Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I know it's been pointed out before... 18:54 - Aug 20 with 4351 viewsITFCBlues

But this certainly shows the need to improve if we're to continue to win games. Had our fair share of luck in games if not in injuries!

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

I know it's been pointed out before... on 18:57 - Aug 20 with 3608 viewsJeff_winger

I dont understand the graph?
How have we managed win 4 games with both the worst attack and defence?
I know it's been pointed out before... on 18:59 - Aug 20 with 3587 viewsITFCBlues

I know it's been pointed out before... on 18:57 - Aug 20 by Jeff_winger

With a lot of luck it would seem!

I know it's been pointed out before... on 19:03 - Aug 20 with 3564 viewsVaughan8

I know it's been pointed out before... on 18:59 - Aug 20 by ITFCBlues

With a lot of luck it would seem!

Don't say that. The "only stat that counts is goals" brigade will be out
I know it's been pointed out before... on 19:06 - Aug 20 with 3542 viewsGeoffSentence

I know it's been pointed out before... on 18:57 - Aug 20 by Jeff_winger

The graph shows expected goals, based on the number of chances each team has had. Happily we have been much more clinical than the average so we have a lot more goals than expected.

I think the point of the OP is that we can't expect to keep up this incredible efficiency in front of goal so need to create more chances to keep scoring.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I know it's been pointed out before... on 19:07 - Aug 20 with 3530 viewsITFCBlues

I know it's been pointed out before... on 19:03 - Aug 20 by Vaughan8

It is. But we must improve in order to maintain this start. But who cares at present? All about grinding out wins until players return to fitness

I know it's been pointed out before... on 19:08 - Aug 20 with 3522 viewsITFCBlues

I know it's been pointed out before... on 19:06 - Aug 20 by GeoffSentence

The graph shows expected goals, based on the number of chances each team has had. Happily we have been much more clinical than the average so we have a lot more goals than expected.

I think the point of the OP is that we can't expect to keep up this incredible efficiency in front of goal so need to create more chances to keep scoring.

Quite - and also defend better and allow less chances as appears we allow a lot of chances as well!
[Post edited 20 Aug 2017 19:08]

I know it's been pointed out before... on 20:45 - Aug 20 with 3388 viewsGuthrum

I'm not sure why we can't expect to keep up something like this level of shooting efficiency.

It's all about not wasting shots, not having strikers blazing wildly off-target or soft balls straight at the 'keeper. None of McGoldrick, Waghorn or Garner seem inclined to do that. Having multiple strikers maneuvering in the box will help that by pulling defenders and goalies out of position.

Besides which, as our sick and injured midfield options come back into the team, the number of chances created is only likely to go up.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I know it's been pointed out before... on 21:05 - Aug 20 with 3329 viewsITFCBlues

I know it's been pointed out before... on 20:45 - Aug 20 by Guthrum

I'm not sure why we can't expect to keep up something like this level of shooting efficiency.

It's all about not wasting shots, not having strikers blazing wildly off-target or soft balls straight at the 'keeper. None of McGoldrick, Waghorn or Garner seem inclined to do that. Having multiple strikers maneuvering in the box will help that by pulling defenders and goalies out of position.

Besides which, as our sick and injured midfield options come back into the team, the number of chances created is only likely to go up.

I agree. It's possible. But we certainly need to improve in terms of shots against as well. I'm fairly certain we will when players return to fitness

Login to get fewer ads

I know it's been pointed out before... on 03:28 - Aug 21 with 3156 viewsIllinoisblue

Football is getting over-statted to death

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I know it's been pointed out before... on 07:28 - Aug 21 with 3075 viewstextbackup

I know it's been pointed out before... on 19:03 - Aug 20 by Vaughan8

What a strange thing to say, goals win games, so they are the only stat that matters.

Stoke vs arsenal saturday, the stats etc are massively in arsenals favour, they lost 1-0. The end

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I know it's been pointed out before... on 07:51 - Aug 21 with 3017 viewsHerbivore

I know it's been pointed out before... on 19:08 - Aug 20 by ITFCBlues

Quite - and also defend better and allow less chances as appears we allow a lot of chances as well!
[Post edited 20 Aug 2017 19:08]

Brentford had about 23 shots but they didn't carve out a single genuine clear cut chance all afternoon, just a load of shots from distance (about 20 of them) and half chances from difficult positions inside the area. We created better opportunities than them, albeit fewer of them. We defended really well despite Brentford having so many 'chances' which just highlights why graphs like that are overly simplistic.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:09 - Aug 21 with 2991 viewsSteve_M

I think the pure stats are slightly misleading as the matches I've seen have not been as one-sided as the shots on target figures suggest.

On Saturday, Brentford dominated the first 30 minutes but tended to overplay the ball rather than shoot - the low shot to Bart's right and the one that hit the bar being the only really concerning ones. Once we got into the game, they created a lot less despite a good amount of possession. Garner's ball that just didn't reach Sears and the brilliant tackle on Garner were both good chances but don't feature here for example.

And, similarly, my thoughts after Millwall.

What I really liked about last night ... by Steve_M 16 Aug 2017 13:57
Whilst we did ride out luck a little last night, it wasn't as starkly as the stats suggest Millwall had a lot of pressure, not too many shots on target either. I thought we created more opportunities last night and just failed to get shots away. The real problem was trying to keep the ball in the second half which gave Millwall much more possession.

We definitely had five on target as I'm counting Jonas's Neil Thompson style-shot.

I do think four strikers leaves us stretched in midfield and reduces the amount of possession we have, it was a lot better against Birmingham and Luton than in the last two games. When Downes came on on Saturday we had the option to recycle possession for a bit , although we then sat back a bit more.

