Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season 09:22 - May 9 with 8692 viewstextbackup

His attitude in interviews summed up what I felt many players thought also

He won't be missed

Can't wait to see smith now show MM he was the better option all along

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 09:59 - May 9 with 2843 viewsSwailsey

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 09:57 - May 9 by PJH

But as I have said on another thread Berra is/was the only defender at ITFC that can win a physical battle against a big strong centre forward.
We will miss Berra for his physical strength more than anything else.

Oh absolutely.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 09:59 - May 9 with 2843 viewstextbackup

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 09:39 - May 9 by chislehurstblue

Our best defender for some time. One of the best defenders in the league.

Not the best on the ball agreed, but if he was then he wouldnt be playing for us. Good in the air, battles, leads by example, a proper CB. Head and shoulders above Chambers, Smith and Webster.

Biggest concern now is that if Chambers or Webster get injured then we have to play Smith, who is all the things you describe about Berra. Slow, awful on the ball, a major mistake in him every game and physically weak.

We had better have another CB lined up.

Two years ago, yes. I agree.

Now? This is the problem with ITFC fans, far too sentimental, the game moves on

Smith, whilst he has things to work on, atleast has the passion for the club that Berra did not. That's obvious to see

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 10:07 - May 9 with 2833 viewsPinewoodblue

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 09:51 - May 9 by chislehurstblue

I give up - Smith isnt the answer. You need to actually go to the games or if you do go, then pay more attention.

Smithe biggest problem has been the fact he played better, out of position, on the right side of central defence than Berra, allowing Chambers to play out of position ar right back.

Or put another way Smiths biggest problem, like a lot of the team, has been being asked to play in a position, or manner, that he wasn't best suited for. aka Mick McCarthy.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 10:10 - May 9 with 2828 viewsArnieM

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 09:56 - May 9 by chislehurstblue

yes it is. Watch him play. He gets flat footed and square on when attackers get at him. He often lets the ball bounce instead of attacking the ball and his poor passing gets us into trouble.

if the ball is in the air then he is acceptable and does a job. The ball on the ground and he is awful. It appears that he lacks understanding of what to do and when and communication is an issue.

Spot on !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 10:16 - May 9 with 2814 viewsJimmy86

Berra has certainly been a decent defender for us, but as has been said is somewhat limited on the ball. He's def not a footballing centre back and he def like a hoof. When he was played on the left side of a back 3 against Lincoln he was terrible.

As a defender though, he was perhaps the best at the club. He likes a battle, but he was 1 for grappling players in the box and how he didn't give more pens away is lucky.

He never really recovered from the play off red card and his decline started last season, where he was shaky at times. This season there were times, where he was the weak link.

Best of luck to him back up in Scotland.
Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 10:46 - May 9 with 2787 viewsSuperfrans

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 09:39 - May 9 by textbackup

He got paid to do that, did he not?

He was so limited as a player that when asked to adapt in the slightest to a back 3 he looked like he'd never played the game before.

As I said, good start with us but massively disappointing in the end

I think we're just wired differently.

Have you never been thanked, praised or generally appreciated for the job you do? You're paid for it after all.

And, no, he wasn't paid to be player of the year, or one of the best defenders in the division.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 10:54 - May 9 with 2783 viewsGeoffSentence

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 09:36 - May 9 by PJH

He never was a great footballer and the only error he made on Sunday that I can remember was when he got caught in possession leading up to their second goal but he was/is a very good defender.
Not many opposition teams can score a goal if the ball is in the stands.
He kept Wood of Leeds under control for the 85 minutes or so that Wood was on the pitch at PR and few have been able to do that this season.

He did his job,defending,very well for us.

I found it surprising that he didn't give more penalties away, especially with the supposed new guidelines for corners this season. He does like a good old grapple with the opposition.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 11:02 - May 9 with 2771 viewsSomethingBlue

No, he just gave one interview - not plural - that you didn't like after taking out of context. Have some decency please: Berra was really good for us and we should wish him well.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 11:08 - May 9 with 2758 viewsSomethingBlue

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 09:59 - May 9 by textbackup

Smith, whilst he has things to work on, atleast has the passion for the club that Berra did not. That's obvious to see

What does your last paragraph even mean?!

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 12:22 - May 9 with 2712 viewsGeoffSentence

It turns out, and I had forgotten this, that he was a f'kin excellent centre forward

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 12:53 - May 9 with 2689 viewsPlums

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 09:57 - May 9 by PJH

But as I have said on another thread Berra is/was the only defender at ITFC that can win a physical battle against a big strong centre forward.
We will miss Berra for his physical strength more than anything else.

Yes, the's the older, defensive war horse that most sides need. It looks as though that's a role Chambo needs to step into. I hope he can.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 12:56 - May 9 with 2692 viewspatrickswell

I agree with you about the "We're Ipswich Town" line, that grated. I was calling for him to be dropped when he kept making all those costly errors over Christmas/New Year. Over all, though he did very well for us, and the fact that our recent free transfers haven't been anywhere near his quality has been one of the reasons, we've declined*

*Steven Taylor may prove this wrong if he ever plays more than one half of football every 6 weeks.
Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 13:06 - May 9 with 2672 viewsPJH

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 12:53 - May 9 by Plums

Yes, the's the older, defensive war horse that most sides need. It looks as though that's a role Chambo needs to step into. I hope he can.

But I don't think that Chambo is anywhere near Berra in physical strength.
Most big,strong centre forwards would overpower Chambo whereas I think Berra won a lot more of those battles than he lost.
Chambo lacks nothing in determination but physically Berra is bound to be missed.
Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 13:15 - May 9 with 2659 viewsPlums

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 13:06 - May 9 by PJH

Most big,strong centre forwards would overpower Chambo whereas I think Berra won a lot more of those battles than he lost.
Chambo lacks nothing in determination but physically Berra is bound to be missed.

