Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your occasional reminder here that PRP... 10:07 - Dec 15 with 1502 viewsBlueBadger

...was always more interested in how he came across than doing any actual work here.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23989043.ipswich-town-v-norwich-city-paul-lambert-m

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 10:20 - Dec 15 with 1430 viewsWeWereZombies

Slightly unfair, he as good as admits that public relations was part of his job and he wasn't afraid to use it. Some interesting comments later in that article and, reading between the lines, revealing analysis of the Marcus Evans malaise. He is too offhand about where Town and Nodge are now but he does see the seriousness of the derby and is not one of those to look upon it as a small affair.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 10:27 - Dec 15 with 1400 viewsBlueBadger

Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 10:20 - Dec 15 by WeWereZombies

Slightly unfair, he as good as admits that public relations was part of his job and he wasn't afraid to use it. Some interesting comments later in that article and, reading between the lines, revealing analysis of the Marcus Evans malaise. He is too offhand about where Town and Nodge are now but he does see the seriousness of the derby and is not one of those to look upon it as a small affair.

Trouble is, PR was the only part of his job he bothered with. Had he actually bothered with some tactics, motivation and coaching we might have put up more of a fight that season and be better placed to stay the course the following one.
He was only interested in the Evans situation if was in danger of making HIM look bad.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2023 10:29]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 10:56 - Dec 15 with 1315 viewsWoolfenthen

For me the worst manager we have ever had on many levels, only person who made me make peace with Roy Keane that's how much I dislike him. Not just his lack of managerial ability but also his lack of respect to others that made him so unlikeable. Never ever should we employ a manager again called Paul.
Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 10:57 - Dec 15 with 1308 viewsheavyweight

What a cock.
Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 11:22 - Dec 15 with 1255 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

This confirms what we knew, he did it on purpose because he had to do a stunt to prove to us he was Ipswich, and that he didn't think we could win the game by playing football, even though we had drawn the game earlier the season with pretty much the same players... at 1-0 we could have come back but he sacrificed the result for his own benefit. He probably should have been fined by the club for that, but I don't know if Marcus Evans even knew we had a rival club.

Outside of that what he says is true, there was nothing here under Evans that anyone could do anything with, Mick made it work because for all his faults he knew how to work on a shoestring and get points on the board, however everyone else who had some success prior in Keane (Sunderland), Jewell (Bradford and Derby), Lambert (Norwich), Cook (Portsmouth and Wigan) failed with Evans at the helm, obviously Cook couldn't do anything more with the structure and team Lambert had, in fact we regressed under Cook with players downing tools even before the new owners came in. The club was rotten. Hurst was the only one who had no real success (aside from some non-league stuff) before he was appointed and was very much the cheap option that helped downgrade the squad and lessen the financial burden on the owner. The one consistent factor was Evans in all of that. Keane is not much liked here, but reading his book and you can see why it was a mess, even at the beginning, never a single sit down meeting between the management, Clegg and Evans, not offering enough wages to players willing to sign that Keane wanted, and then not discussing transfer fees for signings (like Priskin) and spending way over the odds of what Keane would have paid for them, the only football guy in that set up, it read like a mess, and I doubt any manager who have succeeded working that way.

For me I can make peace with those managers now, having looked back at what an absolute mess Evans was to work for, it was his failure, we didn't have a structure, facilities or a budget to succeed in either the Championship or League One. In fact the Ipswich job killed the careers of Keane, Jewell and Lambert. Keane did go on to be a much respected coach and had some success there, those three never got a managerial job again after Evans!

Coming back to Paul Lambert, he had a decent run as a manager during his career, even if it was not amazing, he would have been a better appointment after McCarthy than Hurst as he would have probably kept some of the better players and would have done enough to keep us up. He was one of the few British players to make a go of it in Europe at the time, was a good international for Scotland and a legend with Celtic. He should be proud of that, I have no real issue with him bar that derby PR.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2023 12:06]
grrrrrrr on 11:43 - Dec 15 with 1210 viewsDyland

“On paper, Norwich had miles better players than us, miles better. Daniel (Farke) had a good side at that point. Player-for-player they were better. So I knew I had to provoke something to try and get a reaction from everybody. I had to get a spark. That’s what I tried to do because you try and win big games like that whatever way you can."

Yet we still lost 3-0 ffs.

He makes an interesting point about his budgie side though, and how he had little to do with the double promotion except (by implication) choosing the players. Objectively, it was a good achievement. I'm scarred by that Thursday night PR game though. Jesus...

COYFB (please)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 11:47 - Dec 15 with 1187 viewsJackNorthStand

Which ever manager we had in under Evans at that time they would have achieved nothing. The club was rotting away. Paul Lambert did seem to understand that huge changes needed to be back throughout the club. His With his Norwich connections he was never going to be accepted unless he had immediate success, which apart from the first 7 games of our first year in league 1, he never got anywhere near.

He didn't help himself in interviews either '' I don't feel pressure at Ipswich I have played for Celtic and Dortmund in champions league games...''

