Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? 08:54 - Aug 4 with 1135 viewsNthQldITFC

Was it our promotion? I had a few pints, but I don't think I can be held responsible for this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66387537

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:11 - Aug 4 with 1052 viewsGeoffSentence

Hot steaming sewage being pumped into the oceans.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:12 - Aug 4 with 1040 viewsKeno

But its ok, the Tories are paying their friends a lot of money to invent a machine that does what a tree does

unfortunately they will probably cut down loads of trees to try and make it work

and make lots of money

and what they invent wont work

but that will be our fault and we should all all vote for them so they can give their friends more money

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:17 - Aug 4 with 1026 viewsNthQldITFC

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:11 - Aug 4 by GeoffSentence

Hot steaming sewage being pumped into the oceans.

It's a truly extraordinary graph, that, and I fear there's more to it than UK water profiteers maximising their profits, sadly. Hopefully there's some sort of stabilising negative feedback going to kick in. I wonder if the jet stream situation and our current autumnal weather in summer are linked?

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:19 - Aug 4 with 1011 viewsKeno

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:17 - Aug 4 by NthQldITFC

It's a truly extraordinary graph, that, and I fear there's more to it than UK water profiteers maximising their profits, sadly. Hopefully there's some sort of stabilising negative feedback going to kick in. I wonder if the jet stream situation and our current autumnal weather in summer are linked?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/25/gulf-stream-could-collapse-a

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:20 - Aug 4 with 997 viewsNthQldITFC

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:19 - Aug 4 by Keno

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/25/gulf-stream-could-collapse-a

Yup.

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:34 - Aug 4 with 952 viewsGuthrum

While very alarming, that graph is too globalised to give a real idea of what's happening, basically looking at all non-polar waters. Are there variations between oceans, hemispheres and specific currents?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:35 - Aug 4 with 950 viewsGuthrum

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:19 - Aug 4 by Keno

If the Gulf Stream stops, it will be very much colder in the UK.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:42 - Aug 4 with 924 viewsCotty

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:34 - Aug 4 by Guthrum

While very alarming, that graph is too globalised to give a real idea of what's happening, basically looking at all non-polar waters. Are there variations between oceans, hemispheres and specific currents?

That line represents a colossal amount of extra energy in our oceans. No matter that it's averaged over the globe, this is a clear indicator of crisis for us all.
Login to get fewer ads

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:48 - Aug 4 with 914 viewsNthQldITFC

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:34 - Aug 4 by Guthrum

There seem to be focussed areas - well known things like Gulf Stream/east side of North America, south east Pacific (El Nino), Mediterranean (a bit of a closed system?) and north east Pacific.

Then there are all these little blotches, particularly in the southern oceans. No idea whether those patterns (or levels) are anything like normal.

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:51 - Aug 4 with 899 viewsCoachRob

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:35 - Aug 4 by Guthrum

If the Gulf Stream stops, it will be very much colder in the UK.

Which scientist has said the Gulf Stream will stop?
What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:55 - Aug 4 with 887 viewshomer_123

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:51 - Aug 4 by CoachRob

Which scientist has said the Gulf Stream will stop?

No need for experts here.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:57 - Aug 4 with 885 viewsNthQldITFC

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:42 - Aug 4 by Cotty

That line represents a colossal amount of extra energy in our oceans. No matter that it's averaged over the globe, this is a clear indicator of crisis for us all.

That's the point, although to be more accurate it's the surface of the oceans, and a transfer of energy presumably from deeper down (too rapid to be from the less energy-dense atmosphere?).

But it's also the (in statistical terms) MASSIVE deviation from the norm, coupled with the unknown cause(s) and the fear of triggering of a cascade (sorry, but that's the fear) of other positive feedback (worsening) effects.

That graph is screaming out that something serious is happening. But it's possible that it will stabilise and give us time to act - BUT WE NEED TO ACT NOW! NOW!

There's no time left for limp-wristed, half-arsed measures let alone greenwashing or fantasy tech-fix bullsh!t.

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 11:00 - Aug 4 with 824 viewsSwansea_Blue

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 09:12 - Aug 4 by Keno

But its ok, the Tories are paying their friends a lot of money to invent a machine that does what a tree does

unfortunately they will probably cut down loads of trees to try and make it work

and make lots of money

and what they invent wont work

but that will be our fault and we should all all vote for them so they can give their friends more money

That may well happen. And in the meantime they’re rolling back regulation to help keep the air we have to breath clean:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/aug/04/uk-government-ignoring-green

What a lovely bunch they are.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What the hell happened at the end of April / early May? on 12:37 - Aug 4 with 706 viewsStokieBlue

The sea temperature around Florida exceeded 38C last week, easily a record and something that could have immediate effects on those living there given it'll make available a lot more energy to strengthen hurricanes.

Could be a few brutal ones this year given those temperatures. Crazy thing is Florida is a Republican state voting for policies which perpetuate these issues.

"Sierra Club Florida last year gave DeSantis a D-minus grade on the environment, citing various legislation that authorized toll roads through 330 miles of undeveloped land, blocked local cities from adopting clean energy goals in new construction and other measures."

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024