Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better 20:55 - Oct 10 with 22671 viewsDolly2.0

I'm sure it is (no pesticides, fresher etc.) but I imagine some of it is in the mind. It is quite a satisfying feeling eating something you've grown yourself.

Had lettuce leaves, spinach leaves and a radish plant from the garden with my dinner tonight. The lettuce leaves, especially, were delicious! Probably helped that they're the only things I didn't cook.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:58 - Oct 10 with 8692 viewsWeWereZombies

Was talking about this type of thing with a neighbour this morning - but from the aspect of buying stuff from a fruit and veg shop with a canny owner rather than the supermarket.

I feel that most of the product on the shelves of shops has taken a real downturn recently, say in the last fifteen or so months...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:09 - Oct 10 with 8669 viewsDolly2.0

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:58 - Oct 10 by WeWereZombies

Was talking about this type of thing with a neighbour this morning - but from the aspect of buying stuff from a fruit and veg shop with a canny owner rather than the supermarket.

I feel that most of the product on the shelves of shops has taken a real downturn recently, say in the last fifteen or so months...

If you don't mind me asking, why do you buy some from a fruit and veg shop and some from the supermarket?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:28 - Oct 10 with 8645 viewsblue_oyster

Some of it may be in the mind, but compared to supermarket produce it is far better, mainly because it is fresh and has not been in storage, sometimes for weeks before you buy it.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:36 - Oct 10 with 8635 viewsWeWereZombies

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:09 - Oct 10 by Dolly2.0

If you don't mind me asking, why do you buy some from a fruit and veg shop and some from the supermarket?

They are both round about the same distance (22 miles) from me but I have more occasion to go to the wee town where the supermarket is, and the fruit and veg shop opens when they feel like it whereas the supermarket has set opening times.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:45 - Oct 10 with 8616 viewsDubtractor

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:28 - Oct 10 by blue_oyster

Some of it may be in the mind, but compared to supermarket produce it is far better, mainly because it is fresh and has not been in storage, sometimes for weeks before you buy it.

Yep.

Plus it will be grown more naturally (in most cases!) meaning that rather than being forced or pumped full of water. The flip side of this is that some home grown stuff just doesn't come off.

Home grown carrots vs supermarket is like an entirely different taste.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 22:06 - Oct 10 with 8571 viewsDolly2.0

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:36 - Oct 10 by WeWereZombies

They are both round about the same distance (22 miles) from me but I have more occasion to go to the wee town where the supermarket is, and the fruit and veg shop opens when they feel like it whereas the supermarket has set opening times.

Ok. Guessing you're pretty rural then!

A shop opening when it feels like it seems like a strange business model to me.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 22:09 - Oct 10 with 8562 viewshoppy

Have you got one of those sausage plants? They taste a million dollars home-grown...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 22:13 - Oct 10 with 8556 viewsDolly2.0

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 21:45 - Oct 10 by Dubtractor

Yep.

Plus it will be grown more naturally (in most cases!) meaning that rather than being forced or pumped full of water. The flip side of this is that some home grown stuff just doesn't come off.

Home grown carrots vs supermarket is like an entirely different taste.

Funnily enough, my home grown carrots are the thing that hasn't come off!

Just two, very small ones, have come up.

Login to get fewer ads

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 22:14 - Oct 10 with 8555 viewsBackToRussia

Another factor to consider is that there's very little genetic diversity in the food you buy at the shop. The reason all cucumbers look the same is that is one cultivar of cucumber, and it hasn't been bred for taste.

Taste has been bred out of most commercial varieties as they have been breeding for uniformity of shape and colour. Basically aesthetic rather than nutritive considerations.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 22:22 - Oct 10 with 8539 viewsWeWereZombies

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 22:14 - Oct 10 by BackToRussia

Another factor to consider is that there's very little genetic diversity in the food you buy at the shop. The reason all cucumbers look the same is that is one cultivar of cucumber, and it hasn't been bred for taste.

Taste has been bred out of most commercial varieties as they have been breeding for uniformity of shape and colour. Basically aesthetic rather than nutritive considerations.

Also shelf life and resilience during transport are attractive to supermarkets - and tragic for consumers.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 07:46 - Oct 11 with 8431 viewsBackToRussia

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 22:13 - Oct 10 by Dolly2.0

Funnily enough, my home grown carrots are the thing that hasn't come off!

Just two, very small ones, have come up.

Carrots take a long time to germinate and usually get swamped by other quicker growing weeds. Make sure you water the patch you seeded for about 2 weeks as you'll still get germination up to then.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 07:56 - Oct 11 with 8412 viewsjeera

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 07:46 - Oct 11 by BackToRussia

Carrots take a long time to germinate and usually get swamped by other quicker growing weeds. Make sure you water the patch you seeded for about 2 weeks as you'll still get germination up to then.

Like loose soil too don't they? Like parsnips for obvious reasons.

I've had more success when mixing plenty of sharp sand into the soil when growing each of those. That was easy enough though tbf, as I grew them in deep containers rather than the ground.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 08:15 - Oct 11 with 8392 viewsDolly2.0

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 07:46 - Oct 11 by BackToRussia

I don't think water's the issue, we've had loads of rain.

