Former Owner Evans Eyeing Move For Championship Club
Thursday, 9th Dec 2021 22:05
TWTD understands former Blues owner Marcus Evans is eyeing Championship clubs Huddersfield Town, QPR and Derby.
Evans sold the Blues to Gamechanger 20 Ltd in April for around £40 million after 14 years in charge at Portman Road, while writing off the club’s near-£100 million debt.
The 58-year-old, who retained a small stake in Gamechanger and an area of the training ground, quickly turned his attention to looking for another club and in October was linked with Derby County.
However, while it’s understood there was something in those reports and Evans has also looked at QPR, a move for the Terriers is the most likely of the three.
We understand Evans recently watched the West Yorkshire side, who are currently 11th in the Championship, with discussions believed to be ongoing.
While the Terriers themselves aren’t in administration and are trading as normal, a number of chairman Phil Hodgkinson’s other businesses were placed in administration at the start of last month.
In 2019 Hodgkinson bought a 75 per cent stake in Huddersfield from previous chairman Dean Hoyle, who retained the remaining 25 per cent. This was funded via deferred payments with Hoyle still be owed a substantial sum.
Photo: Matchday Images
Please report offensive, libellous or inappropriate posts by using the links provided.
|stocktractor added 22:11 - Dec 9|
The dullest man ever to buy the dullest club..only to be outdone by us hiring the dullest manager in Harris
|Woolfenthen added 22:23 - Dec 9|
God help anyone who ends up with this buffoon, also tells us all how much a fan he really was
|blues1 added 22:26 - Dec 9|
Stocktractor. What are you on about? Since when have we hired Harris? Not even any proof he's in the running. Just a " believed to be interested", and betting companies making him favourite. The 4th manager in a few days to hold that position. Yet the club unlikely to even have started interviewing yet, as only began sorting through the applicants yesterday. So why talk rubbish
|wkj added 22:26 - Dec 9|
Watch him succeed too. I think we're cursed.
|brad548ye added 22:31 - Dec 9|
You’d think after his experience at Ipswich he wouldn’t be interested. There’s obviously some aspect to owning a football club that benefits the rest of his group of businesses very much financially, whether that be taxes or similar.
|stocktractor added 22:31 - Dec 9|
Blues1 this has been in on the go for a few weeks
|MickMillsTash added 22:55 - Dec 9|
Evans seems to make every mistake there was to make at Ipswich
If he has learnt from them he might do well at Huddersfield
|Gforce added 22:58 - Dec 9|
Stocktractor.......I really hope your wrong.
|blueboy1981 added 23:07 - Dec 9|
Don’t be too Smug people -,you may just end up eating your own words.
Remember - he who laughs last, invariably laughs longest … !!!
|churchmans added 23:11 - Dec 9|
Huddersfield fans wont know what's hit them
|bazza added 23:14 - Dec 9|
If he does, just goes to show he’s Only in it for the money, and no town fan. I want to say I hope it goes worse than his time at town, but I wouldn’t wish it on any other club. Blokes a w#nker.
|istanblue added 23:28 - Dec 9|
The kiss of death. They'll be in League One within a couple of years most likely.
|ArnieM added 01:24 - Dec 10|
God help whoever he takes over ….
|hyperbrit added 01:47 - Dec 10|
Evan's epitomizes the decline of football into a business venture (aka tax write off) to subsidize his "wine,women and song" ticket touting scam. Town have learned much but he has learned nothing.
|Juggsy added 04:03 - Dec 10|
5 years in he addresses his new fans with an open letter detailing how they will move up out of league 2 following a 5 point plan implemented by his puppet Ian Milne.
|KernewekBlue added 08:09 - Dec 10|
Evans, the Grim Reaper of English football, off to haunt yet another group of supporters and rip the heart and soul out their club.
The man is a menace!
|NewMaldenBlue added 11:18 - Dec 10|
Buy a club using capital backed by one's established companies at 1% say, paying of the club's debts at 10% say, then charge the club 8% interest of the full debt.
|jong75 added 11:19 - Dec 10|
He must have done really badly financially, owning ITFC obviously. All that 6 million a year he put in to keep the club afloat, scoff, scoff. Only one person benefitted by owning ITFC and it was Marcus Evans. All the exposure his company got by having links to ITFC. Amazing that when going down to the 3rd tier, he didnt want his name on the front of the shirts.
|Barty added 11:27 - Dec 10|
R.I.P. whoever he buys
|atty added 15:21 - Dec 10|
Blues1 - just re the betting, l doubt theres much money being put on, so those odds could be pretty meaningless. I reckon l could put £50 on Pep and he’d be evens!
You need to login in order to post your comments
Blogs 285 bloggers
Ipswich Town Polls