Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer clear out 10:12 - Apr 3 with 2800 viewshype313

Looks like it will be a pivitol time for our club this summer, concern for me is as much as I think Mick is going, whoever comes in will obviously want a budget, if not then we will be left with the dregs who are just desperate for a job. Anyone coming will say this squad finished 15/16/17/18th with Mick in charge, it clearly needs surgery.

For me we have Bart, Webster, Smith, Ward and McGoldrick who, given better players around them will flourish, the rest can find new clubs as far as I'm concerned as they are cleary not good enough at this level.

I haven't included any of the youngsters as none of us have really seen enough to really comment.

If we could sign Huws permanently that would be a positive, whilst players like Sears really need to move on.

Am I being harsh or realistic?
[Post edited 3 Apr 2017 10:16]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Summer clear out on 12:28 - Apr 3 with 653 views26_Paz

If we sell Bart I can not be held responsible for my actions!

The Paz Man

Summer clear out on 12:46 - Apr 3 with 630 viewsyorkshireblue

Summer clear out on 12:28 - Apr 3 by 26_Paz

If we sell Bart I can not be held responsible for my actions!

I'd be very surprised if we managed to get hold of him.

Doubt he'll get his wish and move to the Prem, but maybe one of the likely relegated clubs - perhaps Sunderland when they sell Pickford?
Summer clear out on 13:23 - Apr 3 with 610 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I won't mention players like Crowe who haven't played yet but for me..

Out of our squad I'd keep:

GK - Bart

RB - Emmanuel
RB - Spence (suprised me tbh. Been one of our better players since signing)
CB - Chambers (done well as a CB)
CB - Webster
CB - Smith
CB - Taylor
LB - Kenlock
LB - Knudsen

CM - Bishop (last chance to sort his attitude out which is bad apparently)
CM - Skuse
CM - Bru (I like bru in a 3)
CM - Dozzell
RM - Ward
LM - Rowe (looked decent at Cardiff)

ST - McGoldrick
ST - Pitman (might flourish under a new manager)
ST - Sears (might get his confidence back with a new manager)

Release/sell/place a Portman road restraining order:
GK - Gerken
CB - Berra
CB - Digby
CM - Douglas
CM - Coke
CM - Hyam
CM - McDonnell
ST - Moore
ST - Best

Of the loanees:

Keep if possible:
CM - Huws (been excellent imo)
CM - Diags (with Douglas and hyam gone, we'll need cover)
ST - Lawrence (we have no chance)

Don't re-sign:
CM - Williams
ST - Samuel (hard one with him barely playing)

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Summer clear out on 13:27 - Apr 3 with 595 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Summer clear out on 10:42 - Apr 3 by ITFC_Forever

We'll get half of that for Bart.

£2m bid and he'll be gone.

Agreed

Grim reality

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Summer clear out on 13:40 - Apr 3 with 573 viewsbontcho

I'd like to see the squad trimmed to give players like Nydam, McDonnell and Morris a realistic incentive of being near the first team. It's how our club should be run. The problem will be offloading the likes of Bru (1 year left on contract) and Sears (2 years left). I wouldn't be against selling McGoldrick or freeing up wages space by moving on Pitman. I think up front is the place we've obviously been scouting so hopefully might have something lined up but also top academies produce a lot of attacking players ready for this league that we could loan.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

Summer clear out on 13:45 - Apr 3 with 563 viewsNo9

Summer clear out on 10:14 - Apr 3 by Reuser_is_God

You're not being harsh.

However I think a major overhaul is unlikely, unless Evans is willing to spend.

I disagree, I don't believe any club in this division can carry a squad as big as the one MM has now.
It is very expensive not to say inefficient to carry the numbers Town has presently. Mr Milne has commented on it so it is pretty sure that has been handed down from on high
It also explains why the Owner has been reluctant to give MM any more cash for even more players
Summer clear out on 14:21 - Apr 3 with 525 viewschislehurstblue

Summer clear out on 13:23 - Apr 3 by The_Romford_Blue

I won't mention players like Crowe who haven't played yet but for me..

Out of our squad I'd keep:

GK - Bart

RB - Emmanuel
RB - Spence (suprised me tbh. Been one of our better players since signing)
CB - Chambers (done well as a CB)
CB - Webster
CB - Smith
CB - Taylor
LB - Kenlock
LB - Knudsen

CM - Bishop (last chance to sort his attitude out which is bad apparently)
CM - Skuse
CM - Bru (I like bru in a 3)
CM - Dozzell
RM - Ward
LM - Rowe (looked decent at Cardiff)

ST - McGoldrick
ST - Pitman (might flourish under a new manager)
ST - Sears (might get his confidence back with a new manager)

Release/sell/place a Portman road restraining order:
GK - Gerken
CB - Berra
CB - Digby
CM - Douglas
CM - Coke
CM - Hyam
CM - McDonnell
ST - Moore
ST - Best

Of the loanees:

Keep if possible:
CM - Huws (been excellent imo)
CM - Diags (with Douglas and hyam gone, we'll need cover)
ST - Lawrence (we have no chance)

Don't re-sign:
CM - Williams
ST - Samuel (hard one with him barely playing)

Concerned that we may lose Bart, Chambers and Berra over the summer and understand Skuse is unhappy as well.