Edit: To add that those graphs of Mayhew, obviously become a lot more useful with a greater sample size than after four games.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2017 8:11]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:28 - Aug 21 with 2923 viewsBackToRussia

Our percentage of shots on target that are goals is something like 90%, doubt we'll keep that up!

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:32 - Aug 21 with 2909 viewsMullet

I do like the replies under this tweet pointing out what utter garbage it is.

Poor guy has tried to do something illustrative and been undone by the laws of football reality it seems.

Barnsley's attack seem to be getting praised largely on one half of football against us, yet we rolled them over. "Expected goals" based on what was effectively a series of goalmouth scrambles, rebounds and putting the ball in the box is such an odd metric.

He'd be better off calling them active/efficiency of attacks and defences and playing down the goal part I guess.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:33 - Aug 21 with 2909 viewsHipsterectomy

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:28 - Aug 21 by BackToRussia

Our percentage of shots on target that are goals is something like 90%, doubt we'll keep that up!

It sounds crazy but I think the longer we keep winning, the worse it is going to be when we lose. And even if we lose 2 or 3 in a row I'm not sure how the team will respond to that.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:35 - Aug 21 with 2897 viewsReuser_is_God

How can we have a 'worse attack' when we're currently the leagues top scorers?

Utter bollox which is best ignored.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:36 - Aug 21 with 2893 viewsMullet

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:33 - Aug 21 by Hipsterectomy

It sounds crazy but I think the longer we keep winning, the worse it is going to be when we lose. And even if we lose 2 or 3 in a row I'm not sure how the team will respond to that.

All depends when it comes and what position we're in, who we play next etc.

I actually think the sooner the better in some ways. With all these players coming back after the international break, competition should be fierce. You'd hope a defeat or two means all players raise their game trying to get in the side.

Obviously winning every single game would be preferable.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:40 - Aug 21 with 2867 viewstextbackup

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:36 - Aug 21 by Mullet

All depends when it comes and what position we're in, who we play next etc.

I actually think the sooner the better in some ways. With all these players coming back after the international break, competition should be fierce. You'd hope a defeat or two means all players raise their game trying to get in the side.

Obviously winning every single game would be preferable.

Personally if we lose away it's no biggie, the inportant one I'm sure we all agree is to win home games.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:41 - Aug 21 with 2863 viewsBackToRussia

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:33 - Aug 21 by Hipsterectomy

Know where you're coming from. It was similar in 2014/5 in a way when we got to Christmas near the top and it was the second half of the season where we struggled and looked as though we didn't really know how to react as a team to get back to that level.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:41 - Aug 21 with 2858 viewsSteve_M

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:35 - Aug 21 by Reuser_is_God

I don't think it's actually a bad way to visualise football trends but this early in the season it is clearly a bit flawed.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I know it's been pointed out before... on 09:03 - Aug 21 with 2796 viewsGeoffSentence

It would be phenomenal if we could keep up a scoring rate of 9 goals for every 11 shots on target over an entire season. Unheard of even.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I know it's been pointed out before... on 09:07 - Aug 21 with 2772 viewsFreddies_Ears

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:40 - Aug 21 by textbackup

Personally if we lose away it's no biggie, the inportant one I'm sure we all agree is to win home games.

If we win our 21 remaining home games, we'll have a minimum of 75 points, plenty enough for the misery of the play-offs!!!
I know it's been pointed out before... on 09:30 - Aug 21 with 2730 viewsGuthrum

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:28 - Aug 21 by BackToRussia

Certainly it will drop below that, but it doesn't need to go anywhere near as low as last season's 29% of all shots on target going in.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I know it's been pointed out before... on 09:45 - Aug 21 with 2703 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:35 - Aug 21 by Reuser_is_God

It means that our expected goals is lower than the amount we've actually scored - so basically saying our attack is potentially worse than it has performed so far (or to put it another way - our strikers have been more clinical than the average)

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I know it's been pointed out before... on 09:49 - Aug 21 with 2693 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I know it's been pointed out before... on 08:09 - Aug 21 by Steve_M

I think the pure stats are slightly misleading as the matches I've seen have not been as one-sided as the shots on target figures suggest.

On Saturday, Brentford dominated the first 30 minutes but tended to overplay the ball rather than shoot - the low shot to Bart's right and the one that hit the bar being the only really concerning ones. Once we got into the game, they created a lot less despite a good amount of possession. Garner's ball that just didn't reach Sears and the brilliant tackle on Garner were both good chances but don't feature here for example.

And, similarly, my thoughts after Millwall.

What I really liked about last night ... by Steve_M 16 Aug 2017 13:57
Whilst we did ride out luck a little last night, it wasn't as starkly as the stats suggest Millwall had a lot of pressure, not too many shots on target either. I thought we created more opportunities last night and just failed to get shots away. The real problem was trying to keep the ball in the second half which gave Millwall much more possession.

We definitely had five on target as I'm counting Jonas's Neil Thompson style-shot.

I do think four strikers leaves us stretched in midfield and reduces the amount of possession we have, it was a lot better against Birmingham and Luton than in the last two games. When Downes came on on Saturday we had the option to recycle possession for a bit , although we then sat back a bit more.

Edit: To add that those graphs of Mayhew, obviously become a lot more useful with a greater sample size than after four games.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2017 8:11]

Expected goals takes into account the quality of chances, however you're right that it doesn't account for 'nearly' chances and the like

It's definitely worth bearing in mind though - most teams tend to revert to the mean as far as EG is concerned and it's been proven a very good indicator of performance over a longer period of time. There have of course been a couple of notable exceptions however (hello Leicester), and obviously as far as we're concerned you'd hope that we will continue to improve as players return to fitness - which makes the fact we've started the season so clinically all the better

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024