Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Orwell Bridge 19:14 - Jun 18 with 17585 viewsbluesimon

I can't believe that the new MP wants to scrap the newly proposed bridge across the Orwell.

What idiot would turn away 100m worth of investment into their town?
http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/petition-will-not-change-my-mind-on-orwell-riv

His arguments do not make sense, as surely it will will help to ease congestion in the town centre by giving some an alternative route and help join up the waterfront with the town by making the star lane system less busy.

It's designed by Foster so would look great as well.

Anyway if anyone wants to sign the petition it can be found here...

https://www.change.org/p/sandy-martin-mp-parliament-uk-save-the-upper-orwell-cro
New Orwell Bridge on 19:17 - Jun 18 with 11109 viewsJ2BLUE

Isn't it to redirect the funds to the northern bypass?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

New Orwell Bridge on 19:33 - Jun 18 with 11043 viewsBackToRussia

I was happy about the plans but I can see his point too - would it be practical or is it more because it seems impressive that the enthusiasm has come.

They're cutting bus services but adding a new road bridge - surely he's right that basic stuff should be fixed before you go for big projects.

However, it seems like we're not going to get money for a northern bypass so if it's a case that in rejecting this we're left with nothing then perhaps it's better to take what we can get - investment follows investment....

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

New Orwell Bridge on 19:35 - Jun 18 with 11025 viewsbluesimon

New Orwell Bridge on 19:17 - Jun 18 by J2BLUE

Nope. The money is non-transferable. It's take it or leave it.
New Orwell Bridge on 19:36 - Jun 18 with 11010 viewsDubtractor

New Orwell Bridge on 19:33 - Jun 18 by BackToRussia

I was happy about the plans but I can see his point too - would it be practical or is it more because it seems impressive that the enthusiasm has come.

They're cutting bus services but adding a new road bridge - surely he's right that basic stuff should be fixed before you go for big projects.

However, it seems like we're not going to get money for a northern bypass so if it's a case that in rejecting this we're left with nothing then perhaps it's better to take what we can get - investment follows investment....

I think a lot of the issue is that for anyone who lives on landseer road, and all of the estates off it, the bridge would mean very high levels of extra traffic.

But yeah, probably better this than nothing at all.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

New Orwell Bridge on 19:37 - Jun 18 with 11004 viewsNo9

Building a new bridge will not help if there is no major investment in the rest of the infrastructure, it may in fact make things worse
New Orwell Bridge on 19:40 - Jun 18 with 10980 viewsbournemouthblue

New Orwell Bridge on 19:37 - Jun 18 by No9

Building a new bridge will not help if there is no major investment in the rest of the infrastructure, it may in fact make things worse

Indeed, whilst it shortens the one way system for parts of the Town

I'm not convinced he infrastructure either side of it will handle it.

If the department of transport aren't prepared to switch the money, we'll get Ben's Bridge anyway.

We have also been told that Suffolk County Council have built up a £200 million surplus which would cover a Northern Bypass quite easily. What exactly are they saving that money up for?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

New Orwell Bridge on 19:43 - Jun 18 with 10966 viewsDubtractor

New Orwell Bridge on 19:40 - Jun 18 by bournemouthblue

Indeed, whilst it shortens the one way system for parts of the Town

I'm not convinced he infrastructure either side of it will handle it.

If the department of transport aren't prepared to switch the money, we'll get Ben's Bridge anyway.

We have also been told that Suffolk County Council have built up a £200 million surplus which would cover a Northern Bypass quite easily. What exactly are they saving that money up for?

The SCC surplus has long been public knowledge.

Obviously it is prudent to keep some in the bank as contingency, but whether that amount is needed is another question.

Though I suspect a Northern bypass would cost a LOT more than £200 million.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2017 19:44]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

New Orwell Bridge on 19:47 - Jun 18 with 10924 viewsblue_oyster

Building more roads just creates more traffic. Amazing how people fail to grasp this concept.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Login to get fewer ads

New Orwell Bridge on 19:52 - Jun 18 with 10894 viewsbournemouthblue

New Orwell Bridge on 19:43 - Jun 18 by Dubtractor

The SCC surplus has long been public knowledge.

