Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were 22:37 - Sep 30 with 3885 viewspatrickswell

relegated from the Premier League in 2002. After that 6-1 win over Leicester in August 2002, we all thought there would only be another 44 games till we were there again.

It's very saddening that Burley and all those players who gave us so much to be proud of in the late 90s/early 00s performed like such melts through 2001/02 and the early part of 2002/03 and set in place the sense of stasis that sees people say with a straight face, "Upper mid-table in the Championship will do us fine this year.

Ipswich Town 6 Leicester City 1 - the winners doggy-paddle round in circles and the losers become Champions of England 14 years later.
Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 22:41 - Sep 30 with 3855 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The most criminal part of all these years was that when we had an owner in a position and willing to spend, he employed two inept morons in succession meaning both transfer funds and our best chance to get promoted were spunked.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 23:06 - Sep 30 with 3797 viewspatrickswell

Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 22:41 - Sep 30 by The_Romford_Blue

The most criminal part of all these years was that when we had an owner in a position and willing to spend, he employed two inept morons in succession meaning both transfer funds and our best chance to get promoted were spunked.

Compounded by him finally getting a manager who could get the team in position to get promotion and then choose to keep the wallet shut when a final injection of quality might have made the difference.

But you could pick any number of moments over the last 16 seasons and conclude that we've had to make a lot of our own entertainment over that time. We've become one of football's fixed and immutable points over that time - watching the arrivistes and one-off merchants zoom past us and then fall below us again, while clubs who were basket cases in the late 90s/early 00s (Stoke/West Brom/Swansea) could buy and sell us several times over nowadays. And worst of all? There's a generation of Norwich fans who've never known what it's like to lose against us.

You really could end up hating your own club if you thought about it too much over these last 700 games...
Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 02:11 - Oct 1 with 3676 viewsMinneapolis_ITFC

Promotion to the EPL in 2000 and the success of that season went in our favor as I believe they (top level club sides) weren't quite sure what to expect from us, and we caught a number of teams out. By 2001 - 02 it's fair to say they were ready for us and we weren't the surprise element as before. By comparison I look at the 1962 Championship success, two or three years thereafter the club had fallen into the old second division.

On the whole of it, and since falling away from the elite in 2002 there's been very little in the way of hope or expectation for fans of the club to indulge in. Three failed play off attempts that never reached final stage and a run in the League Cup or whatever the damn competition was recognized as at the time.

Best manager without question was Joe Royle in the time in question, the subsequent names i..e Magilton, Jewell and McCarthy could not, and have not, met with expectation and to be ruthless, Marcus Evans has set this club back considerably since his arrival. You get castigated at times for daring to say a bad word against the manager, but some will remain resolute there is no chance in hell this club will ever see premier league soccer again while the name remains in position.

Somehow I feel I'm wasting time with this but only reacting to what was read. We've no divine right to be in what league we choose but seriously, 15 / 16 years in this division now ? Been with it near every step of the way, and speak for so many when voicing it's been more than enough.
Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 06:36 - Oct 1 with 3629 viewsWestSussexBlue

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, no doubt we would do things differently but after a very successful first season in the prem which gave us a Fifth placed finish and European football back we really let the shackles off financially and went for it.
Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 06:47 - Oct 1 with 3618 viewsTractorWood

Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 06:36 - Oct 1 by WestSussexBlue

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, no doubt we would do things differently but after a very successful first season in the prem which gave us a Fifth placed finish and European football back we really let the shackles off financially and went for it.

To me we took a bit of a scatter gun approach with the transfers. Finidi and Sereni were quality but we had a philosophy that got us to 5th. Also we got hugely distracted by the Uefa cup and needlessly extending the ground, which meant we gave the appearance of slightly resting on our laurels in the league.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and to be fair we were planning for the long term in the Prem with some ambition beyond survival.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 14:52 - Oct 1 with 3390 viewspatrickswell

Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 06:47 - Oct 1 by TractorWood

To me we took a bit of a scatter gun approach with the transfers. Finidi and Sereni were quality but we had a philosophy that got us to 5th. Also we got hugely distracted by the Uefa cup and needlessly extending the ground, which meant we gave the appearance of slightly resting on our laurels in the league.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and to be fair we were planning for the long term in the Prem with some ambition beyond survival.

The thing is, I feel Burley was trying to maintain that philosophy by signing players like Counago and Gaardsoe - not to mention bringing through Darrens Bent and Ambrose. Sixto Peralta would have been a likely permanent addition as well had we stayed up. Unfortunately, too many of the established first-teamers had off seasons or lacked the mental toughness required - to go from bottom at Christmas to 12th by early February and then subside back into trouble was unforgivable.
Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 15:07 - Oct 1 with 3373 viewsITFC_Forever

Feels twice as long.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 17:04 - Oct 1 with 3311 viewsgt81

Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 14:52 - Oct 1 by patrickswell

The thing is, I feel Burley was trying to maintain that philosophy by signing players like Counago and Gaardsoe - not to mention bringing through Darrens Bent and Ambrose. Sixto Peralta would have been a likely permanent addition as well had we stayed up. Unfortunately, too many of the established first-teamers had off seasons or lacked the mental toughness required - to go from bottom at Christmas to 12th by early February and then subside back into trouble was unforgivable.