Thats 3 decent defenders than add a lot of experience at this level. I am not sure given the budget we will be able to replace them like for like or even close.

Smith for me isnt up to it. Without question has a major ball up in him once a game.

We are weak in midfield. Ward runs around a lot, but isnt great. If we dont sign Huws its a weak midfield.

Up top they all potentially could be sold as none of them score or make an impact on the game enough.

Sears has been shocking for 2 seasons now and it has nothing to do with MM. Remember he was playing for Colchester before us and to be honest looks more at home at that level.

Only hope that a few of the kids can make the step up next season.
Summer clear out on 14:21 - Apr 3 with 525 viewsreusersfreekicks

Summer clear out on 10:28 - Apr 3 by Steve_M

The established squad players I definitely expect to be here next season are Webster, Smith, Ward and Knudsen, plus Kenlock and Emmanuel who have shown they are ready to be part of the squad. Any of the rest might leave but clearly not all of them will and nor should they.

Be wary of falling into the trap that players playing badly in a team low on confidence can't be good enough for this division - McAuley, Delaney and Leadbitter show that but we also miss Stephen Hunt, Paul Anderson and Jay Tabb, players who added far more than many fans realised. I think we've even missed Luke Varney in the last month, it wasn't the case when we played well in February but since then...

When we lost 5-0 at Palace just after Mick took over, Cresswell and Murphy were awful and Chambers scared of attacking the ball. They were clearly better players than that and the same goes for a lot of our squad - admittedly Drury, Martin and Reo-Coker were sh1te in that game and irredeemably sh1te thereafter.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2017 10:37]

I think you overrate the contribution of Anderson et al they were just flank players whose main job it was to defend and whose lack of creativity was compensated for by the majesty of the central strikers. Look where they went after...
Login to get fewer ads

Summer clear out on 14:39 - Apr 3 with 503 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Summer clear out on 14:21 - Apr 3 by reusersfreekicks

I think you overrate the contribution of Anderson et al they were just flank players whose main job it was to defend and whose lack of creativity was compensated for by the majesty of the central strikers. Look where they went after...

Whilst they weren't individually great players or even offered a great deal.. they did allow us to play in a manner to win matches..

Look at Leicester when they signed a load of players.. they have reverted back to the team that won the league last season and rediscovered what made them work. unfortunately we may have tried to bring in some 'better' players but we haven't found a way of making them play in a system or have a manager who is comfortable working with them.
Summer clear out on 14:43 - Apr 3 with 491 viewsSteve_M

Summer clear out on 14:39 - Apr 3 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Whilst they weren't individually great players or even offered a great deal.. they did allow us to play in a manner to win matches..

Look at Leicester when they signed a load of players.. they have reverted back to the team that won the league last season and rediscovered what made them work. unfortunately we may have tried to bring in some 'better' players but we haven't found a way of making them play in a system or have a manager who is comfortable working with them.

Yep, it was the balance in that side that worked. We've not replaced that energy - and Hyam was part of that too - and it shows a lot.

One of the biggest failings of McCarthy since about September 2015 has been shoehorning his better players into the team at the expense of balance, it was the same again with the front three on Saturday.

The same thing applies to Burley's team in 2000-01 versus the vast majority of 2001-02.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Summer clear out on 15:29 - Apr 3 with 464 viewsBlueBadger

Summer clear out on 10:28 - Apr 3 by Steve_M

The established squad players I definitely expect to be here next season are Webster, Smith, Ward and Knudsen, plus Kenlock and Emmanuel who have shown they are ready to be part of the squad. Any of the rest might leave but clearly not all of them will and nor should they.

Be wary of falling into the trap that players playing badly in a team low on confidence can't be good enough for this division - McAuley, Delaney and Leadbitter show that but we also miss Stephen Hunt, Paul Anderson and Jay Tabb, players who added far more than many fans realised. I think we've even missed Luke Varney in the last month, it wasn't the case when we played well in February but since then...

When we lost 5-0 at Palace just after Mick took over, Cresswell and Murphy were awful and Chambers scared of attacking the ball. They were clearly better players than that and the same goes for a lot of our squad - admittedly Drury, Martin and Reo-Coker were sh1te in that game and irredeemably sh1te thereafter.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2017 10:37]

The final three were pretty terrible before as well.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Summer clear out on 15:31 - Apr 3 with 458 viewsSteve_M

Summer clear out on 15:29 - Apr 3 by BlueBadger

The final three were pretty terrible before as well.

a good game for Lee Martin tended to be one where he stayed on the pitch until the end of it. Drury had a handful of good games at this level but lacked the fitness and NRC was last good about five years before he came here.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024