Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A trip to The Orient 18:37 - Oct 21 with 2650 viewsJrm_72

First ever trip to Brisbane Road today, Orient vs Barnsley. Orient should have won, toothless upfront (pigott).

Main point of interest was El Mizouni. Very impressed. Looks muscular, calm, intelligent, imposing. Ran the midfield and didnt put a foot wrong. Nothing spectacular but just consistent smart choices with the ball.

I think we will be ok if he ends up being the next Morsy. Cos he's The Miz, and he's awesome!!

A trip to The Orient on 18:46 - Oct 21 with 2599 viewsfranz_tyson

I can't see El Miz making it with us. He's now used to being a starter and main man. Would he really want to be a squad player and down the pecking order?
I think he needs to be somewhere where he's starting and valued. His career with us has been too start-stop, and he's flourished away from us. Can't see him jumping ahead of our midfielders and wouldn't be surprised to see him move on permanently. It's better for his career and we could get a fee with add-ons. Can't keep these young players on the books forever.
A trip to The Orient on 18:52 - Oct 21 with 2567 viewsChurchman

I’m glad he’s impressing. With Luongo and Morsy’s age, these excellent players are not going to be with us forever. Who knows, could El Miz make the step up?

I’ve been to Brisbane Rd a few times, but only once with ITFC. A 2-0 FA Cup replay win in I think 1979 or possibly 1980. I was quite close to the pitch (everyone was - small ground) and Mariner completely bossed them.
A trip to The Orient on 18:57 - Oct 21 with 2537 viewsSwansea_Blue

I not entirely convinced we didn’t muddle up Joe Pigott with Lester Piggott! 2 decent years out of 4 with Wimbledon, but the rest of his CV is poor. He was one of our stranger signings.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A trip to The Orient on 19:17 - Oct 21 with 2481 viewsJrm_72

I can see Miz being a really useful addition to us next season. I can see Mass potentially going back to Australia, Taylor moves into the starting spot. Evans leaves, Ball leaves or goes full time in defense, Cam seems to be being used in AM spots nowadays, that leaves 3DMs unless Im forgetting anyone?

On another note, Barnsleys number 9 Sam Cosgrove I think, what a cock womble. On at 77, spends 14 mins trying to wrestle and fight anyone near him, including a blatant vinnie jones/gazza style incident, gets two yellows and off on 92. Tit
A trip to The Orient on 19:17 - Oct 21 with 2479 viewswoodbridge_blue

A trip to The Orient on 18:52 - Oct 21 by Churchman

I’m glad he’s impressing. With Luongo and Morsy’s age, these excellent players are not going to be with us forever. Who knows, could El Miz make the step up?

I’ve been to Brisbane Rd a few times, but only once with ITFC. A 2-0 FA Cup replay win in I think 1979 or possibly 1980. I was quite close to the pitch (everyone was - small ground) and Mariner completely bossed them.

It was 1979, we were the holders and went out to Liverpool I the quarter-final.

I seem to recall there was quite a bit of aggro after the game, several elements of nutters from other London clubs decided to put in an appearance and it was quite a challenge to get back to Leyton tube.
A trip to The Orient on 20:13 - Oct 21 with 2346 viewsChurchman

A trip to The Orient on 19:17 - Oct 21 by woodbridge_blue

It was 1979, we were the holders and went out to Liverpool I the quarter-final.

I seem to recall there was quite a bit of aggro after the game, several elements of nutters from other London clubs decided to put in an appearance and it was quite a challenge to get back to Leyton tube.

There was. My dad and I were in a bar afterwards not too far from the ground chatting to the Orient fans with a few ITFC, old and young, over a pint and we heard the roar down the street. The barman slammed the door, locked and bolted it shut before doing the same at the back.

The West Ham boys had turned up. A lot of them. They started trying to break the door down and it was a case of ‘arm yourselves lads’. A stool and a bottle for me, something similar for my dad and much the same for the rest who could and waited for it.

The crashing both ends of the pub continued (not too long) until blue lights and sirens heralded the arrival of the cavalry. Phew. We waited a while and got away safely.

I was staying at my parents house in Kent that night and when we got back my mum, as usual, said ‘did you have a nice evening?’ Yes, we chorused. We never let on re this stuff. It was what it was.
She never even connected the Millwall Wild West riot with us. All good!

Those were the days of great football, a brilliant team but also Stanley knives, box cutters, screwdrivers, razor blades, darts, snooker balls and chisels for a few of the nutters. Not all good.
A trip to The Orient on 18:56 - Oct 22 with 2032 viewsbluebudgie

A trip to The Orient on 20:13 - Oct 21 by Churchman

There was. My dad and I were in a bar afterwards not too far from the ground chatting to the Orient fans with a few ITFC, old and young, over a pint and we heard the roar down the street. The barman slammed the door, locked and bolted it shut before doing the same at the back.

The West Ham boys had turned up. A lot of them. They started trying to break the door down and it was a case of ‘arm yourselves lads’. A stool and a bottle for me, something similar for my dad and much the same for the rest who could and waited for it.

The crashing both ends of the pub continued (not too long) until blue lights and sirens heralded the arrival of the cavalry. Phew. We waited a while and got away safely.

I was staying at my parents house in Kent that night and when we got back my mum, as usual, said ‘did you have a nice evening?’ Yes, we chorused. We never let on re this stuff. It was what it was.

Those were the days of great football, a brilliant team but also Stanley knives, box cutters, screwdrivers, razor blades, darts, snooker balls and chisels for a few of the nutters. Not all good.

