Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Many Clouds 14:37 - Jan 28 with 9196 viewsJohnhoz

I'm not a huge racing fan, but that is so sad after such an amzing finish. Poor thing collapsed and died just after the finish

[Post edited 28 Jan 2017 14:52]

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

Many Clouds on 16:18 - Jan 29 with 1833 viewsjeera

Many Clouds on 14:12 - Jan 29 by The_Romford_Blue

What do you want me to say about it?

Horses die in racing. The percentage of deaths is tiny. That number isn't acceptable. However, it's still a tiny percentage.

That's all I'll say.

I won't click on that website as some of the info from there is probably dodgy. I've had people come to me with info on the greyhound one and I know for a fact it's exaggerated on the numbers and incorrect. People believe that info though as its suits there argument.

"info on the greyhound one and I know for a fact it's exaggerated on the numbers"

That's poor show Rommers mate. Dog homes a plenty are packed with ex-racers.

One or 2 were then confused when you suggested that homeless people's dogs ought be removed for their safety when you openly encourage dog racing.

Same with horses. You enjoy it, fine. But don't then be upset when one is driven to its death mate.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Many Clouds on 16:26 - Jan 29 with 1809 viewsblueconscience

Many Clouds on 14:12 - Jan 29 by The_Romford_Blue

What do you want me to say about it?

Horses die in racing. The percentage of deaths is tiny. That number isn't acceptable. However, it's still a tiny percentage.

That's all I'll say.

I won't click on that website as some of the info from there is probably dodgy. I've had people come to me with info on the greyhound one and I know for a fact it's exaggerated on the numbers and incorrect. People believe that info though as its suits there argument.

So a death of a race horse every 2.5 days is acceptable as it is "only a tiny percentage?

And these are only the deaths being reported to the site, there are more than likely others which haven't been reported.

It is sad what people do for money.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Many Clouds on 16:58 - Jan 29 with 1782 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Many Clouds on 16:26 - Jan 29 by blueconscience

So a death of a race horse every 2.5 days is acceptable as it is "only a tiny percentage?

And these are only the deaths being reported to the site, there are more than likely others which haven't been reported.

It is sad what people do for money.

There aren't any more not being reported. That's a lie.

And did you deliberately ignore my 'That number isn't acceptable' line in the post you directly replied to?

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Many Clouds on 17:00 - Jan 29 with 1770 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Many Clouds on 16:18 - Jan 29 by jeera

"info on the greyhound one and I know for a fact it's exaggerated on the numbers"

That's poor show Rommers mate. Dog homes a plenty are packed with ex-racers.

One or 2 were then confused when you suggested that homeless people's dogs ought be removed for their safety when you openly encourage dog racing.

Same with horses. You enjoy it, fine. But don't then be upset when one is driven to its death mate.

Yes dog homes. Homes.

We are talking about greyhounds being killed after racing. Which isn't a thing anymore even if it happened 10/15/20 years ago.

For every ownership of a greyhound or in a syndicate, a number of pounds has to be put up front that secures that greyhounds place in a home after retirement.

Many Clouds on 17:11 - Jan 29 with 1748 viewsblueconscience

Many Clouds on 16:58 - Jan 29 by The_Romford_Blue

There aren't any more not being reported. That's a lie.

And did you deliberately ignore my 'That number isn't acceptable' line in the post you directly replied to?

I didn't claim what I said to be truth, just a possibility.

And fair enough you said what you said but "However, it's still a tiny percentage" kind of undone what you said.

Anyway, Enjoy your gambling and I hope you don't get into to difficulties through addiction in the future. Known a few gamblers who regretted it later in life.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Many Clouds on 17:12 - Jan 29 with 1741 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Many Clouds on 17:11 - Jan 29 by blueconscience

I didn't claim what I said to be truth, just a possibility.

And fair enough you said what you said but "However, it's still a tiny percentage" kind of undone what you said.

Anyway, Enjoy your gambling and I hope you don't get into to difficulties through addiction in the future. Known a few gamblers who regretted it later in life.

99% of gamblers have enough control to not become addicted. 1% don't.

I am in the 99%

Have a nice day.