I agree. Webster is big but lacks experience. Smith is good in the air but can't cover right across the back. We could be a little fragile under aerial attack. Throw Gerken into the mix, it could descend into a bit of a circus.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 13:27 - May 9 with 2637 viewsSuperfrans

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 13:15 - May 9 by Plums

I agree. Webster is big but lacks experience. Smith is good in the air but can't cover right across the back. We could be a little fragile under aerial attack. Throw Gerken into the mix, it could descend into a bit of a circus.

We have a decent defensive record over the past 2/3 seasons. Berra has been a big part of that, but we have decent strength in depth at the back - Chambers, Smith and Webster would be first choice at most Championship clubs.

It would be concern if we lost both Berra and Bart this summer though. That would be three parts of our spine since the play-off team, if you include Murphy too.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 13:35 - May 9 with 2631 viewsmonty_radio

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 13:06 - May 9 by PJH

Missed for that physical presence certainly, but for me, not missed for those extra bits of defending when the hoofed ball boomerangs back, leaving more work to be done.

On a different note, did we not have a year's further option. And are we then to take for granted that Town let go purely and simply on account of compassion? Maybe so, yet surely Mick's footballing wishes here would have counted for something.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 13:40 - May 9 with 2626 viewsBorisOrTrevor

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 09:36 - May 9 by Superfrans

How about a little gratitude for 4 seasons of service, the mainstay of our defence when we qualified for play-offs, an extremely effective Championship player, player of the season a couple of seasons back?

Eh? He gets paid for that service. As he has not shown any commitment above and beyond so why should we? He has been rubbish for at least a season as well as showing a couldn'[t care less attitude - if we really wanted to keep him then we would/could have. Good move to let him go by MM as he was not deserving of the high wages he was getting paid any longer.

BOT

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 13:50 - May 9 with 2613 viewsPJH

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 13:35 - May 9 by monty_radio

Missed for that physical presence certainly, but for me, not missed for those extra bits of defending when the hoofed ball boomerangs back, leaving more work to be done.

On a different note, did we not have a year's further option. And are we then to take for granted that Town let go purely and simply on account of compassion? Maybe so, yet surely Mick's footballing wishes here would have counted for something.

I suppose they thought that to not hold him to the further year was best for everyone overall.
He will be missed for his defensive capabilities but having given us 4 years good service I suppose it was felt that to release him was the right thing to do.
If we had enforced that further year I do not doubt that Berra would have continued to give his all but letting him go now will see him leave thinking well of the club.
on 13:57 - May 9 with 2599 views_

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 09:39 - May 9 by chislehurstblue

Our best defender for some time. One of the best defenders in the league.

Not the best on the ball agreed, but if he was then he wouldnt be playing for us. Good in the air, battles, leads by example, a proper CB. Head and shoulders above Chambers, Smith and Webster.

Biggest concern now is that if Chambers or Webster get injured then we have to play Smith, who is all the things you describe about Berra. Slow, awful on the ball, a major mistake in him every game and physically weak.

We had better have another CB lined up.

on 14:02 - May 9 with 2584 views_

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 10:07 - May 9 by Pinewoodblue

Smithe biggest problem has been the fact he played better, out of position, on the right side of central defence than Berra, allowing Chambers to play out of position ar right back.

Or put another way Smiths biggest problem, like a lot of the team, has been being asked to play in a position, or manner, that he wasn't best suited for. aka Mick McCarthy.

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 14:17 - May 9 with 2556 viewsBluesquid

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 09:29 - May 9 by textbackup

For me he is the typical MM player, limited to one roll, that roll being getting in the way, offered very little else in last two seasons. Not sure that's offensive, heard very little praise for him in last two seasons. If I'm incorrect then fair play

Did well to start but gone massively downhill. Only my opinion

Yeah, i agree with that.
Would of been interesting to see him perhaps develope and improve under another manager instead of being one of McCarthy's undroppables.

If some of the young un's had had game's like certains games he's had in the last 2 seasons they would of been hauled off in a flash.

We know we're not Barcelona!
Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season (n/t) on 14:20 - May 9 with 2548 viewsSwansea_Blue

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 10:54 - May 9 by GeoffSentence

I found it surprising that he didn't give more penalties away, especially with the supposed new guidelines for corners this season. He does like a good old grapple with the opposition.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 14:23 - May 9 with 2526 viewsSwansea_Blue

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 10:54 - May 9 by GeoffSentence

Apart from the first few weeks of the season, I've seen nothing to suggest refs are viewing grappling any differently to how they always have (or not seeing, as is the case).

Personally, I think Smith is too agricultural for what we should be aiming to do. Berra wil be a loss. Be interesting to see if we replace or stick with what we've got.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 14:35 - May 9 with 2501 viewschislehurstblue

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 09:59 - May 9 by textbackup

We dont have a better CB at the club currently so yes.

Smith is poor. You like him as he is youth team set up and I actually dont think you watch the games. If you do then you would understand why Smith will never be as good as Berra.

You are being sentimental thinking that an ex youth team player is better than he exactly is.

How you can say Berra lacked passion is laughable. You are either on a wind up or should probably find another sport to follow.
Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 14:38 - May 9 with 2490 viewsStenvict

Struggled to pass the ball or keep it in play all season on 14:17 - May 9 by Bluesquid

Yeah, i agree with that.
Would of been interesting to see him perhaps develope and improve under another manager instead of being one of McCarthy's undroppables.

If some of the young un's had had game's like certains games he's had in the last 2 seasons they would of been hauled off in a flash.

We know we're not Barcelona!

Would have*

Poll: What will be announced first?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024