Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws 10:13 - Jun 12 with 5045 viewswkj

When Milne comes out with a 15 point plan or whatever the gimmick from the top, it is usually met by a high degree of mockery (and rightly so) from the fans.

Youth development apparently was a big push in our latest gimmick from the MD - and landing young players to help build a squad. Now I do need to say there will be a degree of speculation that follows; however I think it is reasonable speculation.

If you ask me Huws is a player we need at ITFC to be the poster boy for this young energised 72 slide PowerPoint presentation which the brass revealed last season or so. He is young, he is good, and he by far and large showed a willingness and desire to be here.

Much was said about us not paying all his wages, which suggests town has some rigid wage policy in place regarding age/squad status - however Huws was one of the better parts of last season, and for my money should have been snapped up straight away.

Why have we not? Speculation states we are trying to nickle and dime him into a contract - which is par for the course being associated with town now - however I wonder if we are trying to sign him on wages of a youth player, wages of a starting 11 player, or somewhere in between?

I am not suggesting for a second town should break their transfer ceiling willy nilly - as that will likely not end well in the long run, but if we are ambitious then for a special player surely a degree of leniency needs to be in play; especially if A- The quality of the player is prove n for us and B- His potential to improve is there; I would say Huws is certainly both.

So now other teams are sniffing around Huws, and sceptical me believes will sign him under us- why are we even dithering? If we succeed or fail to sign Huws this summer will be the best clue on just how ambitious town are, and just how much rollox Milne and the Puppet master expect us to swallow

Surely failure to sign can only mean one of two things, he became really big for his boots and demanded silly sums, or more likely we were too concerned trying to get him on a clearance label contract while another teams were willing to pay him a more reasonable wage.

So if you ask me, Huws will be the deciding factor on whether or not Evans and Milne are actually talking shyte, or genuinely have a plan.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2017 10:18]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:18 - Jun 12 with 4990 viewscatch74

100% this.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:21 - Jun 12 with 4979 viewshoppy

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:18 - Jun 12 by catch74

100% this.

Not good enough. We should be giving 110% every time...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:23 - Jun 12 with 4960 viewswkj

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:21 - Jun 12 by hoppy

Crybaby

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:31 - Jun 12 with 4927 viewsitfcjoe

I agree with this.

Huws is/was effectively ostracised by his parent club, in the building and massively impressive.

If we can't get a deal for him done then we may as well give up - I'm sure he isn't going to be cheap, but he isn't going to be mega money and is the sort of player we need to push on with

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:36 - Jun 12 with 4865 viewsfactual_blue

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:21 - Jun 12 by hoppy

110% = the proportion of the working day graphic designers spend having lunch.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:40 - Jun 12 with 4868 viewsPhilTWTD

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:31 - Jun 12 by itfcjoe

I agree with this.

Huws is/was effectively ostracised by his parent club, in the building and massively impressive.

If we can't get a deal for him done then we may as well give up - I'm sure he isn't going to be cheap, but he isn't going to be mega money and is the sort of player we need to push on with

Not sure he's not on mega money - or at least very significant money, more than we pay here and he's got two years left on his contract - which is likely to be the sticking point if it doesn't happen.

Either way, I'd expect him to take his time over finding a new club, seeing what offers come in. Certainly I'd expect his agent to tell him to do that. Still early in the summer.
Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:45 - Jun 12 with 4832 viewsGuthrum

The club might be able to get around the wage-cap by giving Huws a decent signing-on fee.

The delay could even be down to Cardiff seeing how much they can get for a player who is still in contract and for whom they paid money only a year ago. Perhaps they're now even undecided as to whether to let him go.

But it will be bl00dy disappointing if we fail to sign him.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:50 - Jun 12 with 4810 viewsSWGF

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:40 - Jun 12 by PhilTWTD

Not sure he's not on mega money - or at least very significant money, more than we pay here and he's got two years left on his contract - which is likely to be the sticking point if it doesn't happen.

Either way, I'd expect him to take his time over finding a new club, seeing what offers come in. Certainly I'd expect his agent to tell him to do that. Still early in the summer.

You mean he's getting paid the going rate for a 23yr old goal-scoring Championship central midfielder?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Login to get fewer ads

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:53 - Jun 12 with 4791 viewsPhilTWTD

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:50 - Jun 12 by SWGF

You mean he's getting paid the going rate for a 23yr old goal-scoring Championship central midfielder?

