Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better 20:55 - Oct 10 with 22972 viewsDolly2.0

I'm sure it is (no pesticides, fresher etc.) but I imagine some of it is in the mind. It is quite a satisfying feeling eating something you've grown yourself.

Had lettuce leaves, spinach leaves and a radish plant from the garden with my dinner tonight. The lettuce leaves, especially, were delicious! Probably helped that they're the only things I didn't cook.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 17:26 - Oct 11 with 6193 viewsDubtractor

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 16:48 - Oct 11 by gerard1947

I'm pretty much self sufficient in vegetables. Just been picking the tea as it happens. Picked parsnips and carrots add a potato and garlic for a tasty root mash. With it we'll have cabbage, leek and french beans. I plant a few french beans in July for a late crop.

This year I've grown some fantastic squash. They are called Delectia I think, you eat them skin and all. They taste just like chestnuts.

I know exactly what has gone on to my land and crops. The taste is completely different to shop bought. I've never understood why shop bought vegetables last so much longer in the fridge. It has to be additives.

I have to be careful what varieties of potatoes I grow to minimise blight and slug damage. Commercial spuds are sprayed most weeks during the summer.

Digging up parsnips before we've had a frost?!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 17:31 - Oct 11 with 6182 viewsVic

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 14:08 - Oct 11 by Dolly2.0

In a stir fry, yes.

Something wrong with that?

Nope, excellent work. I had pictures of you bolining I thought with the spuds!

Never heard of it stir fried - good idea I reckon. Wdid it come out like? Nice little crispy, subtally spiced bite to it I'd think.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 17:33 - Oct 11 with 6180 viewsgerard1947

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 17:23 - Oct 11 by Bluebell

I have never had any success with carrots.

All my other vegetables are really good. I grow runner beans, peas, potatoes, tomatoes, various peppers, different lettuces and beetroot and they are all really good. I have given up with carrots as I think they get eaten!

Try growing your carrots under micro fleece. You can use it year after year, it keeps carrot flies away. I find carrots grow much bigger too.
Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 17:39 - Oct 11 with 6177 viewsgerard1947

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 08:15 - Oct 11 by Dolly2.0

I don't think water's the issue, we've had loads of rain.

My dad said he's planted carrots that haven't come up until the following year.

I've never used any compost/feed so maybe I should be getting some of those in to help things along.

Carrots are a bit temperamental. If they don't show in a few weeks plant some more. The main reason for poor germination is planting them too early when the soil is too cold.

Don't add compost or feed for carrots, makes the roots fork. Carrots like sandy soil best.
Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 17:53 - Oct 11 with 6157 viewsDolly2.0

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 17:23 - Oct 11 by Bluebell

I have never had any success with carrots.

All my other vegetables are really good. I grow runner beans, peas, potatoes, tomatoes, various peppers, different lettuces and beetroot and they are all really good. I have given up with carrots as I think they get eaten!

I want to try beetroot. Brilliant food for energy. I eat a lot of organic (supermarket bought) beetroot. T'was a revelation when I found out it wasn't only pre-cooked in a bag of vinegar.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 17:56 - Oct 11 with 6149 viewsDubtractor

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 17:53 - Oct 11 by Dolly2.0

I want to try beetroot. Brilliant food for energy. I eat a lot of organic (supermarket bought) beetroot. T'was a revelation when I found out it wasn't only pre-cooked in a bag of vinegar.

Roasted beetroot is lovely.

One of the easiest things to grow too, just don't plant too thickly and thin out seedlings (make good salad leaves) to leave at least a few inches per root.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 18:00 - Oct 11 with 6142 viewsDolly2.0

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 17:31 - Oct 11 by Vic

Nope, excellent work. I had pictures of you bolining I thought with the spuds!

Never heard of it stir fried - good idea I reckon. Wdid it come out like? Nice little crispy, subtally spiced bite to it I'd think.

There weren't any spuds!

