Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gaza 13:32 - Oct 14 with 1917 viewsNeedhamChris

In simple terms, it's just a horror show all round now isn't it.

Hamas are disgusting sub human terrorists that deserve all the retribution.

However at the same time, Israeli government clearly committing war crimes in return.

Thoughts with everyone impacted - the worst of humanity at display once again.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2023 13:35]

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

Gaza on 15:51 - Oct 14 with 1769 viewsjayessess

I think at its root what you're seeing are the dynamics common to the development of settler colonial states.

State borders expand for security -> everyday violence between frontier settlers and indigenous -> massacre of settlers by indigenous -> state borders expand for security. Most of what's taking place in Gaza is exactly what you see in the formation of Argentina, Australia, USA etc.

I don't know how you exit that dynamic (or rather, if you could point to a state where that dynamic ends in a way that leads to a safe and dignified co-existence for both parties).
[Post edited 14 Oct 2023 15:55]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Gaza on 16:54 - Oct 14 with 1658 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Gaza on 15:51 - Oct 14 by jayessess

I think at its root what you're seeing are the dynamics common to the development of settler colonial states.

State borders expand for security -> everyday violence between frontier settlers and indigenous -> massacre of settlers by indigenous -> state borders expand for security. Most of what's taking place in Gaza is exactly what you see in the formation of Argentina, Australia, USA etc.

I don't know how you exit that dynamic (or rather, if you could point to a state where that dynamic ends in a way that leads to a safe and dignified co-existence for both parties).

New Zealand and Canada are working through the implications of this. In New Zealand's case embracing Te Reo Maori language is the most visible (or audible) sign to an outsider. Lots of White, European heritage, New Zealanders are embracing this and just not being dcks about it.

Meanwhile in Australia, a Referendum has just seen the rejection of a proposal to set up an advisory board advocating for First Nations people to the Government. Some of the opposition to the proposal came from Aboriginal Rights activists because they felt it was tokenism and the Advisory Board would have no independent powers, but a lot of the opposition came from people who were being dcks about it.

Canada has territories which have a large degree of autonomy and are First Nations heritage majority, in the North, but has a long way to go in rebuilding trust with the indigenous communities in the Southern Provinces, where the major population centres are.

A large part of this is due to an appalling policy of forcing children from First Nations communities to attend Residential Schools where horrendous acts of abuse, including many murders, took place. There have also been notable scandals around attitudes of Royal Canadian Mounted Police to indigenous communities, and terrible response to crime committed against them. Most notably there are possibly hundreds of unsolved murders of Canadian First Nations women who have disappeared over the last few decades, and who never received proper investigation.

And that's one of the countries that is doing "well" at healing the wounds of the past...
Gaza on 19:04 - Oct 14 with 1546 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The past week has been a test for humanity, and humanity is failing - Martin Griffiths

https://news.un.org/en/story/2023/10/1142347

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Gaza on 19:06 - Oct 14 with 1520 viewsnoggin

Netanyahu is an evil knut. I hope he has to answer for his actions one day.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Gaza on 19:22 - Oct 14 with 1451 viewsgtsb1966

Gaza on 19:06 - Oct 14 by noggin

Netanyahu is an evil knut. I hope he has to answer for his actions one day.

and so is Ismail Abdel Salam Ahmed Haniyeh. With regards to balance you should've mentioned both
Gaza on 19:24 - Oct 14 with 1427 viewsnoggin

Gaza on 19:22 - Oct 14 by gtsb1966

and so is Ismail Abdel Salam Ahmed Haniyeh. With regards to balance you should've mentioned both

I have, several times. Keep up.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Gaza on 19:28 - Oct 14 with 1393 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Gaza on 19:24 - Oct 14 by noggin

I have, several times. Keep up.

It is somewhat bizarre how this line of attack is only ever used against those who speak out for the Palestinian cause.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Gaza on 19:35 - Oct 14 with 1336 viewsbournemouthblue

Gaza on 15:51 - Oct 14 by jayessess

Northern Ireland to some extent is perhaps the model for relative peace?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Login to get fewer ads

Gaza on 19:43 - Oct 14 with 1317 viewsibbleobble

It’s been a horror show for a long time. Israel have had a land, sea and air blockade over Palestine for nearly 20 years now effectively holding it prisoner with no prospect of growth or genuine independence. The fact that it takes death and destruction for the world to properly pay attention again is a pitiful reminder that we’re an ignorant species.
Gaza on 19:47 - Oct 14 with 1285 viewsRyorry

Can’t get the description of “hellhole” by another reporter out of my mind.

Struggling to enjoy the usually enjoyable things like the rugby or anything much - just keep thinking of those poor people caught up in the horrors.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Gaza on 19:55 - Oct 14 with 1209 viewsibbleobble

Gaza on 19:47 - Oct 14 by Ryorry

Can’t get the description of “hellhole” by another reporter out of my mind.

Struggling to enjoy the usually enjoyable things like the rugby or anything much - just keep thinking of those poor people caught up in the horrors.

Same. Felt the same when Aleppo was being levelled too.
Gaza on 22:46 - Oct 14 with 1010 viewsjayessess

Gaza on 19:35 - Oct 14 by bournemouthblue

Northern Ireland to some extent is perhaps the model for relative peace?

Thing is, one major factor in Northern Ireland is that the more numerous, more powerful group (the Unionists) are forced to partially remedy one of the underlying causes of the conflict (the Unionists' monopoly on state institutions and resources in Northern Ireland). They're forced to do that because more powerful actors (the British state, the US, EU) prevail upon them to do it. It's hard to see which outside force is willing/able to prevail on the more powerful group here.

(There's also a major difference in that by the time of the GFA, the major population transfers that shape Northern Irish history/demographics are 300+ years old. Makes displacement and return less of an issue, makes living together in the future a fact of life, more or less. In Palestine, there are still people alive today whose villages were ethnically cleansed in 1948, who still have the keys for the homes they fled on the mantlepiece.)

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024