Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England youth teams.... 09:27 - Jul 13 with 4653 viewsitfcjoe

....been a brilliant summer so far.

U17s - Lost in final of Euro's to Spain on penalties
U18s (with a few older players) - Won Toulon U20 tournament
U19s - In final of Euro's vs Portugal on Sunday
U20s - Won U20 World Cup
U21s - Lost in semi final on pens v Germany in Euro's

Overall record:
Played - 26
Won - 21
Draw - 5 (Won 1 on pens, lost 2 on pens)
Lost - 0
For - 56
Against - 14

The academy system is working, EPPP is producing better players. Where do they go from here though?

A number have gone abroad this summer - either on loan or permanently. There is becoming an argument that young British players are very undervalued and bringing them in on year long loans is a good bit of business so expect to see more of this in Dutch and German leagues.

Performances like this will bring the B Team question back up sooner rather than later

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

England youth teams.... on 09:30 - Jul 13 with 4636 viewshype313

What was interesting was I saw that an Chris Willock who has been with Arsenal since the age of 9 decided to move to Benfica.

Think we will start to see more of that happening where youngsters will realise that being at a big club doesn't guarantee a successful career, might even help clubs like us going forward where youngsters might feel they will get more first team opportunities at smaller clubs.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

England youth teams.... on 09:34 - Jul 13 with 4617 viewsKieran_Knows

England youth teams.... on 09:30 - Jul 13 by hype313

What was interesting was I saw that an Chris Willock who has been with Arsenal since the age of 9 decided to move to Benfica.

Think we will start to see more of that happening where youngsters will realise that being at a big club doesn't guarantee a successful career, might even help clubs like us going forward where youngsters might feel they will get more first team opportunities at smaller clubs.

Quite a few (English) Chelsea players have gone back to Vitesse for next season. Mukhtar Ali has gone permanently (after being on loan last season), with Fantaky Dabo and Charlie Colkett going on loan. Given how well Lewis Baker performed there, hopefully they can replicate his form and come back to try stake a claim at Chelsea.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

England youth teams.... on 09:35 - Jul 13 with 4619 viewsitfcjoe

England youth teams.... on 09:30 - Jul 13 by hype313

Yep, apparently he is impressing out there already and will spend pre season with first team squad which wasn't initially the plan.

Balance starting to shift back to players - someone like Dominic Solanke didn't sign a new contract at Chelsea and was frozen out for a few months but now gone to Liverpool and should get opportunities under Klopp. In comparison Loftus-Cheek wasn't frozen out and he played 30 minutes of league footy this year!

Chalobah going to Watford permanently as won't agree a new deal, and a few younger Chelsea players doing the same. A couple of other Arsenal ones too have done so.

Interesting times, will be exciting to see how it plays out

England youth teams.... on 09:56 - Jul 13 with 4586 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

It's great to see young English (and British) players make the decision to go and play football abroad. Obviously it would be better if they stayed within the British system but the chance to go and play in some great leagues and experience a different culture and league is an incredible opportunity to help develop them further.

Historically English players haven't really migrated far from our shores, but seeing them (hopefully) benefit from the European market will only be beneficial for them and ultimately the English game.. particularly as Football is one of only a few careers that you could go most places in the world and earn a living
England youth teams.... on 10:32 - Jul 13 with 4554 viewsunstableblue

Great post, and agree it's beginning to look positive. Albeit I do think Germany were a superior team to the U21s.

I also think the senior national team are beginning to show far more poise on the ball and are passing and moving more effectively, just desperately need a combatative midfielder.

I do think the influx of European managers and players into the premier league is bringing coaching techniques and styles of play that are cascading down to the youth players, and will eventually make for a successful England, as long as we keep some of the energy inherent in the English style.

Whilst at Ipswich we flounder with low energy AND limited technique - sorry couldn't help myself.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

England youth teams.... on 12:54 - Jul 13 with 4487 viewsWestSussexBlue

Our Youth teams, academy setups are some of the best without doubt.
Unfortunately as long as the Premier league and in particular the big 5/6 clubs keep paying millions for foreign talent they will always stifle emerging younger players who the majority of the time will end up at mid table side.
England youth teams.... on 12:59 - Jul 13 with 4476 viewsitfcjoe

England youth teams.... on 12:54 - Jul 13 by WestSussexBlue

Our Youth teams, academy setups are some of the best without doubt.
Unfortunately as long as the Premier league and in particular the big 5/6 clubs keep paying millions for foreign talent they will always stifle emerging younger players who the majority of the time will end up at mid table side.

It's not just the big clubs any more, the money being spent all through the league and at the top end of this one is crazy

England youth teams.... on 13:47 - Jul 13 with 4435 viewsWestSussexBlue

England youth teams.... on 12:59 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

It's not just the big clubs any more, the money being spent all through the league and at the top end of this one is crazy

That's also true.
Login to get fewer ads

England youth teams.... on 13:51 - Jul 13 with 4420 viewsElderGrizzly

England youth teams.... on 09:35 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

Yep, apparently he is impressing out there already and will spend pre season with first team squad which wasn't initially the plan.

Balance starting to shift back to players - someone like Dominic Solanke didn't sign a new contract at Chelsea and was frozen out for a few months but now gone to Liverpool and should get opportunities under Klopp. In comparison Loftus-Cheek wasn't frozen out and he played 30 minutes of league footy this year!

Chalobah going to Watford permanently as won't agree a new deal, and a few younger Chelsea players doing the same. A couple of other Arsenal ones too have done so.