I was there too that night traveling with the Falcon lads in a minibus and it was like the alamo after, with West Ham fans giving it large, Orient fans were okay though. I was told after that this happens quite often at Orient at least it did back in the day.
A trip to The Orient on 19:05 - Oct 22 with 2014 viewsChurchman

A trip to The Orient on 18:56 - Oct 22 by bluebudgie

I was there too that night traveling with the Falcon lads in a minibus and it was like the alamo after, with West Ham fans giving it large, Orient fans were okay though. I was told after that this happens quite often at Orient at least it did back in the day.

Oh, the Orient lads were absolutely fine. We were having a beer with them and after the excitement they told us exactly the same as you you heard.

The other memory of the game was that Mick Mills played in midfield that night. He was excellent. What a good footballer he was.
Login to get fewer ads

A trip to The Orient on 21:55 - Oct 22 with 1842 viewsSharkey

A trip to The Orient on 19:05 - Oct 22 by Churchman

Oh, the Orient lads were absolutely fine. We were having a beer with them and after the excitement they told us exactly the same as you you heard.

The other memory of the game was that Mick Mills played in midfield that night. He was excellent. What a good footballer he was.

He really was a Rolls Royce of a player. Beattie and Wark usually come ahead of him in 'all-time-greatest' polls, but in many many clubs for his achievements - the number of games he played, the number of times he captained the club, and the number of times he captained his national team , - he'd be way way out in front. And then he went on and had a very decent post-script at Southampton. I think you can easily make a case that in the ITFC hall of fame he should be first name on the sheet.
A trip to The Orient on 22:45 - Oct 22 with 1788 viewsChurchman

A trip to The Orient on 21:55 - Oct 22 by Sharkey

He really was a Rolls Royce of a player. Beattie and Wark usually come ahead of him in 'all-time-greatest' polls, but in many many clubs for his achievements - the number of games he played, the number of times he captained the club, and the number of times he captained his national team , - he'd be way way out in front. And then he went on and had a very decent post-script at Southampton. I think you can easily make a case that in the ITFC hall of fame he should be first name on the sheet.

Agree with that. His record is up there for all to see.

He could play right or left back equally well - he really was two footed and did a good job in midfield when called upon. He could tackle but was also a past master of herding his player down the side where they didn’t want to go. He was rarely out of position and was a perfect foil for in particular Burley on the other side.

He scored the often forgotten second against WBA at Highbury in 1978. Mick was an unassuming sort of player. Not spectacular, not flash, just excellent every week. Didn’t take any sh£t from anyone either. Ferguson got rid of him far too soon.

A top top player, first on the team sheet for years. What a moment for him when he lifted the FA Cup. If we ever have another statue you couldn’t go too far wrong with one of him.
A trip to The Orient on 23:18 - Oct 22 with 1726 viewsSharkey

A trip to The Orient on 22:45 - Oct 22 by Churchman

Agree with that. His record is up there for all to see.

He could play right or left back equally well - he really was two footed and did a good job in midfield when called upon. He could tackle but was also a past master of herding his player down the side where they didn’t want to go. He was rarely out of position and was a perfect foil for in particular Burley on the other side.

He scored the often forgotten second against WBA at Highbury in 1978. Mick was an unassuming sort of player. Not spectacular, not flash, just excellent every week. Didn’t take any sh£t from anyone either. Ferguson got rid of him far too soon.

A top top player, first on the team sheet for years. What a moment for him when he lifted the FA Cup. If we ever have another statue you couldn’t go too far wrong with one of him.

I don't really like statues, especially if they're not larger-than-life, but a huge mural somewhere at
the ground would be fitting. And personally - and I know this would offend a few - I'd have him (with 70s moustache) in the yellow away kit!
A trip to The Orient on 08:41 - Oct 23 with 1531 viewsChurchman

A trip to The Orient on 23:18 - Oct 22 by Sharkey

I don't really like statues, especially if they're not larger-than-life, but a huge mural somewhere at
the ground would be fitting. And personally - and I know this would offend a few - I'd have him (with 70s moustache) in the yellow away kit!

Agree with that. I may be burned at the stake as a heretic, but I really liked that 1970s yellow away kit. Yellow shirt, blue shorts, yellow socks, original club badge - I’d love to see that for a few games.

Some NFL teams are doing that with ‘heritage’ kits.
A trip to The Orient on 09:11 - Oct 23 with 1484 viewsN2_Blue

A trip to The Orient on 18:57 - Oct 21 by Swansea_Blue

I not entirely convinced we didn’t muddle up Joe Pigott with Lester Piggott! 2 decent years out of 4 with Wimbledon, but the rest of his CV is poor. He was one of our stranger signings.

I said this at the time. I saw him a few times in the flesh and was never impressed. Was a strange signing. He was free but the wage we paid him to get him here was ridiculous for a player that had never played at a particularly good level or shown much other than having a purple patch of a season for AFC Wimbledon.

Wish him well, but he was never ever the standard of player that should play for ITFC even in league 1 and the wage, well he was a very lucky boy!

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

A trip to The Orient on 09:33 - Oct 23 with 1447 viewsgainsboroughblue

A trip to The Orient on 23:18 - Oct 22 by Sharkey

There would be a statue of Mills at 90% of grounds in this country had he had the career with them, as he did with us.

Just shows how spoilt we were for choice when choosing who has one.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

A trip to The Orient on 16:59 - Oct 23 with 1267 viewsBiGDonnie

A trip to The Orient on 20:13 - Oct 21 by Churchman

Quality post. You and your old man would have had em.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

A trip to The Orient on 19:07 - Oct 23 with 1213 viewsChurchman

A trip to The Orient on 16:59 - Oct 23 by BiGDonnie

Quality post. You and your old man would have had em.

Yeah, right 😃. We’d have got a right trampling more like.

My dad loved all that. Bit of a nutter really. He actually managed to get a Police Caution, when he was about 80, for trying to run down a lollipop lady.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2023 19:08]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024