Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient 00:13 - Jul 9 with 5610 viewsRyorry

Haven't seen it since first released in 1968! Just amazing, and almost half a century ahead of time, got so much right - ISS, Jupiter mission etc.

The music plays a beautiful part in it too.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 00:33 - Jul 9 with 5577 viewsfactual_blue

Which Stanley Kubrick films feature sequences shot on location in Suffolk?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 01:15 - Jul 9 with 5568 viewsBlueBadger

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 00:33 - Jul 9 by factual_blue

Which Stanley Kubrick films feature sequences shot on location in Suffolk?

Apparently, the '2001' monolith' sequence was supposed to have been shot in Norfolk, until Kubrick realised that the idea of the locals engaging with something from outside their sphere of knowledge AND being improved by it was totally ridiculous.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2017 9:55]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 01:37 - Jul 9 with 5546 viewsRyorry

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 01:15 - Jul 9 by BlueBadger

Apparently, the '2001' monolith' sequence was supposed to have been shot in Norfolk, until Kubrick realised that the idea of the locals engaging with something from outside their sphere of knowledge AND being improved by it was totally ridiculous.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2017 9:55]

Bloody computers. Kept telling everyone so, none would listen

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 02:23 - Jul 9 with 5529 viewsfeelingblue

One of the best half dozen films ever made.
It would never be made now - requires too much thinking for a modern audience.
2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 05:06 - Jul 9 with 5486 viewsRyorry

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 02:23 - Jul 9 by feelingblue

Joint top 3 for me (can't decide the order!)

The other two are Slaughterhouse Five https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse-Five_(film)

and Shooting the Past http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/523425/ (although technically it's a TV drama rather than cinema film).

Ironic that 2 of the 3 could be classified as sci-fi, a genre which I otherwise have zero interest in and tend to swerve!

It's a measure of 2001 that my eyes remained glued to every single last one of the credits until the The End. Master of Wardrobe - Hardy Amies! Music - Kachaturian, Johann Straus2, Richard Strauss, Ligeti. And half a century later, I'm still pondering over all the possible meanings of the final sequences, and still finding it all simultaneously baffling, comforting and spiritually lifting.

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 06:21 - Jul 9 with 5459 viewsSibelius8

Stanley Kubrick commissioned Alex North (an excellent film composer: e.g. Spartacus) to write the music for 2001. It was duly written and recorded. Alex North, at the film's premiere, only then discovered to his great surprise that Kubrick had used completely different music for the finished film! There are DVDs of the movie with North's music available. Fascinating.
2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 09:56 - Jul 9 with 5370 viewsBlueBadger

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 01:37 - Jul 9 by Ryorry

Bloody computers. Kept telling everyone so, none would listen

'compootas' in this context, surely?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 10:03 - Jul 9 with 5357 viewsfactual_blue

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 09:56 - Jul 9 by BlueBadger

'compootas' in this context, surely?

'Devil machine'

Login to get fewer ads

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 10:17 - Jul 9 with 5337 viewsfactual_blue

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 10:03 - Jul 9 by factual_blue

'Devil machine'

Oh - and the two Kubrick films were Barry Lyndon (Lavenham Guildhall) and Eyes Wide Shut (Elveden Hall).

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 10:35 - Jul 9 with 5311 viewsLord_Lucan

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 02:23 - Jul 9 by feelingblue

I've never seen it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 10:36 - Jul 9 with 5317 viewsStokieBlue

Great film incredibly well made and directed.

Clarke got a lot of stuff right (science fiction has a habit of predicting science pretty well), although he was way out on the timescales (probably due to the fact it was the height of the space race and vast sums of money were being spent - if it had continued he would probably have been quite accurate).

One of his more pertinent predictions was communication satellites which he predicted in a novel in 1945 - could you imagine the world without them now?

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 10:41 - Jul 9 with 5309 viewsMJallday

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 10:35 - Jul 9 by Lord_Lucan

I've never seen it.

ends a bit weirdly - but its a good film - stands the test of time.

i rewatched L4yer Cake last night - Daniel Craig was blooming excellent in that.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 10:45 - Jul 9 with 5299 viewsLord_Lucan

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 10:41 - Jul 9 by MJallday

ends a bit weirdly - but its a good film - stands the test of time.

i rewatched L4yer Cake last night - Daniel Craig was blooming excellent in that.