Getting paid what's probably the going rate for a Championship side with parachute payments.
Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:58 - Jun 12 with 4764 viewsElderGrizzly

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:53 - Jun 12 by PhilTWTD

Getting paid what's probably the going rate for a Championship side with parachute payments.

Indeed. Moved from PL to 2 different sides who at the time were paying parachute payment inflated wages.

About £20k a week was being reported wasn't it, which is nearly 100% more than we pay?
Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 11:01 - Jun 12 with 4757 viewsPhilTWTD

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:58 - Jun 12 by ElderGrizzly

Indeed. Moved from PL to 2 different sides who at the time were paying parachute payment inflated wages.

About £20k a week was being reported wasn't it, which is nearly 100% more than we pay?

That's pretty much what I was told, slightly below that, but you can see why it's not quite such an easy deal to get done.
Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 11:03 - Jun 12 with 4739 viewsitfcjoe

What are Cardiff going to do for the next 2 years when they aren't receiving parachute payments and he is still contracted to them?!

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 11:05 - Jun 12 with 4719 viewsblueconscience

It is not just parachute clubs paying these "reasonable" wages though, so unless we can compete with championship clubs without parachute payments, we might as well just accept the only way the club will go is down.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2017 11:09]

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 11:09 - Jun 12 with 4687 viewsBlueNomad

How do you know we are dithering?
Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 11:09 - Jun 12 with 4687 viewsPhilTWTD

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 11:03 - Jun 12 by itfcjoe

What are Cardiff going to do for the next 2 years when they aren't receiving parachute payments and he is still contracted to them?!

Have they not got another year? I think they'll offload him whatever, but that doesn't mean he's not on very significant money by our standards, or the standards of most clubs without parachute payments.
Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 11:15 - Jun 12 with 4648 viewswkj

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 11:09 - Jun 12 by BlueNomad

How do you know we are dithering?

As stated in the OP there was some speculation involved, and the speculation is fueld by the only news weve had regarding Huws is other teams are interested.

Crybaby

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 11:20 - Jun 12 with 4607 viewsElderGrizzly

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 11:15 - Jun 12 by wkj

As stated in the OP there was some speculation involved, and the speculation is fueld by the only news weve had regarding Huws is other teams are interested.

Maybe we should be pleased if we beat other clubs to a player for a change? Would stop some on here shouting that we only get 'rejects'
Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 11:45 - Jun 12 with 4527 viewsitfcjoe

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 11:09 - Jun 12 by PhilTWTD

Have they not got another year? I think they'll offload him whatever, but that doesn't mean he's not on very significant money by our standards, or the standards of most clubs without parachute payments.

If we can't afford a player like that then what is the point? Especially one of an age where he should be able to increase in value - I appreciate he is currently outside our structure but what can we hope to achieve with this?

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 11:49 - Jun 12 with 4506 viewstaximan

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 11:20 - Jun 12 by ElderGrizzly

Maybe we should be pleased if we beat other clubs to a player for a change? Would stop some on here shouting that we only get 'rejects'

i like the idea of us beating other clubs to sign players, its often a good benchmark of a players ability if other clubs are interested

failure to sign huws would speak volumes as to where the club is at imo
Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 12:26 - Jun 12 with 4433 viewsdavblue

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 10:31 - Jun 12 by itfcjoe

I agree with this.

He's the type we should be spending 1 to 2 million on as he might be a sell able asset in the future.
Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 13:07 - Jun 12 with 4343 viewswkj

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 12:26 - Jun 12 by davblue

He's the type we should be spending 1 to 2 million on as he might be a sell able asset in the future.

Exactly, i mean, to me this seems like a low risk investment- as much as it would be great to financially hav emore Tyrone Mings come along - it just isn't going to happen.

Im not one those who feels that spending money on fees means they are better players- but I do feel that Ipswich should be serious about entertaining the idea of a fee for Huws if Reading are expecting one, as he so har has proven himself to us.

I was always under the impression he would be allowed to leave to come to us for relitively little, but we probably added a bit of value to his price tage last year now, so who knows

Crybaby

Our Ambition: If we fail to land Huws on 13:18 - Jun 12 with 4310 viewseireblue

"Surely failure to sign can only mean one of two things, he became really big for his boots and demanded silly sums, or more likely we were too concerned trying to get him on a clearance label contract while another teams were willing to pay him a more reasonable wage."

The fallacy in that argument is if "silly sums"="reasonable wage" at club with parachute payments.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024