Many Clouds on 17:36 - Jan 29 with 1694 viewsblueconscience

Many Clouds on 17:12 - Jan 29 by The_Romford_Blue

99% of gamblers have enough control to not become addicted. 1% don't.

I am in the 99%

Have a nice day.

Good, Enjoy your Aston Martins, ferrari's, Lambo's or whatever floats your future Yacht through your winnings.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2017 17:36]

Many Clouds on 17:39 - Jan 29 with 1682 viewsitfcjoe

Many Clouds on 12:26 - Jan 29 by The_Romford_Blue

Not commenting on these threads anymore as of yesterday afternoon. Advised by somebody on here funnily enough.

There's people in this thread that have believed information that is blatantly not true:
- The whip hurting. It doesn't. Have a feel if you get the chance.
- Horses not wanting to race. It's their nature. They are pulling as they see other horses. You'll notice that when a jockey unseats, the horse continues all the way round until the other horses have stopped.
- That when they finish racing, they are killed into food. Blatant lie.

I could go on. But I won't.

"Horses not wanting to race. It's their nature."

Because they are bred to race. If you breed a dog to fight, then it will fight because it becomes a part of it's nature.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Many Clouds on 17:47 - Jan 29 with 1647 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Many Clouds on 17:36 - Jan 29 by blueconscience

Good, Enjoy your Aston Martins, ferrari's, Lambo's or whatever floats your future Yacht through your winnings.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2017 17:36]

Who said I do it for the money?

And I really don't like how you've tried to make a thread about a beloved racehorse into gambling.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2017 17:51]

Many Clouds on 17:50 - Jan 29 with 1629 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Many Clouds on 17:39 - Jan 29 by itfcjoe

"Horses not wanting to race. It's their nature."

Because they are bred to race. If you breed a dog to fight, then it will fight because it becomes a part of it's nature.

So you suggest that 14k of horses are abolished then or what? To stop the breed of racehorses entirely?

A racehorse before even being trained as a yearling runs about. That's before it has been trained.

Many Clouds on 17:52 - Jan 29 with 1613 viewsitfcjoe

Many Clouds on 17:50 - Jan 29 by The_Romford_Blue

So you suggest that 14k of horses are abolished then or what? To stop the breed of racehorses entirely?

A racehorse before even being trained as a yearling runs about. That's before it has been trained.

Where have I suggested abolishing 14k race horses?

There is a difference between running about and racing. They are bred to race, that is why they race - it's not genetics.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Many Clouds on 17:52 - Jan 29 with 1610 viewsblueconscience

Many Clouds on 17:47 - Jan 29 by The_Romford_Blue

Who said I do it for the money?

And I really don't like how you've tried to make a thread about a beloved racehorse into gambling.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2017 17:51]

Interesting, If not for the potential monetry rewards, why do you bet then?, genuine curiosity not trying to wind you up.

And I was being nice, so no need for the defensive stance

Many Clouds on 17:56 - Jan 29 with 1588 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Many Clouds on 17:52 - Jan 29 by blueconscience

Interesting, If not for the potential monetry rewards, why do you bet then?, genuine curiosity not trying to wind you up.

And I was being nice, so no need for the defensive stance

I like studying and analysing horse racing and greyhound form. Friday dogs at Romford being the best example. I'll spend 3 hours minumhk studying that card per week. That's the way to make money but making money isn't the main thing. It's all for fun.

I'll back my opinion up with money depending on how much I fancy it.

I'll stick a few quid on the football on a Saturday for fun.

That's all it is - for fun.

Many Clouds on 18:00 - Jan 29 with 1577 viewsblueconscience

Many Clouds on 17:56 - Jan 29 by The_Romford_Blue

I like studying and analysing horse racing and greyhound form. Friday dogs at Romford being the best example. I'll spend 3 hours minumhk studying that card per week. That's the way to make money but making money isn't the main thing. It's all for fun.

I'll back my opinion up with money depending on how much I fancy it.

I'll stick a few quid on the football on a Saturday for fun.

That's all it is - for fun.

Oh, I see.

So you are an upcoming racing version of the analyst bloke from baseball who the movie moneyball was about.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabermetrics

Wish I had the patience to do such things.