How you describe is usually how radishes come out when stir fried (when I've just got a pack of the bulbs from the supermarket). On this occasion is was just one bulb, with the stems and leaves, all chopped up. It was mixed in with the spinach leaves, leek and broccoli (both supermarket). Fried in walnut oil and Lurpak.

So i didn't really notice the individual flavour of the radish plant.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 18:03 - Oct 11 with 6133 viewsjeera

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 18:00 - Oct 11 by Dolly2.0

There weren't any spuds!

How you describe is usually how radishes come out when stir fried (when I've just got a pack of the bulbs from the supermarket). On this occasion is was just one bulb, with the stems and leaves, all chopped up. It was mixed in with the spinach leaves, leek and broccoli (both supermarket). Fried in walnut oil and Lurpak.

Tried mooli? Long Asian white radish.

Sorry if that sounds patronising. You may already use it knowingly.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 18:03 - Oct 11 with 6131 viewschicoazul

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 14:08 - Oct 11 by Dolly2.0

In a stir fry, yes.

Something wrong with that?

Where to start with this. Cooked radish in a stir-fry, my god.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2017 18:04]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 18:04 - Oct 11 with 6129 viewsSpruceMoose

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 18:00 - Oct 11 by Dolly2.0

There weren't any spuds!

"Fried in walnut oil and Lurpak".

Sounds a bit unhealthy...

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 18:28 - Oct 11 with 6100 viewsbluejake78

I've got three large pots of Maris Piper spuds growing with the intention of harvesting this Xmas....knocks Auntie Betty out of the game.
Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 18:56 - Oct 11 with 6084 viewsgerard1947

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 17:26 - Oct 11 by Dubtractor

Digging up parsnips before we've had a frost?!

Couldn't wait, plenty more left post frost. Sprouts, leeks and parsnips all taste better for a good frost.
Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:04 - Oct 11 with 6079 viewsBackToRussia

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 08:15 - Oct 11 by Dolly2.0

I don't think water's the issue, we've had loads of rain.

My dad said he's planted carrots that haven't come up until the following year.

I've never used any compost/feed so maybe I should be getting some of those in to help things along.

Plenty of rain? Maybe in London but in Suffolk it was a very dry summer.

Anyway, you need to keep a direct seeded bed moist 100% of the time until seedling emergence. You cannot let it dry out for even a day. Imagine how small the seedlings are when they first germinate. Not visible to the eye. If you had a dry spell you could have lost your entire crop. Carrots are finicky enough to germinate. They need consistent temps and moisture.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:35 - Oct 11 with 6054 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 16:48 - Oct 11 by gerard1947

I'm pretty much self sufficient in vegetables. Just been picking the tea as it happens. Picked parsnips and carrots add a potato and garlic for a tasty root mash. With it we'll have cabbage, leek and french beans. I plant a few french beans in July for a late crop.

This year I've grown some fantastic squash. They are called Delectia I think, you eat them skin and all. They taste just like chestnuts.

I know exactly what has gone on to my land and crops. The taste is completely different to shop bought. I've never understood why shop bought vegetables last so much longer in the fridge. It has to be additives.

I have to be careful what varieties of potatoes I grow to minimise blight and slug damage. Commercial spuds are sprayed most weeks during the summer.

We had a little gem lettuce in the fridge and 3 weeks after the use by date it still hadn't wilted....can't work it out.
Autumn raspberries are my garden favourite at the moment as well as still getting tomatoes out of the greenhouse. Grew white, yellow and red/white ring beetroot this year (white ones taste great. Wish I had put late beans in.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:39 - Oct 11 with 6050 viewsVic

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 18:28 - Oct 11 by bluejake78

I've got three large pots of Maris Piper spuds growing with the intention of harvesting this Xmas....knocks Auntie Betty out of the game.

Maris Piper make good roasties, but King Edward are even better!

Make sure you boil them for a few minutes first, until the outside is soft. Drain the water then replace the saucepan lid and give them a really good shake. This will leave them fluffy. Transfer them to roasting time, coat with oil and then roast until dark, golden brown.