My dad said he's planted carrots that haven't come up until the following year.

I've never used any compost/feed so maybe I should be getting some of those in to help things along.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 10:36 - Oct 11 with 8352 viewsBerlinBlue

The stuff you grow yourself or buy from organic shops/markets tastes better. As you say it's because of the lack of pesticides and other crap. Supermarket fruit and veg is grown with taste low down in the priority list, more important is yield and profit, and achieving that is the be-all and end-all for them.
And while we're on the subject, what is it with supermarkets and "ugly" fruit and veg? Wonky carrots don't taste any different to straight ones. Doesn't stop the supermarkets rejecting them so the farmers have to chuck them because they can't sell them. Does my head in.
Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 10:58 - Oct 11 with 8332 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 22:22 - Oct 10 by WeWereZombies

Also shelf life and resilience during transport are attractive to supermarkets - and tragic for consumers.

I agree with what everyone is saying on this thread in general terms, yep freshly grown veg with less chemicals taste better.
But it's not specifically "tragic" and to the detriment of consumers that supermarkets prioritise cost and shelf life. There are many people who need cheap and longer lasting fruit and veg, and who need to prioritise these factors over flavour and other issues.
Be great if everyone could afford, with both time and money, to produce and eat more flavoursome and organic food. But it's just not the reality. No point vilifying supermarkets etc just because they're seemingly easy targets. There's a reason they do what they do. Yes, profit, but it's supply and demand too.
Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 13:32 - Oct 11 with 8286 viewsWeWereZombies

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 10:58 - Oct 11 by Axeldalai_lama

I agree with what everyone is saying on this thread in general terms, yep freshly grown veg with less chemicals taste better.
But it's not specifically "tragic" and to the detriment of consumers that supermarkets prioritise cost and shelf life. There are many people who need cheap and longer lasting fruit and veg, and who need to prioritise these factors over flavour and other issues.
Be great if everyone could afford, with both time and money, to produce and eat more flavoursome and organic food. But it's just not the reality. No point vilifying supermarkets etc just because they're seemingly easy targets. There's a reason they do what they do. Yes, profit, but it's supply and demand too.

Except that you end up enduring years of tasteless and nutrionless crud, then one day you buy an apple that tastes like how you remember apples tasted and you realise that you have missed out on a lot of great stuff...

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 13:34 - Oct 11 with 8281 viewsSpruceMoose

The secret to the taste is air pollution!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/01/24/air-pollution-london-passes-levels

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 13:41 - Oct 11 with 8274 viewsVic

You cooked the radish?!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 14:08 - Oct 11 with 8253 viewsDolly2.0

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 13:41 - Oct 11 by Vic

You cooked the radish?!

In a stir fry, yes.

Something wrong with that?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 14:13 - Oct 11 with 8245 viewshoppy

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 14:08 - Oct 11 by Dolly2.0

In a stir fry, yes.

I thought it was just some kind of euphemism.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 14:13 - Oct 11 with 8245 viewsSpruceMoose

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 14:08 - Oct 11 by Dolly2.0

In a stir fry, yes.

Fairly certain that's illegal within the EU.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 14:19 - Oct 11 with 8238 viewsStirlingArcher

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 13:32 - Oct 11 by WeWereZombies

Except that you end up enduring years of tasteless and nutrionless crud, then one day you buy an apple that tastes like how you remember apples tasted and you realise that you have missed out on a lot of great stuff...

except it doesn't not on a commercial level...
Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 16:48 - Oct 11 with 8207 viewsgerard1947

I'm pretty much self sufficient in vegetables. Just been picking the tea as it happens. Picked parsnips and carrots add a potato and garlic for a tasty root mash. With it we'll have cabbage, leek and french beans. I plant a few french beans in July for a late crop.

This year I've grown some fantastic squash. They are called Delectia I think, you eat them skin and all. They taste just like chestnuts.

I know exactly what has gone on to my land and crops. The taste is completely different to shop bought. I've never understood why shop bought vegetables last so much longer in the fridge. It has to be additives.

I have to be careful what varieties of potatoes I grow to minimise blight and slug damage. Commercial spuds are sprayed most weeks during the summer.
Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 17:20 - Oct 11 with 8187 viewsbrogansnose

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 22:14 - Oct 10 by BackToRussia

When I was working abroad in Israel, who supplied a lot of produce like peppers, tomato's ect to M&S , we wondered why all the tasty vege went to the home market and the rest went to Britain. The answer was that the supermarket wanted perfect looking produce but taste was of secondary importance.

Obviously you can't beat going out to your garden or allotment and picking stuff and taking it straight to the table. It s going to win purely on freshness.
Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 17:23 - Oct 11 with 8184 viewsBluebell

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 08:15 - Oct 11 by Dolly2.0

I don't think water's the issue, we've had loads of rain.

My dad said he's planted carrots that haven't come up until the following year.

I've never used any compost/feed so maybe I should be getting some of those in to help things along.

I have never had any success with carrots.

All my other vegetables are really good. I grow runner beans, peas, potatoes, tomatoes, various peppers, different lettuces and beetroot and they are all really good. I have given up with carrots as I think they get eaten!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024