Obviously it is prudent to keep some in the bank as contingency, but whether that amount is needed is another question.

Though I suspect a Northern bypass would cost a LOT more than £200 million.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2017 19:44]

Previous quotes were around £100 million

A similar cost to Ben's Bridge

New Orwell Bridge on 19:57 - Jun 18 with 10872 viewsFreddies_Ears

I don't understand what benefit this project will provide, other than to facilitate a Landseer Road / Wherstead Road diversion when the Orwell Bridge is closed. £100m for that seems steep.

A northern bypass is a far better option as it would divert other traffic as well as act as a far better Orwell Bridge detour.

Appreciate it isnt an either / or.
New Orwell Bridge on 19:59 - Jun 18 with 10857 viewsbournemouthblue

New Orwell Bridge on 19:57 - Jun 18 by Freddies_Ears

I don't understand what benefit this project will provide, other than to facilitate a Landseer Road / Wherstead Road diversion when the Orwell Bridge is closed. £100m for that seems steep.

A northern bypass is a far better option as it would divert other traffic as well as act as a far better Orwell Bridge detour.

Appreciate it isnt an either / or.

It will also lead to development in the North of the Town which the people of Westerfield and surrounding areas don't want for obvious reasons

New Orwell Bridge on 20:02 - Jun 18 with 10835 viewsLord_Lucan

New Orwell Bridge on 19:47 - Jun 18 by blue_oyster

Building more roads just creates more traffic. Amazing how people fail to grasp this concept.

Yes I believe the same argument existed in 1930.

Contested roads cause more pollution and ensure that no one can fulfill their work.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

New Orwell Bridge on 20:05 - Jun 18 with 10823 viewsblue_oyster

New Orwell Bridge on 20:02 - Jun 18 by Lord_Lucan

Yes I believe the same argument existed in 1930.

Contested roads cause more pollution and ensure that no one can fulfill their work.

Do you have a point?

New Orwell Bridge on 20:16 - Jun 18 with 10780 viewssibrespace

New Orwell Bridge on 19:47 - Jun 18 by blue_oyster

Fact: we all use the roads, even if you don't own or drive a car. Most of the food we eat and the clothes we wear have come by Road. Of course building roads creates more traffic eventually, it's how the modern world works. This is a project that will be a catalyst for regeneration of brownfield sites around the docks creating jobs. It will also provide an alternative route to Stoke Bridge/ Star Lane gyratory without having to take a detour of 3 miles to the Orwell Bridge. Ipswich has 3 major barriers to cross town traffic.. the River Orwell to the south, the pedestrianised town centre, and Christchurch Park to the north.

We need these bridges. We also need a northern bypass to link the northern fringe to the employment areas in Martlesham, Nacton, Claydon and Felixstowe. But no MP should be turning around to the government and saying "£100m? No thanks, that was a Tory idea and we don't want it because we are Labour".
New Orwell Bridge on 20:19 - Jun 18 with 10756 viewsBackToRussia

New Orwell Bridge on 20:16 - Jun 18 by sibrespace

Fact: we all use the roads, even if you don't own or drive a car. Most of the food we eat and the clothes we wear have come by Road. Of course building roads creates more traffic eventually, it's how the modern world works. This is a project that will be a catalyst for regeneration of brownfield sites around the docks creating jobs. It will also provide an alternative route to Stoke Bridge/ Star Lane gyratory without having to take a detour of 3 miles to the Orwell Bridge. Ipswich has 3 major barriers to cross town traffic.. the River Orwell to the south, the pedestrianised town centre, and Christchurch Park to the north.

We need these bridges. We also need a northern bypass to link the northern fringe to the employment areas in Martlesham, Nacton, Claydon and Felixstowe. But no MP should be turning around to the government and saying "£100m? No thanks, that was a Tory idea and we don't want it because we are Labour".

He's not actually said that last part tho has he.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

New Orwell Bridge on 20:25 - Jun 18 with 10728 viewsDeano69

New Orwell Bridge on 19:17 - Jun 18 by J2BLUE

100m wouldn't touch the sides now. Be more like 1billion to do it now.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

New Orwell Bridge on 20:31 - Jun 18 with 10707 viewsbournemouthblue

New Orwell Bridge on 20:25 - Jun 18 by Deano69

Is that a fact or an opinion?