I like that film but it is one that the wife would never entertain watching so it's off the list.

I thought Daniel Craig was at his most excellent in Our Friends in the North.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 11:09 - Jul 9 with 5283 viewsMJallday

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 10:45 - Jul 9 by Lord_Lucan

I like that film but it is one that the wife would never entertain watching so it's off the list.

I thought Daniel Craig was at his most excellent in Our Friends in the North.

ive not seen that one. ill put it on the list

l4yer cake is very clever, it took a couple of watches to figure out how the story line actually hangs together/works. which i think is how all good films should be.

i know what you mean, mrs mj simply wont entertain some films because of the violence elements.

i feel the same about her poldark/jane austin nonsence.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 12:23 - Jul 9 with 5230 viewsLord_Lucan

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 11:09 - Jul 9 by MJallday

ive not seen that one. ill put it on the list

l4yer cake is very clever, it took a couple of watches to figure out how the story line actually hangs together/works. which i think is how all good films should be.

i know what you mean, mrs mj simply wont entertain some films because of the violence elements.

i feel the same about her poldark/jane austin nonsence.

Our friends in the north is like a nine part series going from the 60's to the then current day. It's brilliant and Gina McKee is lovely.

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 17:54 - Jul 9 with 5161 viewsRyorry

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 06:21 - Jul 9 by Sibelius8

Stanley Kubrick commissioned Alex North (an excellent film composer: e.g. Spartacus) to write the music for 2001. It was duly written and recorded. Alex North, at the film's premiere, only then discovered to his great surprise that Kubrick had used completely different music for the finished film! There are DVDs of the movie with North's music available. Fascinating.

Yes, read that on Wiki - and apparently he abandoned Frank Cordell and his score too!

At the risk of sounding a bit naff, the Wiki stuff on the production of the film really is worth reading, full of fascinating background detail.

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 19:05 - Jul 9 with 5130 viewsBent_double

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 12:23 - Jul 9 by Lord_Lucan

Our friends in the north is like a nine part series going from the 60's to the then current day. It's brilliant and Gina McKee is lovely.

Loved that series! Wasn't it the making of all of them: Daniel Craig, Mark Strong, Christopher Ecclestone and McKee? They've all go onto do great stuff since.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 19:22 - Jul 9 with 5107 viewsLord_Lucan

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 19:05 - Jul 9 by Bent_double

Loved that series! Wasn't it the making of all of them: Daniel Craig, Mark Strong, Christopher Ecclestone and McKee? They've all go onto do great stuff since.

It remains one of my favourites of all time, I could happily re watch the whole lot right now.

They were all having fair careers although Christopher Ecclestone more than the others, Daniel Craig was probably the least known - but yes, I think it acted as a bit of a springboard for most of them.

I met Donald Sumpter in The Cock and Pye just after it was aired and he recognised that it was a truly fantastic series and had particular praise for Daniel Craig.

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 19:32 - Jul 9 with 5103 viewsWeWereZombies

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 10:35 - Jul 9 by Lord_Lucan

I've never seen it.

Whilst it is true of most screenplays adapted from a book '2001' especially rewards the viewer who reads the book first as you can then concentrate on the luxurious quality of the film without puzzling about the meaning. One of the must see films (I guess that is another thread idea for the close season doldrums).

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 19:38 - Jul 9 with 5097 viewsLord_Lucan

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 19:32 - Jul 9 by WeWereZombies

Whilst it is true of most screenplays adapted from a book '2001' especially rewards the viewer who reads the book first as you can then concentrate on the luxurious quality of the film without puzzling about the meaning. One of the must see films (I guess that is another thread idea for the close season doldrums).

They said that recently on here about Zulu so I watched it and it was a load of pony.

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 21:38 - Jul 9 with 5062 viewseireblue

He definitely hit a peak, the special effects in the space film he released the year after were a bit ropey.
2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 23:11 - Jul 9 with 5019 viewsWeWereZombies

2001 A Space Odyssey on BBC2 now (started 11.15pm). Astonishingly prescient on 19:38 - Jul 9 by Lord_Lucan

They said that recently on here about Zulu so I watched it and it was a load of pony.

Honestly, 'Zulu' is a great film. You need to think about why it didn't grip you, read the wikipedia page on Rorke's Drift maybe and consider how things went after that in South Africa. Pretty crucial element of colonial history and the development of warfare that is still reverberating today.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024