Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season 09:22 - May 9 with 8689 viewstextbackup

His attitude in interviews summed up what I felt many players thought also

He won't be missed

Can't wait to see smith now show MM he was the better option all along

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 14:41 - May 9 with 2007 viewsPJH

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 14:35 - May 9 by chislehurstblue

We dont have a better CB at the club currently so yes.

Smith is poor. You like him as he is youth team set up and I actually dont think you watch the games. If you do then you would understand why Smith will never be as good as Berra.

You are being sentimental thinking that an ex youth team player is better than he exactly is.

How you can say Berra lacked passion is laughable. You are either on a wind up or should probably find another sport to follow.

One of my memories of Christophe Berra from this season was his reaction to Knudsen(I think)somehow keeping a very late Derby chance out of the net to secure our (usual) win at their place.
THAT was passion.
Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 14:41 - May 9 with 2007 viewschislehurstblue

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 14:38 - May 9 by Stenvict

Would have*

We dont have any kids good enough to warrant dropping Berra, or in fact anyone in the squad to drop him.
Berra was right and some of our deluded fans need to understand we arent Barcelona.
Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 14:50 - May 9 with 1990 viewsBenters

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 14:41 - May 9 by PJH

One of my memories of Christophe Berra from this season was his reaction to Knudsen(I think)somehow keeping a very late Derby chance out of the net to secure our (usual) win at their place.
THAT was passion.

Thanks for that you owe me a pint .

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 15:36 - May 9 with 1957 viewsBluesquid

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 14:41 - May 9 by chislehurstblue

We dont have any kids good enough to warrant dropping Berra, or in fact anyone in the squad to drop him.
Berra was right and some of our deluded fans need to understand we arent Barcelona.

Don't have to be Barcelona to keep the ball down on the ground and play with some fight and spirit.
on 15:38 - May 9 with 1952 views_

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 15:36 - May 9 by Bluesquid

Don't have to be Barcelona to keep the ball down on the ground and play with some fight and spirit.

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 16:32 - May 9 with 1935 viewschislehurstblue

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 15:36 - May 9 by Bluesquid

I think we have played with fight and spirit. This squad is awful and we dug in to avoid relegation. I think you are basing your opinion on the last 3 games when no one really cared. Its the same for all teams that have nothing to play for.
Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 16:55 - May 9 with 1914 viewstheblueginger

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 13:06 - May 9 by PJH

But I don't think that Chambo is anywhere near Berra in physical strength.
Most big,strong centre forwards would overpower Chambo whereas I think Berra won a lot more of those battles than he lost.
Chambo lacks nothing in determination but physically Berra is bound to be missed.

Not so much recently. Berra notably lost his battle with Chris Wood at Elland Road in September, and doesn't have the pace at the back to deal with them sometimes.

I think Chambers and Webster will start 17/18 as the first-choice pairing.
Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 16:58 - May 9 with 1912 viewsPJH

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 16:55 - May 9 by theblueginger

Not so much recently. Berra notably lost his battle with Chris Wood at Elland Road in September, and doesn't have the pace at the back to deal with them sometimes.

I think Chambers and Webster will start 17/18 as the first-choice pairing.

He did lose the battle with Chris Wood at Elland Road but then won the rematch at Portman Road.
As it stands then Chambers and Webster are the likely first choice pairing but if Taylor is fit and is signed he would come into the equation.
Login to get fewer ads

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 17:08 - May 9 with 1904 viewsStNeotsBlue

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 09:36 - May 9 by PJH

He never was a great footballer and the only error he made on Sunday that I can remember was when he got caught in possession leading up to their second goal but he was/is a very good defender.
Not many opposition teams can score a goal if the ball is in the stands.
He kept Wood of Leeds under control for the 85 minutes or so that Wood was on the pitch at PR and few have been able to do that this season.

He did his job,defending,very well for us.

"Not many opposition team can score a goal if the ball is in the stands." Sorry to dig you out on this but I find that one of the most dispiriting comments I've ever read on here. Surely better to try and treat the ball as your friend not an enemy.

