Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Owen Jones has outdone himself this time 12:27 - Jul 18 with 46016 viewsStokieBlue

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/18/austerity-cuts-life-expect

A truly stupid article.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:29 - Jul 18 with 9701 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Trying to work out if he's being satirical!!!!

The guy is an utter nob.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:30 - Jul 18 with 9686 viewsIllinoisblue

"Almost certainly". How does this stuff get published?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:35 - Jul 18 with 9665 viewsMattinLondon

Cuts in healthcare can result in poorer health for the population most needing it - therefore people aren't living as long.

Doesn't seem all that stupid to me.
Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:38 - Jul 18 with 9644 viewsElderGrizzly

It has fell in a number of other G20 countries for the first time in a decade too, including the USA. Put down to lifestyle, lack of exercise and richer foods.

I'm sure cuts do play a part, but not to the extent he is claiming
Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:40 - Jul 18 with 9641 viewschicoazul

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:30 - Jul 18 by Illinoisblue

"Almost certainly". How does this stuff get published?

To be fair he wont have written that bit.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:42 - Jul 18 with 9635 viewsStokieBlue

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:35 - Jul 18 by MattinLondon

Cuts in healthcare can result in poorer health for the population most needing it - therefore people aren't living as long.

Doesn't seem all that stupid to me.

And this is the trouble, you've gone down the poor analysis route as well and taken the soundbite at face value.

It doesn't take into account:

- People are living as long, in fact longer, just the increase in expectancy is slowing (so your last line is wrong)

- Rules of diminishing returns on medical advances

- Diet and lack there of

- Environmental factors

- It's happening all over the world in western societies

The subject is complex, he's trivalised it into a pathetic political point. There are loads of factors I've not even thought of, considered or listed above.

SB
[Post edited 18 Jul 2017 12:47]

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:46 - Jul 18 with 9613 viewsIllinoisblue

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:40 - Jul 18 by chicoazul

To be fair he wont have written that bit.

he will, as it appears in both the article and the caption

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:52 - Jul 18 with 9576 viewsDolly2.0

I can't see anything wrong with the article. He's giving an opinion but also citing evidence - and quoting ex-government adviser Sir Michael Marmot.

It seems you don't like it because it attacks the Tories.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Login to get fewer ads

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:53 - Jul 18 with 9554 viewsElderGrizzly

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:42 - Jul 18 by StokieBlue

And this is the trouble, you've gone down the poor analysis route as well and taken the soundbite at face value.

- People are living as long, in fact longer, just the increase in expectancy is slowing (so your last line is wrong)

- Diet and lack there of

- Environmental factors

The subject is complex, he's trivalised it into a pathetic political point. There are loads of factors I've not even thought of, considered or listed above.

SB

Interestingly, he hasn't publicised it on his Twitter feed this morning until just now.

He's focussed on a fundraising campaign to raise money to get Boris Johnson replaced as an MP.

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:53 - Jul 18 with 9551 viewsDolly2.0

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:38 - Jul 18 by ElderGrizzly

It has fell in a number of other G20 countries for the first time in a decade too, including the USA. Put down to lifestyle, lack of exercise and richer foods.

I'm sure cuts do play a part, but not to the extent he is claiming

Has food got richer in a decade? Can't say I've noticed it.

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:55 - Jul 18 with 9535 viewsStokieBlue

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:53 - Jul 18 by Dolly2.0

Why on earth have you down-voted my post?

It's an incredibly stupid article with a ridiculous and unsubstantiated spurious correlation.

Nothing to do with attacking the Tories, entirely to do with incredibly poor science used to make a pathetic political point which people may believe.

The fact you are defending it tells more about your willingness to defend anything criticising the Tories than me being upset that it criticises the Tories.

SB
[Post edited 18 Jul 2017 12:57]

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:55 - Jul 18 with 9527 viewsDolly2.0

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:42 - Jul 18 by StokieBlue

- Diet and lack there of

- Environmental factors

SB

Most, if not all, of those factors existed a decade ago (and more). Why are things slowing down now?

It's a reasonable question to ask.

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:56 - Jul 18 with 9512 viewschicoazul

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:46 - Jul 18 by Illinoisblue

he will, as it appears in both the article and the caption

Ah sorry, I haven't read the article only the header. Journos dont write those. I havent read the article because every time I go on the Graun website it asks me to login with a pop up so it's unreadable.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2017 12:59]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:57 - Jul 18 with 9498 viewsDolly2.0

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:55 - Jul 18 by StokieBlue

It's an incredibly stupid article with a ridiculous and unsubstantiated spurious correlation.

Nothing to do with attacking the Tories, entirely to do with incredibly poor science used to make a pathetic political point which people may believe.

