Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… 12:57 - Feb 5 with 2807 viewsOakingtonBlue

When Saturday Comes or The Blizzard… or something else?

Be interested to hear views

Uppatowen
Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 13:01 - Feb 5 with 2789 viewsMullet

I’ve had a WSC subscription for a while now (Steve M convinced me in the end) and it’s really good. Daniel Gray has done some really nice books too. The value and depth is excellent I’d say.

It’s a shame Mundial collapsed as that had a really good niche once you got over the hipster affectation.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 14:44 - Feb 5 with 2694 viewsOakingtonBlue

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 13:01 - Feb 5 by Mullet

I’ve had a WSC subscription for a while now (Steve M convinced me in the end) and it’s really good. Daniel Gray has done some really nice books too. The value and depth is excellent I’d say.

It’s a shame Mundial collapsed as that had a really good niche once you got over the hipster affectation.

Yeah I never read Mundial - might swipe a copy off eBay. I have a WSC subscription and love it. Just got into Jonathan Wilson (inverting the pyramid) / Marcus Speller (Football Ramble) quarterly called The Blizzard.

So much good football writing has moved online but I’m a sucker for a quality hold in the hands mag
Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 14:57 - Feb 5 with 2675 viewsMullet

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 14:44 - Feb 5 by OakingtonBlue

Yeah I never read Mundial - might swipe a copy off eBay. I have a WSC subscription and love it. Just got into Jonathan Wilson (inverting the pyramid) / Marcus Speller (Football Ramble) quarterly called The Blizzard.

So much good football writing has moved online but I’m a sucker for a quality hold in the hands mag

They’re selling old copies still I believe

I really like inverting the pyramid and a lot of JWs stuff. Only followed the Blizzard on Twitter so let us know if it’s worth switching to!

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 11:31 - Feb 6 with 2581 viewsOakingtonBlue

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 14:57 - Feb 5 by Mullet

They’re selling old copies still I believe

I really like inverting the pyramid and a lot of JWs stuff. Only followed the Blizzard on Twitter so let us know if it’s worth switching to!

Yeah I ordered one off eBay. Sad to see that start ups like that go to the wall but it is quite niche.

Amazing that The Blizzard has been going 10+ years. Jonathan Wilson (and to some extent Marcus Speller in podcast circles) are a big draw.

Might hit go on buying the whole back catalogue second hand 😳😊
Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 11:38 - Feb 6 with 2569 viewsmylittletown

In the dim and distant past, it was Foul magazine 1972-76.

I believe that WSC acknowledge the influence of Foul.
Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 11:51 - Feb 6 with 2559 viewsWeWereZombies

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 11:38 - Feb 6 by mylittletown

In the dim and distant past, it was Foul magazine 1972-76.

I believe that WSC acknowledge the influence of Foul.

I have one or two issues of 'Foul' somewhere, I should dig them out and see what they are worth. Or re-read them and keep hold of them to read again in ten years time. Yeah, better idea, that one.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 16:10 - Feb 6 with 2484 viewsOakingtonBlue

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 11:51 - Feb 6 by WeWereZombies

I have one or two issues of 'Foul' somewhere, I should dig them out and see what they are worth. Or re-read them and keep hold of them to read again in ten years time. Yeah, better idea, that one.

Yeah Daniel Gray and Harry Person on one of the WSC live events at the end of last year both spoke fondly about Foul magazine 😊

Been reading the active / semi active forum post thread over at One Touch Football about The Blizzard since it’s pilot / issue zero in March 2011 https://www.onetouchfootball.com/

G
Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 08:24 - Feb 8 with 2354 viewsOakingtonBlue

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 16:10 - Feb 6 by OakingtonBlue

Yeah Daniel Gray and Harry Person on one of the WSC live events at the end of last year both spoke fondly about Foul magazine 😊

Been reading the active / semi active forum post thread over at One Touch Football about The Blizzard since it’s pilot / issue zero in March 2011 https://www.onetouchfootball.com/

G

Got a steal for the whole back catalogue from a guy in Leighton Buzzard 👌
Login to get fewer ads

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 08:33 - Feb 8 with 2334 viewsJakeITFC

I’ve subscribed to the Blizzard since the start and it’s the best around for my taste (which is longer form reading). Often has a few stories per quarter which are a bit too obscure or heavy going to be enjoyable but the quality is never in doubt.

Supplement that with my day-to-day stuff from the Athletic and the Guardian (alongside Cricinfo for cricket stuff generally).
Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 08:39 - Feb 8 with 2322 viewsitfcjoe

The Blizzard is great, and I have a huge stack of them going back to issue Zero - also puts their content online or make it available on Kindle if a subscriber so gives you the options.

I also collect the These Football Times bookazines, they are released every couple of months and focus on a single club, player, manager philosophy, etc the last ones released were the original Ronaldo and Anderlecht I think. They sell out quickly though, but smell beautiful!