Not a specific reply to your post, but let us not forget that we lost Marcus Stewart to injury for a significant portion of that season. He was our most consistent producer the year we finished 5th.

He was coming off a career year, and never looked the same when he came back and neither did we.
Login to get fewer ads

Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 19:07 - Oct 1 with 3258 viewsWestSussexBlue

Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 06:47 - Oct 1 by TractorWood

Exactly right, The way Everton are suffering after Euro league games reminds me of Town in 2002.
Sad though, if we’d managed to stabilise that season we perhaps now would be like Swansea or West Brom and established in the top league.
Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 19:23 - Oct 1 with 3234 viewscbower

Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 14:52 - Oct 1 by patrickswell

This is so right. We had rone the hardest thing and seemed to be heading for mid table. The home hammering by Liverpool in February when we were both the "form" teams was massive. We just never got over it and sank like a stone.

bluescouser

Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 19:26 - Oct 1 with 3229 viewstcblue

We're playing well, by and large, we're competitive, we have great youth products coming through and we just don't have the resources other clubs have. This is Ipswich, and I'd have it no other way. Do you think Blackburn fans have as much enjoyment out of their Sugar Daddy title win than our fans did when it was won 'our' way?

But let's not be History FC, leave that to the Scousers and the Participants. COYB
Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 19:53 - Oct 1 with 3187 viewsPJH

Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 02:11 - Oct 1 by Minneapolis_ITFC

Promotion to the EPL in 2000 and the success of that season went in our favor as I believe they (top level club sides) weren't quite sure what to expect from us, and we caught a number of teams out. By 2001 - 02 it's fair to say they were ready for us and we weren't the surprise element as before. By comparison I look at the 1962 Championship success, two or three years thereafter the club had fallen into the old second division.

On the whole of it, and since falling away from the elite in 2002 there's been very little in the way of hope or expectation for fans of the club to indulge in. Three failed play off attempts that never reached final stage and a run in the League Cup or whatever the damn competition was recognized as at the time.

Best manager without question was Joe Royle in the time in question, the subsequent names i..e Magilton, Jewell and McCarthy could not, and have not, met with expectation and to be ruthless, Marcus Evans has set this club back considerably since his arrival. You get castigated at times for daring to say a bad word against the manager, but some will remain resolute there is no chance in hell this club will ever see premier league soccer again while the name remains in position.

Somehow I feel I'm wasting time with this but only reacting to what was read. We've no divine right to be in what league we choose but seriously, 15 / 16 years in this division now ? Been with it near every step of the way, and speak for so many when voicing it's been more than enough.

Ah 1962, one of my best years on this planet.
You are certainly correct about the surprise element being a large part of the success because (Sir) Alf Ramsey devised a unique formation which, in the days long before every game was analysed multiple times on video, took most teams a year to work out how to combat it.
In 1962/63 we had more injuries, teams knew how best to play against us and we were about to lose Alf to the England job.
In 1963/64 we were relegated.
Just seen that stat about us having played 700 Championship games since we were on 20:46 - Oct 2 with 2940 viewsMach_foreignBlue

It's very saddening and depressing indeed. Moreover you barely get positive vibes from the club nowadays. There is clear lack of ambition, just 'lets be hopeful and see what happens'. Painful it is but we're really a tinpot club in this poxy league. Yes we have had three managerial misfits/disasters but on the other hand the January 2015 was the moment where the owner could have invested to give us a real chance. The kind of similar scenario to where we had signed Marcus Stewart back in 2000.

Large number of our fans seem to accept current situation and this proves how low we have fallen. Modern football is crap blah blah, we hate current model of top flight football blah blah.... hilarious ! As patrickswell has mentioned some have been saying : 'Upper mid-table in the Championship will do us fine this year'. If that becomes a fact that will have given us fook all. You don't get an accolade or any kind of reward for finishing in the top half of Championship.
Or all this utter crap from some that the Championship is a nice, competitive and good league to be in. Dear me, 16 years in this terrible, poxy league and some find it as a good one.

Would really love my Ipswich to become a Premier League club again in my lifetime but I find it difficult to believe that it will ever happen. The David Wagner scenario seems to be the only chance for us.

Yep that 6-1 match against Leicester which followed opening 2-0 win at Walsall. I really thought we'd be on the quick way back. Unfortunately the manager and players had badly let us down and Joe Royle was forced to repair that mess. If only he was given money to spend ...
[Post edited 2 Oct 2017 20:49]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024