For what it's worth I think Christophe has been a decent servant for Town although at times this season has looked like his best days were behind him, I thought his 1st half display on Sunday was reminiscent of the Berra prior to THAT handball, looked very good. I wish him well.
Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 17:10 - May 9 with 1903 viewsjudespiveyg

I agree to a point. While he was the best at defending out of our CB options, probably one of the best in the league, his distribution from the back was horrendously poor for a championship defender. It made you realise how poor Scotland have become that he starts for them. Smith is a perfectly capable Championship defender, so Berra probably won't need replacing.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 17:25 - May 9 with 1895 viewstextbackup

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 14:35 - May 9 by chislehurstblue

We dont have a better CB at the club currently so yes.

Smith is poor. You like him as he is youth team set up and I actually dont think you watch the games. If you do then you would understand why Smith will never be as good as Berra.

You are being sentimental thinking that an ex youth team player is better than he exactly is.

How you can say Berra lacked passion is laughable. You are either on a wind up or should probably find another sport to follow.

Well I don't agree.

Smith got dropped like a stone by MM a season ago when he was playing far better than Berra. Anyway, doesn't matter now, Berra has gone, not our player, surely all efforts now go into supporting the lads we have left?

FWIW I think we'll be a much better team without Berra, too limited and offers nothing on the ball
[Post edited 9 May 2017 17:39]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 18:16 - May 9 with 1867 viewsRobTheMonk

As said, decent at defending. Always won his tackles and headers. If he could pass a ball he'd be playing in the prem. Unfortunately that was his downfall. Hoping Smith can step up.
Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 10:52 - May 10 with 1798 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 17:25 - May 9 by textbackup

Well I don't agree.

Smith got dropped like a stone by MM a season ago when he was playing far better than Berra. Anyway, doesn't matter now, Berra has gone, not our player, surely all efforts now go into supporting the lads we have left?

FWIW I think we'll be a much better team without Berra, too limited and offers nothing on the ball
[Post edited 9 May 2017 17:39]

Supporting the people at the club you say? Ok, you go first...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 11:20 - May 10 with 1786 viewsPJH

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 17:08 - May 9 by StNeotsBlue

"Not many opposition team can score a goal if the ball is in the stands." Sorry to dig you out on this but I find that one of the most dispiriting comments I've ever read on here. Surely better to try and treat the ball as your friend not an enemy.

For what it's worth I think Christophe has been a decent servant for Town although at times this season has looked like his best days were behind him, I thought his 1st half display on Sunday was reminiscent of the Berra prior to THAT handball, looked very good. I wish him well.

The point that I was trying to make is that Christophe Berra's main if not only job was to defend.
He was not good with the ball at his feet and on the few occasions that he tried to run with the ball he usually got caught in possession.
If it is accepted that he was there to defend then the 'art' of defending is based on keeping the ball away from your goal,hence my stating that the opposition cannot score if the ball is in the stands.
Even the great Allan Hunter's game was based on that theory.
Adam Webster,for instance,is comfortable with the ball at his feet but Christophe Berra is/was not so to protect his goal Berra was right in my view to put the ball somewhere away from the goal.
He was not good at being constructive but very good at being destructive which for a defender seems a good idea to me.
Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 11:37 - May 10 with 1773 viewshtb

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 09:57 - May 9 by PJH

But as I have said on another thread Berra is/was the only defender at ITFC that can win a physical battle against a big strong centre forward.
We will miss Berra for his physical strength more than anything else.

It has to be remembered Smith was played as the right centre back to accommodate Berra on the left which exposed Smiths weakness on the floor. He looks a lot better when played on the left, which he will be able to do with Webster or Chambers playing on the right.
Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 11:47 - May 10 with 1769 viewsPJH

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 11:37 - May 10 by htb

It has to be remembered Smith was played as the right centre back to accommodate Berra on the left which exposed Smiths weakness on the floor. He looks a lot better when played on the left, which he will be able to do with Webster or Chambers playing on the right.

Yes,but my point is that nobody currently on the books could match Berra for his ability to handle a big opposition forward.
Whoever plays centrally next season from the current squad would lose more physical battles than they win whereas Christophe won the majority of his.
That is where he will be missed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024