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2021/07/06/the-magazine/

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 08:47 - Feb 8 with 2313 viewsChurchman

I always liked Shoot as a kid. I suppose because we had a team, we were in it quite a lot.
Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 13:54 - Feb 8 with 2224 viewsOakingtonBlue

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 08:39 - Feb 8 by itfcjoe

The Blizzard is great, and I have a huge stack of them going back to issue Zero - also puts their content online or make it available on Kindle if a subscriber so gives you the options.

I also collect the These Football Times bookazines, they are released every couple of months and focus on a single club, player, manager philosophy, etc the last ones released were the original Ronaldo and Anderlecht I think. They sell out quickly though, but smell beautiful!

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2021/07/06/the-magazine/

Wow. You shouldn’t of told me about These Football Times. Absolutely beautiful and comparable style cues from my favourite magazine Delayed Gratification - you’d love it. They love an infographic :) https://www.slow-journalism.com/
Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 14:03 - Feb 8 with 2209 viewsitfcjoe

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 13:54 - Feb 8 by OakingtonBlue

Wow. You shouldn’t of told me about These Football Times. Absolutely beautiful and comparable style cues from my favourite magazine Delayed Gratification - you’d love it. They love an infographic :) https://www.slow-journalism.com/

Does look some great infographic-ing work going on there!

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 14:12 - Feb 8 with 2191 viewsOakingtonBlue

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 14:03 - Feb 8 by itfcjoe

Does look some great infographic-ing work going on there!

Subscribe sir! You won’t be disappointed.

…. And in a continuing six degrees of separation style recommendations - if you like slow news, you’ll also love Tortoise Media kickstarted by ex Head of News at the BBC, James Harding. :)

Keep em coming… I feel like I’ve found a likeminded soul in you Joe :)
Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 14:15 - Feb 8 with 2186 viewsitfcjoe

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 14:12 - Feb 8 by OakingtonBlue

Subscribe sir! You won’t be disappointed.

…. And in a continuing six degrees of separation style recommendations - if you like slow news, you’ll also love Tortoise Media kickstarted by ex Head of News at the BBC, James Harding. :)

Keep em coming… I feel like I’ve found a likeminded soul in you Joe :)

I do listen to the Tortoise weekly podcast (The slow newscast) and enjoyed the 'Thinkin' series with James Harding.......

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 14:34 - Feb 8 with 2166 viewsOakingtonBlue

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 14:15 - Feb 8 by itfcjoe

I do listen to the Tortoise weekly podcast (The slow newscast) and enjoyed the 'Thinkin' series with James Harding.......

Great stuff 👍. See … two bruvas from different muthas 😃
Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 16:47 - Feb 9 with 2064 viewsOakingtonBlue

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 14:34 - Feb 8 by OakingtonBlue

Great stuff 👍. See … two bruvas from different muthas 😃

I’m sure there are other magazine gems out there that this thread hasn’t unearthed …. Yet ?!
Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 17:16 - Feb 9 with 2036 viewsMullet

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 14:15 - Feb 8 by itfcjoe

Tortoise is very good. You might like some of the stuff in the wondery catalogue or Gladwells stable of podcasts too.

Sorry to divert from football media.

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 17:54 - Feb 9 with 2014 viewsOakingtonBlue

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 17:16 - Feb 9 by Mullet

Tortoise is very good. You might like some of the stuff in the wondery catalogue or Gladwells stable of podcasts too.

Don’t apologise Mullet! I love Malcolm Gladwell, and pretty much anything he touches 😀
Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 17:56 - Feb 9 with 2010 viewsMullet

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 17:54 - Feb 9 by OakingtonBlue

Don’t apologise Mullet! I love Malcolm Gladwell, and pretty much anything he touches 😀

His books are excellent I’m most of the way through his catalogue, but it was his pods I really got into.

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 19:16 - Feb 9 with 1978 viewsOakingtonBlue

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 17:56 - Feb 9 by Mullet

His books are excellent I’m most of the way through his catalogue, but it was his pods I really got into.

Are you a Tortoise member? I funded from its Kickstarter origin and am a founding member
Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 21:08 - Feb 9 with 1917 viewsitfcjoe

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 17:16 - Feb 9 by Mullet

Yep - listen to lots of the Wondery and Pushkin stuff as well in my podcast odyssey

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 22:10 - Feb 9 with 1870 viewsMullet

Best football magazine - for the discerning reader… on 19:16 - Feb 9 by OakingtonBlue

Are you a Tortoise member? I funded from its Kickstarter origin and am a founding member

No, I'm relatively late to it. I seem to have acquired a lot of American pods such as Radiolab in terms of long term listening and have gone from tangents - at one point I was listening to the global news pod to keep up to date with current affairs but dropped that.

Bar the two ITFC pods and an Ancient History pod nothing else is a staple on my commute they seem to come and go in seasons. I think that stops me getting in ruts, but driving is when I do my listening so I guess that has an effect.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024