Beautiful roasties.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:40 - Oct 11 with 6048 viewsSpruceMoose

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:39 - Oct 11 by Vic

Maris Piper make good roasties, but King Edward are even better!

Make sure you boil them for a few minutes first, until the outside is soft. Drain the water then replace the saucepan lid and give them a really good shake. This will leave them fluffy. Transfer them to roasting time, coat with oil and then roast until dark, golden brown.

Beautiful roasties.

Sounds like a good recipe...

...for heart failure.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:47 - Oct 11 with 6034 viewsVic

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:40 - Oct 11 by SpruceMoose

...for heart failure.

agreed. Wouldn't be a good idea for a moose to eat these. But you cannot have a good roastIe without some olive oil on them when roasting. It's where most go wrong!

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:48 - Oct 11 with 6033 viewsSpruceMoose

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:47 - Oct 11 by Vic

agreed. Wouldn't be a good idea for a moose to eat these. But you cannot have a good roastIe without some olive oil on them when roasting. It's where most go wrong!

Olive oil? Sounds a bit continental to me. Shouldn't it be lard or something?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:54 - Oct 11 with 6031 viewsgerard1947

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:35 - Oct 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

We had a little gem lettuce in the fridge and 3 weeks after the use by date it still hadn't wilted....can't work it out.
Autumn raspberries are my garden favourite at the moment as well as still getting tomatoes out of the greenhouse. Grew white, yellow and red/white ring beetroot this year (white ones taste great. Wish I had put late beans in.

That's what I mean. Pick a little gem from the garden put it in the fridge it will be wilted in a day or two. What ever do they treat them with to last 3 weeks.

Autumn raspberries so much sweeter than summer ones. They freeze well too.

Beetroot is underrated. I like it roasted and in vegetable hotspots.

Next year check out Premier Seeds, only on eBay. A fantastic selection, so cheap most seeds 99p pack or less and really full packs.
Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:55 - Oct 11 with 6030 viewsjimsymBLUE

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:40 - Oct 11 by SpruceMoose

...for heart failure.

Counteract the lovely roast potato induced congestive heart failure by chucking in a few bulbs of garlic into the mix, not much better than gooey caramelised garlic to spread on your roasties. Incredibly easy to grow too, first time this year...loads hanging in the shed.

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:05 - Oct 11 with 6014 viewsjeera

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:55 - Oct 11 by jimsymBLUE

Counteract the lovely roast potato induced congestive heart failure by chucking in a few bulbs of garlic into the mix, not much better than gooey caramelised garlic to spread on your roasties. Incredibly easy to grow too, first time this year...loads hanging in the shed.

Absolutely, with a few sprigs of fresh rosemary.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:16 - Oct 11 with 6005 viewsBackToRussia

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:54 - Oct 11 by gerard1947

That's what I mean. Pick a little gem from the garden put it in the fridge it will be wilted in a day or two. What ever do they treat them with to last 3 weeks.

Autumn raspberries so much sweeter than summer ones. They freeze well too.

Beetroot is underrated. I like it roasted and in vegetable hotspots.

Next year check out Premier Seeds, only on eBay. A fantastic selection, so cheap most seeds 99p pack or less and really full packs.

As a general rule it doesn't pay to skimp on good seeds.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:17 - Oct 11 with 6004 viewsVic

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 19:48 - Oct 11 by SpruceMoose

Olive oil? Sounds a bit continental to me. Shouldn't it be lard or something?

No lard, or goose fat - that really is in heart attack territory! And cooked as described the lard/fat really isn't necessary.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:18 - Oct 11 with 6002 viewsSpruceMoose

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:17 - Oct 11 by Vic

No lard, or goose fat - that really is in heart attack territory! And cooked as described the lard/fat really isn't necessary.

I remain skeptical.

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:20 - Oct 11 with 5999 viewsVic

Funny how food from the garden seems to taste so much better on 20:18 - Oct 11 by SpruceMoose

I remain skeptical.

Try it, it would s propose upmyour roast no end. Oh, and make sure you have the oven hot enough - 160' for 2 hours (from a cold oven). Hmmmm!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024