Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
this is why it's worth voting 17:20 - May 5 with 1081 viewspositivity

(at the time of posting) of 64 conservative councils they've lost 37.

that's 37 areas (and hopefully more to come) with thousands of people, where the tories can do less damage.

mid suffolk becomes the first ever green council.

even babergh has more greens than tories.

(and my ward now has 3 labour councillors for the first time ever)

it's good stuff!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

this is why it's worth voting on 17:35 - May 5 with 1030 viewsSamuelowen88

Where I am is now hung, Libs and Lab. Tories have 0 councillors, happy with that.

Poll: England v Wales Score

this is why it's worth voting on 17:46 - May 5 with 1010 viewsfactual_blue

I see Deckchair Derek has kept his seat in Babergh.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

this is why it's worth voting on 17:48 - May 5 with 999 viewsHARRY10

What has been striking is the amount of tactical voting that is happening.

At local level, there's not so much difference seen between the progressive parties. And make no mistake, this is a judgement on the incompetence of the Tories. 13 years of cuts, limited investment and (lately) sheer blo ody incompetence have led to this need to be rid of them.

Most voters will be well aware that although they are not removing MPs, they are ridding councils of the Quislings and Milice who facilitated this current mess.

Today has shown what can be done, when not stripping power from local constituencies. When the ruling group in the council is determined by local activists, NOT central office.

More power now needs to be devolved to the regions, and not a further concentration of control from the top.
this is why it's worth voting on 17:56 - May 5 with 989 viewsghostofescobar

And every vote counts.......in Hertford one seat was taken by the Greens from the Tories by a single vote!

GhostOfEscobar

this is why it's worth voting on 17:58 - May 5 with 981 viewsKeno

this is why it's worth voting on 17:35 - May 5 by Samuelowen88

Where I am is now hung, Libs and Lab. Tories have 0 councillors, happy with that.

that sounds like a well hung parliament

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

this is why it's worth voting on 18:22 - May 5 with 946 viewsBlueBadger

this is why it's worth voting on 17:48 - May 5 by HARRY10

What has been striking is the amount of tactical voting that is happening.

At local level, there's not so much difference seen between the progressive parties. And make no mistake, this is a judgement on the incompetence of the Tories. 13 years of cuts, limited investment and (lately) sheer blo ody incompetence have led to this need to be rid of them.

Most voters will be well aware that although they are not removing MPs, they are ridding councils of the Quislings and Milice who facilitated this current mess.

Today has shown what can be done, when not stripping power from local constituencies. When the ruling group in the council is determined by local activists, NOT central office.

More power now needs to be devolved to the regions, and not a further concentration of control from the top.

Worth pointing out that the 'progressive alliance' has very much been a grassroots thing at local level. If there'd been a degree of that flexibility and grown up thinking nationally over the past ten years, we might be living in a very different country right now.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

this is why it's worth voting on 18:24 - May 5 with 939 viewsgazzer1999

I wish Ipswich had a labour council so we could see some progress here, oh wait.......
this is why it's worth voting on 18:32 - May 5 with 923 viewsgtsb1966

Unfortunately my ward has the usual blue people returned who i dont think have the area at heart.
[Post edited 5 May 2023 18:34]
Login to get fewer ads

this is why it's worth voting on 18:33 - May 5 with 921 viewsHARRY10

this is why it's worth voting on 18:22 - May 5 by BlueBadger

Worth pointing out that the 'progressive alliance' has very much been a grassroots thing at local level. If there'd been a degree of that flexibility and grown up thinking nationally over the past ten years, we might be living in a very different country right now.

It is not that complicated, honestly

Council elections and national elections are NOT the same. The former allows for decisions to be made for that locale, rather than the latter where they CANNOT be made for one particular locale.

There has been a 'blind eye' turned to what happens locally, even then there is nothing official stated. A glance at the three recent Libdem by election victories shows what is done.....unofficially
this is why it's worth voting on 20:49 - May 5 with 792 viewsKievthegreat

It's quite interesting up here. I live in Oadby and Wigston (outskirts of Leicester and a very small borough), we went from 25 Lib Dems and 1 Tory down to 19 Lib Dems and 7 Tories, but was much closer in vote share 51% vs 45% due to local issues around free parking in the town centre car parks.

Then you have Leicester which has seen a very big swing to Conservatives, originally it was 53 labour and 1 Lib Dem, but Labour lost 22 seats. 5 went to the Lib Dems and Greens, but Tories picked up 17. Unfortunately there is quite a bit of aggro between some parts of the Hindu and Muslim communities in Leicester and it does seem to be splitting on religious lines vote wise.

Luckily in the rest of the county we have seen the Tories either lose control or in some cases be wiped out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024