Lambert: Three Wanted and Targets Identified But Things Not Moving Quickly Enough
Thursday, 25th Jul 2019 15:29
Town boss Paul Lambert says he’s identified three potential permanent signings he wants to add to his squad but admits that movement on bringing players in “probably don’t go as quick” as he would like.
Lambert currently has two centre-halves on trial, former Lincoln man James Wilson and ex-Walsall defender Jon Guthrie, both of whom were involved in today’s training session on the Portman Road pitch.
“The two of them have done well, James has been here a bit longer,” Lambert said when asked about the duo.
“We need to sign a centre-half. Whether that’s one of the lads here or whatever, we need to look at that area. As I’ve said before, we still need a bit of strength in some areas.”
Reflecting further on how many players he needs to bring in, he added: “I would reckon about three at least to come in and we’ve identified lads, so it’s over to [owner] Marcus [Evans] and [general manager of football operations] Lee [O’Neill] to try and get them in.”
Might those additions be loans? “No, the three lads that I’ve identified wouldn’t be loans, it’s over to the club now.”
Having said he would like his signings made early in the summer, is he now becoming frustrated? “Things annoy me, yes, but that’s part and parcel of football.
"As I’ve said before, it’s a brilliant club with a terrific fanbase behind it. Things probably don’t go as quick as I want to them to.”
Asked whether that’s something he’s found at Town or at clubs in generally, Lambert paused before picking his words carefully.
“They don’t exactly move massively quick, you know? But as I said before it’s a brilliant club, great support behind it,” he continued.
“You’ve even seen today, the club is starting to get a generation of young fans into the club.
“The football club needs the town without a doubt and the town needs the club. I think the place on that side of it has gone really, really well, season tickets sales [approaching the 12,000 mark] have gone incredibly well.
“Everything structure-wise is starting to get a base. The Community Trust will start to get going. But ultimately the team is really, really important for everybody to bounce off each other. As I said, we’ve identified guys, whether they come I don’t know.”
Lambert says he’s hopeful of adding to his squad prior to the season opener at Burton a week on Saturday.
“I would hope so, but if it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen, but we need a wee bit of strength,” he added.
Earlier in the week the Blues were linked with a loan move for Birmingham right-back Josh Cogley, a report which we understand to be wide of the mark.
“We’ve had loads of people thrown at us, not just right-backs, there have been loads of guys thrown at us,” Lambert said when asked about the 23-year-old.
“You just see who you think is the best, but there’s loads of players, ones that I’ve identified that I think maybe could come in and help us.
“It’s over to Marcus and Lee to go and [get the deals sorted]. I’m involved a little bit obviously, who I think can come and help us. The rest of the stuff, it’s over to the owner.”
Lambert also confirmed that in addition to any signings he makes before the season starts Janoi Donacien could come into his thoughts for a centre-back role against Burton with skipper Luke Chambers suspended and Toto Nsiala injured.
“Yes, he was a centre-back at Villa for us, he’s done well at right-back,” he continued. “I’ll see between now and next Saturday what we’ll try and do.”
Please report offensive, libellous or inappropriate posts by using the links provided.
|ForeverBlueSince1996 added 15:31 - Jul 25|
Have to feel sorry for Lambert everyone moaning about no signings but how can he sign people with no money? If someone is a free agent this late in pre season there is a reason for it
|JackSted added 15:33 - Jul 25|
what a shock i totally wasnt especting this im literally crying and shaking right now
|positivity added 15:34 - Jul 25|
hope it's not quibbling over details by us, the failed, protacted signing of tilt was a big negative from last season.
also hope we've learnt from last season's late sales of waggy & garner, very destabilizing...
|martin587 added 15:51 - Jul 25|
It’s obvious to me that AJ will move on as PL has spoken so openly about it.(shame,but that’s life).
I just cannot understand why it is taking so long to get in a good solid CB.We were all aware of the fact our defence was terrible last season and it was a known fact PL wanted to bring in players.So what is the stumbling block now.Surely there are enough defenders about to able to find one that is suitable. Maybe I’m wrong in saying this but is it MR.Evans who is delaying things.Just hope I’m wrong but one does wonder.🙉
|Carberry added 15:53 - Jul 25|
Did you mention what a great club with fantastic support we are? Yes, well done Paul.
|corfu72 added 15:59 - Jul 25|
Martin,I think your correct in your assumption.Sure many others think the same.We shall see.