New Orwell Bridge on 20:44 - Jun 18 with 10650 viewsimsureazzure

New Orwell Bridge on 20:25 - Jun 18 by Deano69

Roughly 25mil a mile for dual carriageway, is the by pass going via Diss?
New Orwell Bridge on 20:47 - Jun 18 with 10640 viewswrightsrightglove

Completely agree, if it was able to be redirected to the northern bypass then fair enough but it can't. A vanity project? Maybe, but by Christ Ipswich could do with a few vanity projects! The money will end up being used on a project in bury, Norwich or Cambridge to further highten their appeal over our town. I've written to him regarding the issue (no response as yet.) Also good to hear that petitions won't change his mind....clearly not interested in hearing the opinion of people in his town.
New Orwell Bridge on 20:56 - Jun 18 with 10601 viewsDeano69

New Orwell Bridge on 20:31 - Jun 18 by bournemouthblue

Is that a fact or an opinion?

Not fact tbf, but all the compulsory land purchase and planning would be far in excess of £250m and then you have to build and maintain it.

If 100m builds a small bridge and a bit of road infrastructure can you imagine what between 10 and 20 miles with multiple junctions would cost?

Missed the opportunity 25+ years ago to do it, land is far too expensive now.

New Orwell Bridge on 20:57 - Jun 18 with 10591 viewsDeano69

New Orwell Bridge on 20:44 - Jun 18 by imsureazzure

Roughly 25mil a mile for dual carriageway, is the by pass going via Diss?

In that case the crossing they are looking at should but about 200k.

New Orwell Bridge on 21:08 - Jun 18 with 10560 viewsDissblue

I suspect he is angling for the 'Sandy Martin Northern By-pass' as he seems to think that the proposed bridge was a 'vanity project' for Ben Gummer.

Poll: if you were asked to vote in a second Brexit referendum, would you vote:

New Orwell Bridge on 21:39 - Jun 18 with 10477 viewsThe_Major

The only way I could see that bridge working on the eastern bank is if they resurrect the idea of extending Sandy Hill Lane down to the bypass, and you can't do that because Pipers Vale is in the way. The only other option is to build a new road through the oil depot on Landseer Road (think it's disused now?) and have it skirt round the edge of Gainsborough and Ravenswood to come out on Nacton Road near Ransomes. But the cost would prohibit that.

Norwich is on the verge of getting a Northern bypass as well, but the difference between the two places is that a lot of traffic leaves Norwich heading north to Cromer, Wroxham and the Broads. Whereas I suspect with one around Ipswich, you could go from Claydon to Martlesham, have junctions with Henley and Westerfield Roads, and a spur into Kesgrave.

Or, if you want an absolutely never-gonna-happen idea, how about a tunnel under the estuary between Harwich and Felixstowe?
New Orwell Bridge on 21:53 - Jun 18 with 10428 viewsbournemouthblue

New Orwell Bridge on 21:39 - Jun 18 by The_Major

The only way I could see that bridge working on the eastern bank is if they resurrect the idea of extending Sandy Hill Lane down to the bypass, and you can't do that because Pipers Vale is in the way. The only other option is to build a new road through the oil depot on Landseer Road (think it's disused now?) and have it skirt round the edge of Gainsborough and Ravenswood to come out on Nacton Road near Ransomes. But the cost would prohibit that.

Norwich is on the verge of getting a Northern bypass as well, but the difference between the two places is that a lot of traffic leaves Norwich heading north to Cromer, Wroxham and the Broads. Whereas I suspect with one around Ipswich, you could go from Claydon to Martlesham, have junctions with Henley and Westerfield Roads, and a spur into Kesgrave.

Or, if you want an absolutely never-gonna-happen idea, how about a tunnel under the estuary between Harwich and Felixstowe?

Norwich doesn't have a major container port to one side of it though, Ipswich surely needs the Northern Bypass more than Norwich?

New Orwell Bridge on 22:00 - Jun 18 with 10396 viewsblue_oyster

New Orwell Bridge on 20:16 - Jun 18 by sibrespace

You all use the roads because you are forced to, being no practical alternative.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024