Many Clouds on 18:04 - Jan 29 with 1562 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Many Clouds on 18:00 - Jan 29 by blueconscience

Oh, I see.

So you are an upcoming racing version of the analyst bloke from baseball who the movie moneyball was about.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabermetrics

Wish I had the patience to do such things.

I guess to some extent

There's so much with horses and greyhounds form wise to study. I've always found it interesting. I used to do the same as a youngster many years before I could bet when I was 10.

Grade, ground, bias, weight, course form, jockeys, trainer form, future targets, recent operations, etc

And then I'll back it if I think I've found something like I believe I have for a race in March at the big festival. I stick a few quid on it every two days and have done so for a few months now already. Hopefully it wins but if not, that's fine too.

As I said, it's just a hobby.

Many Clouds on 18:10 - Jan 29 with 1536 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Many Clouds on 18:04 - Jan 29 by The_Romford_Blue

I guess to some extent

There's so much with horses and greyhounds form wise to study. I've always found it interesting. I used to do the same as a youngster many years before I could bet when I was 10.

Grade, ground, bias, weight, course form, jockeys, trainer form, future targets, recent operations, etc

And then I'll back it if I think I've found something like I believe I have for a race in March at the big festival. I stick a few quid on it every two days and have done so for a few months now already. Hopefully it wins but if not, that's fine too.

As I said, it's just a hobby.

In all seriousness - isn't Rrory looking for someone to take over her racing forum?

Poll: Best Football Song

Many Clouds on 18:04 - Jan 30 with 1454 viewsplaythewayyourfacing

Many Clouds on 18:10 - Jan 29 by RoyKeanesDog

In all seriousness - isn't Rrory looking for someone to take over her racing forum?

The BHA can confirm that Many Clouds was found to have suffered from a cardiac failure, this was the cause of his death following the race.
No underlying health issues were discovered in the autopsy.
Many Clouds had worn a heart rate monitor, provided by "EquinITy Intelligent Training" in training on November 17th 2016. EquinITy has confirmed that the data showed that the horse had no abnormalities with his heart function prior to the race.
While Many Clouds had shown symptoms of post race ataxia in the past, a syndrome characterised by loss of balance in walking following exercise, the horse had never collapsed before, the horse had shown no signs of post race ataxia or similar symptoms following the conclusion of the race on Saturday.
Tony Welsh acting chief veterinary officer for the BHA added:
"Post race ataxia and similar symptoms are linked to an increase in body temperature after exercise and can be treated by providing the horse with water.
It is not uncommon in racehorses or other sport horses. Despite some reports following the incident, there is no existing veterinary evidence which links these symptoms with racehorse fatalities, and the post mortem results have categorically proved that the symptoms exhibited by Many Clouds in the past were in no way present or associated with his sad death at Cheltenham.
The fatality rate within jump racing for horses suffering from cardiac failure is just 0.048% of runners.
The overall fatality rate within British Racing has decreased by 1/3 in the last 20 years owing to the sports significant ongoing investment in equine health and welfare.
"Sudden equine heart attacks such as these are rare. It has been known to happen to horses at rest as well as after exercise and can occur in horses which have no underlying health issues and amongst all disciplines of sport horses"
Many Clouds on 02:56 - Jan 31 with 1412 viewsRyorry

Many Clouds on 18:04 - Jan 30 by playthewayyourfacing

The BHA can confirm that Many Clouds was found to have suffered from a cardiac failure, this was the cause of his death following the race.
No underlying health issues were discovered in the autopsy.
Many Clouds had worn a heart rate monitor, provided by "EquinITy Intelligent Training" in training on November 17th 2016. EquinITy has confirmed that the data showed that the horse had no abnormalities with his heart function prior to the race.
While Many Clouds had shown symptoms of post race ataxia in the past, a syndrome characterised by loss of balance in walking following exercise, the horse had never collapsed before, the horse had shown no signs of post race ataxia or similar symptoms following the conclusion of the race on Saturday.
Tony Welsh acting chief veterinary officer for the BHA added:
"Post race ataxia and similar symptoms are linked to an increase in body temperature after exercise and can be treated by providing the horse with water.
It is not uncommon in racehorses or other sport horses. Despite some reports following the incident, there is no existing veterinary evidence which links these symptoms with racehorse fatalities, and the post mortem results have categorically proved that the symptoms exhibited by Many Clouds in the past were in no way present or associated with his sad death at Cheltenham.
The fatality rate within jump racing for horses suffering from cardiac failure is just 0.048% of runners.
The overall fatality rate within British Racing has decreased by 1/3 in the last 20 years owing to the sports significant ongoing investment in equine health and welfare.
"Sudden equine heart attacks such as these are rare. It has been known to happen to horses at rest as well as after exercise and can occur in horses which have no underlying health issues and amongst all disciplines of sport horses"