All in all a bad appointment and it was never going to work out. Goes to show how out of touch Evans was with our club and fan base.
Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 11:57 - Dec 15 with 1169 viewsBlueBadger

Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 10:57 - Dec 15 by heavyweight

What a cock.

Bit much, I'm only posting an EADT link.

Login to get fewer ads

Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 11:58 - Dec 15 with 1156 viewsBlueBadger

Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 11:22 - Dec 15 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

This confirms what we knew, he did it on purpose because he had to do a stunt to prove to us he was Ipswich, and that he didn't think we could win the game by playing football, even though we had drawn the game earlier the season with pretty much the same players... at 1-0 we could have come back but he sacrificed the result for his own benefit. He probably should have been fined by the club for that, but I don't know if Marcus Evans even knew we had a rival club.

Outside of that what he says is true, there was nothing here under Evans that anyone could do anything with, Mick made it work because for all his faults he knew how to work on a shoestring and get points on the board, however everyone else who had some success prior in Keane (Sunderland), Jewell (Bradford and Derby), Lambert (Norwich), Cook (Portsmouth and Wigan) failed with Evans at the helm, obviously Cook couldn't do anything more with the structure and team Lambert had, in fact we regressed under Cook with players downing tools even before the new owners came in. The club was rotten. Hurst was the only one who had no real success (aside from some non-league stuff) before he was appointed and was very much the cheap option that helped downgrade the squad and lessen the financial burden on the owner. The one consistent factor was Evans in all of that. Keane is not much liked here, but reading his book and you can see why it was a mess, even at the beginning, never a single sit down meeting between the management, Clegg and Evans, not offering enough wages to players willing to sign that Keane wanted, and then not discussing transfer fees for signings (like Priskin) and spending way over the odds of what Keane would have paid for them, the only football guy in that set up, it read like a mess, and I doubt any manager who have succeeded working that way.

For me I can make peace with those managers now, having looked back at what an absolute mess Evans was to work for, it was his failure, we didn't have a structure, facilities or a budget to succeed in either the Championship or League One. In fact the Ipswich job killed the careers of Keane, Jewell and Lambert. Keane did go on to be a much respected coach and had some success there, those three never got a managerial job again after Evans!

Coming back to Paul Lambert, he had a decent run as a manager during his career, even if it was not amazing, he would have been a better appointment after McCarthy than Hurst as he would have probably kept some of the better players and would have done enough to keep us up. He was one of the few British players to make a go of it in Europe at the time, was a good international for Scotland and a legend with Celtic. He should be proud of that, I have no real issue with him bar that derby PR.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2023 12:06]

Lambert would have been an awful appointment regardless of when he came in. He came in as a busted flush and a fraud and he left as a busted flush and a fraud.

Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 12:08 - Dec 15 with 1104 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 11:58 - Dec 15 by BlueBadger

Lambert would have been an awful appointment regardless of when he came in. He came in as a busted flush and a fraud and he left as a busted flush and a fraud.

I don't think he would have relegated us and we wouldn't have done anything bar stay up and be a bit more resilient with slightly better recruitment. He wouldn't have taken us up though but I don't think Sir Alex would have been able to take Ipswich up under Evans!
Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 12:28 - Dec 15 with 1050 viewsBlueBadger

Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 12:08 - Dec 15 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I don't think he would have relegated us and we wouldn't have done anything bar stay up and be a bit more resilient with slightly better recruitment. He wouldn't have taken us up though but I don't think Sir Alex would have been able to take Ipswich up under Evans!

He would have totally relegated us. Mick kept us up(and intermittently challenging for the playoffs) through a combination of 'pragmatic' tactics, sound coaching and good motivation.

Lambert wasn't interested in doing any of that and would have relegated us.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2023 12:34]

Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 13:02 - Dec 15 with 976 viewsjontysnut

I didn't know he'd been at massive clubs. He never mentioned it at the time.
Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 18:24 - Dec 15 with 828 viewsPhilTWTD

Not sure I believe a word of it. Seemed the other way around, that there was a concerted attempt to wind him up, which worked.
Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 18:39 - Dec 15 with 788 viewsDubtractor

Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 18:24 - Dec 15 by PhilTWTD

Not sure I believe a word of it. Seemed the other way around, that there was a concerted attempt to wind him up, which worked.

I hope you're not implying that PRP was full of sh1t Phil?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 20:17 - Dec 15 with 712 viewsNthsuffolkblue

So they did the double over us scoring 9 goals as they won back-to-back promotions to the Premier League. That sounds like a benchmark to me. COYB. This has been a long time coming.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 20:35 - Dec 15 with 672 viewsJimmy86

Your occasional reminder here that PRP... on 11:58 - Dec 15 by BlueBadger

Ultimately though, was Lambert not right about the structure, or more lack of it, at the club under Evans? Think he had that spot on, regardless of his failings as a manager at town... Least he came out and said it.. Mick probably thought it, but never said anything to rock the boat..

The one good thing that game changer have done, apart from appointing KMck of course, is to sort out the off field side of the football club, it's now a properly run club, whereas under Evans it wasn't and never would have been.. and Lambert was right to call that out..
[Post edited 15 Dec 2023 21:21]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024