The fact you are defending it tells more about your willingness to defend anything criticising the Tories than me being upset that it criticises the Tories.

SB

Because I don't agree that it's a stupid article (and have explained why elsewhere in a number of posts on the thread).

Sorry if you were hoping everyone would agree with you.

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:59 - Jul 18 with 9473 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:57 - Jul 18 by Dolly2.0

Because I don't agree that it's a stupid article (and have explained why elsewhere in a number of posts on the thread).

Sorry if you were hoping everyone would agree with you.

Even if there was a shred of truth.... it would still come back to this;

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:59 - Jul 18 with 9462 viewsElderGrizzly

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:53 - Jul 18 by Dolly2.0

Yes. More sugar, salt, fat etc due to more people eating convenience foods.

Obviously that's not everyone, but Owen has written a whole article on being "almost certain"

Life expectancy rates will always slow down eventually compared to other years due to leaps in medical advances made in the last 20 years or so becoming the norm.

He has cherry picked a few stats from a much wider report that doesn't draw the conclusion he has reached
[Post edited 18 Jul 2017 13:01]
Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:59 - Jul 18 with 9466 viewsStokieBlue

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:55 - Jul 18 by Dolly2.0

Most, if not all, of those factors existed a decade ago (and more). Why are things slowing down now?

It's a reasonable question to ask.

No, it's really not because life expectancy isn't guaranteed to always increase at an ever higher rate. It's a massively complex subject and to boil it down to a single point which happens to suit your political agenda is dumbing things down to a ridiculous level.

If you want to ask why things are slowing down can you explain why they slowed down between 2004 and 2008 under Labour?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40608256

SB

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 13:01 - Jul 18 with 9450 viewsDolly2.0

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:55 - Jul 18 by StokieBlue

SB

Re your edit - I'm not sure why it's more about my willingness to defend anything criticising the Tories than you being upset that it criticises the Tories?

After all, you were the one that posted the article.

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 13:01 - Jul 18 with 9445 viewsblue_oyster

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:59 - Jul 18 by ElderGrizzly

Obviously that's not everyone, but Owen has written a whole article on being "almost certain"

Life expectancy rates will always slow down eventually compared to other years due to leaps in medical advances made in the last 20 years or so becoming the norm.

He has cherry picked a few stats from a much wider report that doesn't draw the conclusion he has reached

One thing I've noticed is the number of people that now take a glass of water to bed with them, as they get thirsty during the night. I suspect this is wholly to do with the increased amount of unnecessary salt in food.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 13:03 - Jul 18 with 9426 viewsSteve_M

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:59 - Jul 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Even if there was a shred of truth.... it would still come back to this;

A satirical letter intended for a friend. Misjudged of course but not actually a mea culpa for a global financial crisis.

Frankly, your point is as rubbish as Jones' article given it's been seven years since Labour were in Government.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 13:04 - Jul 18 with 9414 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 13:03 - Jul 18 by Steve_M

A satirical letter intended for a friend. Misjudged of course but not actually a mea culpa for a global financial crisis.

Frankly, your point is as rubbish as Jones' article given it's been seven years since Labour were in Government.

;-)

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 13:04 - Jul 18 with 9412 viewsDolly2.0

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 12:59 - Jul 18 by ElderGrizzly

In less than a decade? Really? have you got any stats to back that up?

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 13:04 - Jul 18 with 9407 viewsElderGrizzly

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 13:01 - Jul 18 by blue_oyster

One thing I've noticed is the number of people that now take a glass of water to bed with them, as they get thirsty during the night. I suspect this is wholly to do with the increased amount of unnecessary salt in food.

How many people do you watch in their bedrooms? :)
Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 13:07 - Jul 18 with 9374 viewsElderGrizzly

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 13:04 - Jul 18 by Dolly2.0

In less than a decade? Really? have you got any stats to back that up?

Yes...

https://data.oecd.org/chart/4Tgh

You can go back 40 years or so with the data on the OECD website, but the last 10 years shows a slowing in almost every G20 country.

Bigger leaps in developing countries etc as they get better access to education, healthcare etc, but the rate begins to slow again
[Post edited 18 Jul 2017 13:10]
Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 13:07 - Jul 18 with 9380 viewsStokieBlue

Owen Jones has outdone himself this time on 13:01 - Jul 18 by Dolly2.0

Re your edit - I'm not sure why it's more about my willingness to defend anything criticising the Tories than you being upset that it criticises the Tories?

After all, you were the one that posted the article.

Because the article is indefensible.

It's cherry picking one thing out of a hugely complex issue and blaming it for the whole issue. To defend that type of pseudo-scientific analysis and the effect it will have of certain people reading the article is misguided in my opinion. You are of course free to see things however you wish.

I posted the article as an example of what I felt was a truly idiotic piece of journalism.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024