!
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 22:05]

Very well put together I thought.

Am sure it will be on ITV player for anyone who wants to watch it on catch up, same with the Anne drama which is a very difficult watch.

#HillsboroughLawNow on 08:01 - Jan 7 with 2763 viewsChurchman

Thank you for posting this. I am astonished - had always assumed there was a legal obligation to tell the truth as you know it at any enquiry, inquest etc.
#HillsboroughLawNow on 08:26 - Jan 7 with 2744 viewsbluelagos

#HillsboroughLawNow on 08:01 - Jan 7 by Churchman

Thank you for posting this. I am astonished - had always assumed there was a legal obligation to tell the truth as you know it at any enquiry, inquest etc.

You're not alone there Churchman.

1pm today guys. Or a simple email to your MP.

#HillsboroughLawNow on 09:07 - Jan 7 with 2714 viewsChurchman

#HillsboroughLawNow on 08:26 - Jan 7 by bluelagos

I’ll be emailing my MP
#HillsboroughLawNow on 11:13 - Jan 7 with 2584 viewsCheltenham_Blue

#HillsboroughLawNow on 08:26 - Jan 7 by bluelagos

Doing Both.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

#HillsboroughLawNow on 11:36 - Jan 7 with 2558 viewsellaandred

#HillsboroughLawNow on 11:14 - Jan 6 by bluelagos

I don't do twitter but have e-mailed my MP. And have asked others to as well.
As an aside I can remember exactly where I was when news came thru that something had 'happened' at Hillsborough.
Thank you for bringing the truth to my attention.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 17:16]
#HillsboroughLawNow on 12:07 - Jan 7 with 2530 viewsbluelagos

#HillsboroughLawNow on 18:19 - Jan 7 with 2345 viewsbluelagos

Close to 3 hours which am guessing is too much for most people. Theresa May, Gordon Brown and Kenny D all spoke as well a number of family members and some campaigners for Grenfell and a couple of other campaigns.

A few short clips have made it onto Skynews and BBCnews. Here is one from Hillsborough survivor Steve Rotherham MP.

#HillsboroughLawNow on 21:53 - Jan 7 with 2284 viewsRyorry

#HillsboroughLawNow on 10:51 - Jan 6 by IP12

Saw that dramatised version of the deaths of 4 young men at the hands of Stephen Port earlier this week on Beeb1.

The update right at the end said that investigation into the incompetence of the case handling initially by Barking & Dagenham Police (part of the Met) was "now" to be re-opened - were the 'no comment' statements you mention referring to that? Or is the re-opened investigation still to come?

Anyway, thanks BL. Like many others, I was unaware that it was considered somehow constitutionally OK for coppers to lie at any time when doing their jobs. Time for the UK to have a written Constitution methinks. Labour should certainly put that in their next manifesto.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

#HillsboroughLawNow on 23:38 - Jan 7 with 2258 viewsbluelagos

Wow, some movement :-)

Just to ask again - an email to your MP could make a difference to how they vote on this. Everyone knows the Merseyside MPs will support it, but if you have a Tory MP I'd mention that Theresa May is a vocal supporter of the proposals.

Thanks again to all who have already made the effort. JFT97

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024