Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car Buying Advice 14:21 - Sep 4 with 4516 viewstwtd17

Hello all, looking for a bit of advice on buying a replacement car for my faithful Toyota Avensis.

I have a budget of around 12-14k cash and I after some deliberation I am thinking either a BWM 3 Series or Audi A4/5. Would anyone have any experience or advice or maybe a completely different recommendation......

With the current debate around the evil of diesel I was leaning toward a petrol model, even though they appear quite thin on the ground.

Any thoughts and advice welcome. Cheers all.

COYB!
Car Buying Advice on 14:23 - Sep 4 with 4495 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

BWM.. Can't say that I'm familiar with that brand

I would throw a Hyundai i40 into that mix just as a bit of an alternative with more gadgets & gizmos for the money than the ones you listed
Car Buying Advice on 14:39 - Sep 4 with 4466 viewsWBBlue18

Car Buying Advice on 14:23 - Sep 4 by King_of_Portman_Rd

I would throw a Hyundai i40 into that mix just as a bit of an alternative with more gadgets & gizmos for the money than the ones you listed

I prefer Audi to BMWs having had both in the past (A4 Avant and 5 series). That said, I agree that if it was my own money and not company cars, the Hyundai is a much more practical option and I'd go this route. I drove an i30 the other week and was VERY impressed!
Car Buying Advice on 14:42 - Sep 4 with 4456 viewshype313

I would go Audi over BM all day long.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Car Buying Advice on 14:52 - Sep 4 with 4438 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

BMW over Audi every time. Better cars and MUCH better after sales service. VAG just about sums up their group as they're all utter untrustworthy c_unts.

Also consider a Mazda 6 though
Car Buying Advice on 14:55 - Sep 4 with 4435 viewsSWGF

Had an A6 and currently got a 5-series.

Prefer the BMW, as had a few issues with the Audi but the BMW has just been spot-on from the beginning, including just having cruised 1200 miles down to France and back in the last week, and it was an absolute dream.

Although if you get a decent version of either, they should be OK. Plenty of reviews around to check on the various specs/options.

Saying that, I am beginning to look at something a bit bigger and am leaning towards the Q7 but I do like the look of the A5 but it'll be too cramped.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Car Buying Advice on 15:00 - Sep 4 with 4411 viewsITFC_Forever

Car Buying Advice on 14:23 - Sep 4 by King_of_Portman_Rd

I very nearly went for an i40 when I last changed cars, but went for a Passat estate instead - the decision literally came down to such a minor thing as to whether it had a DAB radio or not.

Considering Audi / BMW next time, but won't be for another year or two yet.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Car Buying Advice on 15:01 - Sep 4 with 4406 viewsusm

Had a petrol A4 and now got a diesel A5.

Id go Audi over BMW every time, spec is much higher and BMWs are now regarded as Reps cars, so if youre a salesman, sure get the Beemer, otherwise its the Audi.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Car Buying Advice on 15:05 - Sep 4 with 4398 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Buy an old style Peugeot diesel, pre computers, for less than £1000, treat yourself to a holiday with up to 6k of the money saved and send me the other 6k to me in appreciation of my sage advice and never having to experience 'limp mode'. Job done !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

Car Buying Advice on 15:06 - Sep 4 with 4395 viewsPendejo

Always depends on your needs; no. of doors, luggage space etc. etc. Age, Mileage etc.

Personally I don't think I've driven an Audi since the 90s but I am a big fan of BMW
£12-14k probably buys a decent older one or a ropey newer one. BMW 5 series for me please [if I didn't live in London that is]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Car Buying Advice on 15:06 - Sep 4 with 4391 viewstcblue

Car Buying Advice on 15:05 - Sep 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

Buy an old style Peugeot diesel, pre computers, for less than £1000, treat yourself to a holiday with up to 6k of the money saved and send me the other 6k to me in appreciation of my sage advice and never having to experience 'limp mode'. Job done !

OP would have to experience "get out and wait for the AA man" mode though
Car Buying Advice on 15:10 - Sep 4 with 4381 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Car Buying Advice on 15:06 - Sep 4 by tcblue

OP would have to experience "get out and wait for the AA man" mode though

They just keep on going........in my experience. As far as second hand market is concerned people will be begging for pre computer cars soon, in fact they already are.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Car Buying Advice on 15:12 - Sep 4 with 4372 viewstcblue

Car Buying Advice on 15:10 - Sep 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

They just keep on going........in my experience. As far as second hand market is concerned people will be begging for pre computer cars soon, in fact they already are.

I want one with a hole in the driver side footwell so I can Flintstones it if Skynet decides to take over my car
Car Buying Advice on 15:18 - Sep 4 with 4356 viewsStokieBlue

I wouldn't get another Audi. Had an A3 and A4 Avant SE Sline and had quite a few issues with the A4. The insides are lovely of course but costs a bomb when even the smallest thing goes wrong.

Better off with a nice KIA or a hybrid - I think the days of being proud of because it's an Audi/BMW are long gone. Nobody cares.