Appreciate your posting that, thanks playtheway.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Many Clouds on 04:50 - Jan 31 with 1383 viewsBenters

Many Clouds on 14:08 - Jan 29 by eireblue

The issue is, does the use of the whip make the horse perform, and does it affect the result of the race?

If the whip doesnt hurt or make a difference what is the point of the whip?

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Many Clouds on 05:16 - Jan 31 with 1372 viewsRyorry

Many Clouds on 04:50 - Jan 31 by Benters

If the whip doesnt hurt or make a difference what is the point of the whip?

In addition to what's already been said several times (why don't you just read previous answers?), the whip is also an aid to keeping a horse straight and avoiding accidents such as horses bumping/colliding with each other. Horses see whips being waved in their peripheral vision, which is why jockeys are sometimes described as having their whip in the "wrong" hand - where two horses seem to be coming close together, the jockeys should have their whips between the horses. This often means just waving the whip, not using it to actually hit the horse.

It's also used to keep momentum and rhythm going when riding out a finish, again just waving it, not actually hitting.

Many Clouds on 05:26 - Jan 31 with 1366 viewsBenters

Many Clouds on 05:16 - Jan 31 by Ryorry

In addition to what's already been said several times (why don't you just read previous answers?), the whip is also an aid to keeping a horse straight and avoiding accidents such as horses bumping/colliding with each other. Horses see whips being waved in their peripheral vision, which is why jockeys are sometimes described as having their whip in the "wrong" hand - where two horses seem to be coming close together, the jockeys should have their whips between the horses. This often means just waving the whip, not using it to actually hit the horse.

It's also used to keep momentum and rhythm going when riding out a finish, again just waving it, not actually hitting.

There was me thinking giving a horse a good thrashing makes it run faster!

Gentlybentley

Many Clouds on 05:30 - Jan 31 with 1360 viewsRyorry

Many Clouds on 05:26 - Jan 31 by Benters

There was me thinking giving a horse a good thrashing makes it run faster!

If anyone in racing hurt a horse by giving it "a good thrashing", they would immediately be banned.

Why did you downvote my thanking somebody for posting up the vet report on MC btw?

Many Clouds on 05:44 - Jan 31 with 1347 viewsBenters

Many Clouds on 05:30 - Jan 31 by Ryorry

If anyone in racing hurt a horse by giving it "a good thrashing", they would immediately be banned.

Why did you downvote my thanking somebody for posting up the vet report on MC btw?

Just returning one back at you for down votting my family history with horses.

Gentlybentley

Many Clouds on 05:58 - Jan 31 with 1346 viewsRyorry

Many Clouds on 05:44 - Jan 31 by Benters

Just returning one back at you for down votting my family history with horses.

I didn't down-vote you for that, I downvoted you for citing general riding whips, and whips of 25 years ago, which are nothing whatsoever like modern racing whips - as you would have known if you'd taken time to read previous posts or open the two links I provided.

Have always rather enjoyed/admired your family's horsy connections, as you should have remembered from our PMs of old!

Many Clouds on 06:00 - Jan 31 with 1337 viewsBenters

Many Clouds on 05:58 - Jan 31 by Ryorry

I didn't down-vote you for that, I downvoted you for citing general riding whips, and whips of 25 years ago, which are nothing whatsoever like modern racing whips - as you would have known if you'd taken time to read previous posts or open the two links I provided.

Have always rather enjoyed/admired your family's horsy connections, as you should have remembered from our PMs of old!

I did and i do .

Gentlybentley

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024