Interesting times, will be exciting to see how it plays out

Is the worry not that these big clubs are hoovering up these young players and then they stagnate for a few years before they find their feet at a smaller club. Like your Chalobah to Watford example.

I guess they benefit from the great academy facilities at the likes of Chelsea, but it worries me that a lot of those players in the England ranks you mention won't play in the PL this year for any decent period of time, if at all.

I can't find the link, but the first team, top flight experience of the German U21s vs England U21s was significant wasn't it?
[Post edited 13 Jul 2017 13:52]
England youth teams.... on 13:59 - Jul 13 with 4399 viewsitfcjoe

England youth teams.... on 13:51 - Jul 13 by ElderGrizzly

Is the worry not that these big clubs are hoovering up these young players and then they stagnate for a few years before they find their feet at a smaller club. Like your Chalobah to Watford example.

I guess they benefit from the great academy facilities at the likes of Chelsea, but it worries me that a lot of those players in the England ranks you mention won't play in the PL this year for any decent period of time, if at all.

I can't find the link, but the first team, top flight experience of the German U21s vs England U21s was significant wasn't it?
[Post edited 13 Jul 2017 13:52]

I think the players, or their representatives, are getting smarter though. They aren't going to sign long deals at these big clubs without being paid big money - which should indicate they are part of first team squad.

Rumours around the Solanke deal was that he wanted £50-60k at Chelsea but signed for less than half that at Liverpool. He could have taken £30k at Chelsea but knew it meant nothing - if they are paying him £60k a week then he will be in first team squad realistically.

The system isn't right, but has been weighted heavily in clubs favour and now balance is beginning to swing back - it will take time but that market will self regulate. And the links ups with clubs like Vitesse, or the Spanish one Man City are, etc ultimately give the boys a shop window to work in as breaking through is too difficult.

England youth teams.... on 14:06 - Jul 13 with 4381 viewsITFCBlues

England youth teams.... on 13:59 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

I think the players, or their representatives, are getting smarter though. They aren't going to sign long deals at these big clubs without being paid big money - which should indicate they are part of first team squad.

Rumours around the Solanke deal was that he wanted £50-60k at Chelsea but signed for less than half that at Liverpool. He could have taken £30k at Chelsea but knew it meant nothing - if they are paying him £60k a week then he will be in first team squad realistically.

The system isn't right, but has been weighted heavily in clubs favour and now balance is beginning to swing back - it will take time but that market will self regulate. And the links ups with clubs like Vitesse, or the Spanish one Man City are, etc ultimately give the boys a shop window to work in as breaking through is too difficult.

Who do Man City have a link up with?

I hope your right about players becoming wiser. The fact that Oxford has gone on loan to the Budesliga speaks volumes really!

We have a lot of talented players that just need to play games. It'd be nice to see a successful England side again!

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

England youth teams.... on 14:10 - Jul 13 with 4368 viewstcblue

I hope a lot of EPL teams are looking at Spurs and Southampton for inspiration here.

It won't help out the likes of Chelsea hoarding the young talent initially, but it might turn the new generations heads towards those teams who bring on their youth talent.
England youth teams.... on 14:10 - Jul 13 with 4368 viewsitfcjoe

England youth teams.... on 14:06 - Jul 13 by ITFCBlues

Who do Man City have a link up with?

I hope your right about players becoming wiser. The fact that Oxford has gone on loan to the Budesliga speaks volumes really!

We have a lot of talented players that just need to play games. It'd be nice to see a successful England side again!

I think pep's brother is part owner of a team called Girona who have just come up to La Liga.

Maffeo been there last 2 years and rumours another few could go this season

England youth teams.... on 14:11 - Jul 13 with 4361 viewsKieran_Knows

England youth teams.... on 14:10 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

I think pep's brother is part owner of a team called Girona who have just come up to La Liga.

City are trying to send Jason Denayer there, but he doesn't want to go. Apparently he had everything agreed with Lyon (loan fee, wages etc), only for City to block the move and try send him to Girona instead.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

England youth teams.... on 14:11 - Jul 13 with 4358 viewsITFCBlues

England youth teams.... on 14:10 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

Nice - hopefully see a few of the young English lads go over there then!

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

England youth teams.... on 14:14 - Jul 13 with 4350 viewsitfcjoe

England youth teams.... on 14:10 - Jul 13 by tcblue

I hope a lot of EPL teams are looking at Spurs and Southampton for inspiration here.

It won't help out the likes of Chelsea hoarding the young talent initially, but it might turn the new generations heads towards those teams who bring on their youth talent.

Catch 22 - because Chelsea have the best academy - and that isn't about buying players in they develop kids superbly. 5 of the starting line up for the 19s yesterday have been at Chelsea since they were 8 or 9, as was Trev Chalobah who was injured.

So you need to go to the better academy to be the better player but leave when time is right, which can cost you some of your development time!

England youth teams.... on 14:18 - Jul 13 with 4339 viewstcblue

England youth teams.... on 14:14 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

Catch 22 - because Chelsea have the best academy - and that isn't about buying players in they develop kids superbly. 5 of the starting line up for the 19s yesterday have been at Chelsea since they were 8 or 9, as was Trev Chalobah who was injured.

So you need to go to the better academy to be the better player but leave when time is right, which can cost you some of your development time!

Very good point I hadn't considered. What makes their academy so much better? Facilities? Coaching?
England youth teams.... on 14:22 - Jul 13 with 4325 viewsitfcjoe

England youth teams.... on 14:18 - Jul 13 by tcblue

Very good point I hadn't considered. What makes their academy so much better? Facilities? Coaching?

Combination of everything you'd presume - those plus recruitment and higher standards better competitions and development journeys and all that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024