I would go down the route of a different manufacturer myself.

SB
[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 15:20]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Car Buying Advice on 15:25 - Sep 4 with 4336 viewsColin_Viljoen

Jaguar all the way, still turns heads over the reps cars (BMW & Audi). 2nd hand can be bought for less money than the others & you'll will have tons more comfort & style & "IT'S A JAGUAR!!
Car Buying Advice on 15:30 - Sep 4 with 4327 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Car Buying Advice on 15:18 - Sep 4 by StokieBlue

I wouldn't get another Audi. Had an A3 and A4 Avant SE Sline and had quite a few issues with the A4. The insides are lovely of course but costs a bomb when even the smallest thing goes wrong.

Better off with a nice KIA or a hybrid - I think the days of being proud of because it's an Audi/BMW are long gone. Nobody cares.

I would go down the route of a different manufacturer myself.

SB
[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 15:20]

Having been half-heartedly looking at cars myself (plan on changing in the new year) I couldn't believe the level of the manufacturers that I would have previously avoided. The fact that you see so many Kia's, Hyundai's, Skoda's Mazda's etc. is not just because they had been setting their prices low, it's becuase they are good cars that are generally packed to a higher spec than their equivalent VW or the like.

I can't see myself driving an Audi, BMW etc. unless it's a company car as it doesn't seem to make that much financial sense for the average commuter
Car Buying Advice on 15:58 - Sep 4 with 4290 viewsNewcyBlue

My used car buying guide that I have posted on other threads:

-Open the bonnet when you get there. Have a feel of the radiator hose. If it is hot they may have run the car up to cover up cold start problems, engine noises, etc
-Look for any oil on the engine block, pull the dipstick out and check the colour of the oil. Open the oil filler cap and see if there is any sludge / mayonnaise looking stuff. The mayonnaise stuff may just be condensation, or it may be something more sinister.
-When starting the car look for excessive exhaust fumes, different coloured smoke means different things.
-Bodywork, is it all the same colour. Does any of the paint look like orange peel? The orange peel effect is from a poor paintjob, and could be a sign of a previous accident.
-Are there any differing gaps between any of the panels? Does it look the same on both sides?
-Are the door and window seals in tact?
-Check to see all warning lights come on when turning the ignition on, ensure they extinguish upon starting the engine.
-Does the clutch feel ok? Is there any noise at any point of depressing the clutch pedal?
-When driving is there any excessive play in the steering? Do the brakes work adequately? Are there any unusual noises? Does the steering wobble at speed or under heavy braking? When braking does the car pull to one side?
-Check all equipment is working, lights, wipers, washers, ventilation, windows, mirrors, central locking.
-Check the wheels and tyres. Are locking wheel nuts fitted? If so is the locking wheel nut key with the car?. Check the tread on the tyres. Check the sidewall for bulges
-Paperwork, check service history. Anything 60k plus and you want to be checking if the cambelt has been changed. Check the V5C for spelling mistakes, does the address match the one of the seller. Is the seller the registered keeper? If not, why?

Remember the DVLA MOT Check website is worth a look too. At that sort of money you want to be getting It HPI checked etc.

Drive a couple of the same car (year, engine, spec, mileage). Does one feel noticeably different? That should raise questions.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Car Buying Advice on 16:04 - Sep 4 with 4276 viewsSarge

Depends, do you drive like a c*nt?

If so then get either, it doesn't matter as you'll fit right in.
Car Buying Advice on 16:38 - Sep 4 with 4230 viewsStokieBlue

Car Buying Advice on 15:30 - Sep 4 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Having been half-heartedly looking at cars myself (plan on changing in the new year) I couldn't believe the level of the manufacturers that I would have previously avoided. The fact that you see so many Kia's, Hyundai's, Skoda's Mazda's etc. is not just because they had been setting their prices low, it's becuase they are good cars that are generally packed to a higher spec than their equivalent VW or the like.

I can't see myself driving an Audi, BMW etc. unless it's a company car as it doesn't seem to make that much financial sense for the average commuter

Hugely lower insurance brackets as well. My old Audi is still a ridiculously high bracket.

As you say, the quality of the "lesser" brands has improved vastly.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Car Buying Advice on 16:43 - Sep 4 with 4223 viewsDeano69

Just ordered my 8th consecutive BMW, every 3 years i try other cars, but none come close to the drive in a BMW I am afraid.

Having said that, I don't tend to pay cash for a car and purchase outright, I contract hire. Doesn't change my mind on loving the BEEMER

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Car Buying Advice on 16:46 - Sep 4 with 4215 viewsbluefunk

Having had (as Company cars and personal purchases) 2 Audi A4's, an A6 and a BMW 5 series and now a 4 series, you'd have to recommend BMW's ahead of Audi. They are by far the betters driving experience, the service you get at a BMW dealer is far better in my experience and although they might not be as well spec'd as the comparable Audi, they are a far better car
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024