|JackSted added 16:13 - Jul 25|
SheptonMalletBlue: cant believe you would say something so offensive to me like that im literally crying right now you should already know by now i identify as a nonbinary male who crossfits and vapes £1 asda juice
|Whymarkmariner added 16:15 - Jul 25|
What we definitely don't want are clubs coming in for players a few days prior to the window closing, we sell and have no chance of getting anyone in, as with previous seasons. But this may well be the case as every other club seems to know we are and have been for many seasons a selling club. can just see the scenario, QPR just before the deadline offer £750k, Evans accepts and we bid for another player, club rejects offer, we up the offer to an acceptable level, club accepts but player can't agree terms. We miss out and are short of players in crucial position. Season doesn't go as hoped, January window opens, sign a couple of has been's to keep the natives quiet, yet another season wasted. Hope not, but it's all getting to familiar.
|SamWhiteUK added 16:19 - Jul 25|
JackSted you should have asked your future self
|pennblue added 16:22 - Jul 25|
I do hope Lambert just walks when Evans fails to deliver. I have had enough of Evan's hiding in the background letting the managers take the flack for poor results.
|AYACCA added 16:24 - Jul 25|
In other words - Marcus is a useless owner
|kuyski added 16:27 - Jul 25|
Bring back Pellington and Bury's captain(names forgot),one more striker, one more midfield (if Judge left) job done.
Common the Owner, give some money to spend.
|midastouch added 16:37 - Jul 25|
MARCUS EVANS LIMITED COMPANY SEEMS TO HAVE VERY LIMITED FUNDS, AT LEAST FOR US!
|TWBlue added 16:38 - Jul 25|
I still think Will Keane might well end up here. Understand he has been busy getting fit all summer but will clearly be behind everyone else in terms of match fitness if that did happen. A risk though considering his fitness record and no mention (that I can remember) of any forwards in connection with us all summer!
|BeattiesBackPocket added 16:40 - Jul 25|
Rabbit so you think this is ok? You guys want to praise the owner for taking us to championship challengers to league one and now when we need to bounce back this is happening. It’s obvious how frustrated he is and choosing his words yet another manager who’s biting his tongue until made to leave or leaves himself and you wonder EHY judge wants to leave same reason everyone else did last season they see there’s no ambition from the owner, we won’t pay competitive wages or any kind of fee even though we’ve made over two million on sell on fees that were not even budgeted for!! Come on see the fact Evans is not interested anymore
|DifferentGravy added 16:41 - Jul 25|
I dont like it any more than the rest of you but Evans is not going to spend money on transfers. He may try to tempt freebies with improved wages but thats about it. If any of our young player(s) show particular promise, he will sell them at the end of the season for a good profit. Only way we are going to get out of this mess is if someone comes in and offers to take over from Evans OR Norwood + a handful of the youngsters fulfill their potential and carry us back to the championship.
|mow_the_lawn added 16:49 - Jul 25|
I think it’s delayed as they were planning on moving Bart on and now have less wages available. At least we got Norwood in, best business we’ve done in a while. Anything else this window is a bonus really.
|Trac70 added 16:58 - Jul 25|
I think PL is already starting to get p#ssed off with the way the club is run!! He's tried to remain upbeat and positive but I think the interview today summed it all up. Long pauses and awkward laughs tells me ME and LoN ain't delivering the goods. With the outgoings, incomings and injury list I fear for us this season. I really hope I'm wrong!!
|Pilgrimblue added 16:59 - Jul 25|
I don't know what some of you are on about! Dealing with agents etc is a nightmare so I don't think this has anything to do with ME. Has he said that he's not funding new players? No he hasn't!
Nor has PL said that either. Probably players are getting all sorts of offers, I mean we're not the only club looking. With the season starting soon and the window not yet closing I guess some will hold on for best deal etc. There are limits for every player and we don't want to go down same route as Hurst, paying over the odds for players that aren't worth it. just need to calm down and wait.
|mrshallisfit added 17:10 - Jul 25|
How naive are you pilgrim blue?
|jas0999 added 17:40 - Jul 25|
This is no surprise. I’m pleased we aren’t going after loans, but that’s usually MEs preference.
It was very important we did our business early but that’s never going to happen under Evans. He usually quibbles over a few pounds and leaves most deals until the last minute - presumably in an attempt to save a month or two wages.
|57blue added 17:56 - Jul 25|
Having created a "feel good factor" out of a relegation season and having subsequently generated an increase in season ticket sales the club has failed its supporters by slipping back into its old ways this close season. Apart from the signing of Norwood we have seen little to whet the appetite for the coming season. I thought during the first interview that PL gave in pre season that it had dawned on him what he was up against and what the budget restrictions were going to be. All the best intentions and all the words coming out of Portman Rd have come to the sum total of two freebies and a loan. Do we I need fact start this coming season with a better squad than got us relegated ?
Whilst it is obvious that the injury to Tristan was a pure accident, surely the club can't be happy with the level of injuries. Why do we get so many? And why, having got the injuries, can't we get the players fit again. This has been going on for far too long. It can't all be bad luck.
You need to login in order to post your comments
Blogs 270 bloggers
